• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi Survivor PC Performance Discussion OT: May The Port Be With You

Unreal Engine is garbage. This has nothing to do with the consoles IO and has everything to do with a bad port.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Fair play I figured they had bailed and moved on.

Runs fine on my PC already but the console and lower end PC experience was terrible - not sure why they didn't just offer a RT toggle day one and save all the bad press unless they have done more than just toggle it like bake in some better raster lighting or something as it was apparently weird looking in places with no RT.
SSR was broken. Series S had to it what they had and PC users that wanted to disable it got fugly reflections:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Fair play I figured they had bailed and moved on.

Runs fine on my PC already but the console and lower end PC experience was terrible - not sure why they didn't just offer a RT toggle day one and save all the bad press unless they have done more than just toggle it like bake in some better raster lighting or something as it was apparently weird looking in places with no RT.
It wasnt just lower end. My 3080 was a fucking mess no matter what i did with the settings or resolution. Constant stuttering. Especially in koboh.

i would be getting 60 fps and then boom, drops to 15 fps. i thought i was vram bound so i turned down settings to medium. no dice. locked to 40 fps. nope. lets hope they have fixed that.

DLSS is a very promising addition but six months???

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wow it has DLSS and frame gen not just upscaling. Like 140 FPS running around Koboh - fake frames or not it looks and feels way better than FSR2.
Doesnt DLSS3.5 improve RT performance on non 4000 series GPUs? I wonder if thats also happening since this game is all Ray tracing with RTGI, RT Reflections and Shadows all working in tandem. I know 3.5 is supposed to improve the IQ of RT effects but they also hinted at slightly better performance. Even 10% would be huge in a game like this.

Gaiff

Doesnt DLSS3.5 improve RT performance on non 4000 series GPUs? I wonder if thats also happening since this game is all Ray tracing with RTGI, RT Reflections and Shadows all working in tandem. I know 3.5 is supposed to improve the IQ of RT effects but they also hinted at slightly better performance. Even 10% would be huge in a game like this.
It can improve it but not in all circumstances. There was an example of it providing a slight boost in Cyberpunk but the NVIDIA engineer doing the piece said it should perform similarly. You might see an improvement here and there but don't expect it to be a regular occurrence. And I think it was around 5% in Cyberpunk.

Azaroth

Just ran around outside near the saloon on Koboh to try it out, this is what I saw.
For reference:
5800X3D
32 GB ram

4K, pretty much everything on Epic settings, Ray Tracing on.

With DLSS on Quality or Balanced (but Frame Gen off) no noticeable performance improvement. Maybe I'm just CPU limited in this area of the game, because my GPU is not at full utilization.

With DLSS on, and Frame Gen on, major performance improvement, but crazy amount of ghosting. Most obvious around HUD elements, and when spinning the camera, Cal's hair is just ghosting like mad.

Seems like weird results. Not gonna mess with it much more, I don't care much at this point because I completed my play through a couple days ago, but wanted to see if the new settings helped.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Damn it, I just deleted it from my PS5 yesterday, lol. Ah well, time to re-download it again to see how much has changed...

damidu

yeah framegen pretty much unusable in current form, probably worst implemenatation around.

Last edited:

yamaci17

It wasnt just lower end. My 3080 was a fucking mess no matter what i did with the settings or resolution. Constant stuttering. Especially in koboh.

i would be getting 60 fps and then boom, drops to 15 fps. i thought i was vram bound so i turned down settings to medium. no dice. locked to 40 fps. nope. lets hope they have fixed that.

koboh will be unfixable. it even stuter mess on ps5 it is hopeless

Reallink

Hopefully the PR shitstorm surrounding the Starfield partnership and AMD making their branding public enemy #1 with PC gamers has laxed their terms regarding DLSS.

yamaci17

i always hated how badly motion looked in this game, especially double jump

this is 1440p fsr quality vs 1440p dlss performance. dlss is a beast

image.png
image.png

fsr is a bit "sharper" but probably due to amd's cas sharpening. I gather DLSS has no sharpening involved.

even then, even with sharpening FSR always looked atrocious in movement. even quality mode is not enough to prevent that at 1440p. meanwhile dlss performance at 1440p is more than usable

i had to use fsr quality 1440p to get 50 60 fps on my 3070 in most regions other than koboh. with dlss performance, i can reliably lock to 60 (other than koboh main hub) and get much better image stability and better image quality overall. great boon. it is not really helpful in Koboh though. I went back to jedha and coruscant and I was always getting a near 60 fps avg there. all with ray tracing of course

also non ray tracing lighting is somewhat improved. Cal's head do not become glowy orange anymore. but reflection artifacts are still there.

dlss also greatly resolved the moire effect fsr has. it is still there, but much better. also notice how you can see FSR somehow skips or reduces frames within the animation. it really looks wobbly.

I kinda regret I played this game with FSR now. A mistake I will never repeat again. A mistake that will always remind me to stay away from AMD GPUs.

Last edited:

yamaci17

i can say non koboh regions run pretty smoothly at this point. like super smooth. i have to be honest I didn't have much of a complaint about them before either, but now feels extra smooth. Koboh can still be a mess. the exact super hard hitch that happens when you exit the meditation area and run towards the inner square is stil there for example. but i feel like minor improvements they did to koboh affected the overall game immensely

even within koboh, I get super stable frames once the main hub is out of vision. Fort Kahlin is still a stutter mess though. that place can be more brutal than main hub.

overall none of it still makes sense. it seems like ue4 simply can't handle open world stuff in terms of CPU. I wonder how will UE5 fare

Buggy Loop

image.png
image.png

fsr is a bit "sharper" but probably due to amd's cas sharpening. I gather DLSS has no sharpening involved.

even then, even with sharpening FSR always looked atrocious in movement. even quality mode is not enough to prevent that at 1440p. meanwhile dlss performance at 1440p is more than usable

i had to use fsr quality 1440p to get 50 60 fps on my 3070 in most regions other than koboh. with dlss performance, i can reliably lock to 60 (other than koboh main hub) and get much better image stability and better image quality overall. great boon. it is not really helpful in Koboh though. I went back to jedha and coruscant and I was always getting a near 60 fps avg there. all with ray tracing of course

also non ray tracing lighting is somewhat improved. Cal's head do not become glowy orange anymore. but reflection artifacts are still there.

dlss also greatly resolved the moire effect fsr has. it is still there, but much better. also notice how you can see FSR somehow skips or reduces frames within the animation. it really looks wobbly.

FSR is pixel soup

Adam Sandler Comedy GIF by Netflix Is a Joke

TitusTroy

with the latest patch can I now rebind movement to the arrow keys (using keyboard)?...also did they fix the Blaster stance?...previously it was not working properly if you rebinded the default keys

Kataploom

Gold Member

image.png
image.png

I kinda regret I played this game with FSR now. A mistake I will never repeat again. A mistake that will always remind me to stay away from AMD GPUs.

IDK how you get this FSR behavior, I've only seen bad FSR implemented in TLOU P1 where I rather ate the loss of performance of native in specific moments to the shimmery wet-dark interiors, but far from that in any other game I've used FSR on.

I'm actually using it as anti-aliasing in Horizon Zero Dawn since it makes an incredibly clear image compared even to native. The only issue I'm seeing is the hair that seems not to be properly caught by FSR and shows a pixelated look but it just looks like native or FSR 1 and that's because I'm using FSR 2 mod (the game doesn't have official FSR 2 support), so not a big problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom