• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor to be Featured at The Game Awards

Draugoth

Gold Member

jedi-survivor-main.jpg

Sources have said that Star Wars Jedi: Survivor will be featured at this year’s The Game Awards which will be taking place on December 8.

Insider Gaming has learned that the announcement will include a new trailer, release date, and pre-order date. It’s believed that the announcement will be made around 30 minutes into the show.

According to industry insider Jeff Grubb, Jedi: Survivor will be released in March 2023, which matches EA’s own release calander of a “Major IP” release in Q4 (ends March 31, 2023).

No. but dont expect much of an upgrade. Will likely be on par with other EA next gen releases like Dead Space and NFS.

I'm expecting it to look quite a bit better than Fallen Order.

For one, we know the game features ray traced lighting as a standard.

I think the biggest thing is ray tracing, or lighting. That’s allowing us to do real-time lighting, all the time, at a fidelity that’s well beyond anything that we’ve ever produced before. Since it’s real-time, we get to see the changes as we tweak the lights — immediately, essentially. That means that we have more time to polish, that means that we can iterate more, and we can get better results that feel more filmic.

Beyond that, we have these blazing fast drives on these consoles that are allowing us to load tons of content really quickly. I’ve always worked on streaming games — games that don’t have load screens. The fact that these consoles have such fast storage has made it even easier. Those are probably the two biggest benefits. PlayStation 5 has some really interesting haptics on their controller that we’re digging into, and it’s just an easier process in general.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm expecting it to look quite a bit better than Fallen Order.

For one, we know the game features ray traced lighting as a standard.
Ray traced lighting doesnt magically fix anything. Metro has RT lighting and it doesnt look as good as games with regular lighting.

Cyberpunk has RT lighting and it looks almost identical with it turned off. They are probably just using it to streamline the dev process.

Pretty much this. I do hope the next one is a bit more polished, the original felt rushed and janky at times. But it is EA...
they had to hit that holiday deadline. This one they've gotten more time to polish. Very cautiously optimistic this one is really going to be great. Potentially.

Ray traced lighting doesnt magically fix anything. Metro has RT lighting and it doesnt look as good as games with regular lighting.

You mean Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition? To me it looks significantly better lighting wise than the original version (even with RT enabled) and many other games.
RTGI in Dying Light 2 is impressive as well.

I guess it depends on the implementation but still, I'm hopeful that we can see a huge graphical jump similar to Plague Tale Innocence and Requiem.

I enjoyed the first one especially given the incredibly low quality of Star Wars stuff these days. Outside a couple episodes of an otherwise mediocre tv show it's been nothing but an endless sea of trash for a very long time.

I expect this will have more corporate meddling involved than the first and fall in the trash category but I'd love to be wrong.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I feel like the licensing carried it. Coming from the Souls games, it's an obvious step-down. I was not compelled to finish, but there is certainly potential in a sequel.

I'd probably be more forgiving if it were a TMNT or Simpsons game.

anthony2690

Banned
I went into the first game with the wrong expectations and was disappointed.

I just finished Sekiro what I absolutely loved. (I'm not a star wars fan)

& I was reading this interview where the developer was comparing their combat and stuff to Sekiro, but it was not even a patch on Sekiro :(

The game was okay though, I'll keep an eye on the second.

I also think the areas/levels you visit were a mixed bag too in terms of quality.

Last edited:

Banned
they need to address the issue of the collectibles not being important/ interesting enough to want to collect. I did not care about lightsaber skins at all.

I am all for lighsaber skins... they can't really add many other things as collectibles as this is still an action adventure and not an RPG with different weapon or equipment to find.

I am all for lighsaber skins... they can't really add many other things as collectibles as this is still an action adventure and not an RPG with different weapon or equipment to find.
I think that’s my point. If it’s not an RPG a la BotW or Witcher 3, not sure I care to have a lot of secrets to explore 🤷‍♂️

Banned
I think that’s my point. If it’s not an RPG a la BotW or Witcher 3, not sure I care to have a lot of secrets to explore 🤷‍♂️

BotW isn't an RPG either... but BotW can have different weapons as it's not a game about a Jedi, who basically only use one kind of weapon and they always use their own that they built themselves.

you can absolutely add cosmetics as secrets, that's a very common practice especially in older games before microtransactions replaced regular unlockables.

BotW isn't an RPG either... but BotW can have different weapons as it's not a game about a Jedi, who basically only use one kind of weapon and they always use their own that they built themselves.

you can absolutely add cosmetics as secrets, that's a very common practice especially in older games before microtransactions replaced regular unlockables.
I should’ve stopped reading at “BotW is not an RPG”. But that’s a different topic altogether.

Fallen Order had boring unlockables and they weren’t interesting, therefore I (any many others) found ourselves not caring about them, and therefore not caring about exploring. You can feel free to have whatever opinion you want, but my criticism of Fallen Order is a very common one. One I’ve heard over and over from others.

mdkirby

Did the game get much better after the first couple of planets/chapters?

It felt like a mishmash of different popular games/genres, such as Soulsy combat, Metroidvania skills opening new areas, and exploration gameplay and storytelling like uncharted. But all of those things I found were reallllly badly implemented to the point of incredible frustration....with a lacklustre main character.

I dropped it, but am curious if the level design on later areas was much better, if the skills you unlock later made the combat and exploration much less frustrating, or if the character 'grew on you' over time or if he remained annoying?

As from my own experience I really struggle to see what people saw in it, and it felt like an otherwise 5 or 6/10 game was elevated to 9's simply because it exceeded the shockingly low expectations people had from EA, by it being a pure single player starwars game not filled to the brim with grind or micro-transactions.

Did the game get much better after the first couple of planets/chapters?

It felt like a mishmash of different popular games/genres, such as Soulsy combat, Metroidvania skills opening new areas, and exploration gameplay and storytelling like uncharted. But all of those things I found were reallllly badly implemented to the point of incredible frustration....with a lacklustre main character.

I dropped it, but am curious if the level design on later areas was much better, if the skills you unlock later made the combat and exploration much less frustrating, or if the character 'grew on you' over time or if he remained annoying?

As from my own experience I really struggle to see what people saw in it, and it felt like an otherwise 5 or 6/10 game was elevated to 9's simply because it exceeded the shockingly low expectations people had from EA, by it being a pure single player starwars game not filled to the brim with grind or micro-transactions.

It doesnt. The ending sequence is awesome but thats about it. It's a salad of multiple genres/games and it doesnt really excel at any of them, whether its the souls combat(very buggy and janky, especially the animations), the exploration(level design was annoying, nice when its linear/metroidvania'ish but it felt outdated as hell) and the platforming(was shit). Ofc it has the token strong black woman that form some fucking reason
can withstand the strogest fucking sith ever, Vader
which was pathetically rofl. Also the funny alien haha dude, which was mostly cringe and the cute robot. The main dude plays well tho he lacks emotion, I mean Im jumping and riding these huge platforming paths and he has no reaction at all. That being said, its the best Star Wars since maybe Jedi Knight Academy so yeah.

mdkirby

It doesnt. The ending sequence is awesome but thats about it. It's a salad of multiple genres/games and it doesnt really excel at any of them, whether its the souls combat(very buggy and janky, especially the animations), the exploration(level design was annoying, nice when its linear/metroidvania'ish but it felt outdated as hell) and the platforming(was shit). Ofc it has the token strong black woman that form some fucking reason
can withstand the strogest fucking sith ever, Vader
which was pathetically rofl. Also the funny alien haha dude, which was mostly cringe and the cute robot. The main dude plays well tho he lacks emotion, I mean Im jumping and riding these huge platforming paths and he has no reaction at all. That being said, its the best Star Wars since maybe Jedi Knight Academy so yeah.
well that's disheartening...not much reason to be excited by the new one based on that. Maybe the quantic dreams game will be more worth my time.

Top Bottom