• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Star Citizen - Squadron 42] CEO Chris Roberts adresses concerns on state of the game and roadmap changes

? huh? I own both console and a gaming PC. I literally backed Star Citizen.

smh. Jumping the gun and projecting waaaaaaaay too much.

The comments regarding console at the time where only about PS3 and 360 cause PS4 and XONE were not even announced yet. So the joke is simply that its taken so long for the game to release, that tidbit is irrelevant at this point. Has nothing to do with PC vs Console as I own both, simply talking about the remarks from the developer and the irony of how long its been in development and feature creep etc. Not even sure how you got to this whole "console warrior carrying a grudge" lol.
I'm projecting? Does that mean that I'm the console warrior? Or maybe I'm a PC warrior? But wait. I own the consoles. I even play games on them sometimes! Glad we got that sorted.

I truly hope that the next Last of Us game will be out within 2 video card generations.

magaman

Banned
Yet wasting time of backers.....

When a game fucking starts development in 2011 and they still don't have a release window, its time start worrying. I only bring up generations because when this game was announced, they made a big deal that it just couldn't work on consoles (at the time being PS3 and 360).

So I only bring up generations because of that statement as....well the argument that it couldn't work on current gen systems at that time has become pretty funny if you now consider just how many generations have now past waiting for it to release......

Go grab some fresh air. I think you're taking this a bit too seriously.

What they're trying to do has never been done before. You can cry about it if you want, but I'll wait and then when/if it's released, you can sit from the sidelines and play games that don't come remotely close to the level of immersion that this game should have. If it's released as promised, this will be a game that people will play for 20+ years.

Note: I said should. The promises of this game are lofty, which is why it is taking so long to develop. Nothing like this has ever been attempted - not by Rockstar, Square, CDPR, Ubisoft.

As for your dates? Dude, it's not like they started with 500 people in 2011. Quit being a hyperbolic twit and realize that they had to build a company before they could actually move into full development. And yep, they've missed deadlines time and time again. It's frustrating. I get it. But what have you lost by the game not releasing? It's actively in development and you can play it right now. What's your issue? If you have a problem with it, put the computer down and ignore it. I promise that nobody will care, and the silence will be welcomed.

EDMIX

Go grab some fresh air. I think you're taking this a bit too seriously.

What they're trying to do has never been done before. You can cry about it if you want, but I'll wait and then when/if it's released, you can sit from the sidelines and play games that don't come remotely close to the level of immersion that this game should have. If it's released as promised, this will be a game that people will play for 20+ years.

Note: I said should. The promises of this game are lofty, which is why it is taking so long to develop. Nothing like this has ever been attempted - not by Rockstar, Square, CDPR, Ubisoft.

As for your dates? Dude, it's not like they started with 500 people in 2011. Quit being a hyperbolic twit and realize that they had to build a company before they could actually move into full development. And yep, they've missed deadlines time and time again. It's frustrating. I get it. But what have you lost by the game not releasing? It's actively in development and you can play it right now. What's your issue? If you have a problem with it, put the computer down and ignore it. I promise that nobody will care, and the silence will be welcomed.

Magaman...go grab some fresh air. I think you're taking this a bit too seriously :pie_raybans: I believe its within reason that someone should question whats going on with this game and its lack of any release window.

magaman

Banned
Magaman...go grab some fresh air. I think you're taking this a bit too seriously :pie_raybans: I believe its within reason that someone should question whats going on with this game and its lack of any release window.

You come into the thread, spit acid, gaslight, and then try to flip the narrative that we, the ones who have patience and dont mind waiting, are the ones with the problem.

Clownworld.jpg

Senua

tenor.gif

magaman

Banned
Never said that once. You simply project too much. Simply that its within reason that someone should question whats going on with this game and its lack of any release window.....

Jesus dude. I won't bother quoting your earlier posts laden with F bombs. Go outside, and find another hobby if you don't want to wait on SC. We'll be just fine without you. Nobody will know you're gone.

EDMIX

Jesus dude. I won't bother quoting your earlier posts laden with F bombs. Go outside, and find another hobby if you don't want to wait on SC. We'll be just fine without you. Nobody will know you're gone.

Who said it won't be fine without me? smh. Its not that serious man. Not all who backed it are just saying nothing blindly, its crazy to think even questioning exactly why the development is going like this is would have this type of defensive response as "We'll be just fine without you. Nobody will know you're gone" or " Go outside, and find another hobby" or "the ones who have patience and dont mind waiting, are the ones with the problem" when never said the game would not be fine without me, never said no games should have long development, never said anyone was the problem.... Soooo this weird defensive stance at even the slightest question about this games development is quite odd. Its within reason to question at this point whats going on. Not every single last question is an attack bud. You literally tried to argue ANYTHING I questioned must have been some sort of attack on you or its backers, when I'M ONE OF ITS BACKERS! Its why you are trying to FORCE that I'm suggesting anyone is a "problem" with nothing in my post even remotely suggesting that.

Going to have to ignore you btw, you are just waaaaaay too upset that someone else has a different opinion on this title that actually backed it...

SQ42 is supposed to release its beta this quarter. Of course it will not.

This is just one of many many dealines that SQ42 missed since 2014.

They had a plan to release a video on the progress on SQ42 a few months ago, which is a bad sign in itself, but were not satisfied with it, and kept postponing it. The video for the progress on SQ42.

Then came the infamous update about how they were planning to release a plan for their new roadmap for SQ42 and SC. A roadmap for a roadmap as everyone called it. In the year that they are supposedly releasing SQ42.

And Chris goes on a rant on how backers are unfair in criticizing the project's management and progress. Motherfucker, you have been lying to them for years. You sold virtual ships, poured money on misleading ship trailers. Sold space land. You decided to let scope creep destroy your project, and you placed that decision on a forum poll on the misleading premise and promise that it would not delay development time.

Chris is either lying or majorly incompetent. Or both. The over-optimist excuse does not fly.
Chris Roberts clearly needed the leash that he had at Origin/EA. Now that he’s free to do whatever he wants, the result is this. I think this is why major game publishers actually set deadlines for studios and developers and give them firm budgets to work with. Turns out the leash is there for a reason.

ShadowNate

Chris Roberts clearly needed the leash that he had at Origin/EA. Now that he’s free to do whatever he wants, the result is this. I think this is why major game publishers actually set deadlines for studios and developers and give them firm budgets to work with. Turns out the leash is there for a reason.
It's probably why he was removed from the Freelancer development by Microsoft too, so they could get something out the door.

And the reason he had to go resort to crowdfunding and kickstarter (no publisher would take on this pipe dream) and have Crytek build a demo for him to show off. And then switched to perpetual crowdfunding, even though those early crowdfunding campaigns were a huge success and gathered way more money than was requested / set as goal. Because the incompetence cannot be sufficiently be funded otherwise.

To be fair, the "publishers bad" was a narrative that a lot of project creators on Kickstarter (and other crowdfunding platforms) were pushing and riding at the time. What is weird though is that a lot of people still argue that to be true to this day.

We have way too much to the counter the naive "publisher bad" claim today.

Only a handful projects managed to do well with this approach and they *all* were careful not to blow up their scope with many (or any) stretch goals or increase it due to gathering more money that they originally anticipated.

The majority, though, failed to prove the claim to be true, spectacularly and miserably.

Like it's no secret that the Double Fine Adventure was mediocre at best, but what's more important Double Fine miscalculated and mismanaged its development to the point they had to split release in episodes and pretty much use money from the sale of the first episode as well as from multiple pay-what-you-want sales to gather money to finish production. And Double Fine actually did deliver on the video documentary goal, so they were technically successful on that.

It's also no secret the OUYA console was an utter failure, Massive Chalice, Mighty No. 9, Armikrog, too, to name but a few. Some others never made it to a release and were abandoned. A subset were proven to be outright scams, for the rest there are still some backers waiting for them occasionally yelling hopelessly at the void for updates.

If you can look at Star Citizen, with all its red flags raised for years (and still raising more -- my God, a roadmap to a roadmap in a release year and a meltdown by Roberts after months of absence), and declare that this is different or this is better, I think you are massively gaslighting yourself.

DJT123

I'm amazed this "project" seems to be having a second wind lately; I guess not enough people have seen Chris Roberts in his natural habitat yet. This is the guy average people gave a quarter of a BILLION dollars to because Publishers like E.A or Ubisoft are so "incompetent."

Last edited:

magaman

Banned
Who said it won't be fine without me? smh. Its not that serious man. Not all who backed it are just saying nothing blindly, its crazy to think even questioning exactly why the development is going like this is would have this type of defensive response as "We'll be just fine without you. Nobody will know you're gone" or " Go outside, and find another hobby" or "the ones who have patience and dont mind waiting, are the ones with the problem" when never said the game would not be fine without me, never said no games should have long development, never said anyone was the problem.... Soooo this weird defensive stance at even the slightest question about this games development is quite odd. Its within reason to question at this point whats going on. Not every single last question is an attack bud. You literally tried to argue ANYTHING I questioned must have been some sort of attack on you or its backers, when I'M ONE OF ITS BACKERS! Its why you are trying to FORCE that I'm suggesting anyone is a "problem" with nothing in my post even remotely suggesting that.

Going to have to ignore you btw, you are just waaaaaay too upset that someone else has a different opinion on this title that actually backed it...

Go outside homie. You're way too upset about this. Ignoring now. Good luck, hope things get better for you!

Top Bottom