• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen and its current progress

lefty1117

Gold Member
It cracks me up that they tout the release of exploration ships, but there's nothing to explore. NO exploration gameplay. I say this as a backer

Ribi

It cracks me up that they tout the release of exploration ships, but there's nothing to explore. NO exploration gameplay. I say this as a backer
To my understanding that's it until container streaming comes out. Once they are done with crusader they are going to do a pass on all the planets and add content to them. At least that's what they said.

Shifty

To my understanding that's it until container streaming comes out. Once they are done with crusader they are going to do a pass on all the planets and add content to them. At least that's what they said.
Is there any ETA on that? I remember reading a few articles and wiki pages on the technical ins-and-outs of containers last year or so when I got into Elite: Dangerous. It sounds pretty crazy from a netcode standpoint, but I thought it'd have arrived by now.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

It looks good, but I do agree that the controls are overly complicated and the system requirements are far too high.

Darak

I've been very dismissive of this project for years, until I did a 180 turn recently and even backed it (with an entry level package). The current version runs very well in my computer, which is decent but not top of the line (it doesn't help that their resolution selector is broken and insists on running in full desktop resolution, which is 4K in my case) and looks pretty great. They have some truly next-gen things going on there and the combination of massive scale with extreme detail is really unique.

The project is showing progress, and has plenty of content already, so I have confidence it will actually be finished in a few years. The current version shouldn't even be considered an alpha, though, as it is missing some pretty important core features (perhaps 'missing' is too harsh, but they are not in a playable state yet). It also has some serious open questions (the user count per server is very limited so far, for example). It's still a pretty cool looking sandbox and I enjoy exploring the planets just for the sake of it and the occasional screenshot.

It's not a scam, but considering the delays, it's obviously not a Kickstarter success story. Still, I'd prefer them to get the game released eventually, years late, to have something released on time which is nothing like it was promised. I wouldn't call even those cases scams either, as you know what you are doing when you back a crowdfunded project; true scams are those where the developer just runs away with the money, and unfortunately there are quite a few of those. This is not the case. That being said, I'd be really burned out if I backed this one back in the day, especially considering the early years of radio silence and pitiful progress. Fortunately, the project seems to have been going forward pretty steadily as of late.

It remains to be seen if the game becomes a pay to win nightmare, but those ships selling for hundreds or even thousands of dollars don't look very good. They insist all ships in game will be available for in-game currency, but I don't want to imagine the grind they will require in order to get one of the most expensive ones. It seems like you can also lose your ship permanently in game, even your premium one, which terrifies me (you must purchase an insurance package; that being said, other games do this and depending on the insurance cost it may be a non-issue).

To be honest, the single player spinoff (Squadron 42) looks more promising to me as a lot of the issues I have with the game are related to network persistence and its MMO nature. I paid no attention to it because I thought it would be an on rails shooter, but it looks like it will have many of the same exploration/simulation components, but locally in your computer instead of being server-based.

MGHA

I play it on and off. I always have a lot of fun. The only thing I am annoyed by is that they keep releasing ships that no ones really asking for, instead of releasing the ships people actually bought during backing. However I still appreciate the games ambition and direction. The game may still be in alpha but I've already gotten my moneys worth in m,y opinion.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

masterkajo

I can only recommend to try the fly. The game has come a loooong way. You should still expect some crashes and bugs but it is in a pretty playable state and dare I say gorgeous!

If you have any questions, just dm me or ask in this thread. I am happy to help any new players get startet.

See you in the 'verse!

3EwaM2b.jpg

QVh8FOr.png

sH9vjfE.png

icRgaZf.png

uByxgWL.png

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
Its, not it's.

C'mon nerds, get your spelling together.

amazing input, so glad you commented in this thread.

--
regarding the Star Citizen, is the game even a game yet? It just feels like they haven't even finished a basic version of a game and just keep adding more stuff that will be unfinished. Lame, really.

I recently got an email to upgrade my game package so I could get a better ship. I got the $35 one and they wanted me to shell out another $40. They begging for scraps at this point.

masterkajo

amazing input, so glad you commented in this thread.

--
regarding the Star Citizen, is the game even a game yet? It just feels like they haven't even finished a basic version of a game and just keep adding more stuff that will be unfinished. Lame, really.

There is no better time to test how much of a game there already is then now when it is free fly. You can just try and see for yourself. Alpha 3.7 is the most stable it has ever been and the most playable. It has a lot of different mission types and most of it works rather well. When people asked me if they should try it, I was always hesitant and told them to rather wait. But 3.7 is the first time, I can recommend to give the game a try. There is actually stuff to do now and you will get a couple of evenings worth of content (with bugs). If you rather want a "finished" game, I suggest to come back in to it in 2 to 3 years.

Last edited:

Starfield

Yeah the free fly event has started since
Monday

IIf you wanna try the game be sure to install it on an SSD. The game is not meant to be played on an HDD, literally.
You can have the best PC in the world but if star Citizen is installed on an HDD you WILL experience hiccups and heavy performance issues.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
3.7 has mission sharing so that gives you the opportunity to do missions together and this are also the first steps into exploration gameplay, something what we will see likely more at CItizenCon with the Carrack, the deep space exploration vessel.

I love sci-fi but this game will always be no no for me.

My best friend wants me to try it now with the free event. But honestly a game that has had so much money, offers packs for $1.000 and even read around $30.000 is madness. I’ve seen some gameplay with my buddy too, not impressed. Good graphics but having a game in alpha for so long makes me question the development cycle.

And after getting scammed by the Landmark/Everquest devs, I’m not going to pay for a permanent alpha game.

I’ll give it a quick shot then back to Outer Worlds and other games.

Looking at some gameplay videos from is not really worth it. This game screams to try it yourself because it's not a linear game and everyone can do what they want, without doing missions and still earn money.

Even myself as a backer doesn't find most of the gameplay from others impressed because they are just doing weird stuff or it looks dull. The game is a totally different experience if you play it yourself.

Last edited:

Majima-Goro

Neo Member

My best friend wants me to try it now with the free event. But honestly a game that has had so much money, offers packs for $1.000 and even read around $30.000 is madness. I’ve seen some gameplay with my buddy too, not impressed. Good graphics but having a game in alpha for so long makes me question the development cycle.

And after getting scammed by the Landmark/Everquest devs, I’m not going to pay for a permanent alpha game.

Last edited:

Starfield

That's what the free fly event is supposed to be for

Waiting for that article " star citizen chris roberts assassinated by super fan ", he just wanted to escape reality so he can live in space, in front of a screen.

masterkajo

What kind of rig will I inevitably need to play this shit in glorious VR?
I downloaded and deleted the same day a few weeks ago. Glad stuff is happening, but apparently as I don't have a 2080TI, it's unplayable.

It is true that the game requires a powerful PC to run. There is no denying that. Just look at the digital foundry video of star citizen.

But remember that this is still in Alpha and a lot of optimization is not done yet. Vulkan is not in yet, Servers are still handling everything even stuff noone sees (this is why you are fps limited even on the most powerful machines). But we will get there.

To be able to play Star Citizen with high settings and in VR, I would hold off on purchases today. Wait until the game is closer to release and then see what is actually needed. It doesn't make sense to buy today for this game alone as it is still a couple of years away from proper release. The Single Player Squadron 42 might be released 2020, at least Beta status should be reached at the end of 2020. So this should give you a better idea of what is needed by then.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Here's the bottom line with Star Citizen: it's unlikely to ever be finished, and they've taken so long that it won't even be impressive by the time they get close. Don't be surprised if some other space sim comes out of nowhere and is better in every way.

Chris Roberts has ALWAYS sucked at game design and gameplay, so the game is relying purely on impressing people technically. Taking forever to make your game makes that really fucking dangerous because these graphics aren't going to stand out at all even a year from now. Next generation console games will look more impressive than this.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I count 9 stores! 9!!! I would bet that those stores sell shit for real money. Almost guarantee it. I don't (and won't) play this 'game' so I don't know for sure. I would love to hear from players on if these stores are nothing but stores selling microtransactions (probably some macrotransactions as well).

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I downloaded and deleted the same day a few weeks ago. Glad stuff is happening, but apparently as I don't have a 2080TI, it's unplayable.

SC is CPU and storage solution bottle-necking and not GPU.

Here's the bottom line with Star Citizen: it's unlikely to ever be finished, and they've taken so long that it won't even be impressive by the time they get close. Don't be surprised if some other space sim comes out of nowhere and is better in every way.

Chris Roberts has ALWAYS sucked at game design and gameplay, so the game is relying purely on impressing people technically. Taking forever to make your game makes that really fucking dangerous because these graphics aren't going to stand out at all even a year from now. Next generation console games will look more impressive than this.

Haha..sure dude. I hope you understand that it is not only about graphics but also how interactive this game is with weapons, ships, vehicles etc. There is no other game at this scale with the same kind of graphics and i doubt any other studio will ever match this.

I'm not trying to defend and i understand that people are getting nervous about this game sometimes, but most people shitting on it don't even know anything about this game...not even 1%, but acting like they do.

Of course it is.

Star Citizen is an MLM, just listen to the way they talk about it.
Oh man, this hits so many notes with MLM scams : promises of future great things while you're being sold stuff that is going to be usable only in that future all the while ranting about haters on the internet.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
From watching the recent DF video it seems they are putting lots of effort in interactivity and crazy amount of detail but my question is how's the actual gameplay? like the shooting mechanics, enemy and boss designs or the entire gameplay loop.

Even if the does come out one day I can't imagine how much patch it needs to even work decently, other MMOs that don't have any where near same scale as this game still get released in buggy and often broken state until they release huge amount patches.

Another concern is what kind of number are they expecting this game to sell? It seems this game need very powerful PC to even run this decently.

This just got impression I got watching the DF video and I could be completely wrong here.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
The fucking crap I've just had to go through to get this running at 1440p, exclusive fullscreen on my 4K monitor!

....Grrrr!

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The project is showing progress, and has plenty of content already, so I have confidence it will actually be finished in a few years.

Do you realize how this sounds? Do you realize development began in 2011? Do you realize it's received $200 million dollars from backers as well as an addition $46 million from private funding? How can you say that and be content with what is going on?

masterkajo

Do you realize how this sounds? Do you realize development began in 2011? Do you realize it's received $200 million dollars from backers as well as an addition $46 million from private funding? How can you say that and be content with what is going on?
The concept for the game started in 2011. They were like 5 people. Now, they are 4 studios worldwide with over 600 people. It took a couple of years to build the studio up. Content is coming and is getting better. Do not forget that this game tries to do something that has not been done yet. Everything is exceptionally detailed and they do not cheat in any way or form. What you see another player doing, is exactly what he is actually doing. Example: in Overwatch. If you melee with Zarya in 1stperson, the animation is different to the melee in 3rd person.

DW74

When Chris has a product that’s actually on the shelf, he’ll get my dime. Maybe.

Not before. Right now the whole project reeks of development hell. A game can be in development for too long. Look at what happened to Final Fantasy 15.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

RAIDEN1

They could have released a Wing Commander re-boot in all this time, hell even those games didn't take as long to come out as this has....

Tomeru

Is there a comprehensive list of things that I can do in the current version? Im looking for more than headlines. I want to know exactly what I can expect to be doing. I tried the last free event, and I was lost.

Inviusx

Really surprised that another studio hasn't jumped in to eat SC's lunch at this point.

I feel like you could pump out a similar game in 4 years and skip all the incredibly unnecessary tech creep that SC has hung its hat on.

Maybe this genre is just too niche for big publishers to give a shit about?

Top Bottom