• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen’s Single-Player Squadron 42 Gets Spectacular Trailer; Crowdfunding Passes $259 Million

Starfield

Following community complaints that there's been no news since March, CIG is blessing us with the announcement of a roadmap of a preview of a mockup of a work in progress partial roadmap:

If you're an early backer you were scammed. If you're a late backer you're an idiot.
Where's the proof? That its a scam

Yams

Still no proof. Come in empty-handed expecting to know shit.
I haven’t claimed to know anything.

From the outside looking in, it just feels like they were overly ambitious and are now in way over their heads. I don’t think Star Citizen is a scam but I can see why a lot of the backers might feel that way.

magaman

Banned
Every time a SC thread pops up, I always check it out in hopes there has been substantial traction and the community is happy about it.

Nine times out of 10, it's the opposite and it's just an update that an update is coming, or an update about a delay, or an update that there are no updates.

It's a shame, mainly because the game is so cool conceptually. As of now, it remains a tech demo and there are no signs that will change within the next 2+ years. This half-assed attempt at an update is proof positive of that.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The trailer still looks awesome. Maybe by the time it comes out I’ll have a 3000 (4000?) series card that will run it at a decent frame rate

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Sometimes incompetence and a scam look like the same thing.

Continuing to offer juicy new options to reel in whales when they’re so many years past due for a completed product and with $250+ million already in the bank is what makes it look like a scam. They’re not incompetent at generating revenue from backers, that’s for sure. It’s telling of their priorities.

As a Wing Commander super fan, I was beyond hyped when Star Citizen was announced. I hadn't owned a gaming pc in a good bit, and I thought to myself "I'll buy a killer rig when this is released."
I eventually got tired of waiting and bought one when the 1080's were shiny new, thinking to myself, "surely this will future proof me enough for SC's release."

Well shit.

I really believed at least Squadron 42 would've seen release by now, it is mind blowing to me that they wouldn't at least prioritize that to get something out the door.

Kerotan

Over on era some posters were crying they got banned from sub reddits for this game because they didn't share the same hive mind of the SC stans. Can they not see the irony?

Anyway this is the biggest gaming scam of all time. 2 years from now we'll be in the same situation.

iconmaster

Banned
Continuing to offer juicy new options to reel in whales when they’re so many years past due for a completed product and with $250+ million already in the bank is what makes it look like a scam. They’re not incompetent at generating revenue from backers, that’s for sure. It’s telling of their priorities.

Finishing games is really hard. Teasing a game is pretty easy, and it's turned out to be incredibly lucrative for Cloud Imperium. Releasing a finished product at this point would be fiscally irresponsible. If I were a shareholder, I'd sue them for attempting it.

Hudo

That's why producers are actually a thing: To make sure that a game actually ships at some point and feature creep doesn't happen...

Thaedolus

Great point considering how similar in scope those two projects are. I also finished several puzzles.

It was really just a funny thought to compare two games that at one point seemed like they’d never come out and how one went through an entire development cycle in half the time the other one’s been in development, but if you want to hang your hat on how it’s not a perfect analogy, that’s fine. I can just give you my hot take that Star Citizen is vapor ware that seems like a perfect money laundering scheme. Also, in 30 years when I retire maybe I’ll be able to enjoy it

Top Bottom