• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen’s Single-Player Squadron 42 Gets Spectacular Trailer; Crowdfunding Passes $259 Million

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
People claiming they stole access to the game you bought/acquired/whatever, no, you're most likely just going to the wrong page (and somehow don't care to explore your account). The Fly/Play Now pages are generic store pages whether you're logged in or not, the download page is elsewhere. It's not great design but come on.

Last edited:
Nothing.

I was an original backer way back when. I left it alone after playing about with the early game and expected to come back to it when it became more of a fully fleshed out game. Recently I logged into my account and even though I'm an original backer and had access to the "game" way back when, I have to pay another $40+ to play the game now. Fuck that.
This is an outright lie and you know it. I’m an original backer and haven’t spent an extra dime on the game and can still play with no issues. You’re intentionally spreading misinformation to further some bullshit circle jerk.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Great visual trailer and Star Citizen alpha 3.8 is the start of multi-crew gameplay with the Argo Mole. Multi-crew gameplay already is a bit in the game with mission sharing, but not all areas in ships are function for different professions.

Wow! The melee part they showed looked REALLY bad. Looked like early Xbox 360 era bad.

Lol the technology is way beyond any thing else.
Lol you can't be serious, this game does not look like it took $250 million to make it, not even close.

The console plebs are not happy with the technical superiority of Star Citizen and the fact that it might not even run on next gen consoles.
They simply do not understand how far ahead the technology of this game is.
The fact that you said that it required a 2080 Ti and i7/Ryzen proved that this game can run on next gen consoles. Doesn't really seem like your defense of this game is working out very well, as it looks outdated in many areas. This whole project is just a mess.

I'd understand your point if we were talking current gen because of their CPU's, and a PS4 Pro would have a tough time running this at low settings... but as far as we know about next gen consoles, they are no joke.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wow! The melee part they showed looked REALLY bad. Looked like early Xbox 360 era bad.
I mean, the fact you can even melee in such a game is pretty crazy, lol. In most contemporaries your avatar is your current ship, never mind a character. And if there's a character at all it's kinda shit overall with little point, like in the latest X games. And how good or bad a small mechanic like that in a freaking space mmorpg thing is has absolutely zero to do with hardware generations.There were good melee combat games and bad melee combat games since the dawn of gaming. Most however were actually focusing on that one feature. This isn't God Hand or Devil May Cry, lol. It's just a thing they just added, that's like being down on any current FPS because its "melee attack" button doesn't result in Tekken like combos, special moves, throws, blocks, counters and so on, claiming that therefor it's not any more modern than the original arcade Shinobi regardless of all it does.

Last edited:

gatti-man

Nothing.

I was an original backer way back when. I left it alone after playing about with the early game and expected to come back to it when it became more of a fully fleshed out game. Recently I logged into my account and even though I'm an original backer and had access to the "game" way back when, I have to pay another $40+ to play the game now. Fuck that.
Wait so we won’t have access to the game when it’s finished? or to play the rough alpha right now. Because that’s bullshit if I can’t play the finished product without more money.

nvm I see it’s bullshit

Last edited:

gifgaf

This is an outright lie and you know it. I’m an original backer and haven’t spent an extra dime on the game and can still play with no issues. You’re intentionally spreading misinformation to further some bullshit circle jerk.
You know what your absolutely right! except for saying I'm intentionally spreading missinformation, I had no reason to lie.

I was just about to post a screenshot of my account showing you that I had the original backers pledge and showing you that I could not play the game but seems I can now play it. I promise you a month ago when I checked, it was asking me to pay $45 to play but now all is ok. My bad. I will edit my post and own my screw up.

I apologise to everyone here for misleading.

Time to try it out.

Last edited:

Bootzilla

Banned
Squadron 42 is the only part of this I think has any chance to become a releasable product. The rest is just a vortex of feature creep. Hopefully they will eventually focus enough of their resources on the more attainable goal of shipping S42.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Ignore this post, I am wrong and can play the game I paid for, my bad.

Nothing.

Thank you for correcting your post with updated information.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Lol the technology is way beyond any thing else.
There is more to making games than just having impressive tech. How is the actual game itself gonna turn out? The level design, boss fight and combat?

The impression I got from watching DF video on this game is the developers just tying to cram as much “tech” as they can and kind of forgetting about designing the actual game. I could be completely wrong about this but that’s impression I’m getting from everything I saw from this game so far.

Last edited:

Sentenza

There is more to making games than just having impressive tech. How is the actual game itself gonna turn out? The level design, boss fight and combat?
I'm sorry, but... What the fuck are you even talking about? It's a space sim with a side dish of FPS gameplay, not Devil May Cry.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It's not, this is an interactive marketing campaign that releases a steady stream of dreams to raise money.

Like this 'trailer, there is no gameplay, no story, none of the high profile actors are seen, it's just some art assets being shown to give the impression that a game looking like this will come if enough money is sent.

This one is from 2 years back:

And we have this trailer:

Maybe you need to start reading before you talk a lot. It’s a visual teaser and not a gameplay trailer. Getting a bit tired of people like you acting as if your noses are bleeding.

Last edited:
So what have they been doing the past 2 years in the most open development ever ? I know, let's check the roadmap.

Ek9sTCI.jpg

Left is 2019 and right is 2018 December 20th. In the past year, the hundreds of developers have spent tens of millions to get about 10 of the 28 chapters one step along. Nothing has been completed past stage 2 despite the 2018 roadmap having everything at stage 3 or 4 in Q4 2019. What the fuck is this and why do people accept it ?

MHubert

I wouldn't hold your breath. You need a super top spec pc now to run it. I'm talking 2080ti grade build with a powerful I7 or Ryzen.

I played it on a PC with a GTX 1600 and an i5 (with settings tuned to performance ofc).
The game ran fine.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm sorry, but... What the fuck are you even talking about? It's a space sim with a side dish of FPS gameplay, not Devil May Cry.
DMC are not only games that have proper level design and boss fights and also from I can understand this game still will have SP mode does it not? So still needs have enemy encounter and proper mechanics, does it not?

JCK75

I purchased basic access to the game and I've still yet to try it.. I REALLY need to make time to do that because personally I think it looks amazing.

Starfield

IMPORTANT PSA FOR NEW CITIZENS:

Be sure to install this game on an SSD otherwise you WILL have performance issues. I'm not talking about longer loading times, I'm talking about stutter and freezes.

iHaunter

What makes this game worth all of this money?

I must admit I'm pretty deep in, but the tech they have available NOW is far beyond anything that's existed. Makes EVE look like a middle school project. Can do some stuff, but I'm waiting for the game play to be more polished. Think that's slated for Q2 2020.

I really want the game to succeed but they're still just showing us a bunch of pretty images. What content they have to play and test is really fleeting.

But you can play the Alpha now... They have multiple planets, moons, gameplay loops in place incl. mining.

Last edited:
I know everyone is saying this game is a scam...but why? Is it because they made promises too big to fulfill in a reasonable time frame?

Last edited:

Rudelord

I remember being in college and pledging in.
I'm now working and probably not gonna have the free time needed to really sink time into the multiplayer portion like I could. Growing up sucks balls.

I can’t understand all the hate and the scam mongering surrounding this game. I am not a financial supporter and care not to give my money for a pipe dream that I feel is unlikely to release any time in the next ten years but I can see why some people are drawn in.

Sure. Maybe it Is never going to come out. But if any of you have played a game like clash of clans or dominations or any of the mobile games with pay to win avenues they will see the whales spending thousands upon thousands of dollars (stupidly I might ad I mean if you’ve got that much money to burn on that stupid crap I just don’t know...) to buy in game upgrades and get to the top first.

Seeing the way those game and profit markets work is it not a positive thing for people to sink their money into a dream of a game that is star citizen? If they keep pumping money into this thing surely eventually it has to pay off right? Even if the idea is beyond current tech. I dunno if there’s anything wrong with that. I can understand why it annoys people and being basically flat out poor myself I could never afford anything but buying the game if it one day becomes available. But, you need to ask yourself why it gets your knickers in a twist that people are willing to part with their own cash to something like this.

Whether it is a ‘scam’ or not from my perspective they’re selling a dream of some potential future game that could be utterly incredible if they pull it off. If rich pricks want to sink money into something like that what is so wrong with that? I’d prefer them to waste their money this potential future ‘impossible dream’ awesomeness rather than waste it on pay to win mobile games.

Last edited:
You know what your absolutely right! except for saying I'm intentionally spreading missinformation, I had no reason to lie.

I was just about to post a screenshot of my account showing you that I had the original backers pledge and showing you that I could not play the game but seems I can now play it. I promise you a month ago when I checked, it was asking me to pay $45 to play but now all is ok. My bad. I will edit my post and own my screw up.

I apologise to everyone here for misleading.

Time to try it out.
No worries and sorry for jumping at you like that. There’s no excuse for that behavior. I don’t know what happened last time you logged in but I’m glad that it didn’t happen again for you. I’m so used to people spreading misinformation about this game on Reddit that it really gets in my nerves. Hope you had a great Christmas and a Happy New Years!

Insane that this entered production in 2011 and 2020 is less than a week away. Production cycles of this length are generally not a good sign of things to come.

It’s going to get worse before it gets better. Until devs can offload more and more of the time consuming programming and development pot holes to neural nets we’re stuck in this two or three big triple A games a year trend which is sad but also exciting because the more neural net development they make the more it stacks up and shortens dev procedures. Problem is that games and gamers keep wanting more and move complex worlds so as the dev period shortens it also continues to lengthen.

I must admit I'm pretty deep in, but the tech they have available NOW is far beyond anything that's existed. Makes EVE look like a middle school project. Can do some stuff, but I'm waiting for the game play to be more polished. Think that's slated for Q2 2020.

When SC manages to get more then 50 people at once interacting you can shit on EVE. Which is never, all the over complicated nonsense will crush performance and stability above that.
Note how the key feature on this CitizenCon was not the space MMO SC was supposed to be but an instanced sci fi FPS shooter. Something their engine can actually do.

Starfield

T
When SC manages to get more then 50 people at once interacting you can shit on EVE. Which is never, all the over complicated nonsense will crush performance and stability above that.
Note how the key feature on this CitizenCon was not the space MMO SC was supposed to be but an instanced sci fi FPS shooter. Something their engine can actually do.
That IS true. The performance WILL turn to shit when alot of players are in your area. During citizencon when the convention center opened Ingame and everyone was able to fly all the big ships the server and client performance were dogshit...but what you also have to take in count is that this is why they are still implementing tech like Server Sided Object Container Streaming (Ssocs) or Server Meshing to improve server performance and hopefully client performance. Also the game isnt really build for current tech in mind. In a year or two cpus and gpus will be again much faster and better and the overall standard will increase.

With the new ssds that are coming out regular ones are already getting dirt cheap so that shouldn't be a problem either anymore. A 250gb ssd costs around 30€ on amazon

I think they even said when the game launches in retail stores it will be pre-installed on a SSD and if the game and by that time the game actually releases it shouldnt be that much of a cost

Sentenza

You... have no idea of what you are talking about?
Theaters of War, the battlefield-like optional mode they are introducing, was in NO WAY the central attraction of this last Citizencon and by their own admission they are putting it together with recycled assets from the permanent universe as some sort of testing bed for mid-to-large scale battles.

iHaunter

I really want the game to succeed but they're still just showing us a bunch of pretty images. What content they have to play and test is really fleeting.

They can do 50 people now, but the over 50 you're talking about is server meshing which is coming in Q2 of 2020 I believe. I don't know what you're arguing about, EVE is the most boring game I've tried to play.

MHubert

I personally think the dynamic economy tech stole the show.

Last edited:
Following community complaints that there's been no news since March, CIG is blessing us with the announcement of a roadmap of a preview of a mockup of a work in progress partial roadmap:

In the immediate future, we plan to deliver the following communications:
  1. Give an explanation of the goals of our new Roadmap and what to expect from it
  2. Show a rough mockup of the proposed new Roadmap
  3. Share a work in progress version of the Roadmap for at least one of our core teams
  4. And then finally transition to this new Roadmap
We’ll approach them in the order above, and we’ll likely need a few weeks between steps

If you're an early backer you were scammed. If you're a late backer you're an idiot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom