• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor takes No.1, but sales down on its predecessor | UK Boxed Charts

yazenov

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is this week's UK boxed No.1, and the second biggest game launch of the year.

The EA game sits behind Hogwarts Legacy but well ahead of Resident Evil 4 in this year's list of fastest-selling boxed games in the UK. It is also the eighth biggest Star Wars boxed release from the last 30 years.

However, the game's opening week's sales are 35% lower than what its predecessor, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, managed. This chart is only boxed sales, and although Fallen Order was only released in 2019, digital accelerated quite a bit during the pandemic. Therefore, the comparison may not be quite so negative when the full data is in later in the week.

82% of the game's sales were on PS5, while 18% were on Xbox. Again, this will likely change when the digital data arrives, due to the popularity of digital on Xbox platforms.

Here is the GfK UK Boxed Top Ten for the week ending April 29, 2023:

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
New Entry1Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
12Dead Island 2
53FIFA 23
44Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
75Hogwarts Legacy
66Super Mario Odyssey
57Minecraft (Switch)
28Minecraft Legends
129Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
810Resident Evil 4 Remake

Last edited:

Skifi28

Now imagine when all these people start the game up and are greeted with that amazing image quality and performance.

I can hear their collective sigh from here.

Last edited:

yazenov

who cares its broken? Its Star Wars. People will buy it anyway. EA knew.
I think casual gamers don't know about technical stuff to care. As long as it looks ok visually they will buy it. Digital Foundry caters to people like us on forums. Most reviewers won't mention or care about technical issues.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
who cares its broken? Its Star Wars. People will buy it anyway. EA knew.

Some people don't even recognise it's broken. I was talking to a friend the other day who is through and through a casual gamer (buys COD, FIFA and 1-2 other games a year) and he was gushing about it. He bought it on PS5.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Gambit2483

82% vs 18%

It's almost to the point where they might stop even making Xbox Disc releases
Physically (sales wise) MS is getting crushed by Sony in UK, Non existent in Japan, and scraping up the leftover crumbs from Nintendo and Sony in the US...geez.

Hate to say it but I think MS physical game days are coming to an end. Expect them to push Gamepass/digital even harder moving forward.

Anyone thinking digital saves Xbox here, it doesn't. The GDK (I think that's their name, can't recall) provided data showing in the UK, PS digital is almost 2x higher than Xbox.

So statistically, this game probably at best did around 17% of total sales on Xbox platforms, console-wise. The other 83% would be on PlayStation. No matter how you cut it, that is a pathetically abysmal share for Xbox and shows just how bad the platform has become for 3P software sales of most big games. How much of this is attributable to Game Pass? Hard to say. But it's at least part of a factor for sure.

The only way Microsoft can reverse it is by actually prioritizing software sales again themselves, meaning they'd have to end Day 1 Game Pass support at least for their own titles. And they absolutely would, if they knew the games could sell at high volumes. But RedFall's going to be a massive underperformer; their hopes would lie in Starfield and, well, that's Day 1 on Game Pass 😕

Physically (sales wise) MS is getting crushed by Sony in UK, Non existent in Japan, and scraping up the leftover crumbs from Nintendo and Sony in the US...geez.

Hate to say it but I think MS physical game days are coming to an end. Expect them to push Gamepass/digital even harder moving forward.

Digital sales aren't saving them in the UK, either, and that probably repeats in the US, not to mention other markets where Xbox is much further behind PlayStation.

This game likely didn't even move 18% of its total sales on Xbox platforms, that's how bad it is.

yazenov

Last edited:
Resident Evil 4's boxed sales

86% PS
14% Xbox

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

82% PS
18% Xbox

Klosshufvud Klosshufvud Splits for Star Wars Jedi: Survivor looks similar to RE4 Remake, despite it not being Japanese. Nor did the franchise "originate" on Playstation. Your thoughts?

Just really shows how outside of maybe COD and some of the sports games, physical sales on Xbox platforms have pretty much collapsed, even in stronghold markets like the UK.

The fact PS has almost 2:1 lead in digital sales over Xbox in a market like the UK is the really troubling part, though, because it kills the narrative that Xbox "makes up" for the lack of physical sales through digital. In most cases, they don't. And, if that ratio is for the UK, and the UK & US markets are relatively similar, then chances are that ratio is somewhat similar in the US. Say it's even just 1.5:1 instead of 2:1; that is still a digital sales advantage for PlayStation and that's in addition to the known physical sales advantage.

So it's fair to say that outside of games like COD and some sports titles, software sales as a whole have basically collapsed on Xbox, and that should be pretty troubling.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
82% of the game's sales were on PS5, while 18% were on Xbox.
20230501_175701b9c95.gif

yazenov

Just really shows how outside of maybe COD and some of the sports games, physical sales on Xbox platforms have pretty much collapsed, even in stronghold markets like the UK.

The fact PS has almost 2:1 lead in digital sales over Xbox in a market like the UK is the really troubling part, though, because it kills the narrative that Xbox "makes up" for the lack of physical sales through digital. In most cases, they don't. And, if that ratio is for the UK, and the UK & US markets are relatively similar, then chances are that ratio is somewhat similar in the US. Say it's even just 1.5:1 instead of 2:1; that is still a digital sales advantage for PlayStation and that's in addition to the known physical sales advantage.

So it's fair to say that outside of games like COD and some sports titles, software sales as a whole have basically collapsed on Xbox, and that should be pretty troubling.

Exactly, outside of these few exceptions that don't prove the rule, most software sold is on PlayStation and it isn't even close ratio-wise, despite the userbase differences.
I think it's fair to say that Gamepass disrupts software unit sales and it's not up for debate.

Did we get the GSD data for RE4 remake in the end?

Unfortunately no, unless it was posted on Twitter which I am not aware of.

Klosshufvud

Resident Evil 4's boxed sales

86% PS
14% Xbox

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

82% PS
18% Xbox

Klosshufvud Klosshufvud Splits for Star Wars Jedi: Survivor looks similar to RE4 Remake, despite it not being Japanese. Nor did the franchise "originate" on Playstation. Your thoughts?
Fascinating data and deeply worrisome for MS. And unlike RE4R which was a Japanese game, as you say, there is no actual excuse why this gap should exist for Star Wars aswell. One could only speculate as to why the gap is so extremely in favor of PS5. Are a major portion of Series owners just those that impulse bought Series S as a secondary device? I'd imagine those type of owners would drive less software sales. Is Gamepass creating a culture that $70 games are unneccessary? Maybe. Or could it be that the Xbox owners left are those that pretty much only care about the typical Xbox games of Halo and sports games? I'd imagine they'd be less willing to step out of their comfort zone.

Regardless, pretty dire numbers for MS considering how readily available and cheap Series consoles are. This will only worsen with time as PS5 will leave the premium price segment into more accessible price ranges whereas Series is already there. Whatever MS' strategy is, it's not working out.

Gambit2483

Digital sales aren't saving them in the UK, either, and that probably repeats in the US, not to mention other markets where Xbox is much further behind PlayStation.

This game likely didn't even move 18% of its total sales on Xbox platforms, that's how bad it is.

Well shit.

I wouldn't want to be in Phil's shoes right now. If Starfield fails I don't know how this man keeps his job at MS...jus sayin.

sachos

82 vs 18. I always knew Xbox players cared less about physical but i trully "saw" the difference when reading a thread on the PS5 subreddit about the poor physical version of Jedi Survivor with mostly good takes vs the same thread on the Series X subreddit, way too many missinformed people there with the usual "who cares, discs have been useless keys since a long time ago already!!1".

Top Bottom