• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Control: Origins |OT|

WaterAstro

qyiimW2.jpg

Preface: Any fans of Star Control 2 is going to love this game. It's very nostalgic that it feels like playing Star Control 2 with current updates as to help you track your objectives. Explore systems, fight with all sorts of alien ships, and meet the most hilarious alien personalities!

Welcome Aboard
Welcome to Star Control, Captain! You’re here because you’ve shown exemplary service, aced all your flight exams, and - most importantly - passed all the sanity tests.
Humanity has learned that it is not alone in the universe and that we are hopelessly outmatched by alien civilizations seeking to destroy us. You have been selected to command Earth's first and only interstellar starship to accomplish this - try not to break it. It was expensive.

Your mission: Save humanity, Captain. At all costs and by any means necessary.

A Vast Universe
Set in the year 2088, humanity has discovered it’s not alone in the universe. Worse yet, it is catastrophically unprepared to deal with what's out there. In response, Star Control is formed and the player is selected to command the crew of the U.E.S. Vindicator.
Star Control: Origins takes place in a huge living universe just waiting to be explored. Players will find their time split between exploring distant solar systems, landing on exotic planets, navigating hyperspace, and interacting with alien species.

Encounter exotic alien civilizations. Explore strange new worlds. Assemble a fleet mighty enough to face galactic powers that have bestrode the galaxy for thousands of years.

Features
  • Navigate a living universe filled with thousands of new worlds and hundreds of hand-crafted adventures.
  • Travel across exotic and amazing worlds searching for relics, Precursor artifacts, and treasures.
  • Meet strange new aliens that can become great allies or terrible enemies.
  • Find alien technology to upgrade your ship from being an embarrassment to the terror of the galaxy.
  • Navigate through thousands of planets in a universe that has a deep history spanning. back hundreds of thousands of years.
  • Design your own ships or download them from Steam to build fleets and take them into combat in fleet battles.
  • Experience and all-new Sci-Fi universe in which you are the central character.
Join the adventure. Save the world.

Alien Races
jkHU1NQ.jpg

The Tywom are your (too) friendly neighbors that are very eager to be your friends.
Do they have an agenda? Or are they just very lonely in a creepy way?

YM4mI9G.jpg

The Mu'kay are a peaceful squid race of aliens that prefer to not interfere with the development of young aliens.
When it comes to fish, though, they are no longer peaceful.

owa3boD.jpg

The Scryve dominate the galaxy by subjugation and extermination. They've chosen to do the latter to you.
How did they come to power? What is their origin? How will you survive?

Launch Trailer

WaterAstro

I already beat the game and I think it's excellent, particularly for fans of Star Control 2. It really made me happy that I felt like I was playing the exact same game with updated graphics.

All of the aliens are hilarious, and there are even secrets to discover that I haven't gotten into. Anyone wanting a space exploration game should check this out.

Caldain

Neo Member
I preordered it because of my love of the original games (sans 3 which doesn't exist) and I've played about a dozen hours or so. It is a faithful re-imagining of Star Control 2 with a new story and new races. I think if you're familiar with the franchise you'll love it but if you haven't played them, your mileage will vary. The game is perhaps too faithful to the original but it was definitely made with a lot of love. The music is excellent, the humor of the new races is sometimes laugh out loud funny. For the price, it's pretty damn good. Also there should be a lot of replayability once the adventure tools are released which will allow for modding.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I hope they don't destroy the superb legacy they inherit.

zeorhymer

what's the dill on this game? looks fairly interesting, steam reviews seem OK
It's the next phase of the Star Control universe. It's a different game than the trilogy that came out in the 90s. It uses the same combat system as the previous game, a top down 2d arcade combat.

Is this the real one or the fake one?
Not quite sure what you mean here. Stardock own the IP rights since 2013. The original creators were going to make a new game around the same time Stardock was going to make the game. So it's fishy all around.

Hmmm, looks like they made it too 'goofy'.
Like the Pkunk, Orz, or Arilou weren't "goofy" enough...

WaterAstro

I hope they don't destroy the superb legacy they inherit.
As a huge fan of Star Control 2, I feel like they did it justice. Maybe too much because people are complaining about the resource collecting, but that was all part of Star Control 2.

PkunkFury

I won't buy this until the lawsuit is settled and Paul and Fred are free to make their sequel with no issues, but I figured I'd jump into this thread to see if anyone had given it a whirl.

I just ran through The Ur-Quan Masters HD to hold me over and have been reminded what a fantastic game feels like. A bit mad about the legal mess, as I'd love to have given this a whirl. Wish Stardock had had the sense to make this an homage and not bother buying the rights to an old (and fairly useless at this point) name. Would've pleased everyone. If they are allowed to snatch the rights to the IP, I'll be a little ticked

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Thinking about this on sale. People still enjoying it? I assume the lawsuit stuff is done.

Patrick S.

Banned
Thinking about this on sale. People still enjoying it? I assume the lawsuit stuff is done.
Thinking about getting this, too. Was reminded about it by a special discount voucher GOG sent me for it. I remember people were very lukewarm towards this game, because apparently it was a bit half baked?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Star Control: Origins is on sale for $13.49 on GOG right now.

I used to follow Brad Wardell on Twitter too. Seems like a pretty cool guy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom