• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen/Squadron 42 News Thread

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It wouldn't be nearly as bad if it's been 8 years in development with them quietly plugging away and then releasing a game. But they continually release feature-creep, patches and sponging for more money. At least CDPR released Cyberpunk and played well on my XSX. I mean $1K for a virtual ship is a scam. Sorry but it is. They shouldn't even be offering that stuff for a game ....let alone one that is still in alpha.

harmny

Banned
It will be ready when it's ready chris. 350 million dollars and counting. You make like 100k a day if we look at the crowdfunding timeline. Just be careful because a couple of sq42 actors might die of old age soon but other than that don't worry about a thing.

Don't rush it as you said look at what happened to cyberpunk

Miles708

The point i still have problems with, even accounting for all the good faith in the world, is why people keep giving then money.

What I mean is: they have enough money. Whatever feature they're working on, it's feasible in that budget. Once you have enough money, having more won't have any magical effect of the project.

They have enough money. The project is secure. You can stop now.

iQuasarLV

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if it's been 8 years in development with them quietly plugging away and then releasing a game. But they continually release feature-creep, patches and sponging for more money. At least CDPR released Cyberpunk and played well on my XSX. I mean $1K for a virtual ship is a scam. Sorry but it is. They shouldn't even be offering that stuff for a game ....let alone one that is still in alpha.
Better watch out Evil. Spitting reality triggers people.

Just watched a news recap where SC was meme'd as a future Hollywood movie about it being a Ponzi scheme, and Elite Dangerous is gaining fanbase from disgruntled SC players. Things that make you go Hmm.

There's never enough money for constant cocaine parties.
*quote*

The longest and most destructive party ever held is now into its fourth generation, and still no one shows any signs of leaving. Somebody did once look at his watch, but that was eleven years ago, and there has been no follow-up.

The mess is extraordinary, and has to be seen to be believed, but if you don't have any particular need to believe it, then don't go and look, because you won't enjoy it.

There have recently been some bangs and flashes up in the clouds, and there is one theory that this is a battle being fought between the fleets of several rival carpet-cleaning companies who are hovering over the thing like vultures, but you shouldn't believe anything you hear at parties, and particularly not anything you hear at this one.

One of the problems, and it's one which is obviously going to get worse, is that all the people at the party are either the children or the grandchildren or the great-grandchildren of the people who wouldn't leave in the first place, and because of all the business about selective breeding and regressive genes and so on, it means that all the people now at the party are either absolutely fanatical partygoers, or gibbering idiots, or, more and more frequently, both.

Either way, it means that, genetically speaking, each succeeding generation is now less likely to leave than the preceding one.

So other factors come into operation, like when the drink is going to run out.

Now, because of certain things which have happened which seemed like a good idea at the time (and one of the problems with a party which never stops is that all the things which only seem like a good idea at parties continue to seem like good ideas), that point seems still to be a long way off.

One of the things which seemed like a good idea at the time was that the party should fly - not in the normal sense that parties are meant to fly, but literally.

One night, long ago, a band of drunken astro-engineers of the first generation clambered round the building digging this, fixing that, banging very hard on the other and when the sun rose the following morning, it was startled to find itself shining on a building full of happy drunken people which was now floating like a young and uncertain bird over the treetops.

Not only that, but the flying party had also managed to arm itself rather heavily. If they were going to get involved in any petty arguments with wine merchants, they wanted to make sure they had might on their side.

The transition from full-time cocktail party to part-time raiding party came with ease, and did much to add that extra bit of zest and swing to the whole affair which was badly needed at this point because of the enormous number of times that the band had already played all the numbers it knew over the years.

They looted, they raided, they held whole cities for ransom for fresh supplies of cheese crackers, avocado dip, spare ribs and wine and spirits, which would now get piped aboard from floating tankers.

The problem of when the drink is going to run out is, however, going to have to be faced one day.

The planet over which they are floating is no longer the planet it was when they first started floating over it.

It is in bad shape.

The party had attacked and raided an awful lot of it, and no one has ever succeeded in hitting it back because of the erratic and unpredictable way in which it lurches round the sky.

It is one hell of a party. It is also one hell of a thing to get hit by in the small of the back.

harmny

Banned
The point i still have problems with, even accounting for all the good faith in the world, is why people keep giving then money.

What I mean is: they have enough money. Whatever feature they're working on, it's feasible in that budget. Once you have enough money, having more won't have any magical effect of the project.

They have enough money. The project is secure. You can stop now.

I don't think they have enough money to be honest. Of course you see the 350M number and you may think they do but...

They are pretty much spending millions every month. They have like 600+ employees and many offices around the world in usa uk and Germany.

If funding stopped tomorrow they wouldn't be able to keep developing the game for much longer.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I don't think they have enough money to be honest. Of course you see the 350M number and you may think they do but...

They are pretty much spending millions every month. They have like 600+ employees and many offices around the world in usa uk and Germany.

If funding stopped tomorrow they wouldn't be able to keep developing the game for much longer.
Jesus just had a read through that... They're fucking huge and spending a ton o money and still so far from releasing an actual game, sounds like they could do with squadron 42 out and be at least decent to get the naysayers of their back, I mean how hard is it too turn out a first person shooter when all your assets are already made and the engine is built and perfectly capable, I mean how big are the teams spitting out COD each year ffs

Jesus just had a read through that... They're fucking huge and spending a ton o money and still so far from releasing an actual game, sounds like they could do with squadron 42 out and be at least decent to get the naysayers of their back, I mean how hard is it too turn out a first person shooter when all your assets are already made and the engine is built and perfectly capable, I mean how big are the teams spitting out COD each year ffs

If SQ42 comes out and turns out like CP2077 then they can expect all funding to stop given how long it's been in development in the state it's been. Better they just keep delaying it and release it when it's ready whenever that'll be to keep their dream alive while they can

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whomever is in charge of raising money for this game should consider a change to charitable causes.

If they can raise $350 million for a space ship game, they could probably use their skills and raise a trillion dollars for cancer research.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hey, I'm curious if anyone knows.

For all those $4000 spaceships and stuff you can buy, is that tied to an online server? Or is it accessible offline so you can at least look at it?

Just wondering so when SC servers are shut down (which they will be), whether your mtx ship is toast or you still got it offline.

iHaunter

I wouldn't say far. SQ42 is the main game. Star Citizen is another game entirely. They're making two games at once.

ShadowNate

Of course they don't have enough money. It's a scam.

It's not like they asked for a certain amount on Kickstarter, have gathered it multiple times over, but still kept their crowd funding open perpetually. selling ships worth thousands of bucks. Or that no more than a couple of years ago their CEO wrote public statements to the backers that they have enough money to complete both games, but hey, more money mean a more polished experience. Or that, you know, having multiple offices around the world when you're unable to put out even one complete game for years, missing all of your own deadlines and mlestones is way too costly.

Oh, no wait, all those things are true and have happened..And the "game" is still in pre-alpha.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Of course they don't have enough money. It's a scam.

It's not like they asked for a certain amount on Kickstarter, have gathered it multiple times over, but still kept their crowd funding open perpetually. selling ships worth thousands of bucks. Or that no more than a couple of years ago their CEO wrote public statements to the backers that they have enough money to complete both games, but hey, more money mean a more polished experience. Or that, you know, having multiple offices around the world when you're unable to put out even one complete game for years, missing all of your own deadlines and mlestones is way too costly.

Oh, no wait, all those things are true and have happened..And the "game" is still in pre-alpha.
I see it as community based welfare.

Instead of the government paying unemployment benefits to 100s of people, gamers foot the bill. Every $50 contributed pays for one guy's hourly pay at their head office.

ShadowNate

Right, I sincerely hope the employees who are actually developing something to keep the front up for Roberts' & friends do get paid a substantial amount of money at least.

ripeavocado

Banned
So they are transitioning to the GaaS model so that they can use as a shield against people complaining that the game isn't out yet.

"Yeah we are not out but we actually are, see how many nicely named updates we have released in the past years? Please buy our in game content"

After enough years none of the players will be able to remember what they had originally promised because they weren't even born yet at the time.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Still looks more fun than an Uncharted climbing section.
security GIF

So what can I do in this game that I can't do in Elite Dangerous.

Note that I can traffic illegal slaves in an empire where slavery is perfectly legal in Elite.

AJUMP23

Whomever is in charge of raising money for this game should consider a change to charitable causes.

If they can raise $350 million for a space ship game, they could probably use their skills and raise a trillion dollars for cancer research.
I believe the marketing and or PR person is Chris Robert's wife. Or at least it was in the early going.

EDIT: I had to edit due to late night phone typing.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned

here you have 40 minutes of backend universe simulation and AI. i want to see all of those people that want every random npc on the world to have a routine to pledge because this is their dream.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

here you have 40 minutes of backend universe simulation and AI. i want to see all of those people that want every random npc on the world to have a routine to pledge because this is their dream.

does it have

machine learning
3d printing
and drones tho?

hopefully , sony will grab part ownership , fix bugs , new direction , characters... on p5, and i can use my space industries character , off the pc.

though i would happily sit on a pc version , if i had a good rig, screen.

just don't try n run it? on a laptop :)

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
because this is their dream.

Honestly, I don't think anyone sane buys this crap anymore.
If "the dream" is constantly changing then there is no dream, and there never was.

Year after year all we see is a scam constantly being fed by whale money, which has served to justify not delivering anything of what they originally promised to the people like me who put their actually hard-earned money into a pledge 9 years ago.

They show such disdain and lack of respect to their original backers that I don't know how some of these devs even sleep at night.
I get Chris Roberts and his wife being sociopaths because those exist. I don't get how 600 other people align with that.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
If "the dream" is constantly changing then there is no dream, and there never was.

Year after year all we see is a scam constantly being fed by whale money, which has served to justify not delivering anything of what they originally promised to the people like me who put their actually hard-earned money into a pledge 9 years ago.

They show such disdain and lack of respect to their original backers that I don't know how some of these devs even sleep at night.
I get Chris Roberts and his wife being sociopaths because those exist. I don't get how 600 other people align with that.

no. i meant being able to sit on every chair and every npc having a routine. that is the dream of a lot of people.

the 600 developers align with being paid for developing a game.

Last edited:

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
So uh, what's the status of this whole THING at the moment? lol please anyone that has been following this can you share some light details? LOL

Starfield

So uh, what's the status of this whole THING at the moment? lol please anyone that has been following this can you share some light details? LOLS
SC/SQ42 combined have 600+ developers now working on the game. Despite that content is going out at a snails pace, allthough output has increased with the past 4 patches or so.

Game is still in a horrible state I wouldnt recommend buying it but you can try it out for free RIGHT NOW to see for yourself.

Personal prediction: Squadron 42 still needs 2+ years till its ready, so does the PU

hopefully , sony will grab part ownership , fix bugs , new direction , characters... on p5, and i can use my space industries character , off the pc.

though i would happily sit on a pc version , if i had a good rig, screen.

just don't try n run it? on a laptop :)

There are going to be lawsuits, across the world, multiple thousands of them, if CIG tries anything funny by going exclusive or any "partnership" with a console manufacturer. Let alone IP "ownership". LMAO, don't even think about it.

The project was funded completely by pc gamers, at the premise that they don't have pressure from big 1st or 3rd party publishers, to hit deadlines and cut down on scope, pledging for the ultimate freedom as a developer and you, the backer, as "their publisher", as cringy as it sounds and ironic as it is as you rarely get consented upon when anything major is about to happen with the project.

Sentenza

So uh, what's the status of this whole THING at the moment? lol please anyone that has been following this can you share some light details? LOL
Playable and not even particularly light on content, but messy and plagued by poor performances in some areas no matter your hardware.

There are moments where you can get almost the feeling of being already playing something amazing... Then the AI craps itself, NPCs start glitching instead of acting properly, servers crash forcing people to reboot, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

I wouldn't say "horrible" state since it's really running great. The game doesn't crash that much anymore and you can do way more then most people think. Having bugs in a game that is in development is a non argument these days, so i don't know why people still come up with this.

Released games are not even bug free, hell software is never bug free. A game in development has bugs....shocking.

Edit: i can see Squardron 42 heading towards consoles in the future.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

It's fine, they don't have to catter to everyone.
Right now the whale are paying the bills and that's fine too, that's how most FTP games works too.

I don't think they owe a special loyalty to the original backer over all the private backers they have collected since.
Most of the people who bought the game, bought it when the scope was expanded.

Full disclosure, I was one of the original Kickstarter backer and I too am dissapointed that they don't seem to give a fuck to make a game first and foremost , and have chosen instead to make a universe simulator.
I've made my peace with it, that's the game the dev want to make and that's fine by me even if that's not the game I imagine it was going to be.

That's what you get for backing a game that early.
It was never going to be the game I had in mind, nor was it going to be the game you had in mind.
Because it never is, you don't follow a 3 years plan when making a game, It's not a building blueprint with all the problems already solved where you just have to build the damn thing.

Humor Boomer GIF

Last edited:
There are going to be lawsuits, across the world, multiple thousands of them, if CIG tries anything funny by going exclusive or any "partnership" with a console manufacturer. Let alone IP "ownership". LMAO, don't even think about it.

The project was funded completely by pc gamers, at the premise that they don't have pressure from big 1st or 3rd party publishers, to hit deadlines and cut down on scope, pledging for the ultimate freedom as a developer and you, the backer, as "their publisher", as cringy as it sounds and ironic as it is as you rarely get consented upon when anything major is about to happen with the project.
i'm talking a spin off ,same omni verse , same tech , cross platforms(maybe) , if it didn't affect the pc dev or plans , or vision , no problem?
buying into a game , isn't buying into a corp lol.

i'm not sure what promises are made to big backers of the game?

less you own the company , and not just an expensive rig , i wouldn't be too sure buster bob....

Last edited:
no. i meant being able to sit on every chair and every npc having a routine. that is the dream of a lot of people.

the 600 developers align with being paid for developing a game.
if you're right, then it does have the potential to be amazing. if you're wrong, it's a profound act of fraud. quite the extremes, really.

Top Bottom