• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Beyond - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sotha_Sil

My list:

"Legendary Tier"

1. Wrath of Khan

"Great Tier"

2. Undiscovered Country
3. First Contact
4. Star Trek (2009)
5. The Voyage Home

"Good/Watchable Tier"

6. Search for Spock
7. Into Darkness

"Should've been an Episode/Meh tier"

8. Nemesis
9. Generations
10. Insurrection
11. The Motion Picture

"Dog dung tier"

12. Final Frontier

Close to me. Here's mine with rankings:

Ultimate Tier
1. Wrath of Khan (10/10)

Solid Tier
2. The Voyage Home (8/10)
3. Undiscovered Country (8/10)
4. First Contact (7/10)

Acceptable
5. ST09 (6.5/10)
6. STID (5/10)

Bad Tier
7. Search for Spock (4/10)
8. Generations (4/10)
9. Insurrection (4/10)

Awful Tier
10. Final Frontier (3/10)
11. Nemesis (1/10)
12. The Motion Picture (1/10)

As for the new movies, i say four are better, six are worse. Voyage Home and Undiscovered woukd have been up with WoK had the acting and technology been better.

I'll go and see Beyond. Can't help but see every bit of Star Trek material, no matter the quality. I'm expecting more mindless sunmer action flick, but I suppose there's room in the franchise for that too. Their success is giving us a new show, and that's great news.

Justin Lin is still doing Space Jam 2? I'd prefer he did Trek 4, but I guess the world is ready for a 90%+ rated Space Jam film.

Cheebo

Banned
I can not comprehend listing TMP last.

Ultimate:
The Wrath of Khan

Great:
The Voyage Home
The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek '09

Good:
First Contact
The Search for Spock
The Motion Picture

Meh:
Generations
Into Darkness

Terrible:
The Final Frontier
Nemesis
Insurrection

Wrath of Khan is one of the only films that's simultaneously better than almost all of its source material and as good as fanboys say it is.

It also has Ricardo Montalban's sweaty chest somehow not stealing every scene it's in in spite of/because of him devouring the scenery.

Not

Banned
OK, now I can't wait for this. Have to wait a couple of weeks before I can afford a discounted ticket (same with Ghostbusters) but I'll be there in a couple of weeks to add my two cents.

Schlorgan

eWZgqes.gif

Really happy with these reviews. I can't wait to see it Saturday.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wrath of Khan is one of the only films that's simultaneously better than almost all of its source material and as good as fanboys say it is.

It also has Ricardo Montalban's sweaty chest somehow not stealing every scene it's in in spite of/because of him devouring the scenery.

it's pretty much watchable even if you don't have ST background, and can stand on its own and is really good

BouncyFrag

Looks solid, but I will be pissed if Karl Urban's impeccable Dr. McCoy is underused again as it was in the last movie. These three together are at the very core of what Star Trek means to me.

Spock: I've lost a brother.
Kirk: Yes. I lost a brother once. I was lucky I got him back?
McCoy: I thought you said men like us don't have families.
Kirk: I was wrong.

camp.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Looks solid, but I will be pissed if Karl Urban's impeccable Dr. McCoy is underused again as it was in the last movie. These three together are at the very core of what Star Trek means to me.

Spock: I've lost a brother.
Kirk: Yes. I lost a brother once. I was lucky I got him back?
McCoy: I thought you said men like us don't have families.
Kirk: I was wrong.

camp.jpg
As I've said, it's basically this moment that makes the terribleness of V worth it. There really isn't any equivalent in the TNG movies outside of All Good Things, and I don't get that Spock and Kirk really care about each other in the new movies other than they are supposed to be best friends for "reasons".

zoukka

Movie is so fucking overhyped. Like probably the most oberhyped movie of all time. No way it approaches the quality of the TOS episodes, it's slow, dumb, predictable and the "kirk is old" angle has zero weight to it.

Can't believe this movie is beloved, I guess it's the memes.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
First Contact is held together by Patrick Stewart and Alfre Woodard. It probably set up or at least cemented the decline of the Borg from the inhuman machine-drones that only care about technology in TNG to the pitiful, spiteful, boneheaded villains of Voyager, but eh.

SilentRob

So I just saw it yesterday and it's pretty much exactly what the first two movies were. It's loud, stupid, funny and entertaining as hell (yup, I still really like Into Darkness. Quite a few people do, actually). There's also one exact moment were old Star Trek Fans will probably want to throw their Popcorn at the screen and punch Simon Pegg and Doug Jung in the face. You'd probably despise this movie if you really are a Trekkie. I'm not and I have to say, I really enjoyed it.

Jarmel

Banned
So I just saw it yesterday and it's pretty much exactly what the first two movies were. It's loud, stupid, funny and entertaining as hell (yup, I still really like Into Darkness. Quite a few people do, actually). There's also one exact moment were old Star Trek Fans will probably want to throw their Popcorn at the screen and punch Simon Pegg and Doug Jung in the face. You'd probably despise this movie if you really are a Trekkie. I'm not and I have to say, I really enjoyed it.

But is it better than Into Darkness?

SilentRob

But is it better than Into Darkness?

I realize this is probably a sarcastic question but honestly, not for me, no. I love Benedict Cumberbatch and thought he had an amazing presence in Into Darkness. As someone with no direct contact to anything Star Trek I also found that moment with Spock really, really great. I have no emotional connection to Wrath of Khan and I totally get why you'd think otherwise if you do, but for me it worked perfectly.

Into Darkness felt a little more..."necessary"? It had a very specific story to tell and I realize that many here hate it, but it had a specific goal in mind, somewhere it wanted to get to and it did. Beyond is just very detached from everything - it's a fun adventure on an alien planet and then it's over and at no point did they really try to do anything...special? Again, that's completely fine and I had a lot of fun with this innocent adventure! But Into Darkness felt a little more substantial to me. I remember scenes from that movie. I'll probably forget about anything that happened in Beyond in about a week.

Yarbskoo

Oh boy, tier lists!

GOD TIER

Star Trek 09

HIGH TIER

The Wrath of Khan
The Voyage Home
The Undiscovered Country
Into Darkness

MID TIER

Star Trek III - The Search for Spock

WAKE ME UP WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS TIER

The Motion Picture

KILL ME TIER

The Final Frontier

For context, Star Trek 09 was my first real Star Trek experience, and since then I've seen the above films and all of the TV series up through the beginning of DS9 Season 3. I don't really think the reboot does a good job of capturing the best of what Star Trek was, but I think it's the most successful I've seen so far at being an entertaining film.

After I finish DS9 I'll watch Generations. Not exactly looking forward to it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, Riker basically played Space Invaders? And I assume the joystick was never seen again?

To be fair, there has only been one movie after 9, no more episodes, where the stick could have even shown up again. Surprised about the 9 hate here, because I feel 9 captures the essence of Star Trek best out of all Star Trek movies.

I hated Star Trek but loved Into darkness (mostly because of Khan).
I don't like Star Trek being too action packed and The Enterprise could tank dozen of hit without feeling a thing.

Kimaka

As I've said, it's basically this moment that makes the terribleness of V worth it. There really isn't any equivalent in the TNG movies outside of All Good Things, and I don't get that Spock and Kirk really care about each other in the new movies other than they are supposed to be best friends for "reasons".

The new movies are relying too much on TOS relationships rather than developing the new ones which made Spock freaking out over Kirk's death feel unearned. TOS Kirk and Spock were close friends (McCoy too which the new movies keep forgetting), but that took decades to develop. Spock may be more emotional than TOS Spock, but I don't buy him losing his shit over someone he treats nothing more than a work friend.

I have a weird affection for Star Trek V. The movie is surely terrible, but there are a few scenes that are some of the best of Trek IMO. The campfire scene and when Sybok is showing Bones' father dying etc.

SpaceHorror

I'm happy this is getting positive reviews.

I was worried after the trailers. I might even go see it this weekend.

I just hope it finally makes the Kirk/Spock friendship feel more believable rather than just "they have to be friends because it's Star Trek."

Sephzilla

Here's mine

S Tier
1- Wrath of Khan
2- Undiscovered Country

A Tier
3- First Contact
4- Star Trek 2009

B Tier
5- Generations
6- Into Darkness

C Tier
7- Final Frontier
8- Search for Spock

D Tier
9- Motion Picture
10- Voyage Home
11- Insurrection

F Tier
12- Nemesis

That's 5 minutes tops of 106 minute movie.

Everything bad has something good in it, but it doesn't save Final Frontier from holding onto the bottom of the pile.

I realize this is probably a sarcastic question but honestly, not for me, no. I love Benedict Cumberbatch and thought he had an amazing presence in Into Darkness. As someone with no direct contact to anything Star Trek I also found that moment with Spock really, really great. I have no emotional connection to Wrath of Khan and I totally get why you'd think otherwise if you do, but for me it worked perfectly.

Into Darkness felt a little more..."necessary"? It had a very specific story to tell and I realize that many here hate it, but it had a specific goal in mind, somewhere it wanted to get to and it did. Beyond is just very detached from everything - it's a fun adventure on an alien planet and then it's over and at no point did they really try to do anything...special? Again, that's completely fine and I had a lot of fun with this innocent adventure! But Into Darkness felt a little more substantial to me. I remember scenes from that movie. I'll probably forget about anything that happened in Beyond in about a week.

Sounds like it's the Kelvin Timeline's Insurrection.

Sephzilla

I like a lot of the ideas that go into Star Trek V and I like Kirk playing the cynical guy among everyone else who's marveled by the idea of meeting their maker.

seven_kirk_07.jpg

Um, excuse me?

Kirk straight up questioning "God" is fucking great. Trek V (along with the first movie and Generations) would have made excellent TV show episodes

SpaceHorror

Guest I'll post my list, too:

Great:

Wrath of Khan
Undiscovered Country

Good:

Star Trek '09

Ok but I like them:

Voyage Home
Into Darkness
First Contact
The Motion Picture

Not too good:

Final Frontier
Generations
Search for Spock

Bad:

Insurrection

Fucking Awful:

Nemesis

Not sure if it's important, but I've been a big Trekkie since a kid. Treasured my TNG action figures as much as my Star Wars ones and bored my younger brother to death with TOS reruns. And to be fair, I have a lot of nostalgia with Final Frontier. I watched it a lot as a kid and enjoyed it. It doesn't hold up for me as an adult, but I'll always have a fondness for it. I also really need to rewatch Search for Spock and Generations. Haven't seen either in over ten yeas.

While we're ranking stuff can we all agree that Star Trek 2009 is the GOAT star trek theme? Its so fucking good and catchy. The soundtrack in that movie was probably part of the reason it was a big success.

SpaceHorror

While we're ranking stuff can we all agree that Star Trek 2009 is the GOAT star trek theme? Its so fucking good and catchy. The soundtrack in that movie was probably part of the reason it was a big success.

I still prefer the TNG theme, but man I would be lying if I said I didn't still get chills when the '09 theme plays during the Enterprise reveal.

Sephzilla

Trek 09's theme is fucking great but I can't get over the Goldsmith theme

I still prefer the TNG theme, but man I would be lying if I said I didn't still get chills when the '09 theme plays during the Enterprise reveal.

The Enterprise reveal in Trek 09 was executed flawlessly

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's 5 minutes tops of 106 minute movie.

Everything bad has something good in it, but it doesn't save Final Frontier from holding onto the bottom of the pile.
That's 5 minutes more than you can find in any of the TNG movies though. :p
I only have a soft spot for Insurrection because of Michael Pillar and the insane story leading up to its creation, but I know it's as bad as the others.

The new movies are relying too much on TOS relationships rather than developing the new ones which made Spock freaking out over Kirk's death feel unearned. TOS Kirk and Spock were close friends (McCoy too which the new movies keep forgetting), but that took decades to develop. Spock may be more emotional than TOS Spock, but I don't buy him losing his shit over someone he treats nothing more than a work friend.
Work friends - that's what it basically feels like, particularly since you don't really see their relationship develop. I mean in the first movie you basically have to have Nimoy tell Quinto that Kirk is supposed to be his best friend in order to establish that they're best friends.

Timu

Rotten tomatoes Critics Consensus is up:

Star Trek Beyond continues the franchise's post-reboot hot streak with an epic sci-fi adventure that honors the series' sci-fi roots without skimping on the blockbuster action.

Rotten tomatoes Critics Consensus is up:

Star Trek Beyond continues the franchise's post-reboot hot streak with an epic sci-fi adventure that honors the series' sci-fi roots without skimping on the blockbuster action.

Here it is from that site: Star Trek Beyond continues the franchise's post-reboot hot streak with an epic sci-fi adventure that honors the series' sci-fi roots without skimping on the blockbuster action.

Thank you again, Timu. It's been added to the OP.

OmegaFax

I like a lot of the ideas that go into Star Trek V and I like Kirk playing the cynical guy among everyone else who's marveled by the idea of meeting their maker.

seven_kirk_07.jpg

Um, excuse me?

Kirk straight up questioning "God" is fucking great. Trek V (along with the first movie and Generations) would have made excellent TV show episodes

He basically photon torpedo'd "God" from orbit after shit went south.

I'm pleasantly surprised about the reviews. With how quiet things were and the reshoots and rewrites, I was afraid it was going to be a cobbled together mess.

Was going to watch it regardless, but nice to see it's getting some good praise.

Can't wait till Friday night.

-griffy-

Banned
Consensus:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom