• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Picard S2 Premieres March 3, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Pike's show) Premieres May 5th

Trunx81

Is there no proper Picard Season 2 thread?
Anyway, just watched the first episode. It was surprisingly decent. A lot of talks that can be skipped, but the end scenes really payed of. Just wondering why Starfleet is back to Voyager uniforms?
Great to see Q again, the deaging looked good. Guinan felt shoehorned in, but short.

Considering the nosedive the first season took, I’m giving it another chance.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Is there no proper Picard Season 2 thread?
Anyway, just watched the first episode. It was surprisingly decent. A lot of talks that can be skipped, but the end scenes really payed of. Just wondering why Starfleet is back to Voyager uniforms?
Great to see Q again, the deaging looked good. Guinan felt shoehorned in, but short.

Considering the nosedive the first season took, I’m giving it another chance.

There's an OT for it in Communities.

They're not exactly the Voyager uniforms. They're an evolution of the Lower Decks uniforms. Lower Decks is set a couple years after Nemesis. This is a couple of decades after that. The Voyager/DS9/Movie uniforms were jump suits. They're back to them being TNG-style tunics.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Finished fully watching the Season 2 pilot at last (first time, got bored 20 minutes in, then just scrubbed through to see a few key scenes).

The only cast member I can praise is DeLancie. He is still fully Q in his performance, which is much more than I can say for Patrick Stewart, who I honestly believe is suffering from cognitive decline because he never seems to understandi what's happening in the scenes around him. It's sad that the weakest link on Picard might be Picard himself, but he is either incapable or unwilling to truly act as he once did, and just fumbles through being himself rather than his character.

Guinan was meh, really not much to the scene becaues it lacked her quick witted charm of the original.

I still despise these horrible new characters. I guess the rogue-captain guy is at least funny occasionally, but Agnes is just horrible, i don't know why they keep making us suffer with her onscreen every few minutes.

This show's writing has a terrible tendency to just use single lines to make up for and excuse things that they don't want to deal with. Guinan is old? "Humans don't like to be reminded of their mortality [around me], so I try to keep up." Picard mentions his feebleness, but he's actually an android for those who remmeber the horrible season 1? Agnes just gives a wink to the audience in response and says "you're looking positively positronic" (get it? Cause he's an android in fact).

I also wish these writers understood how to have some kind of plot which isn't about the damn Borg again. Despite the Best of Both Worlds being a watershed moment, the Borg made up maybe 5% of the problems PIcard dealt with in his career, and that's a generous estimate. TNG was not a show about the Borg, they were just one threat which happened to have a few recurrding episodes across the 7 seasons, and in fact far fewer episodes than most people seem to remember: 6 episodes out of 178, meaning that 97% of the plots didn't even mention them in passing.

I'm so bored watching it; I hate every new character; the writing is idiotic; Patrick Stewart has no idea what the plot is. But I'll keep going just because I have to see what they're doing to this franchise.

Shouta

Watched the first episode of S2. It's significantly better than S1 in this first episode. It has way more in common with classic trek in structure. There was a lot more actual interaction between the characters too which is great. I don't really like the cast still but at least they're moving them forward in the story. I don't like the Abrahams/Discovery look and all of the weird ass camera angles for things though. They could just do simple ones and it'd be a lot better and give the feel of classic trek better.

I kind of dig what the arc for Picard will be in this season and the overall plot might be decent? I'll still watch but keeping expectations low.

The only cast member I can praise is DeLancie. He is still fully Q in his performance, which is much more than I can say for Patrick Stewart, who I honestly believe is suffering from cognitive decline because he never seems to understandi what's happening in the scenes around him. It's sad that the weakest link on Picard might be Picard himself, but he is either incapable or unwilling to truly act as he once did, and just fumbles through being himself rather than his character.

Guinan was meh, really not much to the scene becaues it lacked her quick witted charm of the original.

I still despise these horrible new characters. I guess the rogue-captain guy is at least funny occasionally, but Agnes is just horrible, i don't know why they keep making us suffer with her onscreen every few minutes.
He's kind of okay but the cigar chomping bullshit just looks stupid on a Starfleet bridge... I dunno.

Mild spoilers I suppose, not worth an actual spoiler tag IMO... I'm just not sure what this thread is. I'm going to consider it a de facto Picard S2 thread of the moment because I don't think the show is worth an actual thread.

Speaking of the Stargazer... the RLM review mentioned it as well, but in one scene Picard is like "not the same ship as my Stargazer" and then in another calls it a "refit".

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Stargazer_(NCC-82893) said:
Star Trek: Picard showrunner Terry Matalas was asked whether the new Stargazer was an entirely new ship, or a refit of Picard's original Stargazer. He said:

"Like the TMP Enterprise, it’s a massively updated refit. I like to think of it as the story of the broom: If one day you replace the handle, and another day the brush, is it still the same broom? We thought of it as a vessel endlessly repaired and upgraded, brought in-line with current-future tech, so that somewhere underneath all the lights and polish are the bones of Picard’s original ship. Does it make sense? I don’t know. But I sure like the spirit of it." [1]

Since Rios' Stargazer has a different registry and ship class from the USS Stargazer, Memory Alpha is treating it as a different ship. The observation lounge on the Stargazer contained models of three ships: the Radiant-class Stargazer, Picard's Constellation-class Stargazer, and Rios' Sagan-class ship.
Shit's so stupid the nerd site isn't even willing to quite go along with what the showrunner is saying. But that's the thing with this fucking show, regardless of the awful plot and characters of the first season... it's the member-berries that really kill it. You want to sprinkle in them berries, at least get shit right. There's no reason the ship had to be a Picard reference. It could have been named just about anything and the end result would have been better.

Also bro what's this story of the broom bullshit? Why aren't you talking Ship of Theseus? Is there even a story of the broom? The way you tell it, it's a pretty shit story.

Anyway I agree that for the 20 seconds he was on screen, De Lancie was good. And having only watched part of the season preview... it's possible I won't hate the plot on a fundamental level.

But yeah, Patrick Stewart is totally washed. Even with good plotting/scripts it's hard to not see him dragging the whole thing down. That scene of great great grandpa Picard pondering diddling Granny Romulan was about as cringe-inducing as it gets.

I watched one episode of Disco this season and haven't gone back. I'll at least check out a second episode of Picard. I literally only watched the first episode after I saw that RLM did a video on it.

It's a new ship. They say it's the first of a new class that the Federation built with stuff they learned from the Borg cube artifact.
Except I quoted the showrunner, and writer of this very episode for that matter saying the exact opposite while admitting that it might not make sense. What a fucking clown-show in the Kurtzman-verse.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Except I quoted the showrunner, and writer of this very episode for that matter saying the exact opposite while admitting that it might not make sense. What a fucking clown-show in the Kurtzman-verse.

It's spoken in the episode. I'm sorry if a YouTube video you watched omitted a fact to push outrage.

It's spoken in the episode. I'm sorry if a YouTube video you watched omitted a fact to push outrage.
I watched the episode. The exact opposite is 'spoken in the episode' as well when Picard calls it a refit. The OMG YouTube Outrage video just assumed the writer didn't understand what "refit" means. And then I found the quote from the actual writer who is indicating that he did in fact mean "refit". So, it's even stupider than they thought.

I'm not sure why you're trying to imply the episode is consistent with itself.

nush

Gold Member
Is there even a story of the broom?
R-C.be797f69002dfcc4aa0e3950f95667d3

MMaRsu

Banned
Its so bad. Agnes makes me want to throw something at my TV for how shit her character is.

At least the guy cutting throats is fucking dead. I loved it when the good guys cut open some throats!

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
At least the guy cutting throats is fucking dead. I loved it when the good guys cut open some throats!
I doubt it, no one ever dies on this show. Just get Data's bro to make him another body... the Soongs have basically solved immortality with that transfer, after all, even though everyone just goes on with their lives as if it didn't happen.

Its so bad. Agnes makes me want to throw something at my TV for how shit her character is.

Yeah like she wouldn't be found out immediately with her gibberish nonsense in the weird timeline.
Can't believe they went the Discovery route

Lunarorbit

At lunch nprs fresh air wa ls replaying an interview with Picard from 2 years ago right after the first season aired. Haven't watched Picard yet but it t was a good interview.

Ep 2 was better than expected. Some of the Q dialogue sounded like the writers references were from an episode list rather than having any knowledge of TNG itself. Though he seemed intense and enthusiastic. We need more than 20 seconds of Q.

I would like to see more interaction between the characters, but then, when they do it vears between pretty underwhelming and offensively poor outside of the old cast members.

There just isn't any chemistry evident there doesn't appear to be much talent on display. I hate discovery but at least the actors seem fully commited. Picard is like watching a startrek where the actors are coached by Bruce Willis.

Here ends my positive impressions.

Roll on Orville s3

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Lol the second episode makes the first one such a bait-and-switch.

For the season pilot, they gave us normal Starfleet (it's finally not evil and filled with backstabbing bitches dropping the F- bomb repeatedly), they gave us uniforms with classic inspiration, they gave us the Stargazer, a real bridge and crew, etc

Then in episode 2: nope lol, we're back to the horrible set of that stupid freighter-looking ship that Rios had in season 1, everything is evil and stupid again. Whoops, oh well.

Not to mention, this timeline-changing plot makes no sense. How the hell are they trying to convince us that actions taken back in 2024 would lead to a future in which we have the same damn people in the 24th century (Picard and all the others were still born just the same, so their entire multi-century family lineages worked out exactly as before the big change, despite the world looking completely different :pie_thinking:), but our characters are simply cartoonishly evil now.

And boy did they lay it on thick & stupid with the way they made Starfleet evil. It has slaves, Nazi-like aesthetics, Picard keeps a collection of skulls from his best kills (looooool), and it's called "The Confederation" now. Do...do you get it? Like the confederacy, because basically the only kind of "evil" that exists is some mismash of current fantasies of Hitler, racists, and generic authoritarianism. Why are the writers so intellectually childish?? Serious question.

How the fuck does Pegasus Actual Pegasus Actual not know what this is from.
That's a hate crime here. Trigger won an award for that broom.

I've never heard of the broom either, nor the show it's from, and I've even watched an unusually large amount of UK shows over the years (grew up watching old Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, Poirot, Doctor Who, etc etc).

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
That part was awesome. Gul Dukat, General Martok, Sarek.
It was definitely entertaining, I'll say that. I was laughing and pausing to remind my wife who each of these characters are.

The funniest part by far was the Dukat story. They just tossed in there that Picard's battle with Dukat is why, in this new timeline, Picard has a synthetic body.

Think about that for a moment. Here's the hilarious thought process from the writers:
- it's an alternate timeline now, so we have a problem...
- Picard seems genetically the same
- but that means his brain condition must still exist in this timeline
- so he should be dead by now...
- okay, I guess he must have been uploaded to a synthetic body in this timeline too, otherwise it's too confusing for the audience to see android-Picard switch back and forth to human-Picard when the timeline changes
- so let's see... I guess he got injured some other way in this timeline, epic battle with Gul Dukat

That's so insane, I can't get over it. Even with that crazy sequence of thoughts, how the hell did he end up meeting the Soong brother at the right time to get a new body in this other timeline? It's not like the upload-to-an-android thing is just available to everyone, and it was only because he died while trying to save the secret android home planet in season 1 that he even had a chance to take advantage of the swap.

Last edited:
They just can't help themselves. They got Q referencing episodes by title... I mean.. c'mon dude.

Then again when I saw this shit in the theater:

I was like:
Star Trek Yes GIF

Im Up Good Morning GIF by Regal

How the fuck does Pegasus Actual Pegasus Actual not know what this is from.
That's a hate crime here. Trigger won an award for that broom.
Better GIF, see on this soide of the pond guv'nah, we put the good lookin people on the telly.

Last edited:

Trunx81

After Discovery’s Mirror Universe shenanigans, this second episode felt so much more of the same. It’s hilarious how the writers just screened online for “what are the most beloved ST tropes” and added everything into the soup. The “cliffhanger” was also so bad, considering that we know that they’ll reach 2024 next episode.

At least no one is crying - yet.

nush

Gold Member
It’s hilarious how the writers just screened online for “what are the most beloved ST tropes” and

knew influencers would list all the "Easter Eggs", like if an Easter egg hunt was all the eggs just out there in the open.

lifa-cobex

Lol the second episode makes the first one such a bait-and-switch.

For the season pilot, they gave us normal Starfleet (it's finally not evil and filled with backstabbing bitches dropping the F- bomb repeatedly), they gave us uniforms with classic inspiration, they gave us the Stargazer, a real bridge and crew, etc

Then in episode 2: nope lol, we're back to the horrible set of that stupid freighter-looking ship that Rios had in season 1, everything is evil and stupid again. Whoops, oh well.

Not to mention, this timeline-changing plot makes no sense. How the hell are they trying to convince us that actions taken back in 2024 would lead to a future in which we have the same damn people in the 24th century (Picard and all the others were still born just the same, so their entire multi-century family lineages worked out exactly as before the big change, despite the world looking completely different :pie_thinking:), but our characters are simply cartoonishly evil now.

And boy did they lay it on thick & stupid with the way they made Starfleet evil. It has slaves, Nazi-like aesthetics, Picard keeps a collection of skulls from his best kills (looooool), and it's called "The Confederation" now. Do...do you get it? Like the confederacy, because basically the only kind of "evil" that exists is some mismash of current fantasies of Hitler, racists, and generic authoritarianism. Why are the writers so intellectually childish?? Serious question.

I've never heard of the broom either, nor the show it's from, and I've even watched an unusually large amount of UK shows over the years (grew up watching old Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, Poirot, Doctor Who, etc etc).
It's probably the most famous British show in our history.

Forsythia

This pisses me of so much. The first episode wasn't fantastic by any means, but it was much better than season 1. But nope, here we are already in a mirror universe, where the Federation is evil and Picard is Hitler. What the fuck. Get lost with the mirror universe crap. Yes, it's not 'the' mirror universe, but it might as well is. What a joke. At least I don't have to look at Rios with his sigar on the bridge of a Starfleet vessel. God I hate new Trek.

Tams

Only just noticed this was out.

Season one was mixed, but on the whole I liked it. So far, season two is pretty good. The totalitarian theme is a bit ham-fisted, but I'm liking it.

I'd rather enjoy it than spend time picking it apart and nit-picking as long as it's good overall. Anyway, my unbridled hate is reserved for Woke of the Rings. Maybe I too, am just getting too old for the shit of going out of my way to hate something.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I liked it but it was filler. Raffi acting ... Like Raffi.

And with Q having been documented in Starfleet, I'm surprised all of them don't know about him. Raffi's anger at Picard saying he played games with Q and costing people their lives is stupid.

Otherwise, i liked the Voyage Home

MMaRsu

Banned
Raffi is a stupid character anyway. Why does she care so much about Elroy? Elrond? Elnor? Jesus christ. What a shitty name.

Why doesnt she understand that to get back to normal time, they need the borg queen more than Elnor?

Is she so mad because Elnor was kind of like her new 'son' after her own son didnt want her as a shitty mother anymore?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Raffi is a stupid character anyway. Why does she care so much about Elroy? Elrond? Elnor? Jesus christ. What a shitty name.

Why doesnt she understand that to get back to normal time, they need the borg queen more than Elnor?

Is she so mad because Elnor was kind of like her new 'son' after her own son didnt want her as a shitty mother anymore?

Watch Seven break up with her ... She is all fine and dandy while the going is great... But when the going gets rough, she's the ultimate Debbie Downer. I don't understand that.

And Trek fanboy Marc Bernardin is supposed to be show runner or lead writer on this season...

MMaRsu

Banned
Watch Seven break up with her ... She is all fine and dandy while the going is great... But when the going gets rough, she's the ultimate Debbie Downer. I don't understand that.

And Trek fanboy Marc Bernardin is supposed to be show runner or lead writer on this season...

I honestly don't understand why Seven and Raffi are all of a sudden lesbian for eachother. Like I'd be totally fine with it, if the characters had chemistry, if we saw them have fun together and so something that brings them closer together. Like I didn't really like Chakotay and Seven as a couple but at least they had some chemistry.

Last season they barely interacted together, except the last episodes where they held hands? Like WTF? I dont get it.

Seven has also been turned into a psychopathic killer, who would rather resort to violence instead of her intellect.

I understand that she's been seperated from the Borg like a long time already now, but she doesn't even seem to come close to the person she was on Voyager. Her entire personality is different.

Same with Picard ofcourse. Yes he's older and frail (and a robot), but his personality is nothing like the man we saw on TNG.

It's trash.

Last edited:
Holy shit that third episode. When you're hoping for something along the lines of Star Trek IV and you get a script that must have been written by committee in a George Soros think-tank.

DS9's Past Tense was somehow a more accurate take on 2024 in like 1995 than what this show is coming up with in 2022...

I suppose 1996 brought us the original sin of the Borg Queen in First Contact and we've been paying for it ever since. And why is she even here. Why are the verbal spats between her and Picard? Did Q just set up the season then nope out till the finale? Shouldn't he be there taunting Picard at every turn, trying to teach him some valuable Q lesson? Wasn't the Borg queen trying to join the Federation or some bullshit at the start of this season? Or has just too much of my brain matter leaked out of my ear after that third episode? Didn't she want to fix the timeline, now she just doesn't give a fuck and wants to Borg it up in the year 2024, talkin 'bout New Legs like Forrest Gump and Lt. Dan...

I honestly don't understand why Seven and Raffi are all of a sudden lesbian for eachother. Like I'd be totally fine with it, if the characters had chemistry, if we saw them have fun together and so something that brings them closer together. Like I didn't really like Chakotay and Seven as a couple but at least they had some chemistry.

Last season they barely interacted together, except the last episodes where they held hands? Like WTF? I dont get it.
It's literally because Raffi unilaterally decided there needed to be a lesbian romance on the show so she got hand-grabby at the end of the first season. Is there a single writer in Hollywood unwoke enough to criticize such a move? Doubt (X).
Seven has also been turned into a psychopathic killer, who would rather resort to violence instead of her intellect.

I understand that she's been seperated from the Borg like a long time already now, but she doesn't even seem to come close to the person she was on Voyager. Her entire personality is different.

Same with Picard ofcourse. Yes he's older and frail (and a robot), but his personality is nothing like the man we saw on TNG.

It's trash.
Well she was a violent psychopath in season 1. Now she's admonishing Raffi for knocking out some white dude that tried to rob her at gunpoint the instant she materialized in present-day-ish LA :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Actually S2 Seven might be the best character on the show... and yeah that's not saying much... But Elnor is a nothing character (speaking of violent psycopaths, this dude wrote 'beheaded anyone who looked at Jean-Luc funny' on his Starfleet Academy application and got like 7 semesters of credits for it), Picard himself is a joke... Raffi is crap.... Jurati is basically the same character as the fat chick on Disco, oh no Im so nervous I'm so nervous haha look at me I saved the day SCIENCE BITCH!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom