• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen has raised over $300 million now

Makariel

a322c03a94505b92e5e284e03ff0e3be.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
The star citizen subreddit is a whole kind of crazy. There you can find arguments such as 'do you go to doctors and complain that curing cancer is taking so long? this has never been done before'.

I swear all the true believers are just old boomers who played Wing Commander/Privateer back in the day and are just chasing the dragon. Back in the day parents would spend their kids’ inheritances on vacation homes and boats, now it is spaceship JPEGs.

Last edited:

mrpeabody

Why would they ever release the game?

If they did that, they would have to deal with delivering on their promised feature set, the opinions of outsiders, all kinds of problems. Whereas as long as they stay in beta, they can rake in millions of dollars PER MONTH, for what looks like forever.

Cloud Imperium has it made. They have a goddamn gold mine, and they are going to milk it.

Last edited:
Every time a thread or article about Star Citizen's funding comes up, it's not the money that makes me facepalm, but the comments.

Some people simply aren't able to understand that people will spend money on what makes them happy. For some it's a car, for some it's a pool, for some it's a cruise in the Caribbeans, for some it's fancy dining, for some it's big collector's editions of their favorite media, and for some, it's a starship in the video game they have wanted since they were kids. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of that.

And then there's the fact that money has a different value for different people. For me, buying a single heavy fighter in Star Citizen when heavily discounted (which costed less than the FFVII Remake's 1st class edition) is something that took several days of deliberation and giving up something else (which incidentally is exactly the aforementioned 1st class edition):

For others, spending over $1000 for a Carrack is a drop in the ocean of their income, and maybe they'll just skip a couple of fancy dinners to make it up. If that's what makes them happy, more power to them.
Aren't you always the one defending your purchase in these threads?

jaysius

Banned
Pro Tip to vaporware devs: Keep adding more features, so you're always in development.

Too lazy to make the meme:

THINKING MAN

Can't under deliver product

If you never deliver the product.

LarknThe4th

I'm just waiting for the house of cards to inevitably collapse and watch the fallout with some chips and soda.
I'd say by now the only way to keep everyone on the development team paid is to continue selling these shops to whales, and the sunk cost fallacy has enveloped the revs and the customers

Quite the grift, dont see any way this delivers a satisfying product at the end

If they where serious about ever finishing this they would have stopped selling ships and stop taking donations and dedicated themselves to a finish date

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
This can’t be real. Tell me it’s money laundering. I refuse to believe that someone actually paid that high amount for pixels.

SC did amazing thing business wise to get every ship unique which brings a lot of flight simulation guys. Those guys spend shitload for their next cockpits, steering rigs.

Those guys don't fuck around. Yes this is dude in rig that costs more than probably most luxury of cars because he wants to play simulator of 747

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't know how some of you people are able to regurgitate the same lame jokes in every single SC thread.. ANYWAY, for those of you who are genuinely interested, here's a new video from Cobra TV explaining a little about what you can do, talking a little bit of the dev process, and showing a bit of "Microtech" which is one of the planets in the universe. People appear to have a great deal of fun, and it's already "deep enough" to give an experience. I love the 64 bit universe and mechanics, it's a game changer for these types of games.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Aren't you always the one defending your purchase in these threads?

My purchase doesn't need defending. it's given me more fun than most AAA games by now.

Simply offering a balanced point of view that appears to be missing when some see a big number out of context. You're welcome.

Last edited:
My purchase doesn't need defending. it's given me more fun than most AAA games by now.

Simply offering a balanced point of view that appears to be missing when some see a big number out of context. You're welcome.
lol you coming into everyone of these threads arguing with anyone says a lot more about your salty feelings than your empty post about how "satisfied" you are.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
lol you coming into everyone of these threads arguing with anyone says a lot more about your salty feelings than your empty post about how "satisfied" you are.

Arguing with "everyone?"

It almost seems like you selectively read only the opinions that agree with you (if you can call those "opinions" really).

The echo chamber is on the other forum, you know?

You seem the only one that's salty that there are people happy about this game, and willing to say so, considering that you didn't address the topic at all but came into this thread solely to attack me. That's pretty sad, really. Guess some people simply don't have much to say. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

"My purchase doesn't need defending" says passive aggressive person who shows up to every Star Citizen thread to defend his purchase to himsefl and demoan the people mocking the hilarious spending on digital ships.

Right.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
"My purchase doesn't need defending" says passive aggressive person who shows up to every Star Citizen thread to defend his purchase to himsefl and demoan the people mocking the hilarious spending on digital ships.

Right.

"passive-aggressive" doesn't mean what you think it means. I know it sounds nice and all, but using it as a generic cathphrase for "I don't like this" is pretty silly, even more so considering that it perfectly fits your own post.

It's funny to see how certain people think that only those bashing (irrationally) Star Citizen should participate to this kind of discussion, while those talking positively about the project and offering a different (and objectively better informed) perspective must be "defending their purchase."

At least those who have made that purchase know what they're talking about. 🤷‍♂️

PS: This is active-aggressive, not passive-aggressive. You're welcome. 😂

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I don't know how some of you people are able to regurgitate the same lame jokes in every single SC thread.. ANYWAY, for those of you who are genuinely interested, here's a new video from Cobra TV explaining a little about what you can do, talking a little bit of the dev process, and showing a bit of "Microtech" which is one of the planets in the universe. People appear to have a great deal of fun, and it's already "deep enough" to give an experience. I love the 64 bit universe and mechanics, it's a game changer for these types of games.

People won't bother to look at this. They'll always say it's a scam or something. Just don't bother arguing with those people. I've invested a couple of thousands in this project, not because i like it a lot but i also want to support this project. I've met a lot of great people and devs in all those years (since 2016). For me, it's just satisfing to see the same people screaming again..over and over how bad this project is every time someone is dumping a thread. In a couple of days, those same people won't care anymore and you will only see them again in the next one.

Last edited:

Starfield

A small but rather IMPORTANT update for the game's development. Today they finally have shown what exactly the new roadmap will be and how it will work, coming soon™

This is how the new roadmap will (most likely) look like:

RMSS2020.png

In the not-so-distant future we will be able to see each and every individual team and what they are working on, how many and what kind of Disciplines (eg. Art Designer, Coder, Engeneer, etc..) are working on each feature. +Sprints (which are basically work tasks which take about 2 weeks)

You can read more about it here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...17727-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Roadmap-Update

This is VERY good. The community and backers have been demanding more openess and transparancy for YEARS and this looks like we'll get as much as possible. Let's see though.

oh and total funds raised is at 310+ mill. usd now

Starfield

This game will never come out. At least I hope it doesn't really. Why? It'll never be what they want it to be. Tech isn't going to wait around for them. Their graphics engine gets more and more outdated every year. I'm over SC tbh.
So you dont want this game to come out bc by the time it does the tech isnt going to be the newest anymore? what? lmao

Theres alot of tech in this game that currently only exists in THIS game and visually it still looks way better than most games out there.

sobaka770

Banned
They got 200$ M less than Halo Infinite? And it pushes graphical and gameplay boundaries? People have no right to complain about this game then!
/S

PS. I am not into this type of game and I appreciate the transparency but as a project this looks like the worst example of scope creep.

MHubert

I really hope they succeed. The scope of this game is beyond belief and if they accomplish this, the rest of the industry will have to catch up.

VFXVeteran

Banned
So you dont want this game to come out bc by the time it does the tech isnt going to be the newest anymore? what? lmao

Theres alot of tech in this game that currently only exists in THIS game and visually it still looks way better than most games out there.

Maybe I'll pick it up if I even remember it. That's the problem with games like this. They are over ambitious.

Starfield

Oh yeah and...I know like 99,99999% of neogaf are probably not following the development of this game closely, however I'm watching SC leaks's stream (where a bunch of leakers discuss internal development on a weekly basis) and they're saying Squadron 42 has an internal release date of Q2 2021 but it couild get delayed to Q3 2021

iHaunter

Does a good job of showing how much is in the game currently.

I don't get the memes. I've been playing it for a while. Buggy sure, but what they have is quite amazing. I think they need to slow development on SC though and focus on getting Squadron 42 out.

Kerotan

With how patient the fanbase is they could honestly keep drip feeding updates for another 10 years and get away with it. I'm sure they'll hit $500M no problem. Glad I'm not invested in this.

magaman

Banned

Hey, clueless guy, this game won't release for another 4 years. Maybe more. By that time, it'll be old hat. There are already SC clones that aim to do what SC is doing with teams 1/100th the size.

Top Bottom