• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT2| Sorry About The Mess...

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Man, looking at the SW boxoffice stats.. I'm still bummed [SOLO] did so bad. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it was a fun exploration of the SW universe outside the Jedi/etc.

I dont care that Solo did bad, it was just ok for me, but I am bummed that it did bad enough that they cancelled those spin off series and made them into TV shows. I guess TV is where its at now but I would have loved to see a Kenobi movie.

I dont care that Solo did bad, it was just ok for me, but I am bummed that it did bad enough that they cancelled those spin off series and made them into TV shows. I guess TV is where its at now but I would have loved to see a Kenobi movie.

I am also upset (not upset, disappointed) that we didn't get more "A Star Wars Story" movies, as I felt those were better than the ST. There is a whole damn galaxy of stories to mine from the OT time period too!

I really hope the Disney+ show is going to be good, but a movie would have been amazing.

htw6uzi.jpg

Edit: Quoting for YUGE-ness

Last edited:
The current stare of SW is what it is but you have to love the memes:
4gt8tnnlgtc41.jpg

The middle beam better hold as the one on the right didn´t come in the length it was supposed to be built.

That said. I am far along in a huge Legends re-read, re-play and so on and can finally see the worthiness of that was left behind. Some of it needed to leave the canon or at least a simplification for E7-9 to be made but the current New 52 version of it was a huge mistake. PA got the Vong wrong. I don´t hate them anymore. An "alien" 3rd side to the conflict was a good idea. Just not their Force immunity.
i-Hz3TZFZ-1758x881.jpg

I legit like Jacen now (no source material, lol) as his arc made sense and felt complete:
The stuff with his daughter and how he can´t feel a connection to living beings due to his insane powers is really good. His fall is also credible and the "peaceful society" he build leaves a lasting legacy in a way Luke never could.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

So after watching the 2:00 Extra documentary on iTunes...I think it’s clear a shitload of blood, sweat and tears went into this. Watching the dailies alone you can see a shitload of content and slower pacing was cut. No big story reveals but they did spend more time explaining Palpatines return more than the movie. Pretty clear to me they had to rush post production and cut story. In other words they broke it in post IMHO.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah im watching this doc, it's really good. they honestly should have made Carrie Fisher's daughter into a larger role.

seeing RoS for the first time not in potato cam, at 4k, honestly, it's a pretty nice looking fantasy film. dumb as a rock but fun as sheer spectacle.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I received my Special Edition Skywalker Saga 4K set today. I dont buy physical movies anymore but I figured I would do it for Star Wars. Really cool presentation!

I received my Special Edition Skywalker Saga 4K set today. I dont buy physical movies anymore but I figured I would do it for Star Wars. Really cool presentation!
That collection looks stunning! Love the presentation box. How are the bonus features? £200 seems a bit rich for my blood but damn if I'm not tempted.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
That collection looks stunning! Love the presentation box. How are the bonus features? £200 seems a bit rich for my blood but damn if I'm not tempted.

I literally just got it, havent played anything, but the presentation is really stunning! I used to be a big DVD collector so its fun to get something physical again.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
50th? No sir. That math just doesn't work out.
my bad! it's 40 =)

in fact, that's tomorrow! May 17th is the 40th anniversary of the world premiere of Empire Strikes Back!

been thinking about doing a thread in celebration. anyone else want to do that or should i go ahead? was gonna make a bunch of screen grabs from one of the Despecialized rips.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol "what kind of people" do you mean normal people that like a retro 3d shooter and don't get their panties in a wad over a stupid pun?

FxyMQj9.png

really fuck this kind of scaremongering bullshit. you aren't coddling bigots by having a single bottle with a pun on it. this is RIDICULOUS

I like Star Wars and all but damn... That's a lot of content. I hope they can maintain the quality that is Mandolorian in other shows.

I mean ...yea they wont, theres gonna be some duds for sure. Star Wars has always had it's ups and downs in quality. I expect mostly good from the stuff Filoni and Favreau are involved in, the rest is gonna be a roll of the dice. Lot of the spin offs don't sound interesting at all really so will see how they turn out.

-Arcadia-

Banned
If Disney wants to make thousands of Star Wars shows at once, that’s fine. I can just not watch them if some, or all, are bad.

What I hope doesn’t happen, is The Mandalorian creative team being diced and split up between multiple shows, not unlike what happened with the Arrowverse, as the whole thing tanked in quality. Too much, too fast, is definitely a thing when it comes to expansion.

If all of them actually end up good, and I have severe doubts, it should be a very fun year or two for Star Wars fans, even if you might have to take a break inbetween watching shows, due to burnout on the universe.

ManaByte

If Disney wants to make thousands of Star Wars shows at once, that’s fine. I can just not watch them if some, or all, are bad.

What I hope doesn’t happen, is The Mandalorian creative team being diced and split up between multiple shows, not unlike what happened with the Arrowverse, as the whole thing tanked in quality. Too much, too fast, is definitely a thing when it comes to expansion.

If all of them actually end up good, and I have severe doubts, it should be a very fun year or two for Star Wars fans, even if you might have to take a break inbetween watching shows, due to burnout on the universe.

They're following the Marvel model, not The CW model.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Idk why people are down on the Andor show. Rogue One is still the best live action Disney Wars outside mando, Its, dare I say, kino.

Think it will surprise some folks. Shame quote me if I'm horribly wrong.

ManaByte

Idk why people are down on the Andor show. Rogue One is still the best live action Disney Wars outside mando, Its, dare I say, kino.

Think it will surprise some folks. Shame quote me if I'm horribly wrong.

Andor is also being directed by the guy who fixed Rogue One and directed the reshoots.

Rumor is Iger HATED the original cut.

Dazraell

They seem to be following a bit different model than Arrowverse. The CW shows has characters that shared the same universe (or multiverse), but they were designed as separate series that don't really tie to each other unless they have crossovers lined up.

Upcoming Star Wars TV series are either standalone stories set in its own eras or like with the case of The Mandalorian projects, they're looking like interconnected stories that are aimed to tell a single complete tale from multiple points of view.

It seems like all of these stories, either about Din, Boba, Ahsoka and Rangers will build towards an upcoming crossover between them that will tie with everything they have planned. It's also not 20+ episodes type of deals, but series with way more shorter episode counts, so it should help with not tanking them with bloat and fillers.

-Arcadia-

Banned
They seem to be following a bit different model than Arrowverse. The CW shows has characters that shared the same universe (or multiverse), but they were designed as separate series that don't really tie to each other unless they have crossovers lined up.

Upcoming Star Wars TV series are either standalone stories set in its own eras or like with the case of The Mandalorian projects, they're looking like interconnected stories that are aimed to tell a single complete tale from multiple points of view.

It seems like all of these stories, either about Din, Boba, Ahsoka and Rangers will build towards an upcoming crossover between them that will tie with everything they have planned. It's also not 20+ episodes type of deals, but series with way more shorter episode counts, so it should help with not tanking them with bloat and fillers.

Yeah, I less mean crossovers, and more mean how the initial Arrow staff was further and further split up with every new show, until the quality was gone, and the team quartered.

Favreau, Filoni, and co., are great. I really want to see them take their baby as far as it can go. There will come a day where they all disband and do their own thing, but let’s not make it too soon.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i have a hard time imagining Feloni will be able to hold this stuff together. Season 2 of Mando had even fewer ideas than the first, just leaning on nostalgia. the last scene of Season 2 was Boba Fett in Jabba's palace on Tatooine for christ's sake. it's been filler interspersed with nostalgia setpieces. no new story. no interesting new characters. Cara Dune is getting a spinoff? who is she? lol. talk about stretching your material thin. the "Feloni/Favreau is a master" narrative i just can't buy. Mando is a mediocre show with zero story. Boba Fett has to bring Baby Yoda somewhere has been the story from day one. now he doesn't even have that to lean on. what is the story everyone is excited about? there is none. oh wait, they are trying to clone Palpatine, now i remember...

i guess people just want to see more nostalgia. i'm afraid that's not enough for me anymore. i've had my fill of post-Lucas SW backwash. seems to me like they are back to the same "throwing shit at the wall" strategy they abandoned only a year ago. maybe COVID really has changed the game and this will work. it's hard to imagine anyone not subscribed to D+ already for Mando would want to sign up for Andor or Cara Dune or shows about a number of other randos. just a weird strategy to me.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Yeah, I less mean crossovers, and more mean how the initial Arrow staff was further and further split up with every new show, until the quality was gone, and the team quartered.

Favreau, Filoni, and co., are great. I really want to see them take their baby as far as it can go. There will come a day where they all disband and do their own thing, but let’s not make it too soon.

Agreed. I still think it won't be a similar case with multiple crossovers like The CW is doing with their shows, but they will just end these after going to the event they mentioned and move towards other projects. Either way, this will probably take years until they get there.

That said, it's crazy to think how far they could go with this idea. Who knows, maybe they would try to do their own spin at Heir to the Empire, but with new characters they introduced.

ManaByte

i have a hard time imagining Feloni will be able to hold this stuff together. Season 2 of Mando had even fewer ideas than the first, just leaning on nostalgia. the last scene of Season 2 was Boba Fett in Jabba's palace on Tatooine for christ's sake. it's been filler interspersed with nostalgia setpieces. no new story. no interesting new characters. Cara Dune is getting a spinoff? who is she? lol. talk about stretching your material thin. the "Feloni/Favreau is a master" narrative i just can't buy. Mando is a mediocre show with zero story. Boba Fett has to bring Baby Yoda somewhere has been the story from day one. now he doesn't even have that to lean on. what is the story everyone is excited about? there is none.

i guess people just want to see more nostalgia. i'm afraid that's not enough for me anymore. i've had my fill of post-Lucas SW backwash. seems to me like they are back to the same "throwing shit at the wall" strategy they abandoned only a year ago. maybe COVID really has changed the game and this will work. it's hard to imagine anyone not subscribed to D+ already for Mando would want to sign up for Andor or Cara Dune or shows about a number of other randos. just a weird strategy to me.

sol_bad

I really can't wait to see Taika's Star Wars movie. I really have no idea what to expect.

On the same note I can't wait to see what he does with Thor 4. With Christian Bale confirmed as Gorr the God Butcher it will be very interesting to see how that film plays out. Gorr is not a jokey character and comes across as very serious, if Taika can pull off more seriously toned scenes in Thor 4 it will be harder to imagine him doing a Star Wars film.

It's hard to imagine GOTG / What We Do in the Shadows style wackiness. And as horrible as it is for me to admit this, I still haven't seen Jojo Rabbit so have no idea if there are any serious dramatic scenes in that film.

Jethalal

Banned
I really can't wait to see Taika's Star Wars movie. I really have no idea what to expect.

On the same note I can't wait to see what he does with Thor 4. With Christian Bale confirmed as Gorr the God Butcher it will be very interesting to see how that film plays out. Gorr is not a jokey character and comes across as very serious, if Taika can pull off more seriously toned scenes in Thor 4 it will be harder to imagine him doing a Star Wars film.

It's hard to imagine GOTG / What We Do in the Shadows style wackiness. And as horrible as it is for me to admit this, I still haven't seen Jojo Rabbit so have no idea if there are any serious dramatic scenes in that film.
JOJO Rabbit is a must-watch if you're a Taika fan (It does have humor and very well done drama). Man never misses. Can't wait for Thor 4 and his SW movie.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Just finished mandalorian season 2. One question (spoiler below)

Why did Boba Fett wait so long to take over as crime lord of tatooine? Couldnt he have just done it without his armor OR couldnt he have taken his armor from that sheriff? Seemed a bit strange but it looked cool.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

Joking aside, he looks fantastic. Especially given his age. This guy is 60. If he had a little weight in Mandalorian, and was still awesome, he’s going to be even better here.

Can he have his eyebrows back, though? Lol. I’m starting to get used to it, but it looks so freaky.

Last episode of Mandalorian Season 1, I guess. There was that long, hilarious scene with the stormtroopers, but also a lot of serious, good, direction. Not the biggest fan of him getting a Star Wars, but it could at least be good.

Top Bottom