• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds |OT| Seeking Them Out

jason10mm

Gold Member
New episode will be released in just a couple of hours or so. It looks like it'll be the last episode of the season and will be about the Gorn.
The Gorn....you mean that race of savage, technologically primitive but biologically advanced, reliant on hand to hand in an era of ranged weapons, aliens? Starfleet knows who to call....
LXHnyQR.jpg

The Gorn....you mean that race of savage, technologically primitive but biologically advanced, reliant on hand to hand in an era of ranged weapons, aliens? Starfleet knows who to call....
LXHnyQR.jpg
Not exactly technologically primitive. The Gorn ships were tearing up the Enterprise.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Not exactly technologically primitive. The Gorn ships were tearing up the Enterprise.
Was it a gorn MADE ship, or just one they stole? I remember the Gorn from Starfleet Battles but forget in the lore if they are the creators or just lifted it from someone else. The way SNW presents the Gorn (versus the TOS version, I forget if we've really seen them elsewhere) it doesn't seem like a viable way to maintain a high tech society, but maybe that was just the baby gorns acting that way. The way that battleship blew up a scout ship they THOUGHT was commandeered in S1 does suggest a pretty low respect for life, but maybe it was more Samurai-esque than straight savagery.

Was it a gorn MADE ship, or just one they stole? I remember the Gorn from Starfleet Battles but forget in the lore if they are the creators or just lifted it from someone else. The way SNW presents the Gorn (versus the TOS version, I forget if we've really seen them elsewhere) it doesn't seem like a viable way to maintain a high tech society, but maybe that was just the baby gorns acting that way. The way that battleship blew up a scout ship they THOUGHT was commandeered in S1 does suggest a pretty low respect for life, but maybe it was more Samurai-esque than straight savagery.
It's a Gorn made ship because they have a unique way of communicating with each other by flashing the lights on their ship. It's never been hinted that they steal ships in the show so it can be assumed they're technologically advanced, just kind of primitive otherwise.

I mean, the Ferengi and Klingons don't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed and yet they have advanced technology.

Plus, we've only seen babies in the show so far and immature Gorn. We have yet to meet an adult.

Actually the new episode is supposed to be up today. I haven't watched it yet so maybe we'll get to see one.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's a Gorn made ship because they have a unique way of communicating with each other by flashing the lights on their ship. It's never been hinted that they steal ships in the show so it can be assumed they're technologically advanced, just kind of primitive otherwise.

I mean, the Ferengi and Klingons don't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed and yet they have advanced technology.

Plus, we've only seen babies in the show so far and immature Gorn. We have yet to meet an adult.

Actually the new episode is supposed to be up today. I haven't watched it yet so maybe we'll get to see one.
Sure, not that it really matters where the ships come from.

But if the Gorn are going to be deeply explored, I imagine such an aggressive race, willing to kill their own, and who have such a crazy breeding scheme dependent on other sapient species with only a few hatchlings surviving, would be based on something like Sparta. There you have the Spartan Elites reigning in a much larger population of helot serf/slaves that are actually doing most of the work. So you would have some sort of Gorn sub-race or even a whole other subservient species under the Gorn boot. Maybe loss of this slave race is driving their expansion now.

Also possible the whole gorn baby thing was just inspired by the Green Martians of Barsoom with a somewhat similar strict egg survival process. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they have 'tribal' groups and behaviors much like the Tharks.

Watched the final episode of season 2 and it ends in a cliffhanger but I won't spoil anything more.

So it's probably going to be a year more before we get the conclusion. That's a long time to wait.

Anyways, only other thing I'll spoil is you get to see adult Gorn in a space suit and it's pretty damn cool looking.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Eh, I'm a little torn on the second season. It's a pretty fun show to watch and at least tonally it's still more acceptable than whatever Discovery and Picard were doing in their initial seasons, but the writing gets progressively more idiotic with each new episode.

Oh, so Uhura can hallucinate subliminal messages from some micro-aliens, and conveniently no one else but her can see it or even prove that she didn't just go mental, and now she tells the captain that they should blow up a gigantic space station that has considerable value for the entire Federation, and her entire case essentially boils down to 'trust me bro'? And then Pike doesn't even give it more than 10 seconds of consideration before BLOWING IT THE FUCK UP?

Jesus, that was one of the most retarded things I ever saw. Absolutely terrible writing.

I also don't know if it's the second season's writing or was the dialogue always this grating. It's not like that all the time, but I started noticing how every character is often just clowning around and has a very quippy dialogue, even if it's not appropriate in a given situation. Like, I don't mind if the pilot lady says something funny from time to time, but in this season, literally everyone on the bridge acts like they're in a frat house and no one's taking their job seriously.

Whenever I try to remember the dialogue from the show, all I picture in my head is Pike slouched in the captain's chair and scratching his balls, Uhura hanging in the back and doing her nails, Spock quietly getting black-out drunk in the background, and the pilot chick is playing poker at the helm. Like, come on, you can have scenes where the characters are more casual and have some entertaining conversations, but when they're at work and shit isn't crazy, they should at least try acting like professionals. What is this, The Orville or Star Trek?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Eh, I'm a little torn on the second season. It's a pretty fun show to watch and at least tonally it's still more acceptable than whatever Discovery and Picard were doing in their initial seasons, but the writing gets progressively more idiotic with each new episode.

Oh, so Uhura can hallucinate subliminal messages from some micro-aliens, and conveniently no one else but her can see it or even prove that she didn't just go mental, and now she tells the captain that they should blow up a gigantic space station that has considerable value for the entire Federation, and her entire case essentially boils down to 'trust me bro'? And then Pike doesn't even give it more than 10 seconds of consideration before BLOWING IT THE FUCK UP?

Jesus, that was one of the most retarded things I ever saw. Absolutely terrible writing.

I also don't know if it's the second season's writing or was the dialogue always this grating. It's not like that all the time, but I started noticing how every character is often just clowning around and has a very quippy dialogue, even if it's not appropriate in a given situation. Like, I don't mind if the pilot lady says something funny from time to time, but in this season, literally everyone on the bridge acts like they're in a frat house and no one's taking their job seriously.

Whenever I try to remember the dialogue from the show, all I picture in my head is Pike slouched in the captain's chair and scratching his balls, Uhura hanging in the back and doing her nails, Spock quietly getting black-out drunk in the background, and the pilot chick is playing poker at the helm. Like, come on, you can have scenes where the characters are more casual and have some entertaining conversations, but when they're at work and shit isn't crazy, they should at least try acting like professionals. What is this, The Orville or Star Trek?
Yeah, I think these are all legit concerns, though for Uhura at least there were other folks with the same "visions" IIRC. My issue with that ep was A, was destroying the refinery really necessary versus shutting it down (I know it was somewhat broken but really?) and B. you'd think would prompt a VERY serious discussion about whether or not these aliens infect ALL sources of dilithium, if so, WTF do we do? and if not, how aggressively do we try to STOP their spread to other sources of dilithium? SNW teases what could be a great moral discussion (analogous to whaling for oil I suppose) but then has to burn run time with endless character introspection on the B plot instead of laying down some food for thought. Granted, even TOS had issues like this, how many "we would like to have some pet humans to live in luxury with us" aliens did they meet that were destroyed instead of a "hey, there are BILLIONS of humans out there, there have gonna be a few million AT LEAST that would come live here voluntarily" option?

Tonally SNW has wider swings. They can be quite jokey until Gorn start shredding red shirts. I think the shows polish fights the cheeky nature, it just looks SO GOOD, the hammy parts don't jive. Plus the season is just polar opposite episodes, we are missing the middle 10 "just the meat" ones that serve to ground the world, better establish how characters normally react, define the usual left/right boundaries, and really "earn" stuff like the singing episode.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yeah, I think these are all legit concerns, though for Uhura at least there were other folks with the same "visions" IIRC. My issue with that ep was A, was destroying the refinery really necessary versus shutting it down (I know it was somewhat broken but really?) and B. you'd think would prompt a VERY serious discussion about whether or not these aliens infect ALL sources of dilithium, if so, WTF do we do? and if not, how aggressively do we try to STOP their spread to other sources of dilithium? SNW teases what could be a great moral discussion (analogous to whaling for oil I suppose) but then has to burn run time with endless character introspection on the B plot instead of laying down some food for thought. Granted, even TOS had issues like this, how many "we would like to have some pet humans to live in luxury with us" aliens did they meet that were destroyed instead of a "hey, there are BILLIONS of humans out there, there have gonna be a few million AT LEAST that would come live here voluntarily" option?

Tonally SNW has wider swings. They can be quite jokey until Gorn start shredding red shirts. I think the shows polish fights the cheeky nature, it just looks SO GOOD, the hammy parts don't jive. Plus the season is just polar opposite episodes, we are missing the middle 10 "just the meat" ones that serve to ground the world, better establish how characters normally react, define the usual left/right boundaries, and really "earn" stuff like the singing episode.
Yeah, that other guy who died was their way of getting around the problem of blowing up the station based solely on one person's word, but it was still a pretty sudden decision. In a better show, they would at least have a meeting in the briefing room and tried to come up with a clever solution with plenty of technobabble to make it sound legit. Or something... anything. But yeah, as you said, they usually spend too much screen time bullshitting around with character drama and as a result they have to speed past the actually interesting stuff.

Oh well. I still have a couple of episodes to go, and I'm dreading the one where they sing. It sounds like it could be a cringe fest, lol.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna have a rewatch of TNG after this one. Feels like a good time to have a fifth rewatch of that series.
commander-riker-commander-biker.gif

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I said the same things.
Add week 10, hey Admiral, you know that war the Enterprise was suppose to avoid starting? ....

My review of season 2:

It was great, the cast is gelling, it had a few clunkers, but overal I was excited to tune in every week. Between Picard season 3 and this, I havn't been this excited for Trek in over 20 years!

Last edited:
Finale was okay, surprised Scott doesn't have the Kelvinverse blue midget sidekick, what with how wacky he is.

That uhh demarcation line and accompanying map was something as well. I know they're space lizards (downgrade from TOS space dinos TBH) and all, but you're telling me they are going to claim the planet and not an inch farther? I guess the moon is sometimes in Fed space, sometimes in Gorn space.

Add week 10, hey Admiral, you know that war the Enterprise was suppose to avoid starting? ....
I'm actually gonna hop in on defense for Captain Pike on that one, despite the cliffhanger where they're getting shot, the crew's like, "orders bro?" And he just kinda gives the It's Pat face.

Anyway, Aprils whole "They didn't attack us, they attacked a colony outside of our jurisdiction" doesn't fly with me... as an aside, it's weird that these space lizards have such a fine understanding of the political boundaries between the Federation and... some Hew-mons LARPing as (our) present-day Iowans or some shit... but he kind of misses the whole blowing up a Federation starship thing...

ManaByte

Gold Member
One of the producers wants to go up to 20 episodes a season.

I think the show has just started. We haven't even... This could be a 10-year show. Everyone who works on it loves making it... Because of COVID, because of the strike, it's taken 4 years to make 20 episodes. So hopefully, Paramount+ is smart and says, "Hey, let's go make 20 a year. Let's start making this show. This is gold."

Drizzlehell

Banned
Fast forward a few years: “we seem to have Star Trek fatigue”.
Hopefully they do not move too fast too soon as quality could suffers.
It's amazing how they seem to have learned nothing from what happened to this franchise 20 years ago, and how it crumbled apart specifically because of fatigue.

jason10mm

Gold Member
With an episodic show there isn't really "fluff", just good eps and some not so good ones. We used to do 22-26 ep seasons for EVERY show and I don't think it was necessarily bad, though some bad show ideas crept in. I just don't know if they can keep the visual quality high enough, when they do the cheap thing of using real buildings it REALLY stands out versus TOS and TNG. I'm watching one of the Ready Room behind the scenes eps and they are filming a S2 ep with all the crew wearing masks, how long ago was that???

As for the finale, called it with that sexy Gorn, it was pretty close :p As usual for Trek, the actual story structure makes no sense (how do you draw a line across an orbital map?) but at least it stayed focused and every one had stuff to do that sorta fell within their lane. Not having seen the Klingon war and having a good sense of how beat up Starfleet must be, it's still odd to see them rolling over time and again. Having an entire ship get destroyed and Starfleet says "Don't provoke them".....exqueeze me, what?!?!? A little more exposition on that front would have been nice because they still don't do a great job showing time and distance for how isolated this colony must have been and how few assets Starfleet could mobilize.

Noticed how Hottie McSpace Lawyer shut down Pikes attempt to mansplain. She looks good all dirtied up. Though I gotta wonder what her plan was knowing
she was infected
hanging out with all the other refugees.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm watching one of the Ready Room behind the scenes eps and they are filming a S2 ep with all the crew wearing masks, how long ago was that???
Hollywood is in CA and they still have COVID protocols in place. They never lifted mask mandates on sets. Even movies that were filming before the strike had masks required on sets.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
What. Aren't you also short AND a nerd? Can't grow a beard? You bald as well? Does God hate you specifically? :p

5'6... And a HUGE nerd. Nope... Well, at least a beard that can't connect. It has all the makings of a beard but it won't connect. LMBO! Goatee is as far as it can go in the "connect" dept. LoL

Edit: not bald, either. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom