• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKRT00

I don't even see SQ42 releasing in 2016 tbh

Why? Year is a lot of time. Most technology required for S42 is already done, performance capture is done, most assets pipelines are already done, staff count is at peak for them and their people are already trained.

Its much harder to start, especially when You are creating tech that werent available before, but when all the processes, technology and people are in places the efficiency grows a lot.

Ps. S42 was predicted for December 2015 and i think that was for time when there would be 3 episodes, not two like now.

I can't believe that SQ42's first episode was predicted to be done by Fall 2015... Isn't that around the time they finished shooting the performance capture?

I don't even see SQ42 releasing in 2016 tbh

I think that was the aim. But I have a sneak feeling that they had to go back and fix alot of broken things with FPS section, or the introduction to localized physics iteration broke the working version.

If the engine is being polished, the content is finished recording and is just being put into place or polished, not sure why 2016 would be a miss for the first episode. Seeing as how people are actually getting to play the mechanics in the 2.0 alpha, I don't understand where the skepticism would come from.

Burny

Seeing as how people are actually getting to play the mechanics in the 2.0 alpha, I don't understand where the skepticism would come from.

Statistics...

How many tentative release windows for various things have they missed and how many did they make? Estimating required effort and time is a bitch, that's by no means a problem only they are facing. But their track record of giving dependable release windows is poor. Even if everything should "just" have to be put into place now and it looks like smooth sailing from here on, scepticism is warranted. It's less likely to be disappointed that way.

Why? Year is a lot of time. Most technology required for S42 is already done, performance capture is done, most assets pipelines are already done, staff count is at peak for them and their people are already trained.

Its much harder to start, especially when You are creating tech that werent available before, but when all the processes, technology and people are in places the efficiency grows a lot.

Ps. S42 was predicted for December 2015 and i think that was for time when there would be 3 episodes, not two like now.

The only real footage we've seen of SQ42 this year is the Morrow Tour, and even that looked extremely early. We've yet to see clips of a single mission. You also have core features like fps animations, trading, mining, and even ship combat that aren't even finished.

Trust me, I'd love it if CIG was hiding all of this footage from us as a surprise for 2016, but I just don't see it happening

Unexpected patch:

Nice, when they said the Frankfurt office was working on the server-side performance I didn't expect it to be the next day. Now to see how those framerates are doing... edit: nope, not quite fixed yet for me. Still around 20-24 for full games.

Yup, snagging some more GIF material. (trying to keep them reasonably small)

Don't forget these:
PertinentElaborateHarpseal.gif

QueasyBestAnophelesmosquito.gif

brin1qnj7ulqlwaixktx.gif

KKRT00

The only real footage we've seen of SQ42 this year is the Morrow Tour, and even that looked extremely early. We've yet to see clips of a single mission. You also have core features like fps animations, trading, mining, and even ship combat that aren't even finished.

Trust me, I'd love it if CIG was hiding all of this footage from us as a surprise for 2016, but I just don't see it happening

S42 wont have trading and mining. Combat ship is being balanced, not that is not finished.
FPS animations are almost done and its not something that blocks design, tech or art departments.
Look at the progress they've made in last three months and now consider that they will have like 10 months more, but with much more experienced stuff and ready to go pipelines.

Ps. We have not seen everything they've done You know :)

S42 wont have trading and mining. Combat ship is being balanced, not that is not finished.
FPS animations are almost done and its not something that blocks design, tech or art departments.
Look at the progress they've made in last three months and now consider that they will have like 10 months more, but with much more experienced stuff and ready to go pipelines.

Ps. We have not seen everything they've done You know :)

That's some wishful thinking man. Has CIG confirmed that none of the occupational content from the PU will be in SQ42? I can't imagine that it's all combat, especially considering that one of the starting areas is a mining outpost.

tuxfool

Banned
That's some wishful thinking man. Has CIG confirmed that none of the occupational content from the PU will be in SQ42? I can't imagine that it's all combat, especially considering that one of the starting areas is a mining outpost.

It is a military story, through and through, with scripted events and constrained exploration.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

I really doubt the space navy is going to have one of its combat pilots — who's probably also an academy-trained officer — hop on a mining rig or load up a cargo hold with boxes to fly a few systems away in a bulk transport.

Geist-

Didn't a magazine article say that it would in the most basic sense be Far Cry in space? Flying around a sector of space capturing outposts, killing enemies, with the assumed large battle set-pieces and scripted events at certain points. It being a more linear experience makes it vastly easier to finish.

I really doubt the space navy is going to have one of its combat pilots — who's probably also an academy-trained officer — hop on a mining rig or load up a cargo hold with boxes to fly a few systems away in a bulk transport.

Wait.....wait..... maybe they are on to something.

The cargo could be dead vanduul, then you transport that to an orion, drill a hole into an asteroid then put the cargo in the hole. Then use a starfarer to push the asteroid into the path of a vanduul capital ship.

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

I can just see it now..........

In all honesty, if you saw the leaked content you would realize that yes.... there is a TON of stuff that we haven't seen yet that was created for both S42 and PU that they are not putting out there to get spoiled. The animation FPS and performance capture has been finished for quite some time and they are polishing it up. There is a difference between fixed scenarios and an open world setting. It is never a good idea to try to compare the state of the story side based off what you can do in the PU, especially since they have a different and dedicated team working on S42.

Didn't a magazine article say that it would in the most basic sense be Far Cry in space? Flying around a sector of space capturing outposts, killing enemies, with the assumed large battle set-pieces and scripted events at certain points. It being a more linear experience makes it vastly easier to finish.
Yeah Gamestar. Though, that is their interpretation of what CIG presented to them conceptually.
Wait.....wait..... maybe they are on to something.
The cargo could be dead vanduul, then you transport that to an orion, drill a hole into an asteroid then put the cargo in the hole. Then use a starfarer to push the asteroid into the path of a vanduul capitol ship.

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

I can just see it now..........
More nextgen than nextgen confirmed.

BTW, I get a slight feeling that the livestream on the 16th will also be showing off a new in-game ship given comments on AtV the other day.

As a side note, I am currently visiting family for the next three weeks so I cannot really play the PTU :( BUT! Live stream channel chat is a guarantee SC GAF

tuxfool

Banned
This is great and all, but I think we all aught to be aware that very few of us will be able to connect in the first few days.

Tic174

They've just updated the PTU with "m" hopefully if everything goes ok they will push it to live in a hour or so fingers crossed.

Dezeer

Having played on the PTU, I have to say it is fun to fly around and blast pirates, but there is something in the flight mechanics/UI that I dislike when compared to Elite:D and i can't really pinpoint what it is.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
so uh is there a way to copy and paste all the files I downloaded for the PTU over to the "live" side so it doesn't have to download as much? Mind you, I'm like 12 patches behind because they've been releasing two a day or whatever, but there's gotta be something salvageable in there.

Live patches on Friday hasn't really worked out for them in the past, I guess CR's got a team on standby to work the weekend for any kinks brought up

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Yeah, 'verse feels a bit forced. Good pun though.

When they actually have persistence: "The Great Mighty PU".

The vapourware one is good, but it's asking for trouble. Hmm.

Geist-

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | Shake the Gates of Heaven

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | It's Not a Cinematic

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | Vaporware Redefined

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom