• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of 720p, the Digital Foundry PS5 analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
The bit about animations being a standout was also hilarious.

These people are slowly turning into a comedy channel, i swear.

NXG also on twitter talking about how amazing the animations are and how amazing the combat is...

it's like these guys never played a decent japanese action game.

The combat in Star Wars is serviceable, sure, but it's crazy what some people think is a "great" combat system, or what are "great" animations.

Mr.Phoenix

They are not dumb. If they left it on is because they knew that removing it did not improve the perfromance. They are bottlenecked by the cpu.
Have you seen what this game does on the PC with regard to its CPU utilization? On a 16-thread CPu only like 2 threads get hammered pushing like 80-90% utilization while all the other threads just sit at like 2-5%... and even the GPUsits at like 60% utilization times.

They are not just stupid, but they are incompetent. They are not bottlenecked by the CPU, they are bottlenecked by their incompetence.

lets call this what it is...

GymWolf

NXG also on twitter talking about how amazing the animations are and how amazing the combat is...

it's like these guys never played a decent japanese action game.

The combat in Star Wars is serviceable, sure, but it's crazy what some people think is a "great" combat system, or what are "great" animations.
I like how punchy it is and the ragdoll is on point, you never get bored of parrying blasters, but yeah, i would not go further than decent\good.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

that game shows imo that crossgen was a good thing, not a bad one.

Horizon was clearly designed with the base PS4 in mind, that means that the developers needed to be extremely cautious about CPU performance and to a lesser degree GPU.

when porting it to PS5 then, they had this high performing baseline, from which they could easily improve things to make full use of the new hardware.
And with the DLC, they then could use the highly CPU optimised engine and let loose a bit.

having last gen around forced developers to actually optimise their games to such a degree, that porting them to the current gen consoles resulted in relatively great performance, and clean visuals.

and now look at current gen only games... where developers clearly didn't really think they have to make sure the CPU is actually saturated and the game isn't bombarding 2 threads with constant draw calls of insignificant little detail noone's gonna notice anyway.

Star Wars can't keep its framerate above 30fps while barely looking better than a mid last gen title and runng at lower resolutions than many Xbox One games in performance mode, while the One X would laugh at its resolution mode...
Redfall can't launch with 60fps because clearly their CPU performance doesn't allow it, while similarly complex last gen games run flawlessly at 60fps through backwards compatibility or enhanced ports, usually at higher resolutions too.

so in conclusion, I think we should have cherished Crossgen!
Crossgen forced developers to actually care about performance! it forced them to use every single thread of those dogshit Jaguar cores to the max in order to even be able to run the games... and now, now they see "oh we got a Zen2 cpu here, now we don't have to worry about CPU performance anymore!" and the results are Jedi Survivor and Redfall... and I bet it's getting worse going forward, where we will see current gen only games that barely look better than last gen games, yet run like ass.

Nah I don't think that makes sense. What drives anyone to higher standards is competition. As long as next gen games *generally* push the systems hard, then other developers will be forced to step up or be humiliated by the comparison.

Ratchet and Demon's Souls already clearly push the PS5 pretty hard. It's just a case of waiting (yes, even longer) unfortunately.

Banned
Nah I don't think that makes sense. What drives anyone to higher standards is competition. As long as next gen games *generally* push the systems hard, then other developers will be forced to step up or be humiliated by the comparison.

Ratchet and Demon's Souls already clearly push the PS5 pretty hard. It's just a case of waiting (yes, even longer) unfortunately.

I absolutely bet that both, Demon's Souls and Ratchet were originally cross gen games, at least as a fallback possibility. (wasn't there even a leak that said the PS4 versions were quietly cancelled?)

and Demon's Souls can't be used as an example in general IMO, because Bluepoint is just on another level when it comes to actually using the hardware.
Titanfall on Xbox 360 is still the craziest port ever, the game was designed for 5GB of VRAM usage at all times (literally the whole maps got loaded into memory at once)
and Bluepoint made that run on a system that had 512MB of memory, some of which wasn't even available for games.
and it all ran at an unlocked 30fps up to 55~ on some maps, with a marginally lower resolution than the Xbox One version

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I absolutely bet that both, Demon's Souls and Ratchet were originally cross gen games, at least as a fallback possibility. (wasn't there even a leak that said the PS4 versions were quietly cancelled?)

and Demon's Souls can't be used as an example in general IMO, because Bluepoint is just on another level when it comes to actually using the hardware.
Titanfall on Xbox 360 is still the craziest port ever, the game was designed for 5GB of VRAM usage at all times (literally the whole maps got loaded into memory at once)
and Bluepoint made that run on a system that had 512MB of memory, some of which wasn't even available for games.
and it all ran at an unlocked 30fps up to 55~ on some maps, with a marginally lower resolution than the Xbox One version

It doesn't matter. The point is fundamentally unsound.

We got hugely impressive current gen only games throughout last gen, like GOW, TLOU2, Death Stranding, you name it. You don't need some kind of base level of hardware to discipline developers' efforts. Just competition like we normally have had every generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom