• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The hero in the story won't turn to the dark side. Unless they aren't following the hero's journey at all (big mistake) and Rey is somehow transformed into a villain and someone else becomes the hero, which would be a more significant flop than the prequels, story wise.

Depends how they do it, they have already said this is as much the villains journey as it is Reys, how Vader became Vader, what luke would be if he was molded earlier by more nefarious forces.

They also have said that in moments Rey tapped into the dark side while fighting Kylo, how her posture changed, the aggressiveness of her moves.

Surfinn

Depends how they do it, they have already said this is as much the villains journey as it is Reys, how Vader became Vader, what luke would be if he was molded earlier by more nefarious forces.

They also have said that in moments Rey tapped into the dark side while fighting Kylo, how her posture changed, the aggressiveness of her moves.

Link to that quote?

She will be tempted but the hero of the story will not fall to the dark side. We've already seen that with Kylo. Rey is the protagonist.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not at all. Look at Empire. No one died and the stakes were as high as they've ever been. This is a big misunderstanding that pushes a lot of forced drama in movies/shows, IMO. Writers don't know how to create the drama so they just kill someone. Not saying you CANNOT kill, obviously, as it worked in VII, but you absolutely do NOT need to kill to raise the stakes.
I know ;)

Just poking fun at that growing meme ;)

Lmo911

The hero in the story won't turn to the dark side. Unless they aren't following the hero's journey at all (big mistake) and Rey is somehow transformed into a villain and someone else becomes the hero, which would be a more significant flop than the prequels, story wise.

Finn is the real hero we deserve! He's going to good guy it all the way to the finish line! Rey going bad is the twist ending. I have foreseen it!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Confirmed Poe is in episode 9 aswell

“It’s the first time in my life when things have been mapped out for quite some time. I’m basically Star War-ring until 2020.”

Mr Cola

Considering the script isn't done for EP9, I'm sure he's just assuming he will be involved in SW for the immediate future. Doesn't confirm he will be in it.

You have to imagine since Rain wrote 8 and is writing 9 that he has a good idea of the overall arcs of the characters, id say this is pretty solid info.

You have to imagine since Rain wrote 8 and is writing 9 that he has a good idea of the overall arcs of the characters, id say this is pretty solid info.

Treverrow and Connolly are writing IX but yeah, you'd imagine he'll have their stories planned out seeing he's doing the treatment.

I didn't expect them to kill off Poe in VIII after almost doing so in TFA. I'd be surprised if Rey, Finn and Poe don't last the trilogy.

Surfinn

He says absolutely nothing specific about being in EP9. "Star Waring until 2020" means he'll be involved with the franchise/going to events/signing stuff/taking pictures/being an active member of the SW community. Doesn't confirm or deny anything.

Grain of salt for sure. Hope he survives and is in fact in EP9 of course.

Caode

..and was followed up by this nice gesture from Lucasfilm. It was nice to open up the local paper to this earlier in the week.

bhMaNOg.jpg

The title announcement should definitely happen with filming almost completed. The Force Awakens was announced as VII's title after they wrapped so its the right timeframe.

If Luke has to go he better take Kylo with him, I want that mass murdering little coward to die, Leia's feelings can take a hike, no more free passes for the Skywalkers. Better yet, have Luke kill Kylo and live to tell Leia he had no choice but to off him. I also really want something like this to happen because I'd like to think Rian is above repeating the tired mentor sacrifice trope, TFA had enough parallels.

On a lighter note, Chewie visited some Irish school students during the shoot, video at the link of the kids freaking out when he enters the room:

http://mashable.com/2016/05/25/chewbacca-classroom-visit/

200w.gif

Boem

There's a good interview with Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall on Hollywood Reporter. It's mostly about the success of Jurassic World and how they're choosing directors for their old franchises, but there are some relevant bits and pieces that are relevant here - mostly about Colin Trevorrow, who's directing Episode 9:

KENNEDY I saw [Trevorrow's debut movie] Safety Not Guaranteed when I was looking for who was going to direct [Star Wars:] Episode 7. Then when Frank and Steven were looking for a director, and I had already decided on J.J. [Abrams], I said, "Hey, I know this is going to be off the wall and you're not going to immediately think this young director could do this movie, but I've come to the realization he is the real deal, and he could handle it."

(...)

SPIELBERG I looked at his movie and thought it was really good, but I wasn't convinced until the last scene 'cause that film could have gone two ways. When this [character] who I thought was certifiably insane actually invented something that could travel through time, that crystallized the choice that it had to be Colin to do Jurassic World.

I saw an earlier version of that film in which the time machine didn't work.

MARSHALL Well [for that version], he didn't have the money to do the effect.

SPIELBERG Had that machine not worked, Colin would not have directed Jurassic World. Colin was a fan of all the Jurassic movies. And he spoke so much like a moviemaker, not like an essayist. I've heard a lot of people talking about movies in very analytical ways, and some of that is impressive and some of that is just analytical. But Colin spoke about the audience and what it felt like to be in the movie theater watching the Jurassic movies. And then he took the other approach of talking about structure and how he would tell the story. And he basically sold himself to me in the room.

Also, sick burn by Spielberg here:

So when you look at young directors, how do you know you're not hiring another Josh Trank [who directed the Fox bomb Fantastic Four]?

SPIELBERG Who is that?

More here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/steven-spielberg-kathleen-kennedy-frank-902545

Mr Cola

I cant stress how little I care for the notion of "Luke trains Rey, Snoke trains Kylo", they could do it great im sure but just the thought of it is so entirely predictable and uninspiring, I feel like I know half the plot to the next one without watching it.

But they could do it awesome, I just hope at least its not as straight forward.

Can't.freaking.wait.

I expect one heck of a movie from Johnson, maybe a movie to top Empire Strikes Back.

Guess we won't see any material this year, or at least until Rogue One is out and over.

Top Bottom