• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Picard S2 Premieres March 3, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Pike's show) Premieres May 5th

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I hate, hate what they've done to Star Trek beginning with Discovery. All of these shows are clearly made by people who only know the originals as something like an internet meme, deemed ripe for wrapping in our era's mind-numbing corporate version of nerd-culture.

Picard: S1 was easily the worst yet. I will watch season 2 just to mock it and drink to the demise of the great TNG, but I can't fathom how anyone could be excited to watch android-Picard continue to be played as if Patrick Stewart is the same man as his character, when in fact he is absolutely nothing like him, but he at least knew how to act a few decades ago.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Pyr4eQ.jpg

Star Trek is just another girlboss-face meme now, hurray

ManaByte

I kind of liked Picard S1, but I fear I was the only one! Looking forward to S2 to see where they take it.

Eh, it looks like they're doing Voyage Home but in the 21st Century.

Strange New Worlds though has the best Pike in all of Star Trek and is episodic as opposed to serial like the other shows.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Star Trek Picard made me regret ever becoming a Star Trek fan. The amount of heartbreak and depression that show gave me is second only to Doctor Who.

I don‘t wish to cry about what has become of my childhood shows anymore.

I thought that things wouldn’t become worse than Discovery, but Picard made the former look like a masterpiece.

We still have old classic / prime Trek to fall back on, and maybe one day Paramount will hire some decent show runners with half a brain and respect for the lore and all the work that went into everything before it.

CGiRanger

Banned
Star Trek Picard made me regret ever becoming a Star Trek fan. The amount of heartbreak and depression that show gave me is second only to Doctor Who.

I don‘t wish to cry about what has become of my childhood shows anymore.
I thought that things wouldn’t become worse than Discovery, but Picard made the former look like a masterpiece.

We still have old classic / prime Trek to fall back on, and maybe one day Paramount will hire some decent show runners with half a brain and respect for the lore and all the work that went into everything before it.
Discovery could at least be ignored because it was put into a strange position within the overall Trek timeline.

But Picard was a full sequel to the TNG/DS9/VOY universe and well, they pretty much wrecked it as bad as they could. It's basically what The Last Jedi did to many Star Wars fans for Star Trek. They turned Picard from someone to admire into someone to pity and barely recognize, among other things.

Great. They have black woman space Jesus, a pushover senile Picard and now they're going to defile Janeway. Just nuke the whole franchise with an anti-matter dilithium bomb already.
I mean, most people's overall opinion of Janeway is pretty low, even though I still think she's the best female captain by far compared to the current crop.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Picard first season was some proper garbage on practically every level.

I hope with Q, the next season will move forwards and even where Q will take over.

It's a shame they parked the franchises for such long, they should have made picard like 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I mean, most people's overall opinion of Janeway is pretty low, even though I still think she's the best female captain by far compared to the current crop.
People be giving her that hindsight redemption. It's kind of like saying, "ya know what the Star Wars Prequel trilogy actually wasn't so bad!" after watching the new ones.

CGiRanger

Banned
Picard first season was some proper garbage on practically every level.

I hope with Q, the next season will move forwards and even where Q will take over.

It's a shame they parked the franchises for such long, they should have made picard like 10 years ago.
Yeah. Patrick Stewart in particular aged so fast in the past 5 years. And of course it may have not been driven by as much woke ideology 10 years ago (I recall the storyline of S1 was "inspired" by illegal immigration and "The Wall")

People be giving her that hindsight redemption. It's kind of like saying, "ya know what the Star Wars Prequel trilogy actually wasn't so bad!" after watching the new ones.
I can admit a lot of my Voyager enjoyment is nostalgia-driven due to enjoying it a reasonable amount when it originally aired.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Discovery is good from Season 3 on... I'm enjoying Season 4!

Lower Decks is funny as heck!

I really enjoyed Picard... Excited they got some TNG fans like Marc Bernardin to write episodes for S2!

Looking forward to Strange New Worlds

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Discovery is good from Season 3 on... I'm enjoying Season 4!

Lower Decks is funny as heck!

I really enjoyed Picard... Excited they got some TNG fans like Marc Bernardin to write episodes for S2!

Looking forward to Strange New Worlds

This.

Star Trek has never been better. I fucking cried with joy at Piccard. Hopefully it continues for a few more seasons.

Kenpachii

Yeah. Patrick Stewart in particular aged so fast in the past 5 years. And of course it may have not been driven by as much woke ideology 10 years ago (I recall the storyline of S1 was "inspired" by illegal immigration and "The Wall")

I can admit a lot of my Voyager enjoyment is nostalgia-driven due to enjoying it a reasonable amount when it originally aired.

Older star treks inspired you to move forwards and to improve and problem solve and grow up and leadership ability's + social problem solving with a strong cast.

Example:

507610869cf2ba9109e4b45d3f79c49c.png

And with that these captains and other characters inspired a bucket load of people to get into certain professionals or move forwards or get motivated.

New star treks teach you, woman are strong, everybody is gay, sex, kicking white males makes woman powerful, angry white female is best, period guys its a thing!, don't ask questions just consume, with a ragdol cast that can't act for shit.

I have no clue how anybody that watched the early shows doesn't get straight up vomit reactions to the point they just shut it down because its that shit.

Picard is old as shit, he comes over to me as weak, fragile, his stare into the abyss makes it look like he's almost half zoned out most of the time, how is this supposed to inspire me or how am i supposed to care for it? i don't. Give me a strong captain and move away from picard entirely. sadly the show is called picard so yea gg with that Einsteins.

And about woke, star trek has always been woke, just check the cast again and u will see what. However the woke was more superficial rather then full blown crusade preachers that they got going on right now. So it went from easy to tolerate towards unwatchable.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Older star treks inspired you to move forwards and to improve and problem solve and grow up and leadership ability's + social problem solving with a strong cast.

New star treks teach you, woman are strong, everybody is gay, sex, kicking white males makes woman powerful, angry white female is best, period guys its a thing!, don't ask questions just consume, with a ragdol cast that can't act for shit.

I have no clue how anybody that watched the early shows doesn't get straight up vomit reactions to the point they just shut it down because its that shit.

Literally NONE of that second paragraph is true! Are you high?

Kenpachii

Literally NONE of that second paragraph is true! Are you high?

Watched that shit show with that other star trek a year + ago, maybe i mixed them up. However both where trash and frankly it was riddled with this garbage. The cast that was actually good got killed of fast to be replaced with a ragdoll garbage cast that nobody cares for. The only good actor left on discovery for example is the black chick, everything else, specially that red haired girl is fucking trash.

I will give picard a second chance because i loved his TNG performance with season 2, as i hope they dump the entire new cast and replace them including the writers, and see how Q holds up, as Q is always good fun. Endless possibilitys with him, but if they again start moving off the rails i will ignore it much like discovery for the rest of the days, i rather rewatch older star treks.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

If you liked the juvenile insertion of current-year's political parameters all over the first season, you'll love seeing Picard-droid travel back to our time in order to stop the future of Starfleet from becoming, I guess, somehow even more boringly totalitarian and evil than it was in the prior episodes.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Watched that shit show with that other star trek a year + ago, maybe i mixed them up. However both where trash and frankly it was riddled with this garbage. The cast that was actually good got killed of fast to be replaced with a ragdoll garbage cast that nobody cares for. The only good actor left on discovery for example is the black chick, everything else, specially that red haired girl is fucking trash.

I will give picard a second chance because i loved his TNG performance with season 2, as i hope they dump the entire new cast and replace them including the writers, and see how Q holds up, as Q is always good fun. Endless possibilitys with him, but if they again start moving off the rails i will ignore it much like discovery for the rest of the days, i rather rewatch older star treks.

Fair enough.

I never saw the first 2 seasons of Discovery. But I've immensely enjoyed seasons 3 and 4 (which is resuming next month)

I think the Kelpian first officer is really good (the tall lanky alien) as is Stamets (chief engineer). The new character, Book, is good! I like his story arc this season.

theclaw135

Banned
What decade have I landed in? NOW people are catching on a show set after Nemesis was going to be a snoozer?
But give Picard a break. He's a tired old man, put through the wringer by Q's games and the Borg.

clem84

Gold Member
Picard: S1 was easily the worst yet. I will watch season 2 just to mock it and drink to the demise of the great TNG, but I can't fathom how anyone could be excited to watch android-Picard continue to be played as if Patrick Stewart is the same man as his character,
How long do you think this will last with Q being around next season?
when in fact he is absolutely nothing like him, but he at least knew how to act a few decades ago.
Patrick Stewart is not the same actor he once was. At this point it's just fan service, but I'm just happy to have him again in a Star Trek show. All things considered I thought S1 was pretty good. I hope Stewart will be in good enough shape to do a few more seasons.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
LMAO. FAT GUINAN!!!

Seriously though. In TNG, Guinan's appearance never changed in hundreds of years. So all of a sudden she's now different?

Whoopi is 66 years old. TNG ended in the 90s... She obviously didn't expect to play the character again and given her age, weight loss wouldn't come very easily... She'd need a year of training to lose it. Possibly more.

Y'all act like the actors aren't supposed to age.

Xenon

Star Trek Picard is Trek without the unbridled optimism of humanity held by its creator. It's watchable but its like eating a dish without its key ingredient.

I haven't checked out Pike's show yet. I keep hearing good things.

Last edited:
Star Trek Picard is Trek without the unbridled optimism of humanity held by its creator. It's watchable but its like eating a dish without its key ingredient.

I haven't checked out Pike's show yet. I keep hearing good things.
A touch of real human emotions and motivations in DS9, Voy, and Ent weren't unwelcome, but they weren't utterly fucking cynical like NuTrek.

It's like a buddy of mine who turns into a full-blown lefty Nihilist whenever he smokes weed, like, "Bro, I love you, but you are a fucking labor to be around when you're high."

clem84

Gold Member
Picard season 2 trailer. It looks good! It makes perfect sense for Guinan to be there because she could sense changes in the timeline (Yesterday's Enterprise).

Very much looking forward to this.

ManaByte

Picard season 2 trailer. It looks good! It makes perfect sense for Guinan to be there because she could sense changes in the timeline (Yesterday's Enterprise).

Very much looking forward to this.

So is Spiner playing a Soong ancestor in 2024?

Top Bottom