• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean: The Divine Force |OT| Encounters in Space

Graciaus

Reloaded for all of Ray's endings. Don't feel like crafting for the normal ending though.
Marielle goes in and gives a kiss. Malkya wants him but he goes full beta smh. I think that was romance with Elena? Laeticia is so lame even her ending is. Safe ending with Nina. No idea who JJ was talking about in his ending.
Not going to bother with post game.

Zephir

Game finished, it was a great adventure!
Once again, budget was clearly an issue, but they still managed to make something nice!

I hope this will be a "franchise rebirth" like Tales of Arise and Atelier Ryza, but we'll have to see the sales data.
I definitely want to see more and I'll get the platinum in the second play after Sonic Frontiers.

In the meantime I'll do the post game
I've already got everybody at level 255 and steamrolled Gabriel Celeste, because this game is broken just like the good old times <3

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've had 2 freezes so far while playing and both happened in post-game boss battles. During the last one I was in the middle of fighting the Ethereal Queen :(

Star Ocean 4 also had issues with occasional freezing during post game dungeons so I'm not that surprised but I hope they can patch this since it's on a different engine.

Game finished, it was a great adventure!
Once again, budget was clearly an issue, but they still managed to make something nice!

I hope this will be a "franchise rebirth" like Tales of Arise and Atelier Ryza, but we'll have to see the sales data.
I definitely want to see more and I'll get the platinum in the second play after Sonic Frontiers.

In the meantime I'll do the post game
I've already got everybody at level 255 and steamrolled Gabriel Celeste, because this game is broken just like the good old times <3
Did you use the exp stacking trick to jump to lv 255? Who are you using to craft items with +135% exp factors?
I have everyone at lv 10 crafting and for the life of me I can't get a single item with this factor.
Last night I just equipped Laeticia with the determined princess passive attribute and then spent hours grinding to lv 213 the old fusion way

Last edited:

Zephir

Did you use the exp stacking trick to jump to lv 255? Who are you using to craft items with +135% exp factors?
I have everyone at lv 10 crafting and for the life of me I can't get a single item with this factor.
Last night I just equipped Laeticia with the determined princess passive attribute and then spent hours grinding to lv 213 the old fusion way
I used Laetitia for crafting and Raymond for smithering low level stuff, hoping to get lucky and gaining the exp factors, it took a while and I even used the faize pawns but eventually got them. If you look at their talents, that's what they're most adept to.

Then it was a matter of crafting an armor and giving it 4 amplifier of accessory factors (this time I used only Ray smith because Letty crafting makes her create accessory and those never have the factor needed)

Then the synthesis must be done with Malkya (again, she has the right talents for the job).

I tried to do the same with Fols but apparently the gain is not as massive as the EXP

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just killed the Ethereal Queen, finally.
I've never cared about killing the 4 and 6 wing versions in past SO games so I'm content to stop here.

Now that I have both SO4 and SO6 on Steam, I'm wondering if they will ever port SO5 to Steam as well. I could get it on PS4 but I'd be limited to 1080p, and it would be nice to have them all on the same platform...

Reactions: Isa

Zephir

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE HER!

Vu19ibU.jpg

Started this up because I like the series and wanted to support tri-Ace before the impending $20 discount of desperation.

So far I'm getting the hang of it fairly well. The balance between blindsiding and attacking seems reasonable. Kind of wish there was an auto-level similar to FF7 for skills and such. Environmental exploration is actually decent since you can quickly make the scanner circle fucking huge, thank god. And I really don't mind the PS2ness of the facial animations so long as the script and story is decent, which it rarely is for JRPGs. XC 3 had me bored out of my mind most of the game with how boring and flat and tidy everything was despite the clearly superior animation, though I know most people wouldn't agree with my assessment. I am sad the game doesn't do the full team thing the last game did, I really enjoyed that.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
What engine is this game running on?

Edit: found out it’s the ASKA engine, made by tri-ace. I’m extremely impressed… this entire time I legit thought it was unreal engine 4.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
The game is really starting to grow on me.

I was really unsure intially.

I do wish performance was better on the 60fps mode, as even with VRR I can definitely feel drops.

Game looks very soft.

It's clearly a lower budget Sqaure Enix title, Diofield Chronicles has been my fave SE game this year so far, as that was such a genuine surprise.

Last edited:

TwinB242

Finished the game the other day. It was solid overall. I do think I preferred the first half compared to the 2nd half. The story goes a bit off the rails and the late game dungeons weren't as enjoyable to me.

KàIRóS

Okay I finally finished all post game content, my total playtime was 87 hours, the post game wasn't as meaty as other entries but it was still a good challenge, anyway these are my final thoughts.

IMO this is the first SO that truly manages to capture all the good mechanics from previous SOs, Dual Protagonist from SO2, AP gauge which works similarly to Fury in SO3, Blindsides from SO4 and Vatting which works similarly to Reserve Rush from SO5, and all that makes this my favorite combat in the series, it also got rid of annoying mechanics like the bonus gauges which I hated since SO3, Story was surprisingly good I really liked the twist of making the federation the bad guys and the mystery behind the villain (villains?) also all the characters had at least some development which was a problem in previous entries, the music is classic Motoi Sakuraba and it has the most epic version of "Incarnation of the Devil" he has ever made, if this is truly the last Star Ocean game by tri Ace it was a damn good last game.

My SO ranking: SO2>SO6>SO4>SO3>SO1>>>>>SO5(absolute garbage)

JayK47

I'm kind of getting wore out by the game. The plot is not doing it for me. Scorpium? More like borium. I am still figuring stuff out as well. Like now seeing how to level up individual abilities. I was leveling up skills only until what seems like the end.

JayK47

Seems most people here hate Star Ocean 5, but liked 4. I got to the end of 4 and the difficulty spiked big time. I was at least able to beat 5. I had to quit 4 and just ended up watching a video to see the ending. So many jRPGs do this, as if to extend playtime. They want you to grind at the very end to beat the last area. I am at what may be the the last area of the game and they are making me fight bosses I have already previously beat (annoying by itself), but now they are 100 times stronger and are killing me with single hits. So I guess I keep dying or I need to leave and grind to level up. Watching a playthrough video, the person playing has insane amounts of hit points, maybe a NG+ playthrough. I am not sure how they have that many hit points without NG+. This later level I am on is just annoying. I can't describe it without spoilers, but it is awful by any standards.

TwinB242

Seems most people here hate Star Ocean 5, but liked 4. I got to the end of 4 and the difficulty spiked big time. I was at least able to beat 5. I had to quit 4 and just ended up watching a video to see the ending. So many jRPGs do this, as if to extend playtime. They want you to grind at the very end to beat the last area. I am at what may be the the last area of the game and they are making me fight bosses I have already previously beat (annoying by itself), but now they are 100 times stronger and are killing me with single hits. So I guess I keep dying or I need to leave and grind to level up. Watching a playthrough video, the person playing has insane amounts of hit points, maybe a NG+ playthrough. I am not sure how they have that many hit points without NG+. This later level I am on is just annoying. I can't describe it without spoilers, but it is awful by any standards.

The last few fights aren't fun, but I didn't have to grind to beat them. They're really just tests of endurance that take a while to beat. Stock up on healing/revive items while making sure Nina is in your party and you should be fine. Also, I prioritized dumping my skill points into all of the health/defense upgrades for each character. That'll increase their survivability during the battles.

Last edited:
4 has great gameplay. I remember back when it came out SO4 was hated, and most peopled liked 3 lol. 2 is the best overall though.
In any Tri Ace game you gotta abuse the fuck out the item creation system to stay afloat if you don't wanna grind. Guessing this is the same.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
4 has great gameplay. I remember back when it came out SO4 was hated, and most peopled liked 3 lol. 2 is the best overall though.
In any Tri Ace game you gotta abuse the fuck out the item creation system to stay afloat if you don't wanna grind. Guessing this is the same.
I played SO4 back when I had 360, and I remember in that games at some point you need to change disk and there was quest near the end of the game about finding flowers but that need go back pervious areas and I consistently changing disk and it was pain in the ass.

Combat in SO4 wasn't bad at all but everything else was pretty piss poor in my opinion.

Last edited:

JayK47

Well I wrapped this up. The ending was pretty bland. When I heard about post game content, I thought it would take place after the end of the game, not simply dump you back prior to the boss battle. I did about all I wanted to do before fighting the boss, so I am not sure what else there is to do.

KàIRóS

SO4 has my favorite playable characters in the series in Bacchus, Meracle and Arumat, I also liked the pairing mechanics for the party members, it had some really funny PAs depending on who you pair with who and the story while nothing extraordinary had some good plot twists here and there, I understand the hate behind the awful voice acting, the stiff 3D models and the cringey parts of the story but overall I think it's a really fun game.

anthony2690

Banned
I really want to love this game.

But I get to the open zone maps, but performance tanks on series X, so bad even VRR can not save the game.

& At times, it feels like it is running in slow motion, I'm 11 or 12 hours in and just got to nilhelm or whatever it is called, but the games performance is really ruining the experience for me.

SkylineRKR

SO4 had a lot of good things going on. It was big, lots of cutscenes and planets to explore. Great combat system. SO4 felt big budget and its for sure better than 3 which i also played as PS2 classic.

But the story and dialogue was awful, and some dungeons were boring (but again, not as bad as 3 that also trolled you with no warp out very often). I especially hated that Alternate Earth part and scene.

I was absolutely happy once i picked up my PS3 copy. It felt like a big JRPG, which were getting scarce.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I beat it. Was a fun game. Not as good as Tales Of Arise.
For someone who isn’t a big Tales fan. That’s kinda disappointing to hear. I was hoping they’d release a better performance patch for the Deck before I started it again. I’m exactly where the demo left off.

Komatsu

I can't decide whether to start this today or wait till after I finish Sonic Frontiers, as that arrives in a couple days :)

Maybe I need to find something short and sweet to play till Tuesday.

If you haven't, now's the time to start. You can wrap it up in a couple of weeks and still pick another game before the end of the year.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is force feedback (vibration) working for anyone on PC?
I played through it on a first-gen DualShock 4 but it never vibrated.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I finally just finished it! It was pretty good. SO2 will always be my favorite but I’d put this tied for second place with First Departure.

I will say the game lost steam during the final 1/4 or so.
Like many JRPGs I reached the point where I got all the party members, saw everyone’s plot arc, unlocked all the stuff in the skill tree that I’m interested in, and now I just want to WRAP IT UP.

Didn’t help that so much of the last 10 hours is DUMA slowly dumping info on you in HER…SLOW…1970s…ROBOT…VOICE. Plus so much of: get to boss-> listen to boss yap on and on -> defeat boss -> boss gives you another speech while dying on the ground -> DUMA dumping more info on you -> repeat.

I swear you fight Bohld’or like 7 times and each time he has a freaking speech before and after

Great game that’s somewhat tarnished by a bad final act. But overall I enjoyed it. Really hope this isn’t the end of the franchise, but if it is, at least it went out on a high note.

How do you beat fused remington? He just one-hits like two members of my party at a time and I'm spending all my time reviving characters.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
How do you beat fused remington? He just one-hits like two members of my party at a time and I'm spending all my time reviving characters.
I used estery cage (literally the only time I used it… I forgot it existed) and took cheap shots at him with Elena’s gun until his shield was down, then rush in and pummel him.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I'm 16 hours in, how much have I got left?

I just got onto the space ship arizuki or whatever it is called, the story is pretty dire, and I have a unidentified ship approaching me, that is 2 hours away, and been told to rest, I saved my game and decided to rest in real life instead

But yeah, I haven't explored as much as I would do usually on other rpg games, but the poor performance just makes me not want too explore the open zoned areas at all.

I think this could be a fun budget jrpg, if the performance didn't constantly ruin my enjoyment of the game. :/

drganon

I had trouble with him as well. You have to knock down his shield first and then he's real easy to beat. I also did some grinding which made the fight alot easier as well.

-Zelda-

Banned
Tired of having to get right in front of my tv when it comes to leveling up skills in the character menu due to how small the font is. They need to patch in size adjustment options. Should not be that hard to see from 8 feet away on a 55 inch 4k TV.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Got my rental delivered today, started in prioritize performance mode and pleasantly surprised how silky smooth it is. The facial animations leave a lot to be desired tho, this is some very late gen PS3 quality JRPG running at a higher resolution/frame rate.

adamsapple

Ok, from what I've played so far, it's very middling. I enjoyed Valkyrie Profile more than this.

This game feels like I'm playing a worse version of Edge of Eternity.

Trumpets

..aaaand done. Took me ~36 hours with a fair bit of exploration & trying to trigger Personal Actions etc.

It's no masterpiece but given how bad the previous one was and the current state of Tri-Ace it's a miracle it turned out this well. I liked nearly all the characters and the story was fine if a bit generic. Thanks to DUMA the combat is the best in the series by far.

It really could have done with a full second planet to explore (like Second Story had) rather than a few random locations dotted around the galaxy, but given the obviously limited budget that is probably unrealistic.

Komatsu

It really could have done with a full second planet to explore (like Second Story had) rather than a few random locations dotted around the galaxy, but given the obviously limited budget that is probably unrealistic.

The sheer amount of backtracking you gotta do is quite annoying but it is a pretty solid game otherwise.

Metnut

I have the PS5 disc version and I’m having a real hard time getting the game to start. When I attempt to start it, it goes to the title screen but freezes. I tried reinstalling the game and had the same issue. I did get it to load one time after leaving at the screen for like 25 minutes.

Anyone else have this issue and any ideas how to help? First time I’ve ever had a game that I can’t even play.

adamsapple

aagh .. this game has some real infuriating QoL things that should not happen in a game from 2022.

Every time there is a cut-scene or I go to town and the party disbands .. when I go to the field again, all accessories from all party members barring the main character get removed.

This is the kind of thing QA should have notified ..

Top Bottom