• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of 720p, the Digital Foundry PS5 analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaiff

Comparisons to Xbox are coming soon and will be done by Oliver.

• Lighting, shadows, and animation quality are all standout
  • Impressive visuals on display
  • DF didn't receive codes from EA (I wonder why?)
  • Indirect lighting suggesting some RTGI, reflections on water bodies and select surfaces, otherwise SSR
  • RT drops to 45fps in the Performance Mode in RT heavy areas and the resolution drops too
  • RT is engaged in both modes, curiously
  • 972p-1440p in Resolution mode. 1242p when looking at the sky. 1440p in cutscenes in GPU light scenes
  • Fallen Order runs at 1512p-2160p on PS5
  • 648p-864p base resolution in Performance Mode
  • FSR breaks apart in motion, visual noise, ghosting, and artifacts
  • Performance in Resolution Mode is very consistent but has some hitches when transitioning between cutscenes, can drop to 22fps. Heavy areas can see the fps drop to the high tens, especially on the second planet
  • Performance in Performance Mode isn't as good. Many drops to the mid 40s and 50s and rarely even the 30s. This mode just isn't very good. Recommends 30fps

Honestly this is an embarrassing display from Respawn. We're getting games that look marginally better than their last-gen counterparts but performs much, much worse on far more powerful machines. When you see games like HFW not only have a much higher base resolution, better graphics, AND much better performance to top it all off, you can tell that the machine isn't at fault but the developers are. The current bottleneck isn't the hardware, it's the devs.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Non-nerdy young guy at work, who has an OLED and usually never plays Fidelity/30fps modes in games partly because of that, today:

"I got that new Jedi Survivor, its so good I'm really enjoying it! I'm playing in the fidelity mode though because the performance mode is really blurry... yeah I heard its 1440p"

Animated GIF

Me knowing it was lower than that but after reading this summary:

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Still really excited to play this but maybe I should wait for a patch and/or an RT toggle for the 30fps mode, I'd rather play have a higher resolution and/or locked 30fps than RT.

Last edited:
The XSX version is equally shit (maybe more so performance wise). Refunded it ASAP.

648p is unbelievable. I know reconstruction is the future but FSR has zero chance of giving an acceptable image from such low resolutions. The image is grainy, aliased and full of shimmer and motion artefacts.

I can’t actually believe how easy this video goes on the performance mode. I get that RT GI is expensive and can be really impressive but not when you need to use PS3 resolutions and drops to 35fps to achieve it.

Last edited:
The XSX version is equally shit (maybe more so performance wise). Refunded it ASAP.

648p is unbelievable. I know reconstruction is the future but FSR has zero chance of giving an acceptable image from such low resolutions. The image is grainy, aliased and full of shimmer and motion artefacts.

I can’t actually believe how easy this video goes on the performance mode. I get that RT GI is expensive and can be really impressive but not when you need to use PS3 resolutions and drops to 35fps to achieve it.

How come DF won't make a video about the consoles the way Alex made a video about the PC?

Clearly, the consoles are fucked more than PC

zomboden

Banned
Can’t believe nobody played through this game and said “Huh, this runs kinda shit. Maybe we should tweak things.”

But no they rush it out for money. Don’t know why we decided to do that.

Portugeezer

How come DF won't make a video about the consoles the way Alex made a video about the PC?

Clearly, the consoles are fucked more than PC
It's relative.

The consoles are cheap and have limited RT capabilities (the game crashing is bad though, DF said they experienced one crash, hopefully it was just an anomaly).

A $2000 GPU struggling between 30-60fps is dogshit. In the very least they should have delayed PC version.

Tsaki

Even with loads of patches, optimization can only get you so far. I could see the framerate getting locked to 30 and 60fps respectively. Repeating: with loads of work being done on the code (if this is the actual problem). But upping the resolution as well? That's not happening. A PS5 Pro will become more sought after with every true next-gen game released, if these are the resolutions games run at with RT.
But I've got to say that FSR2 is really carrying its weight with this game. No way you could convince me this was running sub-720p, or even sub-1080p.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They should have used Series S settings for Performance mode.

Just having the RT be optional would go a long way in making the performance mode more consistent, but the game has a myriad of problems elsewhere as well. Clearly it's symptoms of a game that was developed fully remotely and pushed out to meet some kind of arbitrary publisher requirement before it was fully cooked.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Non-nerdy young guy at work, who has an OLED and usually never plays Fidelity/30fps modes in games partly because of that, today:
  • speaking of nerds, I am beginning to believe that we need to go back to hiring exclusively nerdy dudes who have nothing better to do than make games all day.
  • No more cool kids with girlfriends. I want virgins designing video games.
  • If you have kids that means you managed to convince a real life woman to nut in her. You are too cool to make video games.
  • I dont want the purple haired crowd with 10k followers on Twitter. I want the guy who has no followers.
  • I want women devs who look like Amy Henning, not Alannah Pearce.
  • I want devs who actually own an OLED, and care about shit like HDR. Honestly dont think anyone of these guys actually play their own games.
  • I want them to only hire devs who own a 4000 series GPU or they can piss off and go work for an indie studio.
  • Put it on the Job Requirements: If you're not a hardcore gamer, dont make games with us.
  • Imagine if Nolan, Spielberg, Kubrick didnt like watching movies. Imagine if JK Rowling didnt like reading books. Thats the feeling I get from the current crop of developers.
Everything I've said in this post so far is a joke, but I honestly do believe that the current crop of devs dont like playing video games.* If they did, they would actually go home and play their own games or other games that came out in the last 6 months and say hey maybe we should learn from that and not fuck up like the other devs did. But they dont play games. Maybe it's just another job to them, but an industry that doesnt have passionate people willing to stay up all night while a director and actor go through 100 takes of a scene then they should not be in that industry. And im not just talking about performance here, im talking about a general lack of ambition thats plagued this industry over the last decade or so. Something's changed and its affected the entire industry. Even japanese devs.

*I remember how at one point Bungie had to set time aside at 4PM everyday for their devs to play Destiny because none of them were playing it at home and there was a big disconnect between the fanbase and the developers.

Last edited:

hinch7

Sub 900P wtf. Lol so blurry with performance mode.. FSR 2 is the cherry on top.

Better off for them to just use UE4's TAAU if they're going that low, jees.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Even with loads of patches, optimization can only get you so far. I could see the framerate getting locked to 30 and 60fps respectively. Repeating: with loads of work being done on the code (if this is the actual problem). But upping the resolution as well? That's not happening. A PS5 Pro will become more sought after with every true next-gen game released, if these are the resolutions games run at with RT.
But I've got to say that FSR2 is really carrying its weight with this game. No way you could convince me this was running sub-720p, or even sub-1080p.
That's what I thought when I saw the state TLOU2 shipped in but those damn devs did it. Took them a month but they did it. The game is pretty much flawless now in terms of vram, cpu and gpu optimization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom