• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Picard Season 3 |OT| The Next Generation's Fifth Movie

The season has been a narrative mess but the fan service has been a 10/10. With this writing crew it's about the best one can hope for. Should be an exciting finale.

All the fan service in the world couldn't help me finish the season. Is it better than the usual NuTrek? Sure, but that doesn't really mean much. That said, Episode 4 is the best piece of NuTrek ever produced by a WIDE margin, so once Episode 5 rolled around and Raffi showed up again I was like "you know what, I'm okay with ending it here."

Hope the season sticks the landing for those of you that enjoyed it.

Hope the season sticks the landing for those of you that enjoyed it.
Eff that I hope it's worse than These are the Voyages... or the final season of Game of Thrones.

Not likely. But a man can dream.

Destroy Burn It Down GIF by Nicole

Last edited:

Power Pro

So finally watched the last episode. I kinda wanna just keep this short and sweet.

It's not perfect, I'm sure there are ways I could nitpick the writing if I really wanted to for the season. But ya know...it's the best I've felt about Star Trek in decades. I smiled when it was over, which is something worth valuing. I never thought I'd feel this way after the first two seasons. Great end for the TNG crew, and I don't know if they'll do more with Jack in the future, but I'd be willing to check it out.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
On the Shit-O-Meter:
Picard Season 1: :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop: (5/5 Top Tier Shit)
Picard Season 2: :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop: (5/5 Top Tier Shit)
Picard Season 3: :poop::poop::poop::lollipop_poop: (3.5/5 Pretty Shit)

Still a farcry from quality Star Trek, but at least its a step in the right direction. Who knows, at the rate they are going we may have Spock's Brain level star trek writing in 20 years again. Probably 30 years before we can get actual good writing again.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
And OF COURSE Geordi would restore the D as a hobby and be saving it as a surprise for his friends.
With how they mentioned nobody liking the Enterprise D at the beginning (The Fat One) it gave me the (The Enterprise D is here!) feeling when they first went to the star ship museum and I honestly thought they would be leaving with it.
instead they got the cloaking device which deflated my excitement.
but the talk about what was in the Hanger got me suspicious.
but the moment they needed a ship that wasn't "connected" in the last episode I knew it was gonna be the Enterprise D.
it was awesome and it still "regardless of people don't like it" the best Enterprise imo.

Nico_D

It was not perfect but far closer than Star Trek has been for decades. Character moments were just so nice, these people have chemistry unlike any other new Star Trek show - Strange New Worlds has some but nah.

I'm very happy with this.

Oberstein

I don't know where to start... There is so much to say, but overall I have mixed feelings.

It's far from being the disaster of the two previous seasons, and it finally feels like someone who knows the license, avoiding pitfalls in the way TNG characters are portrayed.

Now there are a ton of things that are wrong...

- The whole idea of a fleet doing a cheerleader ballet is completely ridiculous

- I'm sick of the Borg, and Matalas made a bit of a not-so-digestible mix of what they stand for. This idea of evolution instead of assimilation is also stupid. Kerrigan/Queen Borg has become an over the top villain in the license... it has to stop.

- This way of assimilating remotely with a code in the teleporters is too weird and mostly unlikely. Assimilation becomes a mere tattoo on the face, and then it disappears like magic... "come on, it's lunch time". We lose the dramatic aspect of the assimilation, now it looks like they caught a cold and they are better...

- The space dock is taking a lot of damage from a whole fleet for 45 minutes, it's ridiculous. A dozen Romulan and Cardassian ships crushed the planetary layer in the Gamma Quadrant in a few shots... now the station is taking thousands of phasers/photon torpedoes (of which Starfleet ships apparently have an endless supply)... the station should have lasted 5 minutes, no more.

- The shapeshifters were used as henchmen... for nothing in the end, a completely unlikely alliance and who knows how they managed to get in contact with the Borg.

We could also add some dramatic scenes between Picard and Jack, it's way too sentimental. All the budget has clearly gone into this last episode, to the point where it's unnecessarily stretched out for 10 episodes. The "mystery box" concept is still boring, especially since we can summarize the season in "the Borg are vengeful, they want to destroy Starfleet"... Okay. This idea of a big finale with lots of explosions is anything but the dna of the show, but more of the movies and Nutrek.

So yes, Picard and his buddies play poker at the end, it's cool, it's fan-service, it reminds the last episode of TNG. Ok, the Enterprise D is beautiful (and shows how ugly the Titan is), and Ok, it's better directed and it's cool to see legitimate actors in their roles again... but it's not enough for me. The license can't just be about fan service and mystery boxes.

Q magically coming back, well at least Matalas shows how bad season 2 was.

If only they had treated star wars with the same amount of respect as this season. The plot can be easily nitpicked but they nailed the characters and that's what counts. Marvellous send off.

Matalas dialogue is cringy af. fr fr. no cap.

I was just joking about bringing Q back, but they had to go full nostalgia-bukkake.

The real Mad-Eye Moody was stored in the bottom of a magical chest by Barty Crouch Jr. Did we really need to hop through these hoops to keep an elderly Tuvok alive in the Trek universe? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The whole "every captain needs to have their own catchphrase of how to go to warp" is my least favorite 'bit' in all of Star Trek.

Titan is now an Enterprise under the command of a mentally unstable lipstick lesbian couple? That's supposed to be your spinoff? Swing and a miss. I also didn't enjoy the Shaw-logram caving on the "Seven" thing. Annika Hansen is just a better name. And it's not like she wants to be a Borg and rejoin the collective anyway.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Jack"

"Jack who?"

"Jacques Picard!"

Starfleet Borg-Swarm Battle of the Spacedock wasn't good either. Not even mildly engaging. It was like that scene in the earlier season where Riker and 3,000 ships show up to scare off the Romulans or whoever it was.

The Enterprise D is still great. A crime they killed it off in Generations and replaced it with the boring Ent-E aesthetic. I'll say this, the bit where they strafed the Borg cube and Beverly was spamming all the weapons systems.. that was good. But that's like the max that full-sized Starfleet starships should do. It may have even been a little over the top. Like 11 out of 10.

But then you have Data taking the Millenium Falcon deep into the Death Star, Tokyo Drifting all over the place. That's like a 100 out of 10. Pointlessly over-the-top. They whiffed on that dialogue too... Data's whole emotional "gut" appeal. A "Geordi, my positronic net is still capable of processing 37 quintillion navigational parameters per microsecond" was the play.

A little Worf comedy goes a long way. But aside from his heartfelt scene with Raffi (which falls flat because it's Raffi... like hey if ANYONE here likes Raffi please let your voice be heard, let me know what you like about her, because so far I haven't encountered anyone who enjoys her character), he's played 100% for comedy... he's practically Jar-Jar Binks.

ManaByte

Gold Member

“I wanted it to feel like a proper send-off in the way that I felt watching ‘Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country,’” Matalas says of the final film to feature the full original “Star Trek” cast. “In this case, we had 10 hours, so we could do better. We could give each one of these characters more, and end in a sense of family in ways that they didn’t have time in a two-hour movie to do.”

“In the most fanboy sense, I wanted to place the action figure set neatly and safely back on the shelf,” Matalas says. “If it’s the last we see of them, we see them in a wonderful grand moment together around the poker table. Not mourning the loss of Data. The Enterprise-D not crashed, but in a museum. Knowing that there is a bright future for ‘Star Trek’ and for their families. For me, that felt important as a fan, to feel like that’s where we left ‘The Next Generation.’”

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Don't know why but I actually thought the Titan was going to be bigger then the Enterprise D.
Obviously I was wrong, the Enterprise D is big damn ship
Also it's weird the newer ships look...older in comparison.
It's a shame we didn't get 3 Season of this(and it would have probably ran longer too)
Overall while not perfect I really enjoyed it.

Vyse

Gold Member
Worf snoring on the bridge after the big fight was awesome! I really enjoyed this last season. Felt that it was very respectful to the OG actors and really loved the last scene.

Last edited:

Power Pro

I tried watching the Angry Joe review of the finale, and I just couldn't make it past 10 minutes or so.

Look, I'm not gonna sit here and tell you this season was the best thing ever, but when you've been given such utter trash like Discovery, and Picard S1 and S2...S3 was like Shakesphere in comparison. Writing is not the only thing that make up a show or movie. There are things that S3 of Picard did that most people behind Star Trek didn't know wtf they were doing. I'm talking about things like coherent space battles that the audience can watch and enjoy. Character values and motivation...this season of Picard actually showed some respect for life which was painfully absent before. The writing of the characters were good enough that it felt like the TNG crew again, even moreso than the TNG movies did.

Alex in the AngryJoe group is such a fucking snob, and I can't stand the nitpicking, because he thinks he knows good writing or something. I am one of the biggest critics around, and don't watch most of what's on TV because I think it's usually terrible, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna listen to some idiot who thinks tabletop RPGs have worthwhile stories, and then have him nitpick this season because he thinks he's smart.

nush

Gold Member
Right so, end of season 2 the Borg got taught love and are good or some bullshit like that.

So who the fuck was this Borg queen?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The fan service was nice, hard to complain there with seeing some final shots of crew.

I agree that Data was wrongly written, but oh well.

My biggest problem is the idea of setting up Seven and Raffi for a new show. You have got to be kidding me… that’s their play for a follow-up? How does Raffi keep failing upward? She was even worse than Elnor the sword elf, and that’s saying something. She hasn’t been in a single shot yet where here mere presence didn’t drain at least 50% of the scene’s potential away.

The idea of a Titan (well, now Enterprise) follow up was somewhat appealing back when we had Shaw. He’s a real character, the only one they managed to invent across 3 seasons of attempts. But without him, and with Raffi at the top (by the way: Starfleet would never do that, having the captain & 1st Off be two people with a personal emotional relationship), the show would be categorically unwatchable. I’m now completely against the idea of allowing it to be greenlit, just let Star Trek die with some shred of dignity left.

(Lol at Q returning. “You think so linear” this sounds like a River Song kind of thing from Doctor Who now)

Last edited:
“I wanted it to feel like a proper send-off in the way that I felt watching ‘Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country,’” Matalas says of the final film to feature the full original “Star Trek” cast. “In this case, we had 10 hours, so we could do better. We could give each one of these characters more, and end in a sense of family in ways that they didn’t have time in a two-hour movie to do.”
Nah you didn't do better :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:, presumptuous little twerp!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
As a narrative, it had its problems, but as a send off to the TNG crew, it was fucking marvellous. But as I said before, I don't expect anyone who wasn't around for TNG from the start to get that. This entire season was made for us old bastards.

I very much doubt the future is going to be all that bright, with Kuntzman still at the helm, so I'll take this as the last good Star Trek I'm getting for a long time.

I got to see the D flying in a death star style run through a borg ship. Fuck me, I'm happy.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I got to see the D flying in a death star style run through a borg ship. Fuck me, I'm happy.

Speaking of that, it moved the Borg even closer to the pre-TNG Michael Jackson film Captain EO, which also featured a shot of flying into the ship death-star style.

I'm still amazed by how much of the Borg derived from this old short film. Clearly the entire aesthetic of them and their ship, and then even the Borg queen was case of going back to this well and drawing yet another element.

Forsythia

Never would I have guessed this season would be this good after season 1 and 2. And of course it has its flaws, and it's not truly classic Trek, but I'll take it. A great send off to one of the finest crews. Too bad DS9, VOY and ENT won't get this.

Power Pro

Speaking of that, it moved the Borg even closer to the pre-TNG Michael Jackson film Captain EO, which also featured a shot of flying into the ship death-star style.

I'm still amazed by how much of the Borg derived from this old short film. Clearly the entire aesthetic of them and their ship, and then even the Borg queen was case of going back to this well and drawing yet another element.

https://they-must-adapt-to-survive.ytmnd.com/

So they never resolved the storyline about those ancient machines from the first season? They just made a whole season about those and now completely dumped it? I realize that got a lot of criticism especially considering how close it was to Mass Effect but they should have resolved that.

Also, I wish they would someday resolve the whole Temporal Cold War from Enterprise. I know a lot of people did not like that Star Trek spinoff but I really enjoyed it, especially the whole Xindi arc. I wish they would at least go more into the Temporal Cold War in the newer spinoffs.

QSD

I'm a big TNG fan, just finished the last EP of S3 yesterday. Overall it was very nostaligic, crossing over into the fanservicy a bit, but I guess with the TNG crew a bit of fan service is deserved. I'm probably one of the only ones in this thread who didn't hate Picard S1-2, it wasn't great but both seasons had their inspired moments and interesting characters.
Raffey was a weird one to bring along to this season though, I liked her character more in previous seasons, when it was more apparent she was there to contrast with Picard the idealistic speechmaker who never really struggled in life in the way she had. In S3 she stands out a bit compared to the slightly larger-than-life TNG crew, but pairing her with Worf was a good choice as they both have struggles with anger and impatience.
It was a shame they killed off Shaw, he was one of the most compelling new characters, a spinoff show with him and seven of nine would have been good.

I didn't like Picard's son, he just never really coalesced into a believable character for me. The plotline with the Shrike was OK, I didn't hate the main villain lady and the showdown where she started executing people on the brigde of the titan was a dark turn for the otherwise pretty breezy vibe of old TNG. The 'Borg programmed Jack' plotline that followed was lame IMHO, but overall I enjoyed the last episodes anyway.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm a big TNG fan, just finished the last EP of S3 yesterday. Overall it was very nostaligic, crossing over into the fanservicy a bit, but I guess with the TNG crew a bit of fan service is deserved. I'm probably one of the only ones in this thread who didn't hate Picard S1-2, it wasn't great but both seasons had their inspired moments and interesting characters.
Raffey was a weird one to bring along to this season though, I liked her character more in previous seasons, when it was more apparent she was there to contrast with Picard the idealistic speechmaker who never really struggled in life in the way she had. In S3 she stands out a bit compared to the slightly larger-than-life TNG crew, but pairing her with Worf was a good choice as they both have struggles with anger and impatience.
It was a shame they killed off Shaw, he was one of the most compelling new characters, a spinoff show with him and seven of nine would have been good.

I didn't like Picard's son, he just never really coalesced into a believable character for me. The plotline with the Shrike was OK, I didn't hate the main villain lady and the showdown where she started executing people on the brigde of the titan was a dark turn for the otherwise pretty breezy vibe of old TNG. The 'Borg programmed Jack' plotline that followed was lame IMHO, but overall I enjoyed the last episodes anyway.

I liked season 1... Season 2 was ok but this season 3 blew both out the water!

The changeling villain is the daughter of General Chang from Undiscovered Country... Which is what this season is supposed to be for the TNG crew... THEIR undiscovered country. Not a season 8. It's a 10 hour movie which is why It doesn't feel like the old show.

Shaw was complex... Kinda like Sisko in season 1's "Emissary". I finally understood why he was such a dick to Picard and Riker and ... More or less to Seven in episode 1.

I like how sparingly they used Raffi. Michelle Hurd is a great actress but playing somewhat ADD isn't her speed. When she came off the high and was paired with Worf, that was when I liked her better this season. She didn't seem so angry at everyone else anymore... Which was good because her being angry at Picard both previous seasons was wearing thin.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
For a season which tried so hard (and in some areas, succeeded) to be a respectful end to TNG, the ending with Seven, Raffi, and Jack at the front of the next Enterprise was an enormous insult.

The Enterprise is the flagship of the fleet. If any ship must be commanded by the best, it’s this one. You don’t pick Seven, whose total lack of emotional control is disqualifying for any command, and you pick Raffi who has a recurring drug problem, general lack of respect, and a poor record. And you also don’t give Jack an instant role just because he was hugged by dad in time to change his mind about destroying humanity.

Those scenes are a joke. They ruin the good will of the season, and I think (from interviews too like recent Ready Room) that the Seven obsession is a Terry Matalas thing, more than a little suspicious.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
For a season which tried so hard (and in some areas, succeeded) to be a respectful end to TNG, the ending with Seven, Raffi, and Jack at the front of the next Enterprise was an enormous insult.

The Enterprise is the flagship of the fleet. If any ship must be commanded by the best, it’s this one. You don’t pick Seven, whose total lack of emotional control is disqualifying for any command, and you pick Raffi who has a recurring drug problem, general lack of respect, and a poor record. And you also don’t give Jack an instant role just because he was hugged by dad in time to change his mind about destroying humanity.

Those scenes are a joke. They ruin the good will of the season, and I think (from interviews too like recent Ready Room) that the Seven obsession is a Terry Matalas thing, more than a little suspicious.

Matalas explains that for him the Enterprise is best when it's the underdog, not when it's the all singing, all dancing, biggest and most powerful ship in the fleet. It makes for better drama when it's easier to have the ship in considerable peril.

As for the crew, Seven and Shaw were the obvious choices for captain and first officer, with Crusher acting as the third member of the trio. Would have been a great combination, but they decided Raffi would be a better idea. I can almost guarantee you this was an intervention by Kuntzman.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I watched half of season 1 and gave up. After hearing promising things about 3, I watched a recap of 1 and 2, then binged 3 this week. Loved it! So happy they didn't kill off anyone from the OG TNG crew. I embrace the nostalgia manipulation.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Can I jump into Picard at S3 or do I need to have watched the previous seasons, I tried and failed to get into it and when I heard it was generally awful never bothered but it seems like S3 was pretty damn good

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Can I jump into Picard at S3 or do I need to have watched the previous seasons, I tried and failed to get into it and when I heard it was generally awful never bothered but it seems like S3 was pretty damn good
They reference some bits from them, but no not really. I did not even finish S2 and tried to forget that and S1… I think so did Paramount and those who wrote S3… it is so so so much better than the other ones. It was s great Trek series and really nice send off to the TNG crew.

Out of curiosity... Someone can answer with a simple yes or no. Did they kill off any of the tng crew?
No.
They resurrect one. One that they already killed off in a previous season... despite the fact that he was already dead to begin with :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Star Trek Data GIF

Or actually Yes.
If you count Ro Laren
Season 3 Reveal GIF by Paramount+

Last edited:
Top Bottom