• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Jedi Survivor | Review Thread

Wow the game is reviewing amazingly, already preloaded and ready to go. Hate to hear about the performance issues. Anyone know if that's with the day one patch on PS5 or it's just a mess technically?

Nankatsu

I'll be there day one even with the performance issues.

I sailed Hogwarts Legacy day one and don't regret it, so...

You Must Star Wars GIF by Regal

Last edited:

GymWolf

'Ill be there day one even with the performance issues.

I sailed Hogwarts Legacy day one, and don't regret so.

You Must Star Wars GIF by Regal
Hogwarts only had some stuttering with rtx on, this thing run at 1440p40 frames on a 4090...

I enjoyed hogwarts at launch aswell but it was hardly a broken game.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Probably the way that the developers are managing VRAM now that the development pipeline has primarily moved over to the next gen consoles.
See the footage posted above. The PS5 version has equally bad texture streaming.

Cerny IO is irrelevent when this had to be made feature-par with Series S...
Cerny IO has helped games like Hogwarts, Dead Space and other recent multiplatform AAA games run very smoothly on the PS5 where even PCs have struggled due to lack of vram. This is the first time ive seen a game have texture streaming this bad on PS5.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

MiguelItUp

Hogwarts only had some stuttering with rtx on, this thing run at 1440p40 frames on a 4090...

I enjoyed hogwarts at launch aswell but it was hardly a broken game.
That's what I was confused about, I didn't experience any issues. In the Survivor reviews I watched, they compared PC performance woes to Hogwart's. Which, when I played on launch, I didn't experience any issues personally, lol.

fermcr

Guess I'll be getting EA Play Pro for a month to play Dead Space and Star Wars Jedi Survivor. One month should be enough time...

GHG

Gold Member
See the footage posted above. The PS5 version has equally bad texture streaming.

Yeh just seen it's a big mess everywhere.

All of these companies are making it really easy for me to avoid day one and wait for sales this year.

Really hope System Shock turns out good next month.

Last edited:

Stafford

I read on XboxEra about the performance for both modes. I wish they had a good motion blur solution, assuming that's what it is that the reviewer is talking about. Rockstar needs to spill the beans on how they got their 30fps looking and feeling so smooth in RDR2, seriously.

GymWolf

UE4 sucks with open worlds and big levels.
this was to be expected sadly... only a handful of devs ever managed to have bigger open areas work well in UE4.
How does di2 runs on ue4 much better than this one while releasing on 7 different platforms tho?

I think there is always a human factor other than the engine.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Is exploration rewarding this time or it's just cosmetics and fucking ponchos again?

Because i'm not gonna even bother exploring this time if the majority of what you find is useless crap.

Is the map as terrible as the first one or you can actually see shit this time?

Does combat still feels kinda clunky sometimes or they reached sekiro level of perfection?
I mentioned it in my review but it's mostly cosmetics. :( I don't care for it either. There are new hairstyles, etc as well but mostly cosmetics outside of the Force-related ones in between.

Map is still a mess (at least for me).

Combat is kind of better than Fallen Order, but the Force power themselves are underwhelming. I mean don't expect any cool ones? I even had like 6-8 skill points at one point banked since I didn't know what to use it for.

I'll be posting the complete Force abilities and Stances on MP1st once embargo for it is up.

GymWolf

I mentioned it in my review but it's mostly cosmetics. :( I don't care for it either. There are new hairstyles, etc as well but mostly cosmetics outside of the Force-related ones in between.

Map is still a mess (at least for me).

Combat is kind of better than Fallen Order, but the Force power themselves are underwhelming. I mean don't expect any cool ones? I even had like 6-8 skill points at one point banked since I didn't know what to use it for.

I'll be posting the complete Force abilities and Stances on MP1st once embargo for it is up.
Mmm it sounds like another decent 6,5\10 game with a star wars coat of paint that make it reach a full 7.

Thanks buddy.

MikeM

Oh Jesus.

Wtf lol they released that?
True, but he also said he had an absolutely great time with the game, and that it was one of the best, if not the best Star Wars game in a long while. He compared PC performance to Hogwarts'. Which, I can't speak on behalf of everyone, but I didn't notice any crazy performance issues during my time with it. I'm sure and hope it'll be patched in time, maybe even before launch, but I'm not concerned.

The Fextralife review I posted goes over a pretty good amount while being spoiler free. Said the main campaign was about 20 hours on Normal. Max completion could be 25-30. Said that on Hard it would probably be 30 - 40 due to dying, etc. He said performance was pretty rough, but he was still able to enjoy and complete the game. Said it felt a lot like Hogwarts' did at launch on PC.
Looks like shit performance on PC is becoming more of a trend. Why is this so hard all of a sudden?

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
High scores for a $70 game with shitty performance issues.

Never change game reviews.
This baffles me to be honest. Like, how can reviewers acknowledge the tech issues but still give it a pass? I mean, is it because it will get patched out eventually? I don't agree with scoring it based on that since that is quite subjective given we are scoring based on potential. no?

We gave it an 8 since it's still a fun game. It's better than the first, but it didn't exactly jump a lot in terms of combat, story etc.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
This baffles me to be honest. Like, how can reviewers acknowledge the tech issues but still give it a pass? I mean, is it because it will get patched out eventually? I don't agree with scoring it based on that since that is quite subjective given we are scoring based on potential. no?

We gave it an 8 since it's still a fun game. It's better than the first, but it didn't exactly jump a lot in terms of combat, story etc.

Donald Duck Money GIF

Cant wait for steam reviews to trash this shit, assuming ofc it does run as bad as some claimed.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The latest Adrenalin driver is supposed to boost performance. I wonder how this runs on AMD hardware with the latest driver?

On a side note I’m ready for Unreal Engine 4 to die.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Looks ok. Feels like standard video game journalism rules being applied.

AAA 8/10 game gets upgraded to 9/10.

AA 8/10 game gets downgraded to 7/10.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I think I'm going to skip this one (as in not going to buy and play it at all) and better save money for FFXVI.
It's just looks like Fallen Order 1,5 and that's just not enough for me.

Last edited:

Denton

That's mainly due to CPU bottlenecks. Take a look at the GPU usage, the RTX4090 is only used at 50-60%.
Yeah seems like same problems that plagued Gotham Knights at launched. Few months later it did get fixed and the game runs perfectly now. I really hope Jedi Survivor will get to that point faster..

T4keD0wN

Unreal engine really is a plague on PC gaming.

I hope this gets just as warm reception as the last of us did on steam and that they wont get away with this terrible release like they did with fallen order, what a joke.

That's mainly due to CPU bottlenecks. Take a look at the GPU usage, the RTX4090 is only used at 50-60%.
Thats with 5900x, dear god.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned

What are the tech issues?

I've noticed that the idea of what constitutes as "tech issues" varies from person to person.

For example, I always play games in Quality mode, rather than Performance mode, and only notice framerate issues if they're particularly bad. If a game is a consistent, or close to it, 30fps, I will never notice any performance issues. I honestly cannot tell you which games I've played have been 30fps and which were 60fps.

So, if I were reviewing a game, it would be based on Quality mode and would only reference tech issues if they were incredibly blatant to me.

Stafford

XboxEra reviews speaks of how it looks fuzzy, 1440p in performance mode. So not only that but also far from a great performance mode. And the quality mode is ruined thanks to what sounds like a horrible blur. Great.

john2gr

Yeah seems like same problems that plagued Gotham Knights at launched. Few months later it did get fixed and the game runs perfectly now. I really hope Jedi Survivor will get to that point faster..

Since we're talking about a CPU bottleneck, I'm curious if someone tested the game without its Ray Tracing effects. In theory, this should provide a major performance boost (as RT can bring a MAJOR CPU hit. Take for example The Callisto Protocol).

Last edited:
LOL EA sent me the review code just now, but I am out of town until tomorrow. GG I got cucked. Will still have to get the job. Weeeeee

Top Bottom