• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

standalone Ghost of Tsushima: Legends contains "In-Game Purchases" according to ESRB

are you ok with Ghost of Tsushima : Legends featuring MTX

• Total voters

Bartski

Gold Member
The biggest post launch update to Ghost of Tsushima multiplayer mode drops tomorrow, containing 2 new Nightmare Survival maps, new Nightmare challenge mode for parts of RAID, and "RIVALS" a brand new 2vs2 PvP mode with some rumored major overhauls to class balance, a ton of new unlockables, new upgrades and more.

Many fans including myself consider Legends probably the most substantial 100% free DLC update to any Sony 1st party release ever. A game mode containing zero MTX while being what seems like a perfect platform for it.

Now having reached the status of a standalone release (out 03.09) it looks like this is due to change - the just published ESRB rating for the game clearly outlines "In-Game Purchases (PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5)", none of such were present in Legends up until this point.

While it makes perfect sense and shows a great promise of future development and sustainability of the project, it is also concerning as such features have never been mentioned by Sony or Sucker Punch as of now.

In his review of Legends SkillUp called it the multiplayer mode putting other games like The Avengers to shame. Let's hope that whatever future there is planned for it now - it will stay that way.

Last edited:

Aion002

Cosmetics: Cool! Make cool stuff and I might pay for it. Like in Uncharted.

Gameplay stuff: Yeah... After the shit show that was TLU mp... I am out.

New stages: Like Destiny expansions... I might be interested.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Honestly, I don't mind that much either. I would really like to see this mode / standalone game to thrive and keep delivering content with proper maintenance and updates.

I have a feeling this might be about both cosmetics and in-game currency, especially "honor" that is tough to grind and you need it to re-roll item stats while making builds. We'll soon find out.

Bartski

Gold Member
maybe the in-game purchase is to unlock the full game in case you played the MP only edition and wanted the full package rather than MTX
that's a good point, but not sure if ESRB uses the same terminology if it relates to an in-game version upgrade. No idea.

JoeBudden

if you own the base game yeah but this whole thing is Legends is made standalone as a $20 option for those that don't own Ghosts

Yeah you guys are right.

I'm curious though, who is honestly going to buy the standalone if they don't want the full game lol. Id be curious to see the sales numbers on the standalone in 6 months.

elliot5

that's a good point, but not sure if ESRB uses the same terminology if it relates to an in-game version upgrade. No idea.
Miles Morales offered a choice to upgrade to the enhanced edition with Spider-Man Remastered didn't it? Doesn't look like ESRB labeled that as having in game purchases so maybe my theory is trash

Bartski

Gold Member
Miles Morales offered a choice to upgrade to the enhanced edition with Spider-Man Remastered didn't it? Doesn't look like ESRB labeled that as having in game purchases so maybe my theory is trash

Bryank75

Banned
Of course.... this is Jim Ryan's PlayStation!!

He is increasing prices for users on PS, making as much cross-gen as he can, putting games on PC, closing down studios, opening mobile studios and pushing cloud gaming..... of course MTX will be in most of what he oversees at PlayStation.

Guy is just looking at profit, doesn't give a FUCK about the brand or its legacy.

SLB1904

Banned
Of course.... this is Jim Ryan's PlayStation!!

He is increasing prices for users on PS, making as much cross-gen as he can, putting games on PC, closing down studios, opening mobile studios and pushing cloud gaming..... of course MTX will be in most of what he oversees at PlayStation.

Guy is just looking at profit, doesn't give a FUCK about the brand or its legacy.
Dude don't look under your bed at night. Jim is there!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The biggest post launch update to Ghost of Tsushima multiplayer mode drops tomorrow, containing 2 new Nightmare Survival maps, new Nightmare challenge mode for parts of RAID, and "RIVALS" a brand new 2vs2 PvP mode with some rumored major overhauls to class balance, a ton of new unlockables, new upgrades and more.

Many fans including myself consider Legends probably the most substantial 100% free DLC update to any Sony 1st party release ever. A game mode containing zero MTX while being what seems like a perfect platform for it.

Now having reached the status of a standalone release (out 03.09) it looks like this is due to change - the just published ESRB rating for the game clearly outlines "In-Game Purchases (PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5)", none of such were present in Legends up until this point.

While it makes perfect sense and shows a great promise of future development and sustainability of the project, it is also concerning as such features have never been mentioned by Sony or Sucker Punch as of now.

In his review of Legends SkillUp called it the multiplayer mode putting other games like The Avengers to shame. Let's hope that whatever future there is planned for it now - it will stay that way.

I'm not sure if there will be any MTX. But for LEGENDS to live for years to come it needs constant support and MTX so you would get free DLC's and more events and modes. I honestly think MTX done right are good for such games, it even helped Assassin's Creed a lot and they've offered so much content for free.

Last edited:
Top Bottom