• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek (January 2017 TV Series) News and Speculation Thread of Boldly Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
It's actually airing on TV in Canada. CTV gets the premiere and Space gets the rest of the season. Then it goes on CraveTV.

http://www.startrek.com/article/international-broadcasters-set-for-new-star-trek-series

The Bell Media rollout for the new Star Trek series in Canada will mirror the launch in the United States. The first episode will premiere on Canada’s most-watched broadcast network, CTV, on the same night as CBS. All remaining episodes will initially be televised on Bell Media’s cable networks, Space (in English) and Z (in French), and then later exclusively on CraveTV, Bell Media’s streaming video-on-demand service. The Star Trek television library will return to Space (in English) and debut on Cinépop (in French), and will also be found among CraveTV’s leading lineup of premium television series.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
hype deflated if show's set in the freaking past. Was hoping for a bold move, like 300 years post TNG which would have been a feeash start, yet...meh

hope it's not true. Goddamnit

Juice

hype deflated if show's set in the freaking past. Was hoping for a bold move, like 300 years post TNG which would have been a feeash start, yet...meh

hope it's not true. Goddamnit

Literally anything post-TNG is going to be 99% time travel plots. They only gave themselves another hundred years beyond DS9 or so before Enterprise declared the whole time travel thing would be a crazy mess.

Yeah or naw? Made a couple tweaks.

Mine:
VVSTVXF.png

The original:

Literally anything post-TNG is going to be 99% time travel plots. They only gave themselves another hundred years beyond DS9 or so before Enterprise declared the whole time travel thing would be a crazy mess.

Though they could have had some sort of intergalactic disaster or something that set technology back a lot or something. A show where remnants of the federation are out scavenging for tech or re-exploring destroyed quadrants of the galaxy would be pretty rad.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yeah or naw?

VVSTVXF.png

Nayyyyyyyy. That saucer section is horrible, the angles are gross, the color is ok but not with way they lit it. It looks way to flat, blocky and cheap.

It's like the worst of original Star Trek design all crusher together into a 90's cg render. All of the amazing designs from the motion picture on are lost.

I say yeah. It's a little blocky, but not in a bad way? I can dig it.

Nayyyyyyyy. That saucer section is horrible, the angles are gross, the color is ok but not with way they lit it. It looks way to flat, blocky and cheap.

It's like the worst of original Star Trek design all crusher together into a 90's cg render. All of the amazing designs from the motion picture on are lost.

Sorry dudes...should have been more clear. I made a couple tweaks in that image.

THIS is the actual design from the teaser, and if you dont like blocky I've got bad news. It's even more blocky.

It seems what they're going for is crossing this old concept with the USS Kelvin. Due to their inspirations and the time period I imagine the bridge will be in this style.

Sorry dudes...should have been more clear. I made a couple tweaks in that image.

THIS is the actual design, and if you dont like blocky I've got bad news. It's even more blocky.

It seems what they're going for is crossing this old concept with the USS Kelvin.

Ahhhh right. First time I got a good look at it, thought it was the original, lol.

Then, in that case, keeping in mind that I've never been particularly fond of Trek designs (they've got neither practicality nor Rule of Cool going for them, imo), I think your version is mostly better, other than the front of the nascelles; I get what you were going for with the rounded front, but frankly, since the rest of the thing is nothing but flat surfaces, they kinda sticks out.

But the actual thing isn't half bad either, imo/

Fuchsdh

THIS is the actual design, and if you dont like blocky I've got bad news. It's even more blocky.

It seems what they're going for is crossing this old concept with the USS Kelvin. Due to their inspirations and the time period I imagine the bridge will be in this style.

Yeah, but the rounded nacelles still work better in keeping with the look of all similar ships we've seen.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Then, in that case, keeping in mind that I've never been particularly fond of Trek designs (they've got neither practicality nor Rule of Cool going for them, imo)

Aw man I honestly love Star Trek ship designs, they are some of my favorite in sci-fi. The Enterprise 1701-A from the original movies is sexy, sleek, and graceful looking, yet functional looking too. And the original 1701 from the TOS is great too. One of my favorite aspects to the old series is that the ship doesn’t feel like a “super ship”, it shakes and makes noises when they push it, and it’s can’t always techno babble it’s way out of a situation. That’s something that later Trek series got wrong, the ships started to feel too advanced and powerful to the point of taking drama out of stories that should have been more tense.

I’ve always kinda hoped they would do a new series that takes place on a small inconsequential ship in Starfleet, like a small exploration frigate or something, a ship that isn’t anything close to the flagship, nor with a crew who is the best at what they do. Something more character driven but where they can easily be challenged not only by their own limitations but also by the very common and ordinary ship they serve on too. I think that would be more interesting than an exceptional crew on the best ship in the fleet setup, but oh well.

Falchion

Really interested to see what the cast will look like and what direction it's taking. I like the Abrams movies but never watched the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom