• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Picard S2 Premieres March 3, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Pike's show) Premieres May 5th

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The majority of the bridge crew needs to be either black or female, bonus points for being both.

I could envision a good Star Trek with nothing but black and female characters. I can't get past how stupid it all is. Everyone talks and behaves like it's one of those MTV high school sports movies.

What about it was "woke" to you? You didn't come out and say it but you kinda intimated it.
None of the characters are believable. I don't buy any of them. Competence and leadership don't behave anything remotely close to what they show on screen. It's like that show Glee but in outer space.

Oh and literally every character on the show would post on Resetera, if you catch my drift.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
... But wouldn't that make sense over 1000 years into the future?

In less than 1000 years in our real future everyone is going to be mixed race (I've done my part). That's how we can already laugh at hardcore racists and their DNA tests owning them. Also I did say women as well.

R-C.ed7400302b63b4442d04b5b2069cbcd4

I could envision a good Star Trek with nothing but black and female characters. I can't get past how stupid it all is. Everyone talks and behaves like it's one of those MTV high school sports movies.

None of the characters are believable. I don't buy any of them. Competence and leadership don't behave anything remotely close to what they show on screen. It's like that show Glee but in outer space.

Oh and literally every character on the show would post on Resetera, if you catch my drift.

The media and consumer shills in this thread still don't understand that Trek isn't about the storyline, but about values, characters and their interactions/dialogues. The specific stories and situations don't make much sense half of the time, what's interesting are the moral dilemma they represent and how the crew deals with it, through exchange of perspectives and rational debate.

The people who are pretending that season 4 feels like Roddenberry again, remember Trek only by the colorful uniforms and the pop-culture memes. It is nothing like classic Trek, not even TOS. The characters act like petulant children, the dialogue is braindead, the decisions moronic and the crew behaves as professionally as drunken tourists at a Mexican donkey show.

The only good thing coming out of this mess are the RLM commentaries.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Dammit, now you got me wanting to watch TLB again just to see if it holds up.

I really miss the entirely episodic shows where proper ensemble composition was an art form. Maybe these still exist on network TV which I've not watched in 5 years (seems like police and medical dramas dominate there). On streaming channels the serialized stuff has completely taken over.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The media and consumer shills in this thread still don't understand that Trek isn't about the storyline, but about values, characters and their interactions/dialogues. The specific stories and situations don't make much sense half of the time, what's interesting are the moral dilemma they represent and how the crew deals with it, through exchange of perspectives and rational debate.

The people who are pretending that season 4 feels like Roddenberry again, remember Trek only by the colorful uniforms and the pop-culture memes. It is nothing like classic Trek, not even TOS. The characters act like petulant children, the dialogue is braindead, the decisions moronic and the crew behaves as professionally as drunken tourists at a Mexican donkey show.

The only good thing coming out of this mess are the RLM commentaries.
Umm... Petulant children? Drunken tourists?

I truly don't think we've seen the same show... Unless you're going off RLM for your information on season 4.

That photo is everything wrong with Discovery. The body language says it all.

I wouldn't trust this crew on the Love Boat, much less a starship.

They're POSING for a picture... Being directed by a photographer. Been on enough shoots to see how the photographer directs his or her shoots.

jason10mm

Gold Member
They're POSING for a picture... Being directed by a photographer. Been on enough shoots to see how the photographer directs his or her shoots.
They are ACTORS representing their CHARACTERS in this photo, no? They are in full costume and make-up. They are arraigned in whatever passes for the chain of command in STD with the actress playing the captain in the center.

So if this is supposed to be a "look at the actors hanging out on set" it is a terrible choice. If it is "this is YOUR NEW STAR TREK BRIDGE CREW!!!!" promo shot then the lackadaisical posture, awkward hand positioning, and in general beta attitude by everyone betrays the intents of those who approved the photo for release.

And look at the platform lifts for the fish guy, yowzah!

Umm... Europa Mission and Martian colonies aren't the same thing.
The point is he's well versed in his family's big history, and then in this episode he knows all about this super important Europa mission, but somehow doesn't seem to know about this Picard was on the mission. Maybe I misheard the dialogue or something, but it seemed really stupid.

And of course she rages like she just lost a round of COD in the simulator, and has all these mental health deficiencies because apparently this is right after NASA just up and stopped requiring their astronauts to be in good mental health and have the ability to handle more mental stress than the average person. I guess they already did it to Starfleet officers, so why not NASA at this point?

Last edited:

ManaByte

The point is he's well versed in his family's big history, and then in this episode he knows all about this super important Europa mission, but somehow doesn't seem to know about this Picard was on the mission. Maybe I misheard the dialogue or something, but it seemed really stupid.

He explains that not much was known about her because historical records in the time leading up to First Contact is spotty due to the whole nuclear war thing that happens.

He explains that not much was known about her because historical records in the time leading up to First Contact is spotty due to the whole nuclear war thing that happens.
Yeah the historical records are just so spotty they don't even know who was even involved in arguably the most important exploration mission in 'early' spaceflight. At the very least a shoe-in for top 5. It also didn't make the Holy History of All Things Picard as handed down through the generations.

But we have a photo of Benjamin Sisko in a homeless riot the very same year.

And so long as I'm nerd-raging.... has it been revealed that the Dr. Soongs have just been cloning themselves throughout history? Or is that coming soon. Same fucking dude always a mad scientist... I get they need to get Brent Spiner his fucking welfare checks but at some point they're just going to have to write it in.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I always view British actors as better than American actors due to that accent (I assume).

Wonder if British people feel the same way about American actors.

ManaByte

Watch, they're going to go after the Outlander crowd and have Picard banging his great great great great aunt.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
ELNOR IS THAT YOU??!? I LOVE ELNOR FUCK EVERYONE ELSE, FUCK THE ENTIRE FUTURE. YOU'RE NOT ELNOR YOU FUCKING FRAUD. DID I MENTION HOW MUCH I LOVE ELNOR?

I dunno seems like a pretty great character to me.

For her, Elnor was killed yesterday. Not that much time has passed in-universe. So she's still angry. Still grieving. Remember, she helped Elnor get into Starfleet Academy and mentored him. He is a surrogate son to her since her own relationship with her actual son is done for.

For her, Elnor was killed yesterday. Not that much time has passed in-universe. So she's still angry. Still grieving. Remember, she helped Elnor get into Starfleet Academy and mentored him. He is a surrogate son to her since her own relationship with her actual son is done for.
Yeah, they can throw that in a couple of lines of dialogue... but it doesn't mean that the audience is obligated to buy it.

To me Elnor was a weirdo space elf who decapitated anyone who looked at Picard funny. I actually applaud the direction they've gone in regards to not decapitating or otherwise murdering people in every episode actually. And Elnor doesn't really fit the new vibe. I just can't be too sad that he's (surely temporarily) gone. Hell Picard is technically dead, and this show didn't even manage to make me have feels about that, and I've fucking loved that dude for 30 years. What chance does Elnor have?

Ultimately that's the only chance they had of me buying Raffi's grief... if we, the audience, actually missed Elnor too. Serious question, did anyone in the world post to their Facebook, "Oh my God they killed Elnor I can't believe it" like it was the Red Wedding or something?

I could just be a cynical bastard at this point of my life... but even the Star Wars sequels did a better job than Picard (and NuTrek in general) of getting me to empathize with the new characters.

Last edited:

What percentage of American TV + Film do you think the average Brit consumes?
A good deal. You guys make some great stuff and dominate the streaming services. On sheer weight of population and industry there is no doubt the most talent in America, but I would consider our finest individual examples on par. Personally I must watch 40-50% USA programming.
I was being a bit cheeky but I do not think your accents make you seem better actors as there is a wide array; also brits can be very snobby and judgemental over the various accents in our own country (they are diverse and plentiful) and aside from hicks and Newyorkers we probably couldn't judge your accents to the same degree we do ours (ie prejudice for regional accents meaning you are likely smart, rich, thief, stupid, aggressive, slut etc).

Forsythia

Raffi is godawful, I don't know if I hate her or Michael Burnham more right now. Goddamn new Trek is bad. It all seems like it's written by 14-year olds with no actual real-life experience who only live in a far-left bubble. There is no subtlety at all and it's all black and white. Trek has always dealt with real-life issues but I can't remember it being so blatant. It's a turn-off really.

Ma-Yuan

I really tried to like season 2 but it's just utter trash unbelievable trash this so far away from being good trek like the earth from alpha centauri... I mean Brent Spiner and John De Lance deliver for me with their acting but god every one else is just unbereable... Every one is out of character. They just shit on my childhood with this trash. 😢

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I still can't believe people are still brainwashed into believing she's the first black Captain in Star Trek.

Star Trek GIF

First black woman Captain headlining a Trek show. Not first black woman Captain period... That honor belongs to Madge Sinclair in TNG... Playing Geordi's mom.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
And hey guys, in case you missed it the first time... Guinan runs a bar at 10 Forward Avenue... That's her thing! I for one am looking forward to a scene in the future where Guinan is designing the Galaxy class starship and puts a bar in deck 10, forward section just to indulge her member berries of her old address.

This still makes no damn sense to me.

Do the writers think that Guinan just named it Ten Forward as a branding thing? It's 10 Forward because it's in deck 10 at the frontmost part of the ship!

There is no possible way to make sense of her having that bar with the same name in the past. I can't even come up with one plausible way to sort it out. And what the hell... in the 1890s Guinana looked exactly as she did on TNG, so who is this weird actress they put in her place? Insanity.

EDIT: and if anyone wants to seriuosly push some theory that Guinan had a role in making that bar on the Enterprise, it's already established that she didn't. Picard asked her to come aboard a full year after he become captain, but the bar was already in existence under the name "ten forward" during that time (we hear it called by name in the flashbacks to his first days as captain in All Good Things).

So there is simply no way to rescue this nonsense.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What does TrekGAF make of The Orville? The humor aspect turned me off from checking it out but it sounds like S2 has dropped a lot of it.

nush

Gold Member
What does TrekGAF make of The Orville? The humor aspect turned me off from checking it out but it sounds like S2 has dropped a lot of it.

It's a love letter to TNG. Not as good but very familiar and better than present day real Trek. I think the humor was there becuse it's by the Family Guy guy, and that's how it got greenlit. But it does get way toned down as things progress.

I enjoyed it. I'm okay with most of the humor, it is a bit like an extended Family Guy TNG skit at times, but at the same time the average Family Guy sci-fi reference has more reverence for the material than the Paramounts and Disneys of the world do when rebooting these franchises.

I would have rather seen Seth MacFarlane take control of TV Star Trek than fucking Kurtzman, that's for sure.

It is fab.

I was a little disappointed with the lack of humour a few episodes in, but as the characters develop and it hits tng quality episodes (which does not take long) you get a much smarter humour which does not jar with the setting.

It is a legitimate show in its' own right. Go watch it now!

I tried watching it but I can't stand the jokes. It has the heart in the right place though.

Man, Ep 5 didn't have anything to do with what they setup in ep 3/4 and those barely have anything to do with ep 1/2. At this point, I'm just in it to see how this trashfire burns itself out.

Also RLM on Ep 4/5:

I don't watch Picard and never will. But I watch every RLM video where they talk about it. It's very entertaining watching Mike go insane.

Last edited:

First season was pretty decent. Second season was pretty bad to be honest.
Almost every episode was about some relationship drama. It's almost as if MacFarlane went through some heartache or some sh*t.

Top Bottom