• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT2| Sorry About The Mess...

sol_bad

The fellas really made my realise how pointless and useless the whole Tatooine part of The Phantom Menace is.

ManaByte

FS9lXYpVEAAuGqQ

Article says Andor premieres late summer.

Mando S3 is filmed so that’s after that.

Ahsoka began filming last week.

Last edited:

ManaByte

This honestly sounds like a delightful deviation from the typical mainline Star Wars films:

The Vanity Fair article says they're still doing Rian Johnson's trilogy after he finishes with the Knives Out sequels. Outrage Tube on suicide watch.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The Vanity Fair article says they're still doing Rian Johnson's trilogy after he finishes with the Knives Out sequels. Outrage Tube on suicide watch.

Cool, so we can expect an entire trilogy of circle jerking by a director who can’t create a good film to save his life. It will be a perfect fit for Disney’s Star Wars.

This honestly sounds like a delightful deviation from the typical mainline Star Wars films:

There is so much they can do with Star Wars. The universe is rich, vast, and perfect for any kind of story they would like to do. Hell, Marvel basically does what they should be doing with Star Wars. You have heist films, you have spy films, action films, etc all in Marvel. Do the same for Star Wars! Just need to get writers who actually have a fucking brain.

DelireMan7

After the last Trilogy, my love for Star Wars was badly damaged and thought I would not come back to it.
But I decided to rewatch the Stars Wars movies (and included some of the shows) in chronological order.

I did I, II, III and Solo.

I know people like to hate this Trilogy but I liked it lot as a kid and I still think it's pretty good overall. There are some problems here and there (notably with Anakin, especially in Episode II) but overall I'd say it's a really good and pleasant to watch.

Then Solo... It was the first time I watch it... And the last for sure. It's basically a standard action movie based in a Sci-fi universe. It doesn't feel like a Star Wars. The camera's work, the music, the whole atmosphere are nothing like a Star Wars to me.
They tried to do a lot of fan service like "look this is how he gets his iconic blaster, meets Chewbacca, gets his surname" Wait ?! His surname ? I honestly never questioned the fact that Solo was his real name but why not. You learn that he's just Han with no surname. But now you got THE origins of his so famous and iconic surname : a random Empire soldier "You're alone... Hum... Han SOLO !" Great ! Thanks ! The story I never wanted and wish I never had.

Should I mentioned the relation between Lando and L-3, a kind of ultra feminist droïd ("You need something else ?" "Yes ! Equal rights !"...), which is connoted "romantic" several time ? That melodramatic scene when L-3 dies and Lando risk his life to grab her and then pass his finger on her "lips" while she's "dying" is pure magic !
On the positive side, I like Lando's actor and I think it's a good representation of a young Lando.

There is also this scene at the end with Qi'ra and Darth Maul (but I am not 100% sure it's him)... First he's still alive after being cut in half ? And then it looks like a teaser, MCU-like, for another show since nothing happen with that. Looking the poster for the "Rebels" show it looks like he's in it. I never watch the Clone Wars show (might corrected this after my rewatch), is he also in it ?

Sorry I rant a lot and it's not my style but come on ! How this movie could have been released ?

Next is Obi-Wan Kenobi show. This character has always been special for me so I hope for the best.

Then I really waiting for Rogue one. I remember liking it quite a bit when I saw it on release but I don't remember a lot of it now xD.

Soodanim

After the last Trilogy, my love for Star Wars was badly damaged and thought I would not come back to it.
But I decided to rewatch the Stars Wars movies (and included some of the shows) in chronological order.

I did I, II, III and Solo.

I know people like to hate this Trilogy but I liked it lot as a kid and I still think it's pretty good overall. There are some problems here and there (notably with Anakin, especially in Episode II) but overall I'd say it's a really good and pleasant to watch.

Then Solo... It was the first time I watch it... And the last for sure. It's basically a standard action movie based in a Sci-fi universe. It doesn't feel like a Star Wars. The camera's work, the music, the whole atmosphere are nothing like a Star Wars to me.
They tried to do a lot of fan service like "look this is how he gets his iconic blaster, meets Chewbacca, gets his surname" Wait ?! His surname ? I honestly never questioned the fact that Solo was his real name but why not. You learn that he's just Han with no surname. But now you got THE origins of his so famous and iconic surname : a random Empire soldier "You're alone... Hum... Han SOLO !" Great ! Thanks ! The story I never wanted and wish I never had.

Should I mentioned the relation between Lando and L-3, a kind of ultra feminist droïd ("You need something else ?" "Yes ! Equal rights !"...), which is connoted "romantic" several time ? That melodramatic scene when L-3 dies and Lando risk his life to grab her and then pass his finger on her "lips" while she's "dying" is pure magic !
On the positive side, I like Lando's actor and I think it's a good representation of a young Lando.

There is also this scene at the end with Qi'ra and Darth Maul (but I am not 100% sure it's him)... First he's still alive after being cut in half ? And then it looks like a teaser, MCU-like, for another show since nothing happen with that. Looking the poster for the "Rebels" show it looks like he's in it. I never watch the Clone Wars show (might corrected this after my rewatch), is he also in it ?

Sorry I rant a lot and it's not my style but come on ! How this movie could have been released ?

Next is Obi-Wan Kenobi show. This character has always been special for me so I hope for the best.

Then I really waiting for Rogue one. I remember liking it quite a bit when I saw it on release but I don't remember a lot of it now xD.
I never thought 1-3 were quite as bad as the fandom said, although I've never been the biggest fan of 4-6. Definitely not a fan of 7-9.

I think if 1-3 was to be remade as something fans liked more, it wouldn't be a million miles away. Take away Midichlorians and some of the more egregious stuff and you've got a decent origin trilogy. The main story beats are just fine, with the jedi falling to their own pride etc. Angry awkward teenager stuff is debatably justified, because he can't just go from a well adjusted jedi to a sith without reason. Plus they made Obi Wan a fan favourite, so they can't be all bad.

Solo is forgettable. I have it on disc, but I watched it once and that's enough. People raved about this one as one of their favourites, but I have no idea why. It didn't feel like it added much of anything to the universe. Donald Glover is great and everything he does, this is no exception.

I've watched one episode of Obi Wan so far, and I try to stay away from reviews and discussion until I've seen things myself but it seems to be mixed. We'll see. I skipped Boba Fett because impressions were all bad, so hopefully Obi Wan hasn't suffered too much from Disney pumping out shows like it's going out of business. Marvel shows haven't been consistent either, but I'd like to see at least one more Star Wars show that I enjoy as much as Mandalorian.

DelireMan7

Angry awkward teenager stuff is debatably justified, because he can't just go from a well adjusted jedi to a sith without reason
I agree actually. Just by moment it was a bit too much on the angry teenage side or just the teenage side on how pushy he is in Padmé.

But overall I think the downfall of Anakin into the Dark Side is well done. Just the moment where he fully joins the Dark Side (when he helps Sidious against Mace Windu) is a bit too much. Like he kind of kills one of the most respected Jedi Master. He's all conflicted and lost. Then few seconds later, Sidious ask him to go to the temple to kill Jedis and is like "Yes, Master" full of evil. I would have like a scene or 2 for his transition after he helped Sidious to kill Windu.

I heard a lot of about Mandalorian. Curious to see it.

Soodanim

I agree actually. Just by moment it was a bit too much on the angry teenage side or just the teenage side on how pushy he is in Padmé.

But overall I think the downfall of Anakin into the Dark Side is well done. Just the moment where he fully joins the Dark Side (when he helps Sidious against Mace Windu) is a bit too much. Like he kind of kills one of the most respected Jedi Master. He's all conflicted and lost. Then few seconds later, Sidious ask him to go to the temple to kill Jedis and is like "Yes, Master" full of evil. I would have like a scene or 2 for his transition after he helped Sidious to kill Windu.

I heard a lot of about Mandalorian. Curious to see it.
Yeah that's definitely rushed. Sometimes it's played as if the dark side of the force is a virus that takes over, especially with the physical changes that come with it. But my understanding is that it's just a different way to use the force, so I don't know what the canon is there.

I forgot to comment on Rogue One. It's a weird one, because from what I remember from my one watch is there are parts I like, but they aren't the parts with the main character. I need to commit to a full second watch and see what I think of it again.

One of the things I like about Mandolorian is that it tells a story at a different "power level" (for lack of a better term) than the main movies. With the movies that centre on force wielders and lightsabers, anyone that isn't in that top tier is secondary. But Mando tells a story that doesn't revolve around that, which not only allows them to tell a story without them feeling like weak, secondary characters, but helps elevate the Jedi and Sith to the rare breed of superheroes and supervillains that they should be in a way that the movies can't truly do. I'd be interested to hear your take on how it all plays out when you get round to it.

sol_bad

Maul is definitely in Clone Wars and IMO the Clone Wars cartoon is better than the prequel trilogy. When you watch it you should look up a watch order, there is some weird fudgery with the first season or two when episodes were aired out of order. Ahsoka starts off annoying but for me she is now one of my favorite characters.
Also, if you watch the initial Clone Wars movie, it's quite bad, don't let it discourage you from watching the show.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Maul is definitely in Clone Wars and IMO the Clone Wars cartoon is better than the prequel trilogy. When you watch it you should look up a watch order, there is some weird fudgery with the first season or two when episodes were aired out of order. Ahsoka starts off annoying but for me she is now one of my favorite characters.
Also, if you watch the initial Clone Wars movie, it's quite bad, don't let it discourage you from watching the show.
I started doing this a while back when I was on a SW high, but it didn't grab me. I don't want to skip any, but I also don't want to slog through boring stuff to get to decent storylines. I'm have to wait until I'm in the mood to give it another try. It will take a minute to figure out where I got in the watch order though, those early ones are WAY out of any sort of order and I wonder how it is in release order.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

THanks for this. Ya I tried and the movie I coudlnt even get through it. Would love to give it another shot.

Soodanim

When I first tried chronological order, I didn't realise such a convenient linked list existed. I tried to copy paste but it exceeds the 30,000 character limit thanks to the URLs, so bookmark this page like I'm about to:

Last edited:

sol_bad

I finished the 1st season and the 1st 2 episodes of season 2 of Rebels. Pretty great little show, I'm fully invested in these characters.

Once again, a Star EWars TV show outshining the movies, including The original trilogy.

I really love the old expanded universe that is now dubbed Legends.

I was thinking though that it is possible to make Legends somewhat canon. That's because in the new canon, you have this round called the World Between Worlds. From my understanding, you can access other worlds or realities from it and even time travel to change certain events.

So in a way, it might be possible that the old expanded universe can still be official to a degree. I know it's wishful thinking but it is an idea.

TuFaN

I really love the old expanded universe that is now dubbed Legends.

I was thinking though that it is possible to make Legends somewhat canon. That's because in the new canon, you have this round called the World Between Worlds. From my understanding, you can access other worlds or realities from it and even time travel to change certain events.

So in a way, it might be possible that the old expanded universe can still be official to a degree. I know it's wishful thinking but it is an idea.
To be absolutely honest I loved seeing Obi Wan Kenobi again

Top Bottom