• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen’s Single-Player Squadron 42 Gets Spectacular Trailer; Crowdfunding Passes $259 Million

Mista

Banned
top__id1539247981_343178.jpg

Today Cloud Imperium Games had a small but lovely Christmas gift for the fans of Star Citizen and especially of its single-player component Squadron 42.

The developer released a new trailer focusing on visuals, showing off the work that was done by the team on the game in 2019. There are certainly some really spectacular vistas in there.

We get to see characters, starships, beautiful environment, and more. In particular, we take a look at some new ships created for our arch-enemies, the Vanduul

In other Star Citizen news, the crowdfunding total has skyrocketed beyond $259 million in the past few days

More precisely, it’s at $259,140,174 at the moment of this writing.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Looks amazing. Star Citizen is still the only PC game that I have ever wanted to play. While highly unlikely, im hoping that it hits next gen consoles.

Looks amazing. Star Citizen is still the only PC game that I have ever wanted to play. While highly unlikely, im hoping that it hits next gen consoles.
I have totally opposite feeling. It was planned to hit next gen for years now imo. Even an underclocked 8c 16t Zen 2 will be certainly able to handle this game at 30fps locked. I think this will absolutely hit next gen at the end of it.

gifgaf

Ignore this post, I am wrong and can play the game I paid for, my bad.

Nothing.

I was an original backer way back when. I left it alone after playing about with the early game and expected to come back to it when it became more of a fully fleshed out game. Recently I logged into my account and even though I'm an original backer and had access to the "game" way back when, I have to pay another $40+ to play the game now. Fuck that.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Was just complaining the last citizencon didn't have anything on Squadron 42. Nice teaser (but you got me overhyped calling it a spectacular new trailer, it isn't that, it's a teaser as it's called and mostly shows assets that might as well be from Star Citizen, not Squadron 42 specifically, save for the actual cut scene bits).

Last edited:

Madonis

I'll start to care when the single player game (this part of Star Citizen, in other words) is finally released.

All I ever wanted from this project was a new Wing Commander game. Admittedly, I didn't participate in the crowdfunding, so nothing's been lost there.

Before that, I am taking all these trailers and announcements with a grain of salt. One big grain of salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Great visual trailer and Star Citizen alpha 3.8 is the start of multi-crew gameplay with the Argo Mole. Multi-crew gameplay already is a bit in the game with mission sharing, but not all areas in ships are function for different professions.

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
I havent kept up with this other than seeing threads popping up on forums occasionally but it seems like this has been going on a long time. Is there an actual release date or window for this? As with NMS, what do you do?? Is it going to have a good single player? I always read about all the money this game has generated, what do they have to show for it and if they really are bringing in all kinds of money what is the hold up? How big is the game going to be?

Edit:. I just watched that alpha 3.8 video, wow the worlds look amazing but that combat and driving look ridiculous and out of place

Edit

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I havent kept up with this other than seeing threads popping up on forums occasionally but it seems like this has been going on a long time. Is there an actual release date or window for this? As with NMS, what do you do?? Is it going to have a good single player? I always read about all the money this game has generated, what do they have to show for it and if they really are bringing in all kinds of money what is the hold up? How big is the game going to be?
Dunno about release windows, there probably are some but I don't even care to look, it'll be cool to see when it drops regardless of any built anticipation beforehand for any specific date or year. Seeing the progress is cool though. As for what you do.
Squadron 42 is modern Wing Commander (relatively linear narrative driven action space opera with player protagonist), Star Citizen is modern Privateer MMORPG (open universe sandbox make your own fortune as one or many a la Elite Dangerous with breadth as well as depth like Eve Online). It's not rocket science...

It's as simple as that, both use the same underlying technology and systems, what features one or the other has like on-foot segments/fps mechanics/mining/building/player economies/whatever, those simple words above are their core values (or rather the intent, we'll see what materializes beyond the tech demos)...
As for what they have to show, it's in threads like this that you said you notice (and Snake29's post). The hold up is shit take time (and money, and they use up both, setting up multiple studios worldwide and paying folks to work in them, that's how it works). The Star Citizen portion is massive. The massivest (lol).

What does it matter? It either comes out or not, you either see it in (digital) stores some day or not, just enjoy the media and playable alphas, or don't. Nobody's forcing you to get hyped or to be interested, though even if I had 0 interest in the whole genre what they're attempting to build is cool to see. But that's me. You do you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I have totally opposite feeling. It was planned to hit next gen for years now imo. Even an underclocked 8c 16t Zen 2 will be certainly able to handle this game at 30fps locked. I think this will absolutely hit next gen at the end of it.

I hope so. Gives me Stargate vibes in a lot of what I have seen. Looks great and seems to play great.

Hostile_18

Banned
Theres obviously a latent need for an all encompassing space sim I never knew existed amongst alot of gamers.

Sadly I'm not one of them, but happy for everyone that will enjoy this game. They really need to knuckle down, stop adding features and ship a full product though.

Feels a bit like Duke Nukem Forever, the pressure of wanting to create the best game ever eventually broke them.

dcll

Banned
I saw a video on YouTube after I saw this thread, it really felt like the guy making the video was shilling for the game. He was way too excited about what I was seeing which didn't look exciting at all.

Last edited:
Star citizen trailers are like rattiling the collection plate at Sunday Mass. The indoctrinated put their money in and hope for miracles.

This 'game' pushes the most powerful computers to the max so that only the worthy and initiated may bask in its' glory.

The rest of the paupers in the congregation get to hear the tales of what will be, a life beyond this one as a star citizen.

And just like all good religions its built on good intentions, corrupted by men who just want to make a few bucks.

Don't be fooled.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Star citizen trailers are like rattiling the collection plate at Sunday Mass. The indoctrinated put their money in and hope for miracles.

This 'game' pushes the most powerful computers to the max so that only the worthy and initiated may bask in its' glory.

The rest of the paupers in the congregation get to hear the tales of what will be, a life beyond this one as a star citizen.

And just like all good religions its built on good intentions, corrupted by men who just want to make a few bucks.

Don't be fooled.
Or....it's just a videogame

I'll start to care when the single player game (this part of Star Citizen, in other words) is finally released.

All I ever wanted from this project was a new Wing Commander game. Admittedly, I didn't participate in the crowdfunding, so nothing's been lost there.

Before that, I am taking all these trailers and announcements with a grain of salt. One big grain of salt.

This is basically how I feel. I wanted an updated space opera campaign a la Wing Commander/Freespace. Now it's mutated into this bloated, feature creep mess, and the devs have discovered a niche crowd of morons that will happily pay hundreds of dollars for ships.

I won't lie, the tech looks pretty fuckin impressive, but I really wish they would focus on the campaign and release it. Sadly, they probably see it as an afterthought because the real money is being made on the other side of it.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I saw a video on YouTube after I saw this thread, it really felt like the guy making the video was shilling for the game. He was way too excited about what I was seeing which didn't look exciting at all.

Looks great to me? don't know what's wrong with it. Looks more like you already didn't liked the project at all.

dcll

Banned
I don't know much about it at all, indifferent but going by that video it wasn't blowing me away. I am more interested in single player things, this looked to be aimless wondering around. Yes I know it may be just how it looked in this video, that is all I am going by

manfestival

The trailer for squadron 42 didn't really show anything other than scenic and observer mode shots. Was kinda hoping for something that actually showed single player but I guess I will be patient and hop back on my mustang while hammerheads blow me out of the sky. At least I can assassinate the pilots of these nicer ships if I can sneak on board in the mean time.

manfestival

That actually sounds like fun!
It is absolutely hilarious. Sometimes people don't realize they have been killed but I like for them to see me before I off them in game. The game doesn't state your name so they freak out in chat asking who was it. Sometimes I sit in their ship while they warp and do stuff in space. The moment they get up from their seat. It's like they realize the boogey man is with them. They also freak out and ask a ton of questions lol

Larxia

Really generic art direction.
What do you find so generic about it? I think it looks really good, it's just an attempt at a "realistic" looking space game, and it does that really well.
Do you prefer the games with weird looking planets with flashy colors and giant plants? Like No Man's Sky, Outer Worlds, some Destiny planets etc? Because that's something I really don't like and I find this a lot more generic actually, because all space games who try to have this more "exotic" look always give me the exact same vibe, and I prefer more "realistic" look like here in Star Citizen.

Birdo

Banned
What do you find so generic about it? I think it looks really good, it's just an attempt at a "realistic" looking space game, and it does that really well.
Do you prefer the games with weird looking planets with flashy colors and giant plants? Like No Man's Sky, Outer Worlds, some Destiny planets etc? Because that's something I really don't like and I find this a lot more generic actually, because all space games who try to have this more "exotic" look always give me the exact same vibe, and I prefer more "realistic" look like here in Star Citizen.

I just think they could have used a little more style, rather than going with that sterile realistic look. At least for some places.

The alien race was what made me post the comment. I felt like I was watching some generic Sci-Fi channel show.

The same goes for Elite Dangerous. I'd call that dull looking too (I know it's supposed to be realistic, but come on, this is sci-fi. Let the artists have some fun and take liberties).

Larxia

I just think they could have used a little more style, rather than going with that sterile realistic look. At least for some places.

The alien race was what made me post the comment. I felt like I was watching some generic Sci-Fi channel show.

The same goes for Elite Dangerous. I'd call that dull looking too (I know it's supposed to be realistic, but come on, this is sci-fi. Let the artists have some fun and take liberties).
Well Elite Dangerous takes place in our own real galaxy and tries to replicate it as close as possible with real datas etc, you can even go in our solar system, so it's logical that it's not more crazy looking.

mckmas8808

Banned

At the end of it? It should be within the first 2 years. Easy!

V4skunk

Banned
Their last LIVE build is also incredible! (new planet tech + new planet + big performance boost)
The console plebs are not happy with the technical superiority of Star Citizen and the fact that it might not even run on next gen consoles.
They simply do not understand how far ahead the technology of this game is.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I really want the game to succeed but they're still just showing us a bunch of pretty images. What content they have to play and test is really fleeting.

Top Bottom