• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT2| Sorry About The Mess...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Star Wars has a particular aesthetic, yes, and the Mandalorian got it right in a lot of episodes. I don't know enough about film to describe it, but to me the difference seems to stem from how content is produced nowadays. For comparison:

dagobah.jpg

at-at walker GIF by Star Wars

compared to:

rfgRcsFH8EeuXZbZVEYEsKeCF_q3im-r8IFguB6DLpg.jpg

rogue one GIF by Star Wars

To me, the AT ATs on Hoth look better even though I can tell they are miniatures or whatever. It isn't just the "money shots" though - it's the fact that they had to physically create like 90% of everything we see in the OT. It lends itself to a certain aesthetic you notice across every single frame. I think our brains subconsciously notice CGI especially when there are real life objects and people in the same scene. Even though a lot of the puppets/sets in the OT look bad by today's standards, they are actually real things.

It really depends on your preference. Do you prefer to notice puppets, matte paintings and sound stages? Or do you prefer to notice CGI? If you are an OT fan like me, you probably prefer the former.

Definitely see where you are coming from. even with the prequels having CGI, it still looked and felt like star wars. I am not sure that CGI itself is the issue. I think the problem is the directors. Rogue One was the closest we got to a star wars film feeling like classic star wars.

ManaByte

Question for those in the forum…Do you have more faith in the multiple upcoming TV series or future Movies?

The thing with the movies is they're kind of going for a Marvel model where trilogies are done and they're just standalones. And ALL of them are being set in time periods FAR AWAY from the Skywalker saga and characters in order to not trigger some angry 40 year old headcanon on YouTube. It sounds like Rogue Squadron, Feige's (which he apparently wants Chloe Zhao to direct), and Taika's movies are in the "future" compared to the Skywalker saga. The Rian Johnson movies were rumored to be in the ancient past at the emergence of hyperdrive and the first Force user.

The TV shows are staying in the Skywalker eras. The only one that's not connected to that is Acolyte, which is at the end of the High Republic.

The thing with the movies is they're kind of going for a Marvel model where trilogies are done and they're just standalones. And ALL of them are being set in time periods FAR AWAY from the Skywalker saga and characters in order to not trigger some angry 40 year old headcanon on YouTube. It sounds like Rogue Squadron, Feige's (which he apparently wants Chloe Zhao to direct), and Taika's movies are in the "future" compared to the Skywalker saga. The Rian Johnson movies were rumored to be in the ancient past at the emergence of hyperdrive and the first Force user.

The TV shows are staying in the Skywalker eras. The only one that's not connected to that is Acolyte, which is at the end of the High Republic.
Do you think the Skywalker timeline needs fleshed out more?…Not sure if Disney will ever truly move away from it. Is Vader and Obi Wan too big to fail at this point 🤔

ManaByte

It's Tuesday. That means it's time for some clickbait YouTuber to claim KK and/or Pablo Hidalgo is fired (again).

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Or just TROS. Do Duel of the Fates with deepfake Leia and then the trilogy actually makes sense.

No. The entire sequel trilogy is trash. TLJ being the straw that broke the camels’ back for many.
It needs to go the way of the dodo. Fucked to death.

Did they ever canonically explain why the prequels seem more advanced in technology?

I heard various reasons but that's back from a few years ago either before or right after Disney bought STAR WARS.

sol_bad

Did they ever canonically explain why the prequels seem more advanced in technology?

I heard various reasons but that's back from a few years ago either before or right after Disney bought STAR WARS.

I don't think there is any cannon explanation but I can imagine the Empire being greedy and taking everyone's money and current technology and the worlds had to work with what they had. Meanwhile the Empire had no idea how to use all that money properly and fucked everything up.

ManaByte

I don't think there is any cannon explanation but I can imagine the Empire being greedy and taking everyone's money and current technology and the worlds had to work with what they had. Meanwhile the Empire had no idea how to use all that money properly and fucked everything up.

The gilded age went away when an oppressive authoritative empire took over. But the tech in the Prequels wasn't more advanced. Ships and stuff looked sleeker due to it being a more civilized time without an empire keeping people down, but star fighters (except the Naboo N-1) didn't have hyperdrives and needed a hyperdrive ring to enter hyperspace. The holograms were blue, as opposed to color 30 years later, etc.

sol_bad

The gilded age went away when an oppressive authoritative empire took over. But the tech in the Prequels wasn't more advanced. Ships and stuff looked sleeker due to it being a more civilized time without an empire keeping people down, but star fighters (except the Naboo N-1) didn't have hyperdrives and needed a hyperdrive ring to enter hyperspace. The holograms were blue, as opposed to color 30 years later, etc.

Yeah, this makes sense. I totally forgot about the hyperdrive rings but now that you mention it I remember Obi-Wan using it, I guess it never clicked for me as I thought it was "part of the ship". Obviously not the case though because his ship detaches from the ring. Thanks for pointing that aspect out.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Remember how everything was "Sleek and modern" in the early 2000s? Lots of glossy, rounded edges? Civilizations go through design and aesthetic changes over time.

MrMephistoX

Remember how everything was "Sleek and modern" in the early 2000s? Lots of glossy, rounded edges? Civilizations go through design and aesthetic changes over time.
If you compare cars from the 40’s and 50’s to the 70’s and 80’s where car building got more automated and less artisanal hand built it’s the same thing. Also look at Maoist China and the drab sameness vs 1920’s - 30’s Shanghai.

Ionian

The best part of Boba Fett Season 1 was the Mandalorian.

Certainly begs the question of whether or not a second season is even needed/wanted.

I wouldn't be surprised if they folded Boba into the other shows, just not a strong enough character on his own.

ManaByte

Certainly begs the question of whether or not a second season is even needed/wanted.

I wouldn't be surprised if they folded Boba into the other shows, just not a strong enough character on his own.

Some of these shows, like Obi-Wan, are only meant to be single-season mini-series.

Like the people screaming for a second season of WandaVision without realizing the second season of that is Doctor Strange 2.

sol_bad

Or the sequel movies. Give it 14 more years and you'll hear more from the people who grew up on them as well.

Last edited:
Can we please move on from Tatooine? I'm so sick of tattooing and desert planets. Can we please leave desert planets alone entirely?

Is tattooing some kind of Force Nexus? All these major events happened on Tatooine it seems. We keep going back to Tatooine with significant events happening there or originating from there. But I'm sick of fucking Tatooine.

I want to see worlds with lush landscapes like Naboo. Alderaan looks like a nice place and I'm guess we'll visit it in Obi-Wan Kenobi since that's where Little Princess Leia was raised by Jimmy Smits.

I like Mustafar mainly because it's sort of like Star Wars' version of a physical Hell. Besides being where Anakin was having his nice little roast out, he's now Darth Vader self has his evil castle that was built by him and a nice dude called Darth Momin who enjoyed torturing animals and whose spirit was stuck in his mask.

Oh yeah and the castle was built over some kind of portal to the afterlife making the whole Mustafar as a Hell kind of literal.

Oh yeah because Darth Vader's Castle was also haunted by some old ghost called the Black Bishop whose story is fleshed out (ha!) In Vader Immortal.

So yeah I really like that world but I still don't want a complete focus on that either. Apparently though we're going to visit its Moon in Obi-Wan.

But you know what planet I really like? Coruscant. It's one of my favorite planets especially in the prequels. It's such a fun place. It's literally a planet wide city but after the prequels it got completely ignored for reasons I just don't get especially since it's considered the center of the Galaxy and I think even the capital of the Galaxy. Oh did I mention it's just a cool place to?

So can we get a change of deserts and Tatooine and start visiting new locations? I want to see some weird looking planets. I want to plan it that's a giant artificial intelligence or a giant Droid Factory like the cut content from Knights of the Old Republic 2.

That Halo ring in the Boba Fett episode with the Mandalorian was a great start. I really enjoyed that. Can we get more of that please?

What about that Pandora looking planet where one of the Jedi was shot down after Order 66? I think it was also featured in the non-canon now Force Unleashed.

I just want to stop visiting desert planets. For screwball's sake, stop being lazy Disney and lucasfilm. Let's explore some new planets that are not giant deserts. I feel like Anakin. I hate the sand and it gets everywhere and I already live in a freaking desert. It's called Las Vegas. How long before the Mandalorian and the Jedi visit Las Vegas because it's a giant freaking desert?

Let's finally get some worlds that aren't desert. Let's go to The Wookie home world. Let's go to another Forest world. Let's go to a world that's made up of icebergs. Sort of like Hoth and the salt world in The Last Jedi but instead it's made up of giant ice columns.

Let's go to some really spooky world like the Sith world Exxon where Darth Sidious was rotting away on his throne. Remember that scene where the emperor was on his throne rotting away and he had to eat a bunch of Psyker souls? Oh wait. Wrong universe.

But yeah Exxon is a good example of a spooky World and of course like I mentioned earlier Mustafar. What about Malachor?

So please Obi-Wan, let's get some new planets besides Tatooine even though we start there and maybe end there in the series. Please Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Let's explore Strange New World and seek out new civilizations. For the Emperor of Sithkind. Let's just nuke Tatooine from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. Let it be a monument to all your sins. Let it be your favorite place on the citadel.

Good night.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Agreed. Please lets move past Tatooine. I have a bad feeling that one of the reasons (not the only reason) is that they can reuse sets, background characters, just general stuff as its all Tatooine.

ManaByte

Today, StarWars.com is pleased to reveal the cover of the forthcoming novel Star Wars: Shadow of the Sith, tracing Luke and Lando’s quest to find Exegol in a story set between the events of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi and Star Wars: The Force Awakens and featuring Ochi of Bestoon, the Sith assassin first introduced in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

Shadow-of-the-Sith-Cover-Reveal-28djt53KP.jpg

The masked Nazi on YouTube who keeps claiming they're erasing the Sequel Trilogy won't like this.

The interesting thing is there was dialog cut from Rise of Skywalker about this. Originally Janah was Lando's daughter who was taken from him and he and Luke went on a quest and when they got to Pasaana, Luke went after Ochi of Bestoon, while Lando waited on the planet hoping his daughter would find him there; it was a direct reference to Rey waiting on Jakku for her parents.

The Jannah/Daughter stuff was cut and the scene between Lando and her at the end was added to lead into his D+ series.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Shadow-of-the-Sith-Cover-Reveal-28djt53KP.jpg

The masked Nazi on YouTube who keeps claiming they're erasing the Sequel Trilogy won't like this.

The interesting thing is there was dialog cut from Rise of Skywalker about this. Originally Janah was Lando's daughter who was taken from him and he and Luke went on a quest and when they got to Pasaana, Luke went after Ochi of Bestoon, while Lando waited on the planet hoping his daughter would find him there; it was a direct reference to Rey waiting on Jakku for her parents.

The Jannah/Daughter stuff was cut and the scene between Lando and her at the end was added to lead into his D+ series.

Not familiar with this masked “nazi” (not sure if you mean he actually is one, or using the tired “everyone I don’t like is a nazi!” Rhetoric), however they should erase the sequel trilogy, it was trash. Can’t imagine this being any good if its associated with already horrendous “films”.

ManaByte

Not familiar with this masked “nazi” (not sure if you mean he actually is one, or using the tired “everyone I don’t like is a nazi!” Rhetoric)
There's a guy who plays a masked character on YouTube, while he wears a mock SS uniform on Bitchute and makes the same type of videos but with a Neo Nazi character. He just takes his Neo Nazi scripts from Bitchute and replaces the Nazi rhetoric with "Women" and "SJW" on the YouTube videos.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
There's a guy who plays a masked character on YouTube, while he wears a mock SS uniform on Bitchute and makes the same type of videos but with a Neo Nazi character. He just takes his Neo Nazi scripts from Bitchute and replaces the Nazi rhetoric with "Women" and "SJW" on the YouTube videos.

Ah, so an actual nazi cunt. Gotcha. Thanks for educating me.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
2 simple fixes for Return of the Jedi:

1. Final battle takes place on wookie homeworld instead of ewoks. More savage, believable, & climactic battle against the empire while still retaining the "low tech vs high tech" theme.

2. To make it a little less on-the-nose, instead of a second deathstar the Emperor is in a massive new capital ship equipped with advanced heavy weapons & shielding.

Boom. Movie instantly goes from a 7 to an 8. Easy.

Vaelka

It's kinda sad how PG-13 Star Wars will forever remain now under Disney.
I want characters like Darth Talon but shit ain't ever gonna happen, she's such a cool character imo but if they ever adapted her on screen or in a game she'd NEVER stay accurate.

The New Republic stuff just looks like it was designed from the bottom up to sell toys and merchandise too, I just want some more adult stuff.
And with adult I don't just mean '' war bad ''.

I also wish they wouldn't obsess so much about Lightsabers to the point that every single character who has one has to pointlessly ignite and pose with them.
If Kotor 3 ever happens for example I really hope they don't do the lost memories thing again and that we're not essentially forced to play a force user, I'd love to play a femme fatale Gunslinger ( female Han Solo basically ) in a RPG.
Lightsabers honestly just get kinda boring after a while.

ManaByte

I want characters like Darth Talon but shit ain't ever gonna happen, she's such a cool character imo but if they ever adapted her on screen or in a game she'd NEVER stay accurate.
Darth Talon was in George’s Episode VII. He had a fetish for her and she was who seduces Ben Solo to the Dark Side. But George’s Episode VII was basically the same story as TLJ but with more Midichlorians, so the Internet would’ve hated it.

sol_bad

It's kinda sad how PG-13 Star Wars will forever remain now under Disney.

Star Wars was always going to stay PG13 with George Lucas. Nothing has changed in that respect.
<___<

Last edited:

ManaByte

Star Wars was always going to stay PG13 with George Lucas. Nothing has changed in that respect.
<___<
If he had his way it’d remain PG, but the MPAA didn’t think the Amazon BBQ in ROTS was tame enough for PG.

Last edited:
Top Bottom