• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Irobot82

Played a bit -- Definitely very pretty, however I am disappoint at the KB/M controls. I set the sensitivity for my mouse way down and there's still no way I can effectively stay on target. Gonna give my 360 controller a try.

Try hitting Control + F then try again.

After playing with a 360 controller I am having a much, MUCH better time handling my ship. DFM is extremely fun, and I cannot wait to get access to multiplayer. This game is going to be so great.. Can't wait to see it all come together now.

I have a video of some gameplay, played up until I ran into a bug using the airbreak where I continue to drift in the direction that I was originally going in before applying the break. Flying around a 300i on max settings.. Beautiful game. :)

http://youtu.be/CHfW71pIeBw

You accidentally decoupled (left stick click, you can see it on your UI too, on the right side listed with G-safe and COMSTAB). Decoupling is really fun/useful though when you get the hang of using it ;D

kase23

I'm definitely buying this game, but I'm still deciding which ship to get.

Can anybody tell me the differences between these two options? Why the price difference?
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/199-aegis-dynamics-avenger
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/332-avenger

First link is only for buying the ship alone, that is as an addition to the ships already in your hangar, doesn't include the game or modules.
what you want is the package on the second link.

I_D

First link is only for buying the ship alone, that is as an addition to the ships already in your hangar, doesn't include the game or modules.
what you want is the package on the second link.

Thanks. Buying now.

EDIT: This game looks like a movie.

sc13es91.png

sc25psr5.png

Mindlog

Keep in mind you will also need to buy the $5 early access package!
Good lord, CGI has put on a clinic on how to do crowdfunding.

Mylene

You want a battle? Wait a moment :p

Btw good idea to play it on the TV. I'm gonna test it right now.

yah it's pretty fun on a big tv, need to test 7.1 sound with cfg settings next see if it actually is in the game.

been having lot of fun with the aurora, seems much more durable than the hornet or 300i go figure. made it to wave 12 before game froze, will try to record a direct game vid tomorrow.

Mindlog

So torn on Freelancer DUR vs Freelancer MIS.
Will probably go with MIS and then melt that upgrade for DUR when the Connie variants finally hit.

Daedardus

The commercial's pretty meh. I mean, MISC is founded by Japanese colonists and is headquartered in Saisei, which is the epitome of Japanese city planning. MISC is the Toyota of Star Citizen. Yet they somehow thought it was a good idea to turn it into an American truckers commercial. They completely missed their chance to define MISC in the Star Citizen universe, in my opinion.

I kind of wish they had focused on the exploration capabilities of the Freelancer (which it's supposed to be really good for) and not cargo hauling.

The commercial's pretty meh. I mean, MISC is founded by Japanese colonists and is headquartered in Saisei, which is the epitome of Japanese city planning. MISC is the Toyota of Star Citizen. Yet they somehow thought it was a good idea to turn it into an American truckers commercial. They completely missed their chance to define MISC in the Star Citizen universe, in my opinion.

I mean tbh, most modern toyoto commercials for such vehicles as that (hauling) are eerily similar to Ford truck commercials. Also I think they were trying to channel a bit of Firefly in there.

BUt I understand your wanting to see a truly japanese like commercial. I liked it still!

lacinius

I upgraded my Freelancer base to the DUR variant. The DUR has the same upgraded shields as the MIS, but also upgrades the jump drive and upgrades the long range scanner and has extra capacity fuel tank... although you give up the extra missiles. But I'm not in this to drive a tank and prefer exploration instead.

Daedardus

I mean tbh, most modern toyoto commercials for such vehicles as that (hauling) are eerily similar to Ford truck commercials. Also I think they were trying to channel a bit of Firefly in there.

BUt I understand your wanting to see a truly japanese like commercial. I liked it still!

The commercial wasn't bad, it was nicely produced. It just didn't feel MISC. When I think Japanese car commercials I think funky music, lots of lighting effects and a focus on high tech options. That's why it somewhat caught me off guard.

Zabojnik

The commercial wasn't bad, it was nicely produced. It just didn't feel MISC. When I think Japanese car commercials I think funky music, lots of lighting effects and a focus on high tech options. That's why it somewhat caught me off guard.

And all they had to do was have the pirates speak in japanese. OREEE PIRATO DESSS! Or something.

Well, you also need to keep in mind the kinds of cars that the commercials are about and who they would be be marketing those cars towards. There are American commercials similar to the ones you've listed, but not for a "heavy duty" pickup truck. I think in this case, with the Freelancer being the kind of ship it is, they picked the right vibe. An upbeat, poppy commercial doesn't really make sense for what is essentially a space freighter.

Daedardus

I've always seen the Freelancer as a multi-purpose vehicle and not a pick-up truck. More Toyota Prius+ than a Toyota Tundra. The commercial style would be perfect for a Hull C or Starfarer though.

sholvaco

Neo Member

To be honest the Freelancer doesn't even feel Japanese in design. To me it looks like an old Soviet helicopter that had its rotors replaced by a couple of rocket boosters. They might as well rename the company from Musashi to Makarov or something. Given SU's contributions to aeronautics and space exploration, not having a Russian ship manufacturer in lore is a major oversight anyway.

I dunno, they mention on the website that the vessel's frequently used for long haul missions for large corporations.

I'd argue the Aurora would be more of a Prius, but obviously not made by MISC. The commercial for the Aurora is certainly more in the vein of commercials for those kinds of cars (or at least how they are in America).

Daedardus

The Aurora feels more American to me. Rugged, decent price for decent quality. RSI is supposed to be Ford, right? Being the first one to mass produce cars/spaceships for the general public. Ford markets Prius-like cars too, at least here in Europe.

The best commercial seen from an in-universe standpoint is still the 300i one. Origin Jumpworks is just a perfect copy of BMW. Their ships are pure sex, and the commercial plays a good role in augmenting that image.

Also, I believe Anvil Aerospace to be Lockheed Martin and Aegis Dynamics to be General Dynamics. No idea what the others are. I just think it'll be better for the game lore if they keep playing out the uniqueness of each manufacturer. Lest we'll be stuck with all samey looking ships.

Irobot82

Looked like a Toyota truck commercial to me. I loved it.

Effect

Well I made the leap and bought the game. Picked up the Aurora LN package.

Quick question. I see the following when in the ship in the hanger.

The control panels in the ship are missing. Everything else graphically appears fine in the hanger. Is it suppose to look like that or are they actually missing? Figured I'd check here before making a post, wasting time, on the official forums. No search brought anything up from what I can tell. I've run the game on Low, Medium, and High and the result was the same.

Edit:

Ahh. Silly me. I figured out what the issue was. Thought it was weird there were two ships in my hanger. One is the actual ship and the other is a trainer for the Arena Commander mode. The trainer is the one with no control panels. The real Aurora LN is the following.

Wish the ships were actually labeled on the hull. Even looking at the terminal they're listed in the order of LN, trainer, and then turret. However they are physically in the order of trainer, LN, then turret.

Effect

This thing runs a lot better then I expect it to. Took some images of the hanger. I honestly thought I'd have more issues with my system since I don't believes are at all optimized. Right now I'm running it on medium. Though I did disabled motion blur. When I took the screen shots in the console I think they FPS was moving between 36 and 47. Each screen shot would have a number in between that. Curious as to what Arena gives me. Though my resolution is 1440x900.

http://imgur.com/a/nqhfl#0

okiemok

so what is the general feel of the progress of SC since the Arena commander came out? Seems like the naysaying has died down...Are people enjoying this?

epmode

so what is the general feel of the progress of SC since the Arena commander came out? Seems like the naysaying has died down...Are people enjoying this?

It's a lot less polished than Elite. I'd be more interested if they released more unfinished content or patched faster but the fanbase has spoken I guess.

Top Bottom