• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Picard |OT| The Next, Next, Next Generation

I really enjoyed the finale. 🤷‍♂️

I’m sure Data was fine with 15-20 years. The fucker was buried under San Francisco for 500 years.

He did fine and dandy for 500 years, but remember, that pre-emotion chip Data. Data with emotion chip went wonky face with a side of malfunction when laughing too much at a bad joke. Granted his experience with emotions was extremely small, so that definitely attributed to it.
Odh29fv.jpg

Of course the case could also be made that his emotions didn't carry into purgatory, but the way he was sitting in the chair with a small smile on his face while sitting in his chair enjoying a drink and the sound of his talking, the tone, inflection, and overall delivery during his conversation with Picard during Picard's consciousness transfer seemed to have emotion and feeling behind it.

Or you're right and he's just fine. Sorry for the overthinking shit. The fact that just one episode introduced the fact that there's apparently a form of android purgatory/afterlife just makes for fuckin time wasting thought processes about shit that didn't exist in Star trek for its almost 60 year history now. It's trippy shit, but it also makes me think "The fuck are they snorting and who ate all the shrooms to greenlight some of this shit?"

The following just my personal opinion and in no way am I going to claim that I am correct, and I acknowledge there is plenty of room for disagreement tons of room for quality counterpoints and more sound opinions than my own.

I think the fact that Star Trek has had semi-frequent sources of new material being added to the main line of Trek Canon is hypocritically by far it's greatest strength and crippling weakness.

On one side, Star Trek: Enterprise was pretty dull in its overall presentation, but it gave us a detailed look into the beginnings of how Humans, Vulcans, Andorians and other races faced their problems and hurdles that needed to be overcome to establish the beginnings of the bedrock that the Federation will be built upon. Granted all the time travel shit, Xindi, and Sphere builders really mucked things up and detracted away from the really good idea of humanity taking it's bumps in space and forming bonds with other races to kick start the first vestiges of forming the mighty Federation.

On the other...Discovery. It was set in a great time period...right before the legendary and amazing adventures of the Iconic Kirk Era crew....but spore drive, pandering to demographics, tech that seemed at times to be 100 years ahead of what TNG had, half baked canon characters that were born from a Sims like character randomizer, and the war crime that is the design of the Klingons. It had such great potential of showing what the Federation was like before the mighty USS Enterprise began to solidify and help steer the Federation as a whole in a direction towards one of amazing accomplishments, help its people become a unified force of peace, strength, scientific discovery and quickly gain the respect and admiration of both friend and foe alike. It could have been the Star Trek that was starting to really stretch its legs and stand up to the challenges that the galaxy threw at them with growing confidence and belief that all these races from all of these different backgrounds would show that its possible and more beneficial to stand together united and work together to help one another and do away with all misguided prejudice and malice. The struggle to reach the utopia that TNG portrayed could have been wonderfully portrayed.

HAHA NOOOPE. Hyper advanced travel method so fast that it makes borg transwarp look like a bike with square wheels peddling up hill. Also let's make the mirror universe a major part of the overall arcing plot and appease every demographic and put together a cast of characters that are devoid of quality character development and planning in favor team diversity and create bland, half assed characters with little to no effort of making them interesting depth wise, structure wise or design wise. Also they say hell no to hiring great and talented actors to portray those woefully underdeveloped characters and make it work. Diversity and forced pandering to the most sensitive of demographics once again rear their ugly heads, and several people are hired on to portray a variety of characters from wildly different backgrounds....aaaand those actors have terrible or stunted delivery, and their capacity to convincingly express anything beyond modest emotional responses is visual cringing for the eyes and audible confusion for the ears. Oh and again good god the fucking design of the Klingons....I don't even know where to start.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Can someone please explain to me how Picard's consciousness and personhood could exit the "quantum simulation" and be implanted into a new body, but they couldn't simply do the same for Data??

EDIT: Hell, I'll even give them a way to handle it: have it turn out that Young Soong had already been preparing a secondary body for himself just like he did for Picard, but that he decides at the end not to transfer his own consciousness into it--having lived enough--and instead gives that gift to his brother Data, so that Data's consciousness enters the body and lives out his days as a real mortal. Brent Spiner could transition to playing Data but as the older looking self. Continue to go on adventures with Picard, but both of them now mortal.

EDIT2: The more I think about it... this is probably exactly what they'll do in Season 2. Mirroring The Search for Spock, we'll find out that the "golem" concept (like Genesis) was used between seasons / films to restore Data to a new body, which will have been one made older like Son Soong, so that Spiner can reprise the role without all the makeup. They actually. might do that, as crazy as it is.

Last edited:

Shouta

Just watched it while there were parts I liked of the Finale, a lot of it was just like poorly thought out. The two characters scenes before the Picard and Data scene was totally pointless for those characters since we knew he was coming back alive. There was no reaction to him being alive either. The entire bomb strategy was pointless and did nothing for the confrontations. There's a lot of that throughout the show but man, it all came together.

There are of parts that I did like. The fact it didn't come down to a giant laser fight, a lot of the nostalgia bits like Will showing up with the fleet, even if the design is generic as fuck. The Data and Picard scene and that resolution was great too since I always felt like Data's send off was terrible originally.

Awkward shit abound too though like that last scene with them panning over the couples. Rios and Jurati always look awkward as fuck. Seven and Raffi being shoved in there was a bit weird too since they didn't do anything with that at all this season. i don't even remember them talking. Then there's everything with Soji.

I'd give the entire S1 a 3-4/10? It gets that just because of the nostalgia bits. The story and general writing was really meh which is kind of unfortunate since I did like some of the ideas. It still was better than I was expecting it would be so it's kind of a success there? I was fully expecting a 1-2 and a total trainwreck.

Can someone please explain to me how Picard's consciousness and personhood could exit the "quantum simulation" and be implanted into a new body, but they couldn't simply do the same for Data??

EDIT: Hell, I'll even give them a way to handle it: have it turn out that Young Soong had already been preparing a secondary body for himself just like he did for Picard, but that he decides at the end not to transfer his own consciousness into it--having lived enough--and instead gives that gift to his brother Data, so that Data's consciousness enters the body and lives out his days as a real mortal. Brent Spiner could transition to playing Data but as the older looking self. Continue to go on adventures with Picard, but both of them now mortal.

EDIT2: The more I think about it... this is probably exactly what they'll do in Season 2. Mirroring The Search for Spock, we'll find out that the "golem" concept (like Genesis) was used between seasons / films to restore Data to a new body, which will have been one made older like Son Soong, so that Spiner can reprise the role without all the makeup. They actually. might do that, as crazy as it is.

It seemed like the show implied that Data was the quantum simulation. That his memory and consciousness were there but intertwined with it which is why he said that Picard was "real" unlike him. Picard's image was stored there while awaiting the new body and exited it when he was transferred back but that didn't seem to be the case for Data?

I actually don't think they'll pursue this with a Season 2 because it felt like this was being a proper sendoff for Data, the way they did it. That speech by him was about as close as it gets for his character, considering the writers.

ManaByte

I actually don't think they'll pursue this with a Season 2 because it felt like this was being a proper sendoff for Data, the way they did it. That speech by him was about as close as it gets for his character, considering the writers.

Spiner said this is the last time he'll play Data and it was meant as a better send off than Nemesis, as that was so badly received.

The Picard/Data relationship was my favorite part of TNG, so making that the core of this first season saved it for me.

Not Picard related but the Star Trek YT channel did a cool quick Q&A with John De Lancie. Dude looks great for his age. Wish it was a bit longer. Q is what got me into TNG.

Went to a Con in the 90s and ended up in an elevator with him. He was real cool.

I've heard that he was real cool to from a friend that goes to cons. He said that people get kind of intimidated by him though in person because they don't expect him to be such a big dude. I don't mean fat or anything but just he's a big guy.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

I don't really think they'll do it either, although bringing Data back is no less ridiculous than giving Soong a new biological son so that Spiner can appear without makeup, giving Picard a new (but old? and aging?) synthetic body, meeting up with Data's consciousness in a quantum study, and so on. So I suddenly realized... every stupid thing imaginable is on the table here.

That device was one of the absolute laziest setups I've ever seen. Usually, if some dumb gimmick item is going to save the day, you at least introduce it an episode or so prior, so that the audience has it in the back of their minds, and you give it a plausible reason to exist. Here, the distance from the corny scene where he suddenly has this thing and tries to use it, to the final trick, was like... 15 minutes. And the device made absolutely no sense, much less her ability to just use it to project ships into space with ease. So dumb.

Chabon is an absolute hack-fraud, I stand by that.

Well, I am a bit torn.
I liked the nostalgia. Seeing Riker in uniform, Data, etc..

But there was just so much stupid shit in this.

* That stupid magic device that can conjure illusions the size of a hundred space ships that act to sensors as if they are real. If this is possible, why is not everybody doing this in future?
* them downloading a COPY of Picards mind. What we are seeing here is an android that thinks he is Picard. But is not. Shit like that should be illegal in that universe.
* what was even the point about that?
* If you are thinking this over like a second, the Romulans are not really the villains, and that makes the whole story so convoluted to me. They are trying their best to save the fucking universe.
felt all the time "YOU STUPID FUCKERS, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" in regards of what the "heroes" of the show try to accomplish. Picard gives Soji all the benefit of the doubt, when he actually has known her for what, three episodes? He is lying the fate of ALL ORGANIC LIFE into the hands of an android he barely knows. What a fool. I would have loved to see him fail with this, to be honest.
* Picard dying between all those people he barely knows and they are making this out like they are his best friends is so cringey.
* I don't have a problem with LBTGHKJJDWKJWD representation in movies, but don't force it on us with this "oh look, we got lesbians" bullshit in the last ten seconds of a movie, TroS like.
* Yeah, Rios and Jurati don't work.

Good things:
* Romulan girl was hot.

Last edited:

Forsythia

The nostalgia was great, but I never felt like watching Jean-Luc Picard, it was more Patrick Stewart & friends. And why did he have to die only to be resurrected moments later as a synth. And it doesn't bother him in the slightest, he's just like "oh well, guess I'm a synth now". What was the point of the Borg? They could've easily written a story about the Romulans and synths without the Borg. And even then it feels like a Mass Effect knock off. Ugh. I hope season 2 is better. Let's start by ditching everyone in the crew.

I sometimes ask myself, if it would be really that extremely horrible to simply get the old crew together for these things instead of those new people with no chemistry whatsoever.

Everybody wanted Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie, Lando and the droids together on one last adventure in the SW sequels.

And here, the things I liked best about this whole mess was that episode with Riker and Troy and that bit of Data we saw.
Yeah, it's nostalgia pandering, but who gives a fuck.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
This was by far the most disappointing season of Star Trek I have seen. When even Voyager is more entertaining and coherent in story telling, you messed up. And WTF was that multi purpose omnitool the androids have?

GreyHorace

Want to see what no-self awareness looks like? Here's Michael Chabon admitting to wanting to piss off and provoke fans with the show.

Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Michael Chabon Admits He Wanted To “Piss Off Or Provoke People”

“In the course of this season, we show the death of Icheb, who was a recurring character on “Voyager,” and then the death of Hugh, who was a recurring character on “TNG.” When we talked about it, we definitely had a sense of like, there’s probably going to be some people who are upset that these characters have died.”

“The death of Icheb has now become part of the story of Seven of Nine. It felt completely called for and we couldn’t have told her story without it. I mean, the death of Icheb is upsetting partly because it’s fairly gruesome, which I understand, but also because, you know, he’s so powerless, he has no agency. He’s really a victim.”

“But that isn’t the case with the death of Hugh. He dies trying to do what he’s been trying to do for his entire adult life, which is help former Borg. His death felt meaningful.”

“I will say, I don’t think I quite understood that there were going to be people who would be upset about a character’s death regardless of how that character died. That simply the fact of a character dying — that was not okay with them. Even if I had known that I would have ultimately dismissed it because it seems — I just don’t understand television in that way.”

” I mean, one possible response that I could have had — and I think some of my partners on “Picard” do have — is to ignore it all completely. Or to just take a little glance, maybe look at Rotten Tomatoes, see what the kind of consensus of the reviews from the critics has been, which has been pretty darn favorable, and just sort of leave it at that.”

“I’ve gone maybe half a dozen times since this season started to look on Reddit. I will say, the quality of comment and of criticism on Reddit is so much vastly higher than it is on Twitter, even some quite strongly negative criticism. It tends to be much better reasoned, much better supported with evidence, in a way that I can respect and engage with and listen to.”

“As someone who spent a fair amount of time over the years on Memory Alpha, looking on Reddit, enjoying the way people enjoy “Star Trek” online — it’s been so fun to see [the show] getting absorbed into the kind of greater corpus of “Star Trek.” What makes me feel good is when I see it being treated, in a sense, the same by fans as previous versions of the show.”

“I actually went back and looked on Google Groups, which acquired Usenet, so you can look through the old Usenet groups and watch what people said about “Deep Space Nine” and then about “Voyager.” They f—ing hated it. They lacerated it. I mean, plenty of people liked it and loved it.”

However, maybe the biggest revelation is that Chabon admits he wanted to add darker, grimmer elements to Star Trek in the vein of Westworld and Breaking Bad.

Chabon explains, “You come to “Star Trek,” I think, as a fan, especially if you’ve watched all the episodes many, many times, with this expectation that you won’t have to tolerate that kind of level of “darkness” for that long.”

He continues, “And so that when a show in this era asks you to do what you are readily willing to do with a show like “Westworld” or “Breaking Bad” or whatever — somehow, the mere fact that it’s “Star Trek” makes it hard to accept.”

Chabon adds, “And I actually get that. It’s a little weird for me, too. Both in conceiving this show, and sometimes, if I can give myself enough distance as I’m watching the episodes as they’re dropping, I can feel this deep wiring in my brain that wants “Star Trek” to be episodic.”

Chabon has routinely placed the idea of the Picard show at the feet of Patrick Stewart. During a Q&A on Instagram last month, Chabon highlighted Stewart’s condition for being involved with the production:

“Sir Patrick was very clear and explicit with us, from the outset, that his returning to the role of Jean-Luc Picard, like his previous return to the role of Professor X in LOGAN, depended on our creating a series written and intended for an older, more mature audience, about an older, more battered hero, one that would accurately reflect and take into account the burden of years, disappointments, and regrets. So that is what we set about doing.”

So, award winning novelist admits he wanted to piss off fans in an effort to do something new with the franchise. Someone should mention to him that this show felt like a ripoff of a videogame as we pointed out earlier with Mass Effect.

jdforge

Banned
Disappointed with this. Unless the writing massively improves for S2, I can’t see this being renewed.

Android Picard is just ludicrous.

Comparing it to Westworld or Breaking Bad, yeah, nice one Chabon. It was episodic but it was also fucking shit. Shit script, shit idea's, plot holes and yeah it shat all over Trek but deep down to it's core it was just shit. Looking forward to season two :D I love to torture myself.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Before I read anyone else's thoughts about the finale, I want to give my own.

I REALLY loved it!

Everything from seeing jurati finally doing the right thing to seeing Data again to seeing Riker come in to save the day to seeing that Romulan witch finally get her comeuppance!

I realize that the majority of y'all don't like this series or like only parts of it but I've enjoyed every episode! Data in his smoking jacket was a callback to All Good Things. So much I loved about it. I even shed a tear when Data died. Again.

Had so much hope for this series...

source.gif

Edit- just wrapped it up.

Data was on some USB's?

Raffi and 7of9??

Skybeam.

Men weak. Women strong. Flowers literally protecting a planet.

Picard knew he had a Magic Jack to make multiple ships?

Zero empathy for these characters. What did they actually do?

Narek vaporized I guess?

Noonion Soong had a son. I'm sure Picard would have never known this?

Star Trek: Convenience.

IKT1F4a.jpg

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

So i think we need somebody to buy Star Trek from CBS to prevent them from doing further damage.
They have proven themselves incapable of entrusting this franchise to capable hands.

I really don't understand why any of the showrunners would willingly shit over what Star Trek is to push their own ideas. At that point you've got to ask, why are you doing this here, just make your own damn universe.

“There's a time and place for everything, and I believe it’s called 'fan fiction'.”
― Joss Whedon

That's what we have folks. Showrunners doing fan fiction.

Ovek

7Member7
What I would like to know is where the fuck Picard and his band of merry murderers were going at the end of the last episode. They have no reason to still be together as a group.

Stouffers

Banned
What I would like to know is where the fuck Picard and his band of merry murderers were going at the end of the last episode. They have no reason to still be together as a group.
Onto their next impossible thing!

Rumor has it, Picard was actually a reboot of the A-Team. The P-Team is set to premier next spring.

Durask

I thought it was OK.
Cheesy stupid writing was always a huge part of Trek. I think people look at the old shows through rose colored glasses, sure there were some good episodes but majority were cringey and hokey most of the time.

The last episode was ridiculous but entertaining as long as you do not use your brain.

Okay, so I heard about this shitshow and looked up spoilers to laugh at them:

Patrick Stewart gets to give a masterclass on dramatic death scene acting, as Picard says goodbye to his new family of rag-tag misfits, and drifts away into death. However, Jean-Luc finds himself not in the afterlife, but rather a simulation where his mind is being housed - alongside an old friend (Data). After giving Data a much better send-off than Star Trek: Insurrection did, Picard wakes up in a new synthetic body.

So Picard dies. Is he hooked up to a machine when he dies or do they think that his "soul" just got sucked into a storage medium? The only way you could possibility continue being conscious and transfer over to another body or medium (synthetic or otherwise) is that there is continuity between your old body and the new medium. Your experience has to be continuous, or else you are gone. Otherwise, if that new medium starts to have conscious experience it is its own being. If Soong recorded his brain structure and replicated it, that will just be new Picard based off of that structure, not the Picard that died. The Picard that died had his experience end there.

Such retarded science fiction.

It's arguably something of cop-out how the showrunners set it up: Picard now inhabits a cutting-edge new synthetic body, but is aged to his current age 'for comfort and familiarity,' and is artificially given a shut down date that's equal to his real human lifespan. Basically, it's Android Picard without any of the logical questions or hangups to keep Patrick Stewart for returning as the character. Works for us.

If Picard was dying naturally of a brain disease, isn't that his real human lifespan?

Holy hell what was all that

Soong-son-chan just low key invented immortality--can create flesh & blood replica bodies that are basically 100% human and implant your mind with ease in his lab--and everyone just went on about their business as if nothing big happened. Why didn't he implant Data's consciousness in a new Data body at any point?? I mean, that makes way more sense than creating an old-man clone with an intentionally imposed 10-year shelf life? What the hell

How does he have the Data who died? I'm sure you could make up shit that Soong had a subspace network setup that constantly backed up Data's data and he used that to make a copy Data, but that is not THE Data. Just a copy. Which is fine and all, but I like my science fiction precise.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I thought the show was really weak. Some cool idea here and there that goes nowhere just to move forward the plot. I also felt a chunk of the show was definitely not trek.

Overall, 4/10.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Okay, so I heard about this shitshow and looked up spoilers to laugh at them:

So Picard dies. Is he hooked up to a machine when he dies or do they think that his "soul" just got sucked into a storage medium? The only way you could possibility continue being conscious and transfer over to another body or medium (synthetic or otherwise) is that there is continuity between your old body and the new medium. Your experience has to be continuous, or else you are gone. Otherwise, if that new medium starts to have conscious experience it is its own being. If Soong recorded his brain structure and replicated it, that will just be new Picard based off of that structure, not the Picard that died. The Picard that died had his experience end there.

Such retarded science fiction.

If Picard was dying naturally of a brain disease, isn't that his real human lifespan?

How does he have the Data who died? I'm sure you could make up shit that Soong had a subspace network setup that constantly backed up Data's data and he used that to make a copy Data, but that is not THE Data. Just a copy. Which is fine and all, but I like my science fiction precise.

It's Data's consciousness ... His memories and everything that he downloaded into B4 coupled with his neurons that ... I forget the name of the character... The one from Measure of a Man... Took to the planet Soong was at. So it WAS Data's consciousness... It WAS Data ...

As for Picard... Soong said it himself... He downloaded Picard's consciousness before his brain ceased functioning. Your brain doesn't die as soon as your heart stops beating. It's still "alive" with electrical impulses ... But it's a finite time before it DOES cease function. Which is why Soong hurried to do the transfer. So that TOO is Picard. The original. Remember, there was an episode in TNG where Data's "grandfather" downloaded HIS consciousness into Data...

Edit: I'm surprised most of y'all don't remember these things! Even those of you who supposedly have watched TNG multiple times...

Last edited:
It's Data's consciousness ... His memories and everything that he downloaded into B4 coupled with his neurons that ... I forget the name of the character... The one from Measure of a Man... Took to the planet Soong was at. So it WAS Data's consciousness... It WAS Data ...

B4 had Data's data and memories but was not Data. That was established in Nemesis. There were some EU books that said over time more of Data's memories were available to him, but he was still not Data.

That is one of the themes around Data throughout TNG - what is a man? Is a man just data, or is a man his experience?

As for Picard... Soong said it himself... He downloaded Picard's consciousness before his brain ceased functioning. Your brain doesn't die as soon as your heart stops beating. It's still "alive" with electrical impulses ... But it's a finite time before it DOES cease function. Which is why Soong hurried to do the transfer. So that TOO is Picard. The original. Remember, there was an episode in TNG where Data's "grandfather" downloaded HIS consciousness into Data...

But that is the same issue as with Data - he downloaded Picard's memories, but he just made a copy. That is not Picard as we knew him. When Picard died, he would not have suddenly found himself in the waiting room - he is just dead. There is no continuity between his experience as Picard and his in the waiting room. The copy might feel it was continuous, but he is just a copy.

Also, in the ep were Noonian Soong transferd himself into Data, it is never made clear how he did the transfer or that he was actually Soong rather than a copy. It was also made clear in another ep that the same thing was true for Noonian's wife - he copied her into an android, and while she was a perfect copy she was still just a copy.

Last edited:
Yep, we have an android that thinks he is the real Picard, while the real Picard died and is rotting in his grave.

Isn't the future going to be wonderful.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Amazing. This guy's videos are spot-on.
Alex Kurtzmann and the bit about Game of Thrones makes me groan. Does this idiot think that Sex and Violence somehow equal quality TV? Has he even read the books GOT is based off of? A Song of Ice and Fire was a very thoughtful and nuanced fantasy series, much like Star Trek in science fiction, except Trek didn't have the bloody and sexy bits.

eot

Banned
Alex Kurtzmann and the bit about Game of Thrones makes me groan. Does this idiot think that Sex and Violence somehow equal quality TV? Has he even read the books GOT is based off of? A Song of Ice and Fire was a very thoughtful and nuanced fantasy series, much like Star Trek in science fiction, except Trek didn't have the bloody and sexy bits.
The descriptions of sex in ASoIaF are also teenage poetry level awful

Ownage

But the average Jane and Joe want more sex in their lives. Combine TNG with sexy incest subtext and you get a recipe for a bowl full of ownage. Too bad the ingredients lacked spice.

Ikutachi

Yep, we have an android that thinks he is the real Picard, while the real Picard died and is rotting in his grave.

We have people here, and I'd wager a bulk of the audience, thinking it's a continuation of the real Picard. Does the writer think so too? lol.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

In some senses he is a continuation of Picard, but it requires a great leap to just pretend that he's the same man. At the very least, something this unprecedented would have been met with a full episode of ethical and philosophical debate on TNG, with characters dealing with the change on a serious level (Dr. Crusher perhaps deeply conflicted between mourning her friend and welcoming the facsimile staring at her, that still is him on some level yet still feels like a betrayal; Data speaking of the nature his own identity; Riker reflecting on the second Riker that was created in the transporter accident in a prior episode, and how both of them are "him" even if they are not each other; etc). Instead, it's just a quick "oh well we copied his brain into the robot" and no one bats an eye. Ridiculous.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
In some senses he is a continuation of Picard, but it requires a great leap to just pretend that he's the same man. At the very least, something this unprecedented would have been met with a full episode of ethical and philosophical debate on TNG, with characters dealing with the change on a serious level (Dr. Crusher perhaps deeply conflicted between mourning her friend and welcoming the facsimile staring at her, that still is him on some level yet still feels like a betrayal; Data speaking of the nature his own identity; Riker reflecting on the second Riker that was created in the transporter accident in a prior episode, and how both of them are "him" even if they are not each other; etc). Instead, it's just a quick "oh well we copied his brain into the robot" and no one bats an eye. Ridiculous.

If you want to get really technical about it... Every time someone gets up in a transporter, their body is destroyed and a copy is recreated when they "beam down/up". So the copy is not the same person but it is still them, in a way.

Top Bottom