• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen - first ever Jump Point portal revealed (which lets you travel to other Star Systems, coming next year and MORE

Starfield

Jump Point showcase:

Full CitizenCon 2949 Demo:

part 1
part 2

Demo includes: Anvil Carrack ship first ever gameplay, Planet Tech v4 (including seemless transitions from space to planet surface with no visible LOD popins or texture changes, weather effects, humidity and temperature effects, large scale shadows from mountains and other big structures which are visible from space, and more), New Microtech planet with New Babbagge Landing Zone, New stealth type ground mission, AI transportation, Blizzard Weather effect, cloth physics, jump point, new star system PYRO

2020 could be the most important year for Star Citizen ever. SO MANY important features on both the technical side and gameplay side are going to be implemented next year.

Whats also coming for early next year:

• Theaters of War: A Battlefield like gameplay mode inside Star Citizen
  • Prisons
  • Quantum Simulation: A tool for developers to control AI, Economics and what not in REAL TIME for the entire PU
  • Jump Points to other Star Systems
  • SSOCS with a possibility of Server Meshing end of 2020/early 2021

Coming out in Patch 3.8 (December)

• SSOCS v1 with first signs of platform persistence
  • Planet Tech v4
  • 2 new ships (anvil pisces and the Mole, a 3 man mining ship)
  • annunciator panels
  • first implementation of space station random interiors
  • and more

nikolino840

I add...i have no hate against this game...Is massive and awsome,i buy this game day One when comes out,i don't like only this way to earn funds during all this years without any clues about the finish line

Starfield

I add...i have no hate against this game...Is massive and awsome,i buy this game day One when comes out,i don't like only this way to earn funds during all this years without any clues about the finish line
Don't worry I get and understand your sceptism...the hate towards this game was much much MUCH bigger between 2014-2017 but now we're slowly getting there and you can start to see a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel. Everything is slowly falling together and development should increase exponentially.

All the different dev teams of Star Citizen now get 6 months time in order to implement their tech or feature so they have more time to flesh it out. There's still quaterly patches though.

stranno

The wormhole effect is pretty bad and unnecessary long. I guess the assets streaming in the final game will be painful even on SSD drive.

Starfield

is their an actual game to play at the moment or is it still an experience type affair like they early free stuff
just look up on youtube for Star Citizen 3.7.1 to see what you can currently do in the verse. Basically, mining, transportation, shooting pirates, trading, basic exploring, and more.

Nickolaidas

Make fun of the game all you want but all those nay-sayers and people who were shouting "SCAM" are slowly but surely beginning to eat their crows.

$1,289.79: Total price of Dead or Alive 5 with all its DLC skins and costumes. I'd call that a massive scam. But to each his own.

gifgaf

I spent $45 and bought into this game back in 2013, so after reading this post I decided to check it out again. I remember having access to the game they had back then and some multiplayer but from what I can see I have to put another $54 in now to play, what has happened? Do they not honour the original backers anymore? I thought I bought access to the base game back then.

Last edited:

MadAnon

20xx could be the most important year for Star Citizen ever. SO MANY important features on both the technical side and gameplay side are going to be implemented next year

Fixed that for you. Been hearing this same thing repeated every year. This will be the most important year, content flood gates will open any moment. This time for real. But in reality, they will fail to deliver most of it as always.

Last edited:

DS_Joost

Make fun of the game all you want but all those nay-sayers and people who were shouting "SCAM" are slowly but surely beginning to eat their crows.

Nah it still feels like a scam. There still isn't a game. All tech stuff. Cool and all, but unless there is a game and not an alpha demo I am going to remain sceptical.

Kenpachii

Stargate made it into the game it seems:

tumblr_oqmc256Tms1rjkjhfo2_500.gifv

tenor.gif

Ovek

7Member7
Turning jumping to to a stupid mini game to mask long ass loading times... sorry "streaming" times? Thanks but no thanks...

buizel

Banned
$1,289.79: Total price of Dead or Alive 5 with all its DLC skins and costumes. I'd call that a massive scam. But to each his own.

Elder Scrolls Online : crafting one item with certain traits could cost £1,000's (an 18 day timer on some traits, theres like 10 traits for each equippable, theres about 50 equippables, a 1 day reducer costs like $5, so times that by 18 (for ONE trait on ONE item) and then 10 (for all the traits) and then 50 (for each type of item) depending if you have it unlocked, plus crafting mats and styles), and thats for like ONE Staff or Sword, out of hundreds upon hundreds possible - let alone the fact theres thousands upon thousands of things to buy with real cash, some costing over £100 for a single item. Hundreds of thousands worth of DLC, there is a currency in the game only obtained by buying Loot Crates and selling the useless junk from them. And many items can only be bought that way. So thats easily hundreds of dollars for a single pig Pet or a phantom Horse mount.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Elder Scrolls Online : crafting one item with certain traits could cost £1,000's (an 18 day timer on some traits, theres like 10 traits for each equippable, theres about 50 equippables, a 1 day reducer costs like $5, so times that by 18 (for ONE trait on ONE item) and then 10 (for all the traits) and then 50 (for each type of item) depending if you have it unlocked, plus crafting mats and styles), and thats for like ONE Staff or Sword, out of hundreds upon hundreds possible - let alone the fact theres thousands upon thousands of things to buy with real cash, some costing over £100 for a single item. Hundreds of thousands worth of DLC, there is a currency in the game only obtained by buying Loot Crates and selling the useless junk from them. And many items can only be bought that way. So thats easily hundreds of dollars for a single pig Pet or a phantom Horse mount.
… that's just fucked up.

When you think about all that money, and all that time, and where they are now all these years later... Yeah it looks like a scam lmao. And if it somehow isn't a scam, it's still pathetic that they spent 300mil and 8 years to create... This messy, unfinished series of tech demos. And still this talk of "20xx will be the year blablabla". It's becoming cult-like!

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
2949 Is the release date?

I'm playing it on my PC right now. And so can you, since the game is free to try until December 5, including all the flyable ships.

If half of the snarky goons that throw shade at this game bothered to give it a try, the total snark ratio on the internet would drop by at least 5%.

is their an actual game to play at the moment or is it still an experience type affair like they early free stuff

Plenty. And there has been for at least a year.

Nah it still feels like a scam. There still isn't a game.

Only, there is. People can try to perpetuate this blatant lie all they want, but its nature is gradually coming to the surface.

Also, like all those abusing the word "scam," it doesn't mean what you think it means. Even on the edge case Star Citizen closed today, it would not be a scam. The money paid by the backers is being used into actual, demonstrable development, and as any crowd funding project, backers are aware of the risk. Investments freely made on endeavors that don't pan out (and this doesn't mean it won't, actually it seems more and more like it will) aren't scams.

Last edited:

Starfield

When you think about all that money, and all that time, and where they are now all these years later... Yeah it looks like a scam lmao. And if it somehow isn't a scam, it's still pathetic that they spent 300mil and 8 years to create... This messy, unfinished series of tech demos. And still this talk of "20xx will be the year blablabla". It's becoming cult-like!
Fuck off if you don't want to contribute to this thread then.

They had to set up various new STUDIOS for this game from the ground. There weren't many people at CIG when Star Citizen started their fund. They have over 200 employees now if not more. We are looking at a studio that is creating an ambitious game from the get go. From day 0 to day 1 where every single step gets communicated to the backers and the community.

This isn't a regular dev cycle like for Rockstar with Red Dead Redemption 2 for example where they have a giant studio already with lots of older assets to fall back on or do some outsourcing to other firms, NO. They've done all that by themselves and in order to do that they need money, like every normal studio does but unlike Rockstar, who have a big publisher and money giver TakeTwo behind them aswell as a buckload of money from their previous games like GTA V (that is still profitable thanks to devious mtxs) they soley rely on the community and other types of sponsorships to fund their game.

Even then a company like Rockstar takes YEARS to bring out a new game.
So again, fuck off if you have NO..no clue what you are saying.

You're not getting to watch a few trailers and then months later a released product. You get to see, experience and live through the whole development cycle with no bullshit attached. This isn't a DayZ or Worlds Adrift like situation where one gets cancelled completely and their customers shafted and the other just releases feature/content incomplete as version 1.0

no,

this game as of yet has delivered on mostly everything they were promising. No matter how stupid or ridcilious it sounded at the beginning.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Back from Manchester. and it was a amazing show and great to see some of the backers again that i know. The venue was amazing, like a market we also see ingame.

Hope the panels are on youtube later so i watch the onces back i missed (or watch just everything back).

Now gonna check my Anvil Pisces ingame!

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The complete version 1.0 release?

The fact that it's an alpha doesn't matter when it already has more content (and more fun) than many released AAA games.

Don't give them ideas

Why not? if someone who has money wants to use it to sponsor a game's development and get his name on a space object in return, what's it to you?

Last edited:

Starfield

Why not? if someone who has money wants to use it to sponsor a game's development and get his name on a space object in return, what's it to you?
[/QUOTE]
OUTRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

But if you buy a special limited edition of a game for 999$ then you're cool

buizel

Banned
… that's just fucked up.

Yeah but i havent paid a penny on the DLC, they dont prohibit trading Gold for premium currency so I've obtained some DLC that way (takes time lol). It's a decent game but yeah, they monetize everything they can. Im sure other games have similar things but idk. Alot of the players have the premium mounts and costume and pets, a large majority, and I wonder how much they spend on like a average or something.

Heres a list of mounts: https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/mounts

Only 3 are available to buy with in-game gold, 3 types of horse. Everything else needs Crowns (premium currency), either buy crowns or buy subscription for crowns. Most Mounts cost about 2 months worth of a $10 sub each.

Costumes - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Costumes - Again only like 5-10 available without paying. Anyway who cares back to star citizen

Last edited:

Starfield

Yeah but i havent paid a penny on the DLC, they dont prohibit trading Gold for premium currency so I've obtained some DLC that way (takes time lol). It's a decent game but yeah, they monetize everything they can. Im sure other games have similar things but idk. Alot of the players have the premium mounts and costume and pets, a large majority, and I wonder how much they spend on like a average or something.

Heres a list of mounts: https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/mounts

Only 3 are available to buy with in-game gold, 3 types of horse. Everything else needs Crowns (premium currency), either buy crowns or buy subscription for crowns. Most Mounts cost about 2 months worth of a $10 sub each.

Costumes - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Costumes - Again only like 5-10 available without paying. Anyway who cares back to star citizen
I think I've spent over 200€ on ESO on the crown store. Hey people can do with their money whatever the hell they want. Some are shooting it up their arms getting high, some are using it to get drunk and trashed every weekened and then some are using it to buy cool stuff in games.

Its okay to not like this, i dont like it either but it is what it is and fi youre willing to spend it why the hell not

cormack12

Gold Member
I just watched the 3.7 youtube video and this game looks quite far along? Usually people seem to imply its in like pre-alpha and only certain modules function but it looked like its more of a beta I guess? Was surprised.

Although the negative money, pay 2 win, cost of ships is still the loudest thing I hear about this.

Nickolaidas

I think I've spent over 200€ on ESO on the crown store. Hey people can do with their money whatever the hell they want. Some are shooting it up their arms getting high, some are using it to get drunk and trashed every weekened and then some are using it to buy cool stuff in games.

Its okay to not like this, i dont like it either but it is what it is and fi youre willing to spend it why the hell not
No objections here. Heck, I can take a bottle of water and sell it for 400$. If someone buys it, cool! Doesn't mean I didn't do a scam by seriously overpricing the product, though. It's the same thing with DoA - you have the option to buy the DLC, no one's forcing it on you. Doesn't change the fact that the dlc costumes are ridiculously overpriced to the point it's flat out ridiculous.

Same thing with Star Citizen. Chris Roberts could might as well keep developing the game for 20 years, amassing a billion dollars with no finished product on sight. And keep in mind that not everyone is ok playing a beta or unfinished version. Some people want nothing less than the final package.

I mean, I look at DREAMS, which is basically a game engine on its own right and I'm amazed the developers are actually releasing the damn thing. And it took them what? 4-5 years?

Does Star Citizen even have a release date? Genuinely wondering.

Pimpbaa

Wait, they are only getting around to adding the ability to jump to other star systems now (well, next year)?!

Starfield

No objections here. Heck, I can take a bottle of water and sell it for 400$. If someone buys it, cool! Doesn't mean I didn't do a scam by seriously overpricing the product, though. It's the same thing with DoA - you have the option to buy the DLC, no one's forcing it on you. Doesn't change the fact that the dlc costumes are ridiculously overpriced to the point it's flat out ridiculous.

Same thing with Star Citizen. Chris Roberts could might as well keep developing the game for 20 years, amassing a billion dollars with no finished product on sight. And keep in mind that not everyone is ok playing a beta or unfinished version. Some people want nothing less than the final package.

I mean, I look at DREAMS, which is basically a game engine on its own right and I'm amazed the developers are actually releasing the damn thing. And it took them what? 4-5 years?

Does Star Citizen even have a release date? Genuinely wondering.
It doesn't have a set date yet because the tech behind it is still in development. They had release dates before but couldn't hold them so rather than making the community more and more angry they decided to just give us no release dates and rather give estimates when something is ready to be implemented.

Sentenza

I just watched the 3.7 youtube video and this game looks quite far along? Usually people seem to imply its in like pre-alpha and only certain modules function but it looked like its more of a beta I guess? Was surprised.

Although the negative money, pay 2 win, cost of ships is still the loudest thing I hear about this.
It's bizarre because right now that the game is finally starting to come along the smugness of the critics is increasing in intensity and fierceness instead of giving it a break.

Also, there's absolutely no form of "pay to win" in the game at all. The advantage of getting better ships seems to be vastly overstated. And if anything, at least in the current form and unless some drastic change happens, this is shaping up to be basically the only "MMO" in existence where you can jump in with a freshly created account and contribute exactly to every single activity open to a veteran.
The cost of ships is a different topic altogether. People are in fact paying a lot of money to get extra ships, which I find questionable at best, but if anything they seem the ones perfectly willing to throw away unhealthy sums to get very little in return.
What's even more strange, many of them genuinely get angry when a certain timeframe go without a new ship released for them to buy.

Me? I just jumped in in October with a basic entry level pack and I never found myself needing for much more than that. (but of course, I have set as a goal to buy some better ship IN-GAME over time).

Last edited:

Rat Rage

I don't know... This is supposed to be what interalactic travel looks like. It looks kind of lame. I prefer the visual style of Stargate or Star Wars "jumps".

nikolino840

I'm playing it on my PC right now. And so can you, since the game is free to try until December 5, including all the flyable ships.

If half of the snarky goons that throw shade at this game bothered to give it a try, the total snark ratio on the internet would drop by at least 5%.

Plenty. And there has been for at least a year.

Only, there is. People can try to perpetuate this blatant lie all they want, but its nature is gradually coming to the surface.

Also, like all those abusing the word "scam," it doesn't mean what you think it means. Even on the edge case Star Citizen closed today, it would not be a scam. The money paid by the backers is being used into actual, demonstrable development, and as any crowd funding project, backers are aware of the risk. Investments freely made on endeavors that don't pan out (and this doesn't mean it won't, actually it seems more and more like it will) aren't scams.
Yes i know like every early access titles

Madonis

I don't have a lot of faith in the ultimate fate of this game, personally speaking, but I do hope that backers will get a complete experience one day.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I'm not sure what to think yet of the wormholes implementation. Overall I think I would prefer just a regular jump animation and not have to actively manage it. And the sense of motion through the wormhole was all weird, sort of pulsing or something ... it was cool to finally see a new system but I'm kind of "meh" on the wormhole itself. Just give me an EVE/Elite jump animation with some pretty stuff to look at while you load the system, and give me a chance to alt-tab and check Neogaf...

Top Bottom