• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Beyond - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb1234

Pretty close to mine, except FC is a tier too high. Can someone explain their love of that one to me?

It's just a lot of fun. It's briskly paced, has some good character moments in it, some great guest stars and one of the most memorable scenes in all of Star Trek (Lily confronting Picard in his ready room). I'm never bored watching it, which is something I can't say for the other TNG films (especially Nemesis, what a pile of garbage that film is).

platakul

Banned
It's just a lot of fun. It's briskly paced, has some good character moments in it, some great guest stars and one of the most memorable scenes in all of Star Trek (Lily confronting Picard in his ready room). I'm never bored watching it, which is something I can't say for the other TNG films (especially Nemesis, what a pile of garbage that film is).

James Cromwell owns in it.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

I find it very well made. The pacing is spot on perfect. Almost finds something for every crew member to do. Better than any other TNG movie.

I really don't think Nemises struck me a tv-like film. What happened in Nemises was important to the lore -namely a warmer relationship with Romulas- it's just that the construction of the big story beats were surrounded by a shit story involving cloning. I'd have loved to see the Star Trek films end on the note Star Trek VI did... And it tried by forging an optimistic relationship with a bitter enemy, but it just wasn't as well written.

Effect

If there is any Star Trek film that feels like it's a TV movie then it's Insurrection. Not Nemesis. A number of films have quality issues but Insurrection stands by itself in how it comes off.

kharma45

If there is any Star Trek film that feels like it's a TV movie then it's Insurrection. Not Nemesis. A number of films have quality issues but Insurrection stands by itself in how it comes off.

How did no one stop this?

make14.jpg

I'm not up on my Trek movies, is that a joystick? What happened in that scene?

After an entire movie(history of movies/shows really) of touchscreens and super advanced shit driving everything on the Enterprise, Commander Riker calls for the "manual weapons interface" and a fuckin' 1990s arcade joystick pops up from a console specifically made for this one purpose we've never seen before.

Toxi

Banned
After an entire movie(history of movies/shows really) of touchscreens and super advanced shit driving everything on the Enterprise, Commander Riker calls for the "manual weapons interface" and a fuckin' 1990s arcade joystick pops up from a console specifically made for this one purpose we've never seen before.
To be fair, there's a good reason real fighter planes use sticks and buttons even when touch screens existed since the 70s: They provide tactile feedback to the pilot.

Of course, it still sticks out like a sore thumb in the context of Star Trek, especially when it looks like an Atari 2600 controller.

Riker takes manual control of the ship to blow smoke up their asses, because the advanced computer systems that have done far more complicated things for over a century were incapable.

To be fair, there's a good reason real fighter planes use sticks and buttons even when touch screens existed since the 70s: They provide tactile feedback to the pilot.

Of course, it still sticks out like a sore thumb in the context of Star Trek, especially when it looks like an Atari 2600 controller.

So, Riker basically played Space Invaders? And I assume the joystick was never seen again?

Measley

My list:

"Legendary Tier"

1. Wrath of Khan

Wrath of Khan being considered "Legendary Tier" is a bit of a stretch.

It's definitely one of the better Star Trek films, but it hasn't aged well. Ricardo Montalbán's acting is really over the top, and comes off as downright hammy.

Frankly half of the old Trek films are bad. The only decent ones are II, IV, and VI. All of the TNG films were bad, including First Contact which had several plot holes and very lazy writing in general.

The TNG films were so bad that they almost destroyed the franchise.

Schlorgan

All of the TNG films were bad, including First Contact which had several plot holes and very lazy writing in general.

They completely change Picard's character and motivation to turn him into an action movie guy and also retcon most of the Borg stuff from the show.

That movie is definitely the best of the TNG movies, it even has some fun moments and James Cromwell is delightful, but yeah...

jb1234

They completely change Picard's character and motivation to turn him into an action movie guy and also retcon most of the Borg stuff from the show.

That movie is definitely the best of the TNG movies, it even has some fun moments and James Cromwell is delightful, but yeah...

To be fair, all four TNG films turn Picard into an action hero at some point or another. It's not really the best use of that character.

Dryk

I like it when the positive and negative reviews just say the same things in a different tone. It makes it really easy to figure out if I want to see the movie.

Can we not do this, please?

Even if you dislike Into Darkness, saying it's as bad as Revenge of The Fallen is some absurd hyperbole.
I forgot about this thread but I came back to clear something up. I think that STID is much better than RotF. But I also think that the three movies I mentioned share a lot of the exact same structural and systemic flaws and that those flaws ultimately trace back to the writing style.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really hate the concept of the Borg Queen, felt like it ruined the Borg for me.

Also I kinda hate their throwing off the whole "don't reveal the future" thing. It was funny in IV and it worked too, but not so much in FC.

Anyway can't wait for this to come this week.

I'll see it.

Wish it was more ship based though. I feel like we've never really got to live in the Enterprise yet.

Nor have they really started their 5 year mission and already the ship goes boom it seems.

Ah well, it's interstellar cowboys I'm down. Can't be worse than Insurrection.

Bluth54

I'll see it.

Wish it was more ship based though. I feel like we've never really got to live in the Enterprise yet.

Nor have they really started their 5 year mission and already the ship goes boom it seems.

Ah well, it's interstellar cowboys I'm down. Can't be worse than Insurrection.
I was hoping to see a big space battle with the Enterprise and other Federation ships against an enemy fleet especially after we were teased that in the first reboot but it doesn't look like it's going to happen in this film.

Branduil

TBF TV show Picard's one-episode recovery from being a Borg agent of genocide was always kind of a mistake. Picard having lingering PTSD from that event which causes him to behave erratically isn't too unbelievable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TBF TV show Picard's one-episode recovery from being a Borg agent of genocide was always kind of a mistake. Picard having lingering PTSD from that event which causes him to behave erratically isn't too unbelievable.
If Berman had his way, it would have been ignored completely though.

Rather fascinating how Beyond looked to be a disaster in the making when it was first shown, but so far sounds like it's shaping up to actually be a solid movie. In particular, notions in the reviews that comment about how Beyond seems to be a response to negative fan feedback towards Into Darkness surprise me. As someone who has only seen ST 2009 and ID (both of which I liked), I'm thinking about seeing it.

It's always funny how Star Trek threads always start off about the new movie, but end up with an ongoing debate over the quality of Into Darkness before devolving further into a series of lists ranking the films. It's like poetry.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Summer is here
And Star Trek is back
Beyond actually looks good
"But Into Darkness was whack"

Eh its the same with Star Wars threads, and don't even get me started with how EVERY SINGLE comic movie thread devolves into hating on AoU, IM3, and of course, Thor 2: The Dark World.

Everytime IM3 is mentioned, AoU and Thor 2 immediately follow in the line of discussion. Like clockwork every time.

If this does well for Paramount, I just want them to give Lin Transformers.

IMO the (new) F&F movies are conceptually what Michael Bay attempts to do with the Transformers movies, except with much better direction and overall execution.

The vast majority of Federation ships aren't designed for combat but they have offensive and defensive capacities that allow them to hold their own against enemy ships.

Correct. In Deep Space Nine this issue is tackled head on with The Defiant. Having said that, if my understanding of ship rankings is correct then Starfleet is technologically matched by the Romulans and Dominion, with the Cardassians falling slightly behind and the Klingons seem to be running an increasingly ageing fleet since the disaster in Star Trek VI.

Schlorgan

Don't forget that later in the show he has an opportunity to wipe out all of the Borg with a virus, but doesn't feel that it's right to do because they are a species and that would be genocide. He goes from that to revenge-filled psychopath pretty quickly.

giphy.gif

Should be required viewing: https://youtu.be/R7Lr8cdZwHQ?list=PL2CCF5FDA9CEEBDB8

Bluth54

Correct. In Deep Space Nine this issue is tackled head on with The Defiant. Having said that, if my understanding of ship rankings is correct then Starfleet is technologically matched by the Romulans and Dominion, with the Cardassians falling slightly behind and the Klingons seem to be running an increasingly ageing fleet since the disaster in Star Trek VI.
Yeah around the time of late TNG and early DS9 Starfleet seems to be making much more combat focused ships like the Defiant, Akira and Sovereign classes and given the threats they face from enemies like the Borg and the Dominion you can't blame them.
It always seemed to me that the Klingons had a fairly powerful (but probably much smaller) fleet but like the Romulans they didn't get a bunch of newer ship designs because they didn't show up as often as Federation ships and they didn't have the budget to build models for new types of ships so they kept using the same old ones over and over. Hopefully with CGI ships the upcoming Trek show will allow us to see a lot more variety in alien fleets.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahh all right, I am more into the movies and some of the TOS, but not on the later series.

Why does the TNG Enterprise have civilians on board btw? That one confused me in Generations, even though I did supplemental on the characters/series before watching the films of the TNG era.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
My list:

"Legendary Tier"

1. Wrath of Khan

"Great Tier"

2. Undiscovered Country
3. First Contact
4. Star Trek (2009)
5. The Voyage Home

"Good/Watchable Tier"

6. Search for Spock
7. Into Darkness

"Should've been an Episode/Meh tier"

8. Nemesis
9. Generations
10. Insurrection
11. The Motion Picture

"Dog dung tier"

12. Final Frontier

A very good list except I would switch Motion Picture and First Contact.

Motion Picture is possibly the best one even. It's the only Trek kino.

Scoops

Banned
Wrath of Khan being considered "Legendary Tier" is a bit of a stretch.

It's definitely one of the better Star Trek films, but it hasn't aged well. Ricardo Montalbán's acting is really over the top, and comes off as downright hammy.

Frankly half of the old Trek films are bad. The only decent ones are II, IV, and VI. All of the TNG films were bad, including First Contact which had several plot holes and very lazy writing in general.

The TNG films were so bad that they almost destroyed the franchise.

Nah, Wrath of Khan is one of the best 10 sci fi films ever. It's a 10/10 film to me.

Scoops

Banned
Pretty close to mine, except FC is a tier too high. Can someone explain their love of that one to me?

- The Borg is probably third only to Q and Khan as the most interesting "villains" of all Star Trek canon and this was their climax
- The time travel aspect gives it a cool retro feel
- Big space battle with the Borg at the beginning is fun
- Was the most fleshed out (no pun intended) Data's storyline got
- Well paced, good special effects for the time
- Also, good supporting characters: the female Borg, Zeframe Cochrane and the black girl with Piccard were all great characters. Much more so then say the dull Insurrection support characters

You could argue the story is not particularly deep but it's a really good character display and that's what Star Trek has always been about.

jb1234

Why does the TNG Enterprise have civilians on board btw? That one confused me in Generations, even though I did supplemental on the characters/series before watching the films of the TNG era.

The theory was that officers wouldn't want to go on deep-space missions if they didn't have their families with them. In practice, given the way the Enterprise was routinely threatened, it just came across as inappropriate and cavalier to have them on board.

(That said, it's not like staying home on Earth was much safer.)

- The Borg is probably third only to Q and Khan as the most interesting "villains" of all Star Trek canon and this was their climax
- The time travel aspect gives it a cool retro feel
- Big space battle with the Borg at the beginning is fun
- Was the most fleshed out (no pun intended) Data's storyline got
- Well paced, good special effects for the time
- Also, good supporting characters: the female Borg, Zeframe Cochrane and the black girl with Piccard were all great characters. Much more so then say the dull Insurrection support characters

You could argue the story is not particularly deep but it's a really good character display and that's what Star Trek has always been about.

First contact has some great character moments, but man... i'll be damned if any decision made by any character at any time in that movie makes a lick of sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom