• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

Quick

Banned
W4Pzrql.jpg

Beware! Unmarked spoilers for Star Wars: The Force Awakens ahead!

Star Wars Official Thread

Director: Rian Johnson
Producers: Kathleen Kennedy, Ram Bergman
Screenplay: Rian Johnson
Music: John Williams
Release Date: December 15, 2017

Cast:

Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker
Carrie Fisher - General Leia Organa
Adam Driver - Kylo Ren
Daisey Ridley - Rey
John Boyega - Finn
Oscar Isaac - Poe Dameron
Lupita Nyong'o - Maz Kanata
Andy Serkis - Supreme Leader Snoke
Domhnall Gleeson - General Hux
Anthony Daniels - C3PO
Peter Mayhew - Chewbacca
Jimmy Vee - R2D2, replacing Kenny Baker
Gwendoline Christie - Captain Phasma
Mike Quinn - Nien Nunb
Timothy M. Rose - Admiral Ackbar
Benicio del Toro - TBA, Official report on 2015-09-07
Gugu Mbatha-Raw - TBA, Official report on 2015-10-07

2016-02-10: EW: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming

Filmmaker Rian Johnson is already making a few special modifications to the Star Wars universe. The director (best known for Brick and Looper) has started rolling cameras on Star Wars: Episode VIII, according to Disney CEO Bob Iger.

The galactic sequel was set to begin in January, but principal photography was pushed back a few weeks around the same time the movie’s release was shifted from May 2017 to December of that year.

Iger provided updates on the studio’s ever-expanding Star Wars universe during The Walt Disney Co.’s quarterly earnings call, touting the gargantuan financial success of the The Force Awakens. It is only the third film in history to collect more than $2 billion at the global box office, and the only domestic release to collect more than $900 million. In addition, he said it earned more than $3 billion globally in consumer products.

2015-12-17: Star Wars producer Kathleen Kennedy confirms that entire cast will return for eighth film

The president of Lucasfilm has said that iconic cast members will appear in Episode VIII, as will newcomers John Boyega and Daisy Ridley.

Speaking to Bang Showbiz at the London premiere on Wednesday night, Kennedy said:

“There will be a handful of new cast members in Episode VIII but also all the cast members you see here tonight will be in it as well.”

2015-11-16: Doctor Who star Jimmy Vee replaces Kenny Baker as the new R2-D2 in Star Wars Episode 8

Among the many changes facing the Star Wars franchise for Episode VIII will be a new actor playing loveable droid R2-D2.

Doctor Who star Jimmy Vee has been spotted in the R2-D2 armor filming scenes opposite Mark Hamill for Episode VIII, reports Metro.

The scenes were apparently shot on Irish island Skellig Michael, a location also used for The Force Awakens.

2015-10-07: Exclusive: ‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’ Casts Gugu Mbatha-Raw

Tonight, we can exclusively report that Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Beyond the Lights) is joining the cast. While negotiations can always break down and nothing is official until Disney announces it, we feel confident in our reporting.

We don’t have any details on her role, which isn’t surprising (come to think of it, we’re a couple months away from The Force Awakens and we still don’t really have any details on those new characters either). Will she be a total newcomer into the universe? Is she related to any of the characters we’ll meet prior to Episode VIII? Is she playing a human or an alien?

2015-09-07: Benicio Del Toro Confirms Casting In Star Wars: Episode VIII

It's official! Benicio Del Toro has moved from "I think it might happen" to official cast member of Rian Johnson's Star Wars: Episode VIII. "Star Wars is coming up," he told Spanish news site Rac1, " so we'll see how that turns out. I think we start shooting in March". He then added, rather mysteriously, "I'm like the villain, but we'll see..."

qw3cO4k.gif

Mariolee

Technically didn't they already start filming with (Force Awakens spoilers)
Luke's scene on that one island?

Interfectum

Iger provided updates on the studio’s ever-expanding Star Wars universe during The Walt Disney Co.’s quarterly earnings call, touting the gargantuan financial success of the The Force Awakens. It is only the third film in history to collect more than $2 billion at the global box office, and the only domestic release to collect more than $900 million. In addition, he said it earned more than $3 billion globally in consumer products.

Goddamn. They are quickly getting that money back.

Anth0ny

hype hype hype hype

throw some teaser footage on the episode vii theatrical re-release and see it cruise passed titanic

Noice
Hoping I don't get spoiled by some leaks this time
knew han's death for a very long time even though I never read if it was confirmed or not

I luke going to be a main character? Mark Hamill has been looking very fit lately...

Yeah, he's supposed to have a much bigger role in this film then the last. They actually did a bit of early shooting back in the fall on the same island that the closing scene of TFA was shot at, and it was apparently all Hamil stuff.

injurai

Banned
when you consider they probably finished filming Episode 7 in late 2014 or really early 2015, it seems more reasonable.

I swear they must have been cutting things really close for ep7. ILM must have been pulling out all the stops, no expenses spared to crunch out those scenes.

I swear they must have been cutting things really close for ep7. ILM must have been pulling out all the stops, no expenses spared to crunch out those scenes.

Yea, filming ended in November of 2014, so ILM had about 11 months to do their job. Not sure how much or little time that is, but I think a year is fairly standard. I believe the Snyder films tend to get 10-12 months of fx work.

Also, ILM has been disappointing me for the last few years. I hope they step their games up for Episode 8.

Surfinn

fucking awesome.

when you consider they probably finished filming Episode 7 in late 2014 or really early 2015, it seems more reasonable.

Right. But it's crazy to think we will always have this hype for Star Wars, whether it's production or a product.

Exciting times ahead.. never been a better time to be a SW fan.

do I want to see a Rian Johnson lightsaber duel

yes

Yup. Do I want to see slower, more meaningful pacing focused on character development and memorable dialogue? Yes.

JimiNutz

Banned
Im way more excited for Rogue One than Episode VII. Really hope we get a different kind of Star Wars film. These Anthology films are a good chance to take risks and break away from the usual Star Wars mould.
Plus I want to see Vader Fuck.Shit.Up

Hopefully we get a trailer soon!

Yup. Do I want to see slower, more meaningful pacing focused on character development and memorable dialogue? Yes.

I think it'll be like New Hope and Empire. The first one introduces the characters, the second expands on them. While Abrams is sometimes criticized for moving fast, I think it's a good quality as I find that films should move, but I think he did a much better job with his character beats and more contemplative scenes than usual;
Rey exploring the destroyer, cooking, putting on the helmet, watching the ship take off and so on for example, I thought, was slow enough with good character building
. After they leave Jakku its pretty breakneck yet it still stopped to explore things and have good character scenes, especially the
lightsaber vision, Finn trying to leave
and so on. I didn't think it lacked that stuff, but the next one will probably have more of it like Empire did compared to New Hope.

All in all I agree though, I had no problem with it in this movie and thought it had a great balance of character moments, development and forward momentum-- which to me makes for a good film. The Empire fan in me though is eager for more. Abrams simply got the ball rolling, which was a pretty rough task in of itself.

Surfinn

I think it'll be like New Hope and Empire. The first one introduces the characters, the second expands on them. While Abrams is sometimes criticized for moving fast, I think it's a good quality as I find that films should move, but I think he did a much better job with his character beats and more contemplative scenes than usual;
Rey exploring the destroyer, cooking, putting on the helmet, watching the ship take off and so on for example, I thought, was slow enough with good character building
. After they leave Jakku its pretty breakneck yet it still stopped to explore things and have good character scenes, especially the
lightsaber vision, Finn trying to leave
and so on. I didn't think it lacked that stuff, but the next one will probably have more of it like Empire did compared to New Hope.

All in all I agree though, I had no problem with it in this movie and thought it had a great balance of character moments, development and forward momentum-- which to me makes for a good film. The Empire fan in me though is eager for more. Abrams simply got the ball rolling, which was a pretty rough task in of itself.

I agree, I do think the pacing was well done and that there were a TON of meaningful scenes when we got a chance to breathe, I just want more of the ANH/ESB pacing where we get to spend a LITTLE more time with the characters. I love the pacing of TFA in a lot of ways, I just wish they would have stopped for a few more minutes to let us ge to know Rey and Finn, especially on the Falcon. I love the scene when Finn is about to tell Rey about his secret. I wish we could have gotten a paragraph or two from both of them before he did that/gas pipe breaks. Small criticisms here and there, but I just hope RJ spends a little more time in these areas.

I'd watch it a seventh, sure.

Really hope we get a subtitle soon. I hated how they revealed the last one's in a fucking Twitter post. Put it at the end of the first teaser.

I'd watch it an eighth. I wanna see it one more time in IMAX. ;)

Wow I forgot about that. Yeah, there's gotta be a better way to reveal something that big.

GhaleonEB

I might actually be more excited for VIII than I was for VII, now that I know how well the series was set up and I've come to love the new characters.

Do we have a production thread? If not we just got one.

Wow I forgot about that. Yeah, there's gotta be a better way to reveal something that big.

Yeah it's just a title but it's a big deal to me damn it. I loved how Lucas revealed the Episode III title in a video I think. It wasn't a trailer just some video presentation of all the films to that point with it ending on the title for III.

Son Of D

How likely is a re-theatering of 7? I'd watch it a third time.

Next year is the 40th anniversary of the franchise. I'm expecting all 7 films to get limited screenings throughout May with maybe a sneak peek at an Episode 8 trailer or a short clip.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I hope this is a non spoiler thread D:

Ill read all the official releases in the world but if i get spoiled again like I did for ep 7 :(

god

its such a long fucking time away

If the hype snowball for Rogue One weren't about to start rolling I'd be in an insane asylum soon. But it will be shortly, we all know this, at least by April. I'm surprised we haven't gotten a public teaser yet, the TFA teaser was a year from its release and it's already Feb. They may be doing things differently since it's a spinoff, but the marketing should kick in very soon. Once we start seeing legit stuff it'll really ease the wait for VIII.

...the production thread should be Star Wars Episode VIII Production | The Wait for Eight. It's like.... you know. Anyway, staying spoiler free again like I did with VII. I knew SOME things but nothing major. It paid off.

Sooo excited.

I wonder if this thread will be safe in the future.. as long as there isn't a huge art and story leak like with VII I can't see it getting too bad. I wanna follow the news, but at the same time, I don't want to know too much.

Surfinn

I hope this is a non spoiler thread D:

Ill read all the official releases in the world but if i get spoiled again like I did for ep 7 :(

I believe there are separate threads for that. I got spoiled big time, too. So hard not to be.

If the hype snowball for Rogue One weren't about to start rolling I'd be in an insane asylum soon. But it will be shortly, we all know this, at least by April. I'm surprised we haven't gotten a public teaser yet, the TFA teaser was a year from its release and it's already Feb. They may be doing things differently since it's a spinoff, but the marketing should kick in very soon. Once we start seeing legit stuff it'll really ease the wait for VIII.

...the production thread should be Star Wars Episode VIII Production | The Wait for Eight. It's like.... you know. Anyway, staying spoiler free again like I did with VII. I knew SOME things but nothing major. It paid off.

Man we need a teaser.. soon.

Top Bottom