• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Beyond - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

By the way can I safely say they MACROSS'd the climax?

Exactly, hence I was confused. Wasn't the dialog like...

Kirk: So... did she come from your side?
Sulu: You're kidding right?

Or maybe I misheard.

Ah, I can't remember either. I'll have to re-watch it. Maybe this weekend again.

And how awesome was Yorktown? Amazing city in space. Loved the visuals in this movie.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah the visuals nailed it. Also surprised at the lack of shaky cam.

Yorktown puts ME's Citadel to shame.

I won tickets to the JJ trilogy marathon tonight. Don't know if I want to go or not. I'll miss the first film because of work and Beyond starts at 10 so it'll be a late night. Then again there's promises of free stuff.

TMP is probably the best cure for Insomnia ever devised by man.

But like I've said before, I've never been a fan of anything Star Trek aside from the Abrams films. Despite constant attempts by my other friends to get me interested in the "Real" Star Trek, as they call they them (You can guess what they think 09 and ID).

I just don't find Star Trek interesting, never have. Just feels way too cheesy and preachy to me.

Ah, I'm a little strange and liked TMP and WOK both, albeit not equally.

Trek is innately more geared towards social commentary than hard (or even, uh, I dunno, lumpy?) sci-fi. I can totally understand someone finding it cheesy and preachy, especially TOS and parts of TNG. I like the more adventurous Abrams take as well though, I don't see myself arguing it's not "real" Trek.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Sounds like this one's really lean and mean, what a sneak attack for this one to be considered possibly the best one yet.

94%...this is insane now!!!
I'm going to see it at 7pm tomorrow. I hope part of that 94% is because it's a good Star Trek film and not just a well shot and fun science fiction action spectacle.

I'm purposefully not reading any reviews before going in. All I'm going in with is my love of Prime Trek, enjoyment of 09, utter hatred of STID, and knowledge that the Fast and Furious guy is directing.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
didn't realise this was coming out and I'm staggered after the radical moterbikes in space trailer that it apparently will be awesome.. great! liked the first one a lot, second one was pretty cool as well.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
While we're ranking stuff can we all agree that Star Trek 2009 is the GOAT star trek theme? Its so fucking good and catchy. The soundtrack in that movie was probably part of the reason it was a big success.

I actually think that the Voyager theme captures the spirit of "where no one has gone before" best. It really oozes scientific exploration. Which of course is in total contrast to the series itself.

I'm just coming back from the cinema and I really have to say: I am really, really happy that no one who has worked on this script has anything to do with the new series. It may qualify as a good Star Trek parody, with some genuine delightful laughter, hilariously badly written antagonist, some nice interplay between the main characters... and a lot of brainless action, but this definitely is not Star Trek.

hank_tree

Got to see this tonight. Much better than Into Darkness. Probably not going to convert any people who didn't like the first one. #notmytrek

Feels a lot more visually ambitious than the Abrams movies aswell. It's a lot of fun. 4/5.

jerry113

Banned
Got to see this tonight. Much better than Into Darkness. Probably not going to convert any people who didn't like the first one. #notmytrek

Feels a lot more visually ambitious than the Abrams movies aswell. It's a lot of fun. 4/5.

That's good to hear. Into Darkness felt tonally opposite of what Trek is supposed to feel and go for -- too dour, too negative.

Watched it last night..it has great action scene and kind of fun moments but the story is a mess and full of cliche. Better than into the darkness for sure because the action. Also it has better ending than JJ Trek which always anti climax.
that beastie boys scene are epic. Love it

Yoshi

was
Franklin
using the Enterprise aesthetic?

Outside, yes, inside, no. This actually was one of my highlights. But this story is so incredibly dumb. After sleeping over it I am now certain: This is even worse than Nemesis. It is a really good action movie, but how this can be named Star Trek is beyond me.

Schlorgan

Made a dumb thing:

yEPGmjB.gif

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Question to people who have seen it by now:
How is the enterprise? Did they finally change the interior so that it matches the exterior and that it does not look like a brewery anymore?
i know they film engineering inside an brewery
I mean the interior shots of the enterprise, especially engineering look not like they are on a federation spaceship..
And how does the movie feel? Is it "Star Trek" or is it an action sci-fi movie flavoured with Star Trek aesthetics?

I've got our tickets for Saturday morning. But that will help adjust my expectations~

I'm going to see it at 7pm tomorrow. I hope part of that 94% is because it's a good Star Trek film and not just a well shot and fun science fiction action spectacle.

I'm purposefully not reading any reviews before going in. All I'm going in with is my love of Prime Trek, enjoyment of 09, utter hatred of STID, and knowledge that the Fast and Furious guy is directing.

SG-17 I expect your report after you watched the movie! It seems you and I like the same things about Star Trek.

How is the enterprise? Did they finally change the interior so that it matches the exterior and that it does not look like a brewery anymore?
And how does the movie feel? Is it "Star Trek" or is it an action sci-fi movie flavoured with Star Trek aesthetics?

I've got our tickets for Saturday morning. But that will help adjust my expectations~

SG-17 I expect your report after you watched the movie! It seems you and I like the same things about Star Trek.

SInce JJ era, i always feels is it an action sci-fi movie flavoured with Star Trek aesthetic, including this one.

Yoshi

I mean the interior shots of the enterprise, especially engineering look not like they are on a federation spaceship..

No apparent change in ship design. Definitely an action movie with a Sta Trek flavour, not Star Trek. That is, if you care about the plot.

Dougald

I like a lot of the ideas that go into Star Trek V and I like Kirk playing the cynical guy among everyone else who's marveled by the idea of meeting their maker.

seven_kirk_07.jpg

Um, excuse me?

Kirk straight up questioning "God" is fucking great. Trek V (along with the first movie and Generations) would have made excellent TV show episodes

Yes, Final Frontier is straight up awful, but it had at least a couple good ideas. "What does god need with a starship?" is probably the only reason I ever rewatch it. Into Darkness however doesn't even have that, I'd actually rank it dead last out of all the films

I feel similarly about Insurrection despite that also being an awful film. But that's probably just becuase they ripped the best parts of the plot out of one of my favourite TNG episodes.

but many of the star trek films are pretty much action movies

Apart from I and IV, they pretty much all are. Movie Trek isn't really the same as TV Trek

Boss Doggie

I really hate Insurrection due to the elf/granola green shit they have.

that and how the colony which we are supposed to side with are easily the worst people with stupid arguments

Apart from I and IV, they pretty much all are. Movie Trek isn't really the same as TV Trek

and even then I'd argue Beyond has shades of a TOS episode due to the exploration bits

Dougald

I really hate Insurrection due to the elf/granola green shit they have.

that and how the colony which we are supposed to side with are easily the worst people with stupid arguments

And most of the plot makes no sense, don't forget that! I still like the re-use of the premise from Who watches the watchers, though.

and even then I'd argue Beyond has shades of a TOS episode due to the exploration bits

I haven't seen Beyond yet but this is what keeps me optimistic for the film

Sephzilla

Doesn't Picards decision in Insurrection also directly contradict a decision he made in TNG? Picard's my favorite captain, seeing him go full-Janeway in Insurrection hurt.

Yoshi

Star Trek Insurrection is very much TV Trek and it is not a pure action movieRegarding exploration in 13: Where is there even a hint of exploration in that movie?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'm not reading that spoiler tag but people like Struckmann or Jeremy Jahns should never be taken that seriously as critics whatsoever

Because they really aren't

munchie64

Star Trek Insurrection is very much TV Trek and it is not a pure action movieRegarding exploration in 13: Where is there even a hint of exploration in that movie?
Insurrection Is probably one of the worst too, so I wouldn't put too much credit in the movies being like the TV series.

Star Trek has always had goofy action moments anyway,

but many of the star trek films are pretty much action movies

Yes, but before JJ era, Trek movies emphasize more to story than the action.Beyond is heavily action movie where story doesn't makes any sense. Fortunately Justin Lin is a great action director compare to JJ so Beyond is much more entertaining.

Boss Doggie

Yes, but before JJ era, Trek movies emphasize more to story than the action.Beyond is heavily action movie where story doesn't makes any sense. Fortunately Justin Lin is a great action director compare to JJ so Beyond is much more entertaining.

eh I disagree

generic villain motive aside it has a decent story

Maybe if people appreciated The Motion Picture more, we would be getting less action flicks now.

You suffer in a world of your own making.

TMP for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom