• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen/Squadron 42 News Thread

Starfield

Hello everyone! I decided to create this thread for anyone who wants to be up-to-date with the latest SC/SQ42 info aswell as some potential leaks (they will be marked as a spoiler!). This thread will be updated regurlarly with new info by me. (feel free to post new videos, blog posts, etc.. on your own if you want though)

SC-fb.jpg

Well without further blabla let's get it on!

This month IAE (Intergalactic Aerospace Expo) will be happening from NOV 20 - DEC 2.

What does that mean?
  • During this period the game will be free-to-play where you can try out every ship that is currently flyable in the game
  • Concept ships aswell as various other ships that are currently not buyable will go on sale
  • During IAE expect a small discount on starter packages and starting ships
  • Expect some surprises (new ships being announced/straight to flyable, etc...)
source.jpg

We also got some juicy leaks by a chinese leaker regarding next year's focus in Star Citizen development aswell as Squadron 42:

I won't post what it says but have a look in the link above.

Game version is currently 3.11.1 and 3.12 is expected to launch Q4 2020 or December to be precise.

The next ship that will be joining the verse is going to be the Mercury Star Runner:

Mercury_FrontFiring_Concept.jpeg

see you in the verse

Last edited:
I would've had a new 3080 by now and would be joining you brother, but IRL hiccups concerning budget right at the time I could have pre ordered as well as rumors of a 3080ti have me holding out and saving up for that. I'll def join you then. After trying out one of the open fly events with my 1080 and loving everything except for the performance, I've been waiting for a GPU upgrade to hop into SC for quite some time now. Can't wait.

Also, screw all the haters man. Keep posting, I'll definitely be keeping tabs. I love watching the developer vids btw. Really cool to see all the problem solving that goes on when implementing the ambitious stuff they're trying to.

DerFuggler

How many years? How many years until development is complete? How many years until it goes gold? How many of you actually remember getting excited for the kickstarter for this? I was there.

How can anyone see this as viable? Not trolling. I'm serious.

magaman

Banned
zie3aszwvtx51.jpg

Please look at the above. After 9 years, the green items are integrated in some way into Star Citizen. The red items are not.

There are 110+ incomplete items that are known. Some small (betting) and some large (alien civilizations).

If they completed one of these features per month, it would take them 10 years at this point.

Consider now that they don't have basic core technology in place that allows persistence.

This game is not coming out.

Last edited:

Starfield

zie3aszwvtx51.jpg

Please look at the above. After 9 years, the green items are integrated in some way into Star Citizen. The red items are not.

There are 110+ incomplete items that are known. Some small (betting) and some large (alien civilizations).

If they completed one of these features per month, it would take them 10 years at this point.

Consider now that they don't have basic core technology in place that allows persistence.

This game is not coming out.
Dont worry. Those aren't even all of the features that right now are currently missing. Its just the creator of this image personal way of looking at it

Starfield

How many years? How many years until development is complete? How many years until it goes gold? How many of you actually remember getting excited for the kickstarter for this? I was there.

How can anyone see this as viable? Not trolling. I'm serious.
Cyberpunk-2077-coming-when-its-ready.png

magaman

Banned
Dont worry. Those aren't even all of the features that right now are currently missing. Its just the creator of this image personal way of looking at it

Right. I should've further emphasized "known" features missing. There are likely dozens of additional features that we don't know about. There are also dozens of ships still left to be integrated.

Also there are 100 promised star systems. They could release an entire system per month (multiple unique planets) and it would take them 9 more years to do just this one line item. For context, in 9 years they have released one system.

Again, the game is not coming out.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I would've had a new 3080 by now and would be joining you brother, but IRL hiccups concerning budget right at the time I could have pre ordered as well as rumors of a 3080ti have me holding out and saving up for that. I'll def join you then. After trying out one of the open fly events with my 1080 and loving everything except for the performance, I've been waiting for a GPU upgrade to hop into SC for quite some time now. Can't wait.

Also, screw all the haters man. Keep posting, I'll definitely be keeping tabs. I love watching the developer vids btw. Really cool to see all the problem solving that goes on when implementing the ambitious stuff they're trying to.
Fairly sure this whole post is ironic but I can't quite tell

MadAnon

"Most open development ever."

RSI can't even give us a road map or proper update on the state of S42, so there's this random Chinese "source" with some made up info. He's telling that S42 is at same state as Cyberpunk 2077.

Yeah, sure...

Last edited:

ShadowNate

At this point, they can only stay relevant if they make comparisons to popular MMORPGs and other really hyped titles.

They used to do this with Duke Nukem Forever, until someone probably told them what a terrible idea that was. Which was in itself yet another red flag. The complete detachment from the industry.

magaman

Banned
At this point, they can only stay relevant if they make comparisons to popular MMORPGs and other really hyped titles.

They used to do this with Duke Nukem Forever, until someone probably told them what a terrible idea that was. Which was in itself yet another red flag. The complete detachment from the industry.

Dual Universe is another "persistent sci-fi world" that already offers far more features than SC. It cost approximately $3 million and has a dev team literally 6% of the size.

Last edited:

Starfield

I've got some new stuff today, 2/3rds of it is leaked stuff though so I'll put it behind a spoiler, its regarding ships so here it is:

Left pic: the CNOU Nomad by Consolidated Outland, it will be a "surprise" during this month's IAE, idk yet what type of ship it is, size is around Cutlass.
Middle Pic: Mercury Star Runner (surprise surprise, it will be flight ready during IAE)
Right Pic: RSI Gunboat, its their "biggest" surprise...a frigate sized combat ship by RSI. Price unknown, my speculation will be 600-700$ , hint: its made for orgs)

IAESneakPeak-Min.png

KingDankKush

Neo Member
Despite the long development, it feels like Cloud Imperium Games is finally starting to hit a stride with getting bugs fixed, adding new content, etc. I have a feeling that within the next 2-3 years we'll finally have our hands on a solid build and hopefully Squadron 42.

magaman

Banned
Bump as a reminder that their annual ship sale is going on now, and SC has officially surpassed record funding for this year. That's right, with no end in sight, these guys are still raking in record profits.

magaman

Banned
I won’t give them another dollar.

You won't. Thousands of others will, for whatever reason. This "game" and its success baffles me. Had it been under other leadership, maybe it would be going somewhere. But it isn't, and it won't unless Chris Roberts is forcibly removed.

anothertech

You won't. Thousands of others will, for whatever reason. This "game" and its success baffles me. Had it been under other leadership, maybe it would be going somewhere. But it isn't, and it won't unless Chris Roberts is forcibly removed.
I thought they were making progress tho?

How much progress I haven't been keeping up. I'm just hoping one day I get the email that "star citizen is officially releasing" and I'll go and play it on my pc.

But I have been waiting since my initial contribution in 2012 so...

magaman

Banned
They wasted too much money and time on that shit. They needed to use backers' money properly but instead they made too much unnecessary shit like that and scrapped how many shits like those in the development.

Miyamoto should go to their HQ and slaps Chris Robert's face to knock a couple of senses into him.

Dude, do you realize how much money was spent on CGI alone? This entire fucking event is an excuse to just throw DOZENS of artists, developers, and producers at the biggest possible money grab. That's all this game is.

EDIT: Even better, CIG's favorite excuse for delaying a feature is how they just didn't have enough time to complete it. Then you see bullshit like these stupid fucking expo event CGIs.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

This game was suppose to release in 2014. RSI then changes the EULA and now no one knows when it'll be done. What a debacle. It's like a choose your own adventure but there's not much adventure so you have to roll play like a dork. I bought some ships, I supported the game. All I want to do is be able to fly my damn ships to a planet and not have my character glitch out of the seat and into the darkest voids of space when I get up during atmospheric entry to use the crapper. The physics in the game seem to be done by a drunken primate and there's more rubber-banding than Lou Albino's head. Roberts needs to step down or sell the IP.

nowhat

The physics in the game seem to be done by a drunken primate
I'm in no shape or form trying to defend this eternal fundraiser masquerading as a video game, but as a developer*), that describes quite a significant portion of developers.

*) albeit not in the games industry

TVexperto

I’d love to get some insights how it is to work for CIG and what’s the matter with development.

Why is the state of the game basically standing still since 2 years?

Why all the false advertisement (for example the sandworm - although CIG stated in their latest video that they haven’t even started doing any creature work AT ALL.)

What are these 600+ people doing all day long if we consider that nothing progresses?

What’s up with SQ42? What do the devs that work on that game do all day long?

I imagine these guys literally just sitting on their asses 8hrs a day until their shift is over to go home and say “I love my job. My boss doesn’t care if I finish anything & that’s what I get paid for.”

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I would say I can't wait to buy this game when there's an actual game to buy.

But I would be lying, as I am literrally very happy to wait and not fund a pyramid scheme.

Bodomism

Banned
SMH, fanboys in the comment section are really thinking those cinematic stuffs were done by Cloud Imperium Games.

It was outsourced FFS.

nowhat

They have over 700 developers right now with the majority working on Squadron 42 and they just announced a new studio which they will bolster up with around 100 devs to work solely on creating new Star Systems.

I think they will be fine.
*insert something about putting up or shutting up here*

Top Bottom