• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen developer lays out four-stage roadmap to get to new roadmap.

Larxia

Star Citizen has had more roadmaps than a tourist booth.......This game feels like it has been in development for an eternity, with lots of enormous ambitions unfulfilled....
Honestly that's quite unfair and it seems like it just became a meme for people to say that.
Cyberpunk 2077 has been in devolpement for longer than Star Citizen, but you don't see people making fun of that.
Sure it will still take longer for Star Citizen to be done, but when you see the scope of the game, I think that's totally normal.

Gojko_of_Rivia

Neo Member
It is been a while since we heard from Chris Roberts; I wonder what is going with him

cUWDs5n.jpg

Last edited:

-Minsc-

I paid something like $25 for StarMade and got some fun out of it. Would be cool if that game finished.

Probably a good test case for some interesting societal studies. Essentially these people paid $300 million just so that they can be a part of a group and feel like they belong somewhere. Its like their church, except even the Pope would be envious of that haul.
As far as I know it has been in development for 8 years.
It hit 65 million dollars back in 2014 which was their last goal, then they broke the 300 million dollars record recently.

$300,000,000 / 8 years = 37,500,000 per year / A pulled out of my ass $50,000 per person = 750 people working on the game. Math that means probably nothing.

Star Citizen will NEVER be finished because by the time it eventually gets done, technology will have evolved so much that the base it's built-on will be archaic.

But I salute the effort and sandbox approach, it's just too expensive (or rather ships are too expensive) for the little it offers.

I was going to say Duke Nukem Forever released but I suppose the comparison isn't the best since I assume SC is in one of those prolonged playable alphas. Perhaps it is a good comparison since DNF was released but never finished.

Javthusiast

Banned
One day it will fizzle out and the creator will run away with all that money.

Then a couple months will go by with the whales still somehow defending it, and then it will hit them, that they may have been Jebaited.

jigglet

Banned
If this game was everything it was promised to be and I was really into this genre, yeah I could see myself splashing big bucks in it. Like thousands. Maybe more. I mean I think gaming is still a relatively cheap hobby relative to what else is out there. But jesus I wouldn't spend a dime until they've actually released a product. Why would anyone invest this much in an unproven product?

Trimesh

Banned
If this game was everything it was promised to be and I was really into this genre, yeah I could see myself splashing big bucks in it. Like thousands. Maybe more. I mean I think gaming is still a relatively cheap hobby relative to what else is out there. But jesus I wouldn't spend a dime until they've actually released a product. Why would anyone invest this much in an unproven product?

I was one of the original Kickstarter backers, because I thought it sounded interesting - but honestly at this point my enthusiasm has cooled to about the temperature of deep space.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Star Citizen has had more roadmaps than a tourist booth.......This game feels like it has been in development for an eternity, with lots of enormous ambitions unfulfilled....

And tons and tons of money backing it, it's amazing the financial support it has gotten.

ripeavocado

Banned
This game is a joke, everyone that has invested more than the cost of the game or that has done it past the first year should be ashamed of himself.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
A proper game publisher should buy the development team and oversee the game's development in order to assure that it's released by a reasonable date. The entire universe doesn't have to be playable upon release, just two planets or so with lots of missions and a story.

Gamernyc78

Banned
A proper game publisher should buy the development team and oversee the game's development in order to assure that it's released by a reasonable date. The entire universe doesn't have to be playable upon release, just two planets or so with lots of missions and a story.

Yeah idk if thy are but Gaas model would sustain this pretty well and keep expanding the universe after release with milestones.

Dontero

Banned
$300,000,000 / 8 years = 37,500,000 per year / A pulled out of my ass $50,000 per person = 750 people working on the game. Math that means probably nothing.

It is more than $300mln. 300 is only from crowdfunding. Initial CIG site campaign and later on Kickstarter (whic hwas only secondary to CIG site) was bid for showing some investement companies that there is interest in making top tier PC game. He had lined up 25mln and had to take 2mln from crowdfunding to make SQ42 and 6mln for both SQ42 and SC.

Later on they also got additional investement of about 60mln by some other investing companies/company. And those are only we know of.

So the real number is closer to 400 if not more.

Yeah idk if thy are but Gaas model would sustain this pretty well and keep expanding the universe after release with milestones.

SC is a mmo so it will be probably subscription based. SQ42 is stand alone game that will be sold separately for 60$ but with tie in to SC as in you finish story receive your pay from military and some assets and off you go to SC universe.

Since 3.9 almost all ships are available to buy in game for in game money. Some are huge grind but nothing crazy as those bigger ships are meant to be played in groups. In 3.9 they also added player money transfer so group of people can pitch in for ship.

Also you can steal any ship you want. There are plenty of video where dudes would raid some whale ship and steal it.

I totally expect them selling ships for real money to stay.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Does anyone think that the development team behind this game should be investigated by the federal government for misappropriation of funds? I wonder what types of houses these developers are living in and what types of cars they're driving.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Does anyone think that the development team behind this game should be investigated by the federal government for misappropriation of funds? I wonder what types of houses these developers are living in and what types of cars they're driving.
Always thought an investigation should happen. Who is keeping tabs of how the finances are being spent besides themselves? It's not like it's a corporation with investors where we get financial statements or reports.

Dontero

Banned
Road map to the road map

they trollin now

Not really. Their roadmaps are not "what we wish for" but tech based road maps comparable to git hub/trelo raodmaps which is synchronized with their codebase and it is developers and codebase that decides what is delayed/acomplished.

Back in march so at start of Covid19 they decided to scrap their existing roadmap for SQ42 because it was highly inaccurate according to them as it didn't show any progress and they felt that there was significant amount of progress done. Now is August so about 3 months after than and their web team is still not finished will rolling out new roadmap due to Covid and other delays.

Their previous roadmap showed SQ42 being basically not worked at all or barely any work being done. And yet CIG said officially that they plan private beta at the end of 2020 and they are yet to send any message that it will be delayed. I fully expect to slip it to early 2021 due to covid problems.

Roberts was hollywood filmaker and gameing industry veteran with some big names under him. He was wealthy already when he launched crowdfunding for SC.

his history before SC:

Black Water Transit (executive producer)

2008 Outlander (producer)

2007 Who's Your Caddy? (executive producer)

2006 Lucky Number Slevin (producer)

2006 Ask the Dust (executive producer)

2005 Lord of War (producer)

2005 The Big White (producer)

2005 The Jacket (executive producer)

2004 The Punisher (executive producer - as Christopher Roberts)

2001 Conquest: Frontier Wars (Video Game) (producer)

1994 Wing Commander: Armada (Video Game) (producer)

1994 Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger (Video Game) (executive producer)

1993 Privateer (Video Game) (executive producer)

1991 Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi (Video Game) (producer)

1990 Wing Commander (Video Game) (producer)

Last edited:

RespawnX

Road map to the road map

they trollin now

You are wrong, they announced the roadmap to the roadmap. We are waiting for the roadmap to the roadmap.

Ironically communication of Star Citizen was open minded for several years. In my opinion by far the best development logs and insights, dispite a lot of haters. But NOW the rage is really justified, they hardly give out any information, make false statements and keep silence. They could just put their cards on the table and say "sorry, we fucked up the deadline again" and make management changes. It's clear that a brain like Chris Roberts can't be in charge. Such people have to give input to make a game stand out, but somebody has to keep an eye on the finances and track the progress properly. It can't be the solution to sell more and more ships. Even though the quarterly financial results prove them right ...

reptilex

Banned
I was going to say Duke Nukem Forever released but I suppose the comparison isn't the best since I assume SC is in one of those prolonged playable alphas. Perhaps it is a good comparison since DNF was released but never finished.

It is exactly that. The original DNF would have been amazing had it been released. Now granted they throwed away lots of it and redid parts, by the time it was released it just had become an archaic crap.

And this is probably what is going to happen to SC, even though you can play the "prolonged alpha", but the time the full game comes, if ever, it'll just be a crooked, archaic "meh" games because they don't have a strong and solid conception design plan for the complexity they're aiming at.

magaman

Banned
Bump for a good laugh. They just posted a 'roadmap update.' They removed another feature coming in the next 6 months, and instead added a shotgun to make up for it.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

And that's your opinion. ED has "very positive" recent reviews on Steam, and "mostly positive" overall. You're in the minority.

SC is a running joke for everyone outside of the SC community. Again, you're in the minority.
Dude, I was one of the original backers. I've been playing this shit since day one. I don't care about reviews, the game is boring.

Like I said previously, SC is incomplete, but still a more fun and interesting game. I don't care if that is a "minority" opinion, especially when most of the majority have never played it.

magaman

Banned
Dude, I was one of the original backers. I've been playing this shit since day one. I don't care about reviews, the game is boring.

Like I said previously, SC is incomplete, but still a more fun and interesting game. I don't care if that is a "minority" opinion, especially when most of the majority have never played it.

lol

zeorhymer

Cyberpunk 2077 has been in devolpement for longer than Star Citizen, but you don't see people making fun of that.
Last I checked Cyberpunk didn't ask for money, multiple times, from people. Also, Cyberpunk was announced in 2012, the same year that SC was announced and they're releasing it in Novemberish.

magaman

Banned
Honestly that's quite unfair and it seems like it just became a meme for people to say that.
Sure it will still take longer for Star Citizen to be done, but when you see the scope of the game, I think that's totally normal.

Last I checked Cyberpunk didn't ask for money, multiple times, from people. Also, Cyberpunk was announced in 2012, the same year that SC was announced and they're releasing it in Novemberish.

And trust me, people would be shitting all over Cyberpunk if it wasn't a feature-rich title that had a full gameplay loop.

SC is a tech demo with pretty (if not pointless) backdrops. If the game featured even half of its promises, it would certainly be made fun of a hell of a lot less.

Trimesh

Banned
Curious. How many of you here have actually PLAYED Star Citizen?

I've played it a bit - the last time was just after they added the train. When I found that the ancient bug where you could just be walking along and fall through the geometry STILL wasn't fixed (and yes, I have a SSD and a fast machine) I deleted it and haven't bothered to look at it since. Maybe I will take another look at it when (or if) it's ever actually declared complete - but I find the way the development process seems to keep on piling on more and more stuff without bothering to fix egregious long standing bugs like that giving me serious doubts that will ever happen.

I was initially very interested in this project, and was one of the original Kickstarter backers - but at this point I've basically written it off.

Top Bottom