• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Is Better Than Star Wars!

Which is superior?

• ST > SW

Votes: 56 83.6%
  • SW < ST

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters

*Nightwing

f3n6Tlp.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont care for either series but, there needs to be an Other! :)

ST Wrath of Khan 1982 > SW original trilogy > ST recent movies > SW recent movies > old ST movies not Khan > any SW or ST TV show

Pagusas

Elden Member
I enjoy both. I like Star Trek better. But I feel both are in bad places right now. At least Star Wars seems like its trying to course correct with its TV shows. Trek feels like its still completely lost and at the furthest point it could be from the glory day's of TNG/DS9.

StormCell

aw hell no, sw is obviously superior in mainstream pop culture. no contest

I'm the guy who is like why not both?

But then I get that they appeal to me in different ways.

Star Trek likes to cause viewers to think. The problem for Star Trek, IMO, is that it has run out of new things to do.

Star Wars is certainly more philosophical and spiritual. It never really challenges you to think too hard. The problem it faces is political.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Your pick of SW or ST can be summed as follows depending on what you prefer:

SW: Light saber battles and laser gun fights
ST: Tricorder phaser beam

SW: Half the people are rebels, live on dirt planets and scrape by
ST: Computer: Make me a steak dinner

Easily Star Wars, for me. They're fun movies and I like the universe more.

My favorite Star Wars movies:
  • A New Hope
  • The Empire Strikes Back
  • Return of the Jedi
  • Rogue One
  • Solo
My favorite Star Trek movies:
  • Star Trek (2009)
  • Star Trek Into Darkness

Shai-Tan

Banned
I've always disliked Star Wars. The original three are ok. However, I only really like ST: TNG for Star Trek (well, the good episodes, and maybe a bit of Deep Space Nine... and The Orville because it's a TNG copycat). Have only found everything else mildly good.

edit: and the recent Star Trek movies are all awful in my opinion. only slightly less awful than the last few Star Wars movies

Last edited:

Rat Rage

If I remember correctly, I think I like all 6 Star Trek movies. I didn't watch much of the original series, but the movies... are excellent.

IMHO the Star Wars universe only has 4 great films: The first 3 + Solo.

MisterHero

This. The franchises are playing entirely different ball games. People only compare them because they're nerdd and both start with the word "Star"
You are mostly right but IMO that changed when Trek came to film. The TOS films at least and the original trilogy are directly comparable. Star Wars just had better SFX direction at the time.

The Motion Picture's really grown on me.

Personally I just can't get into the older Star Trek movies. Insurrection and Nemesis were pretty forgettable too. But I remember seeing Star Trek (2009) when it came out and thought it was great. Star Trek Into Darkness was also good but I didn't like Star Trek Beyond.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Something we can agree on!

Both franchises are now effectively dead, and have been absolutely worthless for decades -- but measured in their prime, Star Trek (TOS; TNG; DS9) has so much more to offer than Star Wars (IV-V-VI). Star Wars is basically a fluke when Lucas's rehashed mixture of pulp genres and mythologies suddenly hit gold and coalesced into more than the sum of their parts, but Star Trek is a franchise absolutely filled with ideas, questions, ethical explorations, etc.

The one nice thing I'll say about Star Wars in this comparison is that it generally had a much better expanded universe in mediums like gaming.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Something we can agree on!

Both franchises are now effectively dead, and have been absolutely worthless for decades -- but measured in their prime, Star Trek (TOS; TNG; DS9) has so much more to offer than Star Wars (IV-V-VI). Star Wars is basically a fluke when Lucas's rehashed mixture of pulp genres and mythologies suddenly hit gold and coalesced into more than the sum of their parts, but Star Trek is a franchise absolutely filled with ideas, questions, ethical explorations, etc.

The one nice thing I'll say about Star Wars in this comparison is that it generally had a much better expanded universe in mediums like gaming.

yep. though things like the Mandalorian give Star Wars a glimmer of hope for the future, if they can keep consistent with it and not let the films bog it down. Star Trek sadly has no such glimmer at the moment, which kills me. Discovery is litterally one of the worst things ever made. The new series with Pike and Spock looks like a parody of what Trek should be. Picard ruined something I thought couldnt be ruined: the return of Picard and Data. Like.. just wow, Trek is in bad need of new leadership. How do you go from 3 dominate tv shows to complete trash for decades?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
yep. though things like the Mandalorian give Star Wars a glimmer of hope for the future, if they can keep consistent with it and not let the films bog it down. Star Trek sadly has no such glimmer at the moment, which kills me. Discovery is litterally one of the worst things ever made. The new series with Pike and Spock looks like a parody of what Trek should be. Picard ruined something I thought couldnt be ruined: the return of Picard and Data. Like.. just wow, Trek is in bad need of new leadership. How do you go from 3 dominate tv shows to complete trash for decades?

I grew so bored of Star Wars--and annoyed at Baby Yoda memes & merch--that I didn't even watch the Mandalorian, but I appreciate what I've heard about it trying to be a more authentic return to the franchise's former style.

It's absolutely true that Trek doesn't have that... it has nothing left. As you said, Discovery / Picard are so bad that they lead me to despise even the actors I once appreciated (Patrick Stewart has lost all ability to act; having Frakes as director is meaningless, he's a worthless corporate shill now; Brent Spiner just wanted to come back and ham it up, what a washed up joke).

Blond

Banned
Is Patrick Stewart going to live long enough to even finish Picard? He could keep being Deputy Director Bullock and I’d be happy

Meicyn

Gold Member
Measure of a Man is a Star Trek episode covering the legal rights of an artificial sentient being, a topic humanity will have to truly address outside of a science fiction show someday in our future. It’s standout content like that which elevates Star Trek far above Star Wars for me.

Measure of a Man is a Star Trek episode covering the legal rights of an artificial sentient being, a topic humanity will have to truly address outside of a science fiction show someday in our future. It’s standout content like that which elevates Star Trek far above Star Wars for me.
Yeah... but.... do they fly now?!?!? Because stormtroopers fly now!!!! THEY FLY NOW!!!!!!

Pagusas

Elden Member
Star Trek is for nerds. Star Wars is for nerds who have ugly nerd wives.

can confirm, know many ugly Star Wars fan wives there are And for some reason they always think they look good in gold bikinis. Just shows Star Wars fans have low standards.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Star Trek is for nerds. Star Wars is for nerds who have ugly nerd wives.
can also confirm as a Trek fan with a hot wife

I mean, Wars fans post memes about Yoda and play with miniatures on tables, but Trek fans are just productive nerds with solid careers who like to debate weird ethical dilemmas and keep a copy of this classic on their shelf:

Which one of the above will end up with a hotter wife? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

This only makes me recognize that the portrayal of Kirk on these newer movies was okay, but that Spock is absolutely garbage.What a winy effeminate voice he has, when you see it coming out of the real Nimoy's face.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Yeah, definitely is, I mean, TNG alone is... Those court case episodes alone... Look, Star Wars was fantastic but it was different beast to ST and ST offered up a greater number of great moments, even if they were inferior to those of SW.

SinDelta

If Star Trek did not have the godawful Discovery and Picard in existence, and Star Wars did not have Rebels and the Mandalorian I would give the edge to Star Trek. Alas I had more fun watching both Rebels and the Mandalorian then anything from those two shows.

I do think Star Trek 2009 and Beyond are both better then any of the sequel trilogy, even with their flaws. Into Darkness can burn in a dumpster fire along with the Last Jedi though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom