• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery vs The Mandalorian

Which is the better show?

• I like science.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is the Way.

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters

GreyHorace

So we recently had a thread about which was the better franchise, Star Wars or Star Trek? I'm not here to answer which one is better overall, but thinking about it made me realize that for the first time in both series' history they have dueling TV shows. Thanks to Disney, George Lucas' fantasy space opera is now competing with Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future.

But which one is better?

One show features a cast even more diverse than the original. I heard they even have gay people!

star-trek-discovery-season-2-release-date-cast-news.jpg

The other has an adorable space baby.

the-mandalorian-baby-yoda-the-child-identity-species-disney-plus.jpg

People who've read my posts know how I feel about the latter. The Mandalorian is AWESOME. For me it's the best Star Wars media since Return of the Jedi (though I keep hearing from people Clone Wars is also good. I really need to watch it). It's not perfect, but it's still great enough for me that I'm looking forward to the next season. I haven't been hyped for a TV series like this since Doctor Who relaunched back in 2005.

I've not watched Star Trek Discovery, though my brother says it's good (he's a bigger Trekkie fan than me). But he and I have different ideas of what constitutes as 'good.' All I know of Discovery comes from Red Letter Media's hilarious reviews of both seasons (they actually liked The Mandalorian. Shocking!).

Yeah. Both of these convinced me not to give Discovery my time. But what about you GAF? Which show is the better for you? I'd really like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Fbh

I'm in the minority but I like Discovery.
It's sort of like Lost in Space from Netflix, nothing particularly great but it's enjoyable and has some nice production values. From my understanding one of the main issue people have with is how it messes with the world and lore of Star Trek and how it doesn't feel like a Star Trek show, but since I've never been into the franchise I can't say I care. The wokeness is eye rolling but it could be worse.

Mandalorian was great too. Definitely the best thing to come out of Star Wars since it went Disney.
But much like Discovery though, I think it's fun but nothing special.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Discovery was interesting at the start, it was nicely done. But killed off the main captian that carried the whole crew really in favor for our sjw crew and sjw story lines which season 2 went hard in on.

I watched a few episodes of season 2 and dropped it directly is straight up trash.

Mandalorian is on another level entirely, its really likeable not try hard and solid cast with decent story. I can't wait for season 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom