• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds |OT| Seeking Them Out

clarky

Gold Member
Hey, ep 4 was great! looking forward to more of this show. Hopefully grows into a decent Trek, after the recent shit.

Ironbunny

Sooo is there any sneak peeks or pictures that show the gorns new form? I want to be spoiled.

Last edited:

SpokkX

This is some seriously good Star Trek

I had given up hope after the total disaster that was Discovery (especially season 3 and 4.. 1 and 2 had some good characters at least) and especially the shitshow that was Picard season 2 (s1 was not nearly as bad)

Last edited:

Ironbunny

Well that was a wholly nice episode of Trek. Enjoyed every bit of it. It had its typical LGBT twist and 80% female crew in the enterprise but the show itself is proving to be the best Trek they've put out in a long time. Liking the cast too.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
This is my favorite Star Trek since DS9.
Yup, its not perfect but i'll take it. It tries to tick the diversity boxes a bit too hard for my tastes (which is ironic for a Star Trek show lol). But yeah off to a decent start, I'm sure we'll get a few duff episodes but a decent story arc + planet/threat of the week will do for me.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Yup, its not perfect but i'll take it. It tries to tick the diversity boxes a bit too hard for my tastes (which is ironic for a Star Trek show lol). But yeah off to a decent start, I'm sure we'll get a few duff episodes but a decent story arc + planet/threat of the week will do for me.

I think the diversity stuff is absolutely fine if the characters work. Look at Sulu and OG Uhura. What Strange New Worlds does is just feature good characterisations that just happen to be diverse. Most of the problem with woke shit is that it’s poorly written. Nobody gives a fuck if you’re being diverse, if you’re making good TV. That’s what old Trek always did, it’s what Disco and Picard fail to do, and it’s what this series is doing right.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I think the diversity stuff is absolutely fine if the characters work. Look at Sulu and OG Uhura. What Strange New Worlds does is just feature good characterisations that just happen to be diverse. Most of the problem with woke shit is that it’s poorly written. Nobody gives a fuck if you’re being diverse, if you’re making good TV. That’s what old Trek always did, it’s what Disco and Picard fail to do, and it’s what this series is doing right.
Slightly disagree and agree at the same time, good characters yes, but "just happen to be diverse" i dunno it just feels kinda forced, i never felt that with TNG or DS9 and they had equally diverse casts. Maybe i just need to spend more time with the characters.

Still hopefully we get a good few seasons out of this if they can keep the quality up.

ManaByte

Yup. Again, I really like this crew. Ortegas reminds me of Kira. (Also the character is based on a Roddenberry one, the original helmsman in the first Star Trek pitch was Jose Ortegas).

FunkMiller

Slightly disagree and agree at the same time, good characters yes, but "just happen to be diverse" i dunno it just feels kinda forced, i never felt that with TNG or DS9 and they had equally diverse casts. Maybe i just need to spend more time with the characters.

Still hopefully we get a good few seasons out of this if they can keep the quality up.

I think the gross and in your face politicising of Disco and Picard have primed us to be a bit over critical of casting and character decisions. SNW is very much more like OT, TNG and DS9. None of it‘s being thrust in your face and waved around, and treating us like fucking idiots.

Nico_D

Three episodes in. All of them have had a perfect setup - and disappointing, self-solving ending. In TNG the crew had to work to find a solution even if that meant some technobabble.

Like in episode 3 which was the most star trek episode in a long time. In the ye old Trek the doctor revealed would've happened 2/3 after which they had used the functioning transporter's biofilter to solve the problem. Much better structure than make one of the characters the solution out of the blue which seemed more like a deus ex machina. Especially because it wasn't foreshadowed at all before.

Now the ending had boring babble outside of the episode arc.

Anson Mouth is really good. As is many others, except for the pretty obvious Drummer lookalike. Both as a character and as an actor.

clarky

Gold Member
I think the gross and in your face politicising of Disco and Picard have primed us to be a bit over critical of casting and character decisions. SNW is very much more like OT, TNG and DS9. None of it‘s being thrust in your face and waved around, and treating us like fucking idiots.
Probably this. I do like the show though, more so than the other two turds you mentioned. Like its been said its the best Trek since DS9 so far and thats coming from someone who likes Voyager.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Alright as an old school 'Trekkie', this show is by far the best thing done under 'new Trek'. Its still a far cry from TNG, but its a good show. I still dont like the grey metallic look of the Enterprise, or even why they took that route, but its hard to complain about the visuals.
Good start, credit where credit deserves.

One thing i do have to say though, and something that worries me about the future of Strange New Worlds, i caught a Season 4 random episode of Discovery the other day, after not watching the show since season 1, and what the fuck is this freak show?. The may as well call the show 'Star Trek: SJW Awokens'. At least SNW hasnt been THAT woke yet.
God awful lol.

FunkMiller

Alright as an old school 'Trekkie', this show is by far the best thing done under 'new Trek'. Its still a far cry from TNG, but its a good show. I still dont like the grey metallic look of the Enterprise, or even why they took that route, but its hard to complain about the visuals.

One thing i do have to say though, and something that worries me about the future of Strange New Worlds, i caught a Season 4 random episode of Discovery the other day, after not watching the show since season 1, and what the fuck is this freak show?. The may as well call the show 'Star Trek: SJW Awokens'. At least SNW hasnt been THAT woke yet.
God awful lol.

Disco was absolute shit from second one. As was Picard. Neither even really attempting to be a star Trek shows… rather using the franchise to do their own bullshit. SNW isn’t like that. It gets the format, the tone, the characters, and the structure right. Quite bizarre how it’s from many of the same people.

ItsGreat

God awful lol.

If it's a far cry from TNG then why bother?

Why regress?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It gets the format, the tone, the characters, and the structure right.

Format and structure are synonyms, which suggests you're scraping the barrel for compliments.

Picard and Discovery got the tone right as well. We know how great those shows are.

The characters are awful. The men are consistently weak, dumb, or evil. The dialogue feels more like a CW high school show. They crush the viewer with a dumbed down implementation of THE MESSAGE. It's a majority female cast, which is weird because Discivery and Picard were majority female casts too. Pike has no balls, but he does go to an expensive hair salon.

But the number one thing SNW gets wrong is the spirit of Star Trek. It has no interest in different philosophies and cultures. It doesn't care about an optimistic viewpoint on life. It exists purely to deliver THE MESSAGE to an unsuspecting audience.

SNW gets nothing right. It's awful NuTrek written by people who clearly weren't fans of the IP.

ManaByte

Format and structure are synonyms, which suggests you're scraping the barrel for compliments.

Picard and Discovery got the tone right as well. We know how great those shows are.

The characters are awful. The men are consistently weak, dumb, or evil. The dialogue feels more like a CW high school show. They crush the viewer with a dumbed down implementation of THE MESSAGE. It's a majority female cast, which is weird because Discivery and Picard were majority female casts too. Pike has no balls, but he does go to an expensive hair salon.

But the number one thing SNW gets wrong is the spirit of Star Trek. It has no interest in different philosophies and cultures. It doesn't care about an optimistic viewpoint on life. It exists purely to deliver THE MESSAGE to an unsuspecting audience.

SNW gets nothing right. It's awful NuTrek written by people who clearly weren't fans of the IP.
Reminder this guy loves Picard.

clarky

Gold Member

Why regress?
If you cant improve on greatness then why bother trying?

I believe similar statements were made when TNG first came out and look how that turned out.

This show has potential, im willing to stick with it and see where they go.

Last edited:

ManaByte

If you cant improve on greatness then why bother trying?

I believe similar statements were made when TNG first came out and look how that turned out.

This show has potential, im willing to stick with it and see where they go.
People forget that TNG was frowned upon for its first four seasons or so. It wasn’t until it took that massive swing with Best of Both Worlds that it really became acclaimed.

ef9d99ba-8d61-4e14-9019-e8411d05ccf3_text.gif

b63f8def-8930-475a-9c5a-e3b7257acd44_text.gif

Stuart360

You‘ve obviously not watched much of it, if anything, and have just seen that it’s got some diverse casting, and have reached your own incorrect conclusions.
I think compared to that season 4 episode of Discovery i watched the other day, SNW is almost anti woke lol (fuck me that episode, 'anomoly' i think it was called).
The only really 'woke' stuff so far in the 5 epsiodes of SNW is that like 70% of the main crew are women, and that helms girl is lesbian i guess by her danger haircut. Oh and a few tiresome speeches about 'living in harmony' etc.

Overall though it seems to me they are trying to present this show in old Trek style, and thats why its working....so far.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Why regress?
To be fair if you're into Sci-Fi and stuff, there isnt much better TV than The Next Generation. Its still played all over the world for a reason. Probably my fave TV show of all time, with X-Files no.2.
And its not about regressing really, its more to do with brand new people running Trek now compared to back then.

Last edited:

tommolb

I'm loving this show, especially the last episode. I ended up disliking Picard and the last series of Discovery, but this show so far ticks all the right boxes for me.

I see we've got a few detractors in this thread. Some folks will never be happy with any new ST show and in their eyes it'll never match the original or TNG and they'll want to shout from the rooftops telling everyone why they're not happy.

ManaByte

I'm loving this show, especially the last episode. I ended up disliking Picard and the last series of Discovery, but this show so far ticks all the right boxes for me.

I see we've got a few detractors in this thread. Some folks will never be happy with any new ST show and in their eyes it'll never match the original or TNG and they'll want to shout from the rooftops telling everyone why they're not happy.

Stuart360

I hope you dont mean me because i have been praising the show if you actually read my posts. Its just TNG is very big shoes to fill.

FunkMiller

It’s more that some folks around here are so rabidly anti-woke that they can’t bring themselves to admit that something might actually be okay… just because it’s made by the same people who have made some godawful woke political agenda heavy shows, with bad story and character.

SNW is a lot better than Disco or Picard. Is it TNG or DS9? Nope. Course not. Is it a decent return to the classic Trek format, with some pretty good stories? Yes. Particularly Memento Mori.

I tried watching the first episode but this woman's haircut is the worst thing I've ever seen and I couldn't stop thinking of the Simpsons every time she's on screen
62823d429147a30018b482d0

b5083b8d28c6103c66e4c7dc59aad4a84638db3b

jason10mm

Gold Member
Good grief at that haircut.

In the old days they would have had her look nice and normal, then have a scene a few eps in where she walks out of the Orion girls room wiping green slime from her face.

BOOM, we get that she's gay and they don't gotta signal it in such a fashion.

Stuart360

Good grief at that haircut.

In the old days they would have had her look nice and normal, then have a scene a few eps in where she walks out of the Orion girls room wiping green slime from her face.

BOOM, we get that she's gay and they don't gotta signal it in such a fashion.
To be fair, she's actually one of the better characters so far, and thankfully the show hasnt mentioned anything to do with her sexuality in the 5 episodes so far.

Stuart360

If Deep Space Nine launched in 2022 people would be calling Kira a lesbian, Ortegas is very similar.
Well some poeple thought that even back then, and i'm pretty sure Ortega's is a lesbian, or the producers are certainly trying to insinuate that with that cringy haircut.
But as long as they are not constantly dwelling on it and making cringe statements every other episode, i can live with it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
If Deep Space Nine launched in 2022 people would be calling Kira a lesbian, Ortegas is very similar.
Well, except for her dating men on the show of course.

Anyway, looks like Melissa Navia, the actress who lays thisOrtegas character, is straight (and apparently cisgendered) in real life thus by the new laws of acting, can not possibly portray an LGBTQI+ character on a show. So the haircut may just remain a bewildering stylistic choice, perhaps an antithesis to the beehive hairdos of the OG '60's ladies on the show.

Top Bottom