• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
One scene salvages what could have been a bad movie, but doesn't make up for everything else. Still think TFA as a whole is a better film, the only not good part of the whole film is Maz's castle.
Hans frighter scene exists.

The only bad thing about Jedi is the "plan" they had when they went into Jabbas castle, but I only noticed that it makes no sense because GAF noticed it and started to discuss it daily.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I thought the plan in Jabbas palace was fine, it showed as powerful as Luke is he is still prone to error and his judgement isnt absolute, you cant have a great plan work perfectly with a confident Luke who is in control of his emotions and decisions, you need to show he is still a bit reckless to give the rest of the movie some "Will he wont he". It also plays into later where an emotional Luke reacts to the "sister" comment.

Jedi's pacing (especially at the start) and its treatment of Han are my main problems with it. It still has some of the best highs of the OT though. It makes the Empire a joke after they felt like a threat in ESB too.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
All this talk of the Knights of Ren has made me look them up, it would appear to be the obvious entry point to any post Jedi anthology films to tie in the years from Jedi to TFA, the problematic caveat being how do you address Lukes age. That is unless you can tell a story about the Knights that is independent of Luke, and Ben, which it doesnt appear you can.

All this talk of the Knights of Ren has made me look them up, it would appear to be the obvious entry point to any post Jedi anthology films to tie in the years from Jedi to TFA, the problematic caveat being how do you address Lukes age. That is unless you can tell a story about the Knights that is independent of Luke, and Ben, which it doesnt appear you can.
I expect the Knights' origins to be explored in other mediums like the comics and books more than in any of the films. They existed before Ben joined them so it would still be possible to explore them without him.

TrueBlue

I don't think the freighter scene was so much horrific as it was unnecessary.

A shame, because I think it's the only truly superfluous paft of TFA, and follows an excellent opening act.

watershed

Banned
I don't think the freighter scene was so much horrific as it was unnecessary.

A shame, because I think it's the only truly superfluous paft of TFA, and follows an excellent opening act.

Which freighter scene are we talking about? The giant monster chase scene? If so, I feel it fits very comfortably in the Star Wars tradition of fun but useless monster/creature scenes. ANH had the dianoga scene in the trash compactor, ESB had the giant worm in the asteroid hole, ROTJ had the Rancor fight.

Or just the overall freighter sequence?

Which freighter scene are we talking about? The giant monster chase scene? If so, I feel it fits very comfortably in the Star Wars tradition of fun but useless monster/creature scenes. ANH had the dianoga scene in the trash compactor, ESB had the giant worm in the asteroid hole, ROTJ had the Rancor fight.

Or just the overall freighter sequence?

I never really got the complaints. Most solid argument I've heard was that the rathtars were kind of generic in design (I'll give them that, but I don't think they're actually bad either). Otherwise I thought the overall sequence was good/fun.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I dont care if the other movies had random monster scenes, I dont like the scene.

Zereta

Recast Young Luke and Ben?

Could see it happening? I mean, they did it for Young Han.

If JJ is pushing for a Knights of Ren anthology film, and he was part of the team that created it, that makes me think that the Knights of Ren themselves are not important to the sequel trilogy and operate as an aside to Snoke and Kylo. At that point, I could see them getting expanded via comics or books. Maybe a TV show.

watershed

Banned
I dont care if the other movies had random monster scenes, I dont like the scene.

Well that's too bad for you then. The scene shows good Han humor, starts the crossbow gag, shows Rey saving Finn which is also a back and forth as they go throughout the movie saving each other and building their relationship, and is generally a fun sequence that feels very Star Wars.

Zereta

Well that's too bad for you then. The scene shows good Han humor, starts the crossbow gag, shows Rey saving Finn which is also a back and forth as they go throughout the movie saving each other and building their relationship, and is generally a fun sequence that feels very Star Wars.

It also sets Rey up as being #special, when she feels her way into knowing exactly when to shut the doors to save Finn from the Rathars.

Surfinn

that's like the opposite of trying hard

you're just talking to talk now
Taking just to talk? You've literally provided no criticism and dismissed the entirety of the the film post opening scene as being bad. And seeing you've got nothing useful to say I'm done engaging.

It's hard to believe they're done shooting. Wonder when we do get the title..

Mr Cola

They don't this year but they'll definitely be there next year.

Disney isnt going to comic con anymore after this year, they are scheduling d23 during the timezone to compete with it, dont ask me why.

Mr Cola

Oh really? Guess they want all their franchises centre stage at their event.
Its not just them, alot of companies are pulling out, some have this year, I was listening to rebel force radio talk about it and their theory its disadvantageous to try and compete with so many other outlets whereas if you have your own events you can very much control the information, also security is a big issue with regards to leaks, apparently the D23 security is absolutely razor tight.

DavidDesu

Sorry I've not read too many of the pages here, so excuse me if this has been covered, or even if the real relationships are known (or rumoured to be known) but I had a thought about a potential answer to Rey's parentage.

Han and Laura Dern's character!

Han and Leia split, perhaps because Han was having an affair(s). It would suit his character. From what I know Dern is some kind of commander. Maybe she used to help out at Luke's Jedi Academy in the past, maybe has some Force power (or completely not, but that would make Rey being Jedi material make more sense). Maybe Dern wasn't allowed to have kids so abandoned Rey. Maybe she did this behind Luke's back, or maybe he helped. Han probably never found out he had another kid.

Lots of 'ifs' of course but just an idea for a twist. People float Han and Leia being Rey's parents but with no indication. Rey and Han do have a moment where they complete each other's sentence and it's clearly a "thing".

I dunno, just had the brainwave and wanted to post it in case I'm right!

sphagnum

Banned
Han and Leia were still happily together up until at least 6 years before TFA as covered in the book Bloodline, the plot of which had input from Rian Johnson. I don't think there's any other reason that their relationship fell apart other than the strain from Ben's betrayal like it says in TFA - they both drifted off into what they were good at doing to deal with it.

How are Han and Leia portrayed as parents to Ben in Bloodline? I thought I read a quote from JJ or someone else that they weren't good parents to him somehow and this was used as partial justification for Ben going to the dark side which I really don't like, makes Han and Leia lesser post OT as characters which doesn't fit and seems like manufactured angst between parents and kids is a really annoying trope that gets used too much in "family" movies.

How are Han and Leia portrayed as parents to Ben in Bloodline? I thought I read a quote from JJ or someone else that they weren't good parents to him somehow and this was used as partial justification for Ben going to the dark side which I really don't like, makes Han and Leia lesser post OT as characters which doesn't fit and seems like manufactured angst between parents and kids is a really annoying trope that gets used too much in "family" movies.

At this point in the timeline, they'd sent him away to train with Luke. So they aren't really parenting him, I guess?

Mr Cola

Composers brought in to finish episode 8 score as John Williams refuses to write music depicting Reys turn to the dark side.

John's let slip he's going to start work on VIII's soundtrack in a few weeks after he's watched an early cut.

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/08/john_williams_brings_star_wars.html

61880-George-Michael-its-happening-_zpscf5c1157.gif

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It feels like we're still so far away for scoring to begin. I really wish we didn't have another sixteen months to wait for this film. I'm so hype. D:

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'm still weirdly hoping Duel of Fates gets to cameo in one of these scores.

But not a full blown track of course.

Mr Cola

Still a year an change away though, its hard to get hyped this early

Waldini

How hard is it ... for a director or an actor on these kind of movies to NOT tell anything Episode 8 related? They know how the movie is going to be. They know what the story is ... what'll happen etc.

Must be hard as hell!

Trying to come up with something that might be just as hard ... but nothing comes to mind.

EDIT
Found it!

Imagine the Mario 64 endless stairs.
Imagine having the running shits and there's a toilet on the top of the stairs you can't reach.

Might we get the first teaser trailer this fall? Remember we got the first teaser trailer for TFA on Thanksgiving 2014, over a full year before release. Though, that was a special case as it was the first of the new movies. Still, it would be neat.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How hard is it ... for a director or an actor on these kind of movies to NOT tell anything Episode 8 related? They know how the movie is going to be. They know what the story is ... what'll happen etc.

Must be hard as hell!

Trying to come up with something that might be just as hard ... but nothing comes to mind.

EDIT
Found it!

Imagine the Mario 64 endless stairs.
Imagine having the running shits and there's a toilet on the top of the stairs you can't reach.

They will be sued to death if they tell the slightest. Even when they dont do it intentionally

Might we get the first teaser trailer this fall? Remember we got the first teaser trailer for TFA on Thanksgiving 2014, over a full year before release. Though, that was a special case as it was the first of the new movies. Still, it would be neat.
I think they'll wait until after Rogue One's out. Why shift the focus from it? Remember we got the first Rogue One teaser straight after TFA's home release. I can see Lucasfilm doing the same again shortly after Rogue One's released.

Top Bottom