• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Picard |OT| The Next, Next, Next Generation

MMaRsu

Banned
A lot of youtube shit thrives on negativity so ofcourse they want to say it sucked

more clicks that way

ManaByte

Gold Member
But isn't that contradicting what Stewart said?

I mean he's saying the show is "taking on Trump and Brexit"

The dude is almost 80. He can say whatever he wants to a liberal reporter to get them to watch the show. There's nothing about Trump or Brexit in it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
His age makes it okay yet he's good enough to still work?

Uh ok.

Multiple people in this thread have said it's not anti-Trump, but you watch one YouTube video from someone who didn't even watch the whole episode and believe them over people in this thread who have actually watched it.

badblue

“Picard,” he notes, is “me responding to the world of Brexit and Trump and feeling, ‘Why hasn’t the federation changed? Why hasn’t Starfleet changed? Maybe they’re not as reliable and trustworthy as we all thought.”

This doesn't tell you how those things are applied in the show. Social-politcal unrest, corrupt figures in power and people being unjustly persecuted are not new things for Star Trek to deal with.

ManaByte

Gold Member
This doesn't tell you how those things are applied in the show. Social-politcal unrest, corrupt figures in power and people being unjustly persecuted are not new things for Star Trek to deal with.

But the "true fans" on YouTube claim it is.

Multiple people in this thread have said it's not anti-Trump, but you watch one YouTube video from someone who didn't even watch the whole episode and believe them over people in this thread who have actually watched it.
Agree she should have watched the whole episode before forming an opinion.

Just stating that Stewart himself pretty much echoed her opinion though. Age has nothing to do with this.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

So the Trump thing: Picard does take a stance against isolationism, against xenophobia and for compassion for people in need of help. This is probably in part inspired but current political developments and closer aligning with the left-wing view on such issues than the Trump or Brexiteer view on such things. But it is not hamfisted "Trump is bad" or anything. It is thoughtful, well-conveyed and absolutely in line with what Star Trek has always been.

Reactions: Fuz
So the Trump thing: Picard does take a stance against isolationism, against xenophobia and for compassion for people in need of help. This is probably in part inspired but current political developments and closer aligning with the left-wing view on such issues than the Trump or Brexiteer view on such things. But it is not hamfisted "Trump is bad" or anything. It is thoughtful, well-conveyed and absolutely in line with what Star Trek has always been.
That's good to hear.

I suppose he shouldn't have "mouthed off" as you said in the way he did, creating more divide.

I just hope it's better than STD. Politics wasn't my concern at all with that - it was just a lousy show from at least the first season I saw.

badblue

But the "true fans" on YouTube claim it is.

And people on youtube never ever use click-bait or try to stir controversy for views?

If no one ever mentioned Trump or Brexit no one would see any of that in the first episode of the show.

And people on youtube never ever use click-bait or try to stir controversy for views?

If no one ever mentioned Trump or Brexit no one would see any of that in the first episode of the show.
She's more than likely a real fan. A bit outragey? Perhaps. It's her opinion though and I think she legitimately believes what she's saying. My only issue with it is she should have at least watched the episode in full. It's like those journos who play one hour of Death Stranding and yelling "it stinks!"

I suffered through the entirety of Batman v Superman. It did something far worse than shove politics down my gullet - it was a fucking bore.

Ok so I was guilty of turning off Ghostbustets 2016 half way through....

ManaByte

Gold Member
She's more than likely a real fan. A bit outragey? Perhaps. It's her opinion though and I think she legitimately believes what she's saying. My only issue with it is she should have at least watched the episode in full. It's like those journos who play one hour of Death Stranding and yelling "it stinks!"

I suffered through the entirety of Batman v Superman. It did something far worse than shove politics down my gullet - it was a fucking bore.

Ok so I was guilty of turning off Ghostbustets 2016 half way through....

She's part of Midnight Edge which is one of those YouTube channels that badblue is referring to.

Yoshi

That's good to hear.

I suppose he shouldn't have "mouthed off" as you said in the way he did, creating more divide.

I just hope it's better than STD. Politics wasn't my concern at all with that - it was just a lousy show from at least the first season I saw.
I hate Star Trek Discovery and had low expectations for Star Trek Picard as a consequence. My expectations were blown out of the water though. It is Star Trek in 2020, not action science fiction with Star Trek window dressing.

Ironbunny

I wholeheartedly enjoyed the pilot. A bit too much of hurry with everything but all in all seemed great. You could see the RL politics tied in a few scenes but those were done right. So far this isnt another discovery.

nikolino840

This review is total bullshit. Too political, too much talking about ethics... has she ever watched Next Generation? And yes, it does show that she has only watched a small part of the episode, because one character she criticises particularly strongly for being overpowered, well...
dies

This was such a low effort jab with no substance at all.

i haven't see the video...She talk about the android girl? Well...data himself Is overpowered,She never seen next generation 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

MetalAlien

Banned
I mean NG talked about political stuff all the time but that was the 80s and 90s when sanity was more wide spread. Shit these days just avoid it all together! I will wait until people in real life start bugging me to watch... that's my measure for if it's worth my time anymore.

VertigoOA

Banned
I caved and subscribed to all access just for this. I intend to rewatch Next Generation as well. Good to see that all the series are on there. Man, I remember watching the last episode with my pops when it originally aired.

Don’t put much thought into the politics nonsense people are talking about; it nots there like the internet claims it to be. Well not yet.

I enjoyed it. It pulled on my heart strings a bit and I’m highly anticipating next episode. I’m in.

Number one, Engage!
:messenger_spock:

Last edited:

Yoshi

i haven't see the video...She talk about the android girl? Well...data himself Is overpowered,She never seen next generation 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes, she is. And yes, he was.
I mean NG talked about political stuff all the time but that was the 80s and 90s when sanity was more wide spread. Shit these days just avoid it all together! I will wait until people in real life start bugging me to watch... that's my measure for if it's worth my time anymore.
So far there has not been a single metal alien in the series anyway, I will inform you when that changes.

scalman

very good first episode. nice starting for series, not slow at all, full of action . But best is just awaits with all those space scenes , fighting... will be great

Shantae

Banned
I'm someone who has been very very very VERY unhappy with Star Trek for a long time. I haven't bothered with Discovery because it sounds so god awful from the Red Letter Media videos I've watched on it, that it didn't sound worth my time.

That being said, I decided to watch this first episode of Picard because it is Patrick Stewart and I wanted to see how it turned out. I did only watch it once, but I do feel like it was decent. It's not perfect by any means, and like with Nemesis before, it's annoying when they talk about Androids and never seem to remember that Lore existed, but besides that I enjoyed the set up. I also liked why Picard left Starfleet, it was a believable reason. So far I'm engaged (no pun intended), and I'm interested to see where it goes from here.

I just wanted to point out though that this is a big step for me, because I'm an old Trekkie from way back. Loved TOS, and TNG, but never really cared for DS9, only a few episodes of VOY were alright to me, and ENT was garbage to me also. All the TNG movies were also kinda terrible to me as well, so to watch something that was decent again was nice. I'm still anticipating being disappointed by the rest of the season though.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm someone who has been very very very VERY unhappy with Star Trek for a long time. I haven't bothered with Discovery because it sounds so god awful from the Red Letter Media videos I've watched on it, that it didn't sound worth my time.

That being said, I decided to watch this first episode of Picard because it is Patrick Stewart and I wanted to see how it turned out. I did only watch it once, but I do feel like it was decent. It's not perfect by any means, and like with Nemesis before, it's annoying when they talk about Androids and never seem to remember that Lore existed, but besides that I enjoyed the set up. I also liked why Picard left Starfleet, it was a believable reason. So far I'm engaged (no pun intended), and I'm interested to see where it goes from here.

I just wanted to point out though that this is a big step for me, because I'm an old Trekkie from way back. Loved TOS, and TNG, but never really cared for DS9, only a few episodes of VOY were alright to me, and ENT was garbage to me also. All the TNG movies were also kinda terrible to me as well, so to watch something that was decent again was nice. I'm still anticipating being disappointed by the rest of the season though.

Season 1 of Discovery is absolute dog shit trying to be as edgy as possible.

Season 2 makes you want an entire Captain Pike show.

Season 3 will be set almost 1,000 years in the future when the Federation only has six planets so it'll be interesting to see the state of the galaxy then.

eot

Banned
The first episode was enough to make me want to keep watching, and that's enough. Old Brent Spiner felt weird to me because he's an android, but what can you do, he was still recognizable.

jwj442

Red Letter Media's review is pretty bad. Their insistence that Picard and Data weren't friends is bizarre, especially when they're ranting about how the writers clearly know nothing about Trek. Picard and Data frequently have conversations about philosophy or culture throughout the show. And Data, you know, died to save Picard as he directly references in Ep1.

Many of the clips they use to "prove" this are either out of context (did I see Lore in there?) or from the frequently-awful early phase of TNG, where Picard was actually pretty hard to like.

While the show is taking some influence from contemporary real-world politics, Trek has always done this to a degree and at least so far it doesn't feel too heavy-handed or directly allegorical. This is far away from "Make the Empire Glorious Again."

Last edited:

Yoshi

Red Letter Media's review is pretty bad. Their insistence that Picard and Data weren't friends is bizarre, especially when they're ranting about how the writers clearly know nothing about Trek. Picard and Data frequently have conversations about philosophy or culture throughout the show. And Data, you know, died to save Picard as he directly references in S1.
Also, Picard saved Data in one of the best Star Trek episodes ever and one of the most remarkable Data-episodes, The Measure of a Man. Picard and Data certainly were friends and, more importantly, for STP, deeply respected each other.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Red Letter Media's review is pretty bad. Their insistence that Picard and Data weren't friends is bizarre, especially when they're ranting about how the writers clearly know nothing about Trek. Picard and Data frequently have conversations about philosophy or culture throughout the show. And Data, you know, died to save Picard as he directly references in Ep1.

Many of the clips they use to "prove" this are either out of context (did I see Lore in there?) or from the frequently-awful early phase of TNG, where Picard was actually pretty hard to like.

While the show is taking some influence from contemporary real-world politics, Trek has always done this to a degree and at least so far it doesn't feel too heavy-handed or directly allegorical. This is far away from "Make the Empire Glorious Again."

The Picard-Data friendship is one of the highlights of TNG and is proof those idiots don't know what they're ranting about. Throughout the series Picard took great joy in teaching Data about humanity and mentored Data in Shakespeare. Anyone who claims Data and Picard weren't friends has no fucking business trashing the show like that. Fuck them.

Last edited:

Oberstein

They exaggerate a bit on the Data-Picard relationship, but there are some good points (the shipyard on Mars for example).
After that it's interesting as a point of view because they find the right clip in the blink of an eye among the catalogue of 178 episodes.
Their mistake is to stop at TNG and not consider DS9. There's a before and after "Dominion War", it really turned the Federation upside down.

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog
My thoughts:

1. Data's importance to Picard seems in line with Next Generation.
2. It was not woke or lefty preachy.
3. They relied too much on cameos from Next Generation.
4. It was decent, can see it being way better than the horrible Discovery.
5. The romulan? companions to Picard didn't seem Romulan at all. Just a pet peeve of mine when sci-fi shows turn all the "good" aliens into the stereotype of a nice human. Star Trek never really had alien aliens, but still I liked how DS9 handled it where the good aliens still had cultural and behavioral quirks.

GreyHorace

Been anticipating this

Mike and Rich give us.....

re:View - Picard

“The writers know as much about Star Wars as Jay does.” Basically calling them Casuals

I thought the episode was okay, but there were things about it that I disliked that I couldn't explain. Mike and Rich do a good job breaking down all the flaws that only diehard TNG fans would identify. They were right about these new Trek series written by people who only have a surface level understanding of the franchise like Jay.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I thought the episode was okay, but there were things about it that I disliked that I couldn't explain. Mike and Rich do a good job breaking down all the flaws that only diehard TNG fans would identify. They were right about these new Trek series written by people who only have a surface level understanding of the franchise like Jay.

The DISCO S3 show runners are HUGE DS9 fans. Which is probably why one of the places the season goes is Trill.

Erdrick

Quite enjoyed the first episode of Picard. Has me engaged based on the ending for sure, but as soon as Picard took control of that interview, I was like "He's still got it." It's so nice seeing the an actual continuation from Next Gen and Nemesis. Cautiously optimistic on this one thus far...

Stouffers

Banned
I like RLM, but they are pretty far off base with their Picard review. They also say at the beginning that Picard takes place in the JJ universe which is.. yeah. They went in wanting to hate it and because of that are inventing reasons to justify their position. The first episode has a few holes and there are a few things that have me worried, but Mike and Jay are really reaching with a lot of their points.

RLM - Jay's knowledge equals what the writers know was great.

Love the juxtaposition against TNG. Blatantly shows how Trek characterization has changed.

Lincoln scene comparison is a great example.

I liked the RLM review, and it was in line what I thought about the first episode of Picard.

I never felt that connection or Picard to Data was that big to warrant those slightly rose tinted dreams he had about him.

Shantae

Banned
I usually am very much behind what RLM has to say, but I dunno...I'm just starting to really feel that all youtube review media has affected my enjoyment of everything in a very negative way. I watched the episode of Picard before I watched any critique of it, and I came away with it thinking it was serviceable. A better effort than anything Star Trek related in a long time, while also thinking it can still end up sucking as the season continues. Afterwards, I started to watch some critiques of it like the RLM video, among others...and it's all so nitpicky. I love to pick some nits, I'm the king of it sometimes, but I started to feel like maybe it's going too far. Or maybe it's not that it's going too far, but youtube is really just not good for consumption long term. So many personalities have channels based on just bitching about things negatively, and I'm starting to grow tired of it. Maybe not RLM as much, because I do find them just funny, but a lot of other channels out there...it's getting to be a bit much.

I'm starting to think that I might hate everything because I've consumed so much content where everyone hates everything, and it's wearing me down. I don't want to live with such hate for everything. I don't want to blindly fanboy about this show, or any show, because I think valid criticisms should not be ignored, but I think we need to stop with the overbearing nitpicks. For example, I think the whole plot around a supernova destroying Romulus and the Romulans not having any means of strategy to work on it themselves is absurd, or even knowing about it long before it became a threat, but that isn't a nitpick of Picard. The show is only working with what was already established in Star Trek 2009 film, that's where the real plot hole comes from. I think at this point we just have to accept that that was an idiot plot device back in 2009, Picard show is just working with what it had. I always thought that supernova thing sounded so stupid, because Spock talked about in the movie how it threatened to destroy the galaxy lol, supernovas do not fucking work like that. This show even makes an effort to fix that stupid fuck up by having it be Romulus's star that goes nova.

jwj442

Prejudice and (inter-species) racism do still exist in Star Trek. Undiscovered Country, most obviously. O'Brien hates Cardassians and has to gradually learn to (partly) get over it. A lot of the jabs Bones makes at Spock would make us really uncomfortable if it was a real-world ethnicity. "Roddenberry's vision" is not the end-all be-all; TNG had a terrible start and became a good show because his vision had become ossified, extreme, and overly restrictive and had to be greatly toned down or even discarded. Roddenberry didn't even like Wrath of Khan.

Also a lot of the critiques are exagerrating and oversimplifying what actually happened with the Romulans - it's a nuanced picture and not just "let them die." Despite some degree of opposition, the Federation was ready to rescue them at first and followed Picard's plan. For reasons that will hopefully be elaborated later, the Mars attack was what changed everything. A huge crisis caused the Federation to fail to live up to its ideas, which has happened before in smaller ways.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Good look at Hugh from episode 3:
picard-tca-2020-promo-photos-00002.jpg

I watched the RLM review before watching the first episode and now I don’t know what thoughts are legitimately my own or WHAT THOSE HACK FRAUDS HAVE PROGRAMMED ME TO THINK.....

giphy.gif

no, honestly, I’m a super casual Star Trek fan. I told a guy at GameStop once that I liked Into Darkness and he talked to me for 35 minutes about why Galaxy Quest is a better Star Trek film than Into Darkness. So, my opinion apparently isn’t valid but it seems pretty good so far? I’m interested, i understood a couple references

Shantae

Banned
Is there a new episode today? I had used my free trial for the first episode, and debating if I wanna pay money to cbs all access.

Top Bottom