• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds |OT| Seeking Them Out

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Well it had to happen at some point.
Let's see how it plays out!
What I don't get is she is trans and non-binary.....
How the fuck does that work
i-think-you-broke-my-brain-stick-goldstein.gif

Also Chapel confirmed she was non-binary in the last episode?
I must of miss that part

jason10mm

Gold Member
In Star Trek a "non-binary" character had better LITERALLY SPLIT INTO TWO PEOPLE at some point to illustrate how the fuck "non-binary" is even a thing because conceptually it makes no sense with this "they/them" nonsense.

Well it had to happen at some point.
Let's see how it plays out!
What I don't get is she is trans and non-binary.....
How the fuck does that work
i-think-you-broke-my-brain-stick-goldstein.gif

Also Chapel confirmed she was non-binary in the last episode?
I must of miss that part

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Barely took them 6 episode to go full on woke.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I broke my rule and tried watching ep 6.

Could only make it to "We know one of you 5 armed guards are the killer, and we're confronting you with this information while you're armed and a threat." Because standard Police procedure, or common sense, is alien to these writers.

Then once the evil white dude (who could have predicted?!) starts running, they all look like they're jogging about 4.5mph...and it's not a joke or built into the fiction.

It's should be called Star Trek: Idiocracy

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I broke my rule and tried watching ep 6.

Could only make it to "We know one of you 5 armed guards are the killer, and we're confronting you with this information while you're armed and a threat." Because standard Police procedure, or common sense, is alien to these writers.

Then once the evil white dude (who could have predicted?!) starts running, they all look like they're jogging about 4.5mph...and it's not a joke or built into the fiction.

It's should be called Star Trek: Idiocracy

He's not evil. Did you even WATCH the show? He was trying to save the kid.

And they weren't trying to find a "killer" ... They were trying to find a would be KIDNAPPER!

My goodness! Your post is dumb and shows your ignorance to what the episode was about!

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
He's not evil. Did you even WATCH the show? He was trying to save the kid.

My goodness! Your post is dumb and shows your ignorance to what the episode was about!

"Could only make it to..."

Translation: My sensibilities were crapped on so much that I decided to turn it off. As in, I could only stomach the first 10 minutes of the episode.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
"Could only make it to..."

Translation: My sensibilities were crapped on so much that I decided to turn it off. As in, I could only stomach the first 10 minutes of the episode.

But that part wasn't in the first 10 minutes... And most of the Majalins were white... Especially the redhead and like half the guards.

Your loss... It was a really great morality story. Reminded me of TOS

AJUMP23

I thought the episode was ok, except for the end where they try to justify child sacrifice. The woman says are there not poor people in the federation. I thought on earth at least poverty had been eradicated by technology and lack of money.

Equating killing kids with poor people is a pretty bad argument. But in Hollywood it makes sense because they will sacrifice a child and tell themselves they made the child’s life better.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I thought the episode was ok, except for the end where they try to justify child sacrifice. The woman says are there not poor people in the federation. I thought on earth at least poverty had been eradicated by technology and lack of money.

Equating killing kids with poor people is a pretty bad argument. But in Hollywood it makes sense because they will sacrifice a child and tell themselves they made the child’s life better.

I think she meant the entire federation. Not just Earth.

Ballthyrm

thought the episode was ok, except for the end where they try to justify child sacrifice. The woman says are there not poor people in the federation. I thought on earth at least poverty had been eradicated by technology and lack of money.

I think the episode makes it quite clear it is a shit argument.
There is just nothing Captain Pike can do about it because they aren't part of the federation and won't be for that very reason.

Pike was railroaded and wasn't happy about it.
And at the end the kid's dad "betray" his civilisation by giving away technology there aren't supposed to share to save the Doctor's daughter.

FunkMiller

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Barely took them 6 episode to go full on woke.

I absolutely applaud the inclusion of a trans actor in Star Trek. If anyone has an issue with that, then they being bigoted, in the same way that objecting to Nichelle Nichols being in TOS would have been racist.

However, the whole point of the show is that by the 23rd century we’re supposed to have left that kind of petty bigotry behind.

If they make out the character faces anti-trans bigotry, or base the characters stories around it, then that will be woke trash - putting politics ahead of story and character.

Hopefully their gender will not be raised as an issue. Because that’s kind of the point.

However, the whole point of the show is that by the 23rd century we’re supposed to have left that kind of petty bigotry behind.

It makes no goddamn sense, by then technology has advanced to such a degree that you can leisurely switch your biological sex whenever you want to. Much like in Ian Bank's excellent Culture series, where people are free to do almost any body modification they so desire.
So I seriously doubt pronouns, gender ideology and 3 dozen gender flags are going to be a thing in the 23rd century.

This is another case of dumb virtue signaling by forcefully injecting American modern day insecurities and trends into a context where it doesn't belong and doesn't even make much sense. Not to mention uncritically promoting an ideology that more and more medical experts are beginning to criticize as being harmful. So no, this isn't about combatting bigotry, it is pure focus group pandering to the detriment of the show's narrative quality.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I absolutely applaud the inclusion of a trans actor in Star Trek. If anyone has an issue with that, then they being bigoted, in the same way that objecting to Nichelle Nichols being in TOS would have been racist.

If they make out the character faces anti-trans bigotry, or base the characters stories around it, then that will be woke trash - putting politics ahead of story and character.

Hopefully their gender will not be raised as an issue. Because that’s kind of the point.
It’s a one episode guest star character, not a member of the crew.

Oberstein

I expected the worst, and in the end it was a pleasant episode.

It insists strongly on "Spock hasn't done his Kolinhar yet", maybe to explain Peck's acting in relation to Nimoy. Well, with this episode, people will mostly talk about
Sybok's return.
Oh boy.

At least compared to Obi-wan, I don't feel like the license is being raped, it's a change from Discovery.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I expected the worst, and in the end it was a pleasant episode.

It insists strongly on "Spock hasn't done his Kolinhar yet", maybe to explain Peck's acting in relation to Nimoy. Well, with this episode, people will mostly talk about
Sybok's return.
Oh boy.

At least compared to Obi-wan, I don't feel like the license is being raped, it's a change from Discovery.

Most people I've seen are OK with that, because they liked the character. That character wasn't the problem with the movie at all.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Most people I've seen are OK with that, because they liked the character. That character wasn't the problem with the movie at all.

Folks are ok with Sybok but not with Michael because "canon". But Sybok wasn't canon until Final Frontier. They even wrote that into the movie with Kirk and Bones saying "you don't have a brother! Stop effing lying" lol

AJUMP23

I didn't care that the actor was trans.....I did notice something was off with the actor, so I looked them up. But I didn't care. I don't think they made being Trans part of the episode. I think this villain will be recurring. The episode was alright.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Has a certain failed gubernatorial candidate shown up yet as president of the world of whatever nonsense they gave her in Discovery?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It makes no goddamn sense, by then technology has advanced to such a degree that you can leisurely switch your biological sex whenever you want to. Much like in Ian Bank's excellent Culture series, where people are free to do almost any body modification they so desire.
So I seriously doubt pronouns, gender ideology and 3 dozen gender flags are going to be a thing in the 23rd century.

This is another case of dumb virtue signaling by forcefully injecting American modern day insecurities and trends into a context where it doesn't belong and doesn't even make much sense. Not to mention uncritically promoting an ideology that more and more medical experts are beginning to criticize as being harmful. So no, this isn't about combatting bigotry, it is pure focus group pandering to the detriment of the show's narrative quality.

Her being trans wasn't even a point in the episode. Wasn't mentioned or alluded to.

Nico_D

I had no clue the actor was trans and it wasn't part of the episodes story at all so why does it matter? Jesus you guys.

Same. I read about it after seeing the episode. But what I did notice was that her acting was really bad when she was on villain mode. It was horrendous to watch.

Dr.D00p

As a rule, I absolutely hate these 'Dress up' episodes in Star Trek but really enjoyed this one, I really like the Enterprise Doctor in this show and he nailed the performance.

And I got very jealous of that little dog licking Christina Chong's cleavage...lucky little shit.

AJUMP23

As a rule, I absolutely hate these 'Dress up' episodes in Star Trek but really enjoyed this one, I really like the Enterprise Doctor in this show and he nailed the performance.

And I got very jealous of that little dog licking Christina Chong's cleavage...lucky little shit.
She looked really good in this episode. Took me a minute to figure out that she was a show regular. Her and the Nurse are both beautiful, and good actors.

I enjoyed the dress up episode. I do think it finds resolution a bit early in the series for the doctors daughter.

Took a month off from this and gave episode 5 a shot as exercise bike fodder.

Of course Chapel is some bisexual slut. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And of course Robert April was race-swapped. Should have just made Pike black, cowards. And that would have tangible benefits, there's no way they could do anything as bad to a black man's hair as what they're doing with Anson Mount's.

The basic A-plot was fine I guess... the B and C plots dragged the whole operation down.

The Spock and T'Pring stuff wasn't good. Okay, Pike reacted jokingly about totally noticing that they had swapped bodies, so hooray for the awareness I suppose, but it doesn't work as 'hijinks' when they both have the same lack of personality. It kinda felt like they were writing Sheldon and uhh... Blossom... the Jeopardy Lady, whatever she was called on that show. Actually, that would explain a lot, Big Bang Theory fans in the writers' room. Fuck that shit.

The
qHCQmsT.png
and
6ZE86rP.png
plot might have been even worse. I'm not sure why the hell the crew acts like the crew on Lower Decks... I almost want to give them points for consistency, the crews are retarded whether it's an ostensibly serious show or a zany cartoon comedy. I guess gun-safety rules didn't survive to the phaser era... just put em on the lowest setting and shoot each other for lulz. Right.

Probably going to put it back on the shelf for a bit with an option to fast track it if RLM puts out a video. I think I have some actual good shows that have built up a backlog.

k_trout

oof i tried to watch this show but I just don't like new star trek, something I can't put my finger on but I just get bored
its like BBQ with all sauce and no meat

Last edited:

ManaByte

Season as as good as any 90s Trek season. Every season has excellent episodes and a couple of stinkers. This was no different.

The difference between DISCO and this is when DISCO ends a season, you don't care. But I'm sad that this season is ending because it'll be months until it comes back for season 2.

And I love the crew on this show, and I'm still upset about Hemmer. You don't care about any of the DISCO crew outside of maybe Saru, but when something happens to a crewmember of this show it stings.

Artoris

Gold Member
Nah. Voyager had heart, fantastic writing, good humor, and well told stories without feeling like some failed college student standing on a soapbox preaching to you.
Voyager was mediocre at best

strange new worlds is good but with many flaws

Last edited:
Top Bottom