• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT2| Sorry About The Mess...

ManaByte

9MbO5rM.jpg

Movies
December 22, 2023 - Rogue Squadron
December 19, 2025 - Untitled Movie
December 17, 2027 - Untitled Movie
TBA - Taika Waititi's movie set in a new time period. His will likely fall into one of the untitled dates above.

Disney+
The Bad Batch - May 4, 2021
The Book of Boba Fett - December 2021
The Mandalorian Season 3 - 2022
Andor - 2022
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 2022
Ahsoka - TBA
Rangers of the New Republic - TBA?
Lando - TBA
The Acolyte - TBA

Spoiler Policy
1. Spoiler tag anything that's from an unreleased movie and not in officially released marketing material.
2. If it's in a trailer, TV spot, or on an official poster; it's not a spoiler.
3. No unmarked Disney+ spoilers until the Monday following the episode's Friday premiere.

RECOMMENDED READING

F3McOTL.jpg
coI6Ibp.jpg
frPhJFd.jpg

J.W. Rinzler's three "Making of" tomes about the Original Trilogy are must reads for anyone interested in Star Wars. Given unprecedented access to the Lucasfilm's archives, they put the full development and filming of all three movies on display for all to see; warts and all. The three books will tell you everything you ever need to know about the making and development of the Original Trilogy, and they debunk many urban legends about George Lucas and the movies that persist on the Internet. They're available in print, but the digital eBook versions are much superior (and cheaper). They include audio and video extras that aren't available anywhere else, such as the English language version of "Yub nub"!

Last edited:

ManaByte

“On this one, I let myself be, at least in the way I was approaching the thing, freer,” he said. “In Episode 7, I was adhering to a kind of approach that felt right for Star Wars in my head. It was about finding a visual language, like shooting on locations and doing practical things as much as possible. And we continue that in Episode 9, but I also found myself doing things that I’m not sure I would have been as daring to do on Episode 7.”

Rian helped remind me that that’s why we’re on these movies – not to just do something that you’ve seen before,” Abrams said. “I won’t say that I felt constrained or limited on 7, but I found myself wanting to do something that felt more consistent with the original trilogy than not. And on 9, I found myself feeling like I’m just gonna go for it a bit more.”

giphy.gif

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
On a happier note, I enjoyed reading these when I was younger:

wju4bfmprn3u0s7xkn0v.png

The short-story format worked really well since the focus was on small-time characters. The titles were embossed and shiny which added the cool factor for a kid like me.

I was also playing Decipher's Star Wars CCG which added its own flavor to the SW universe by highlighting all these lesser-known aspects of the universe. Some favorites (which are likely now considered non-canon):

- the fate of the Tonnika Sisters
- the "soup drinker" Dannik Jerriko
- the backstory of bounty hunters like Dengar and 4-LOM
- what happened to Jabba's twilek advisor

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I'm all about the expanded universe TBH. Read tons of books and comics when I was younger.

I'm going back to read what I missed now (slowly). For the new cannon I just watch the films which is fine too. I did read the new Darth Vader comic series from a couple years ago that was good too.

ManaByte

I'm all about the expanded universe TBH. Read tons of books and comics when I was younger.

I'm going back to read what I missed now (slowly). For the new cannon I just watch the films which is fine too. I did read the new Darth Vader comic series from a couple years ago that was good too.

The Vader comic is great. The regular Star Wars comic WAS boring because it was stuck between ANH and ESB for so long, but now they're moving to ESB > ROTJ. The Han Solo mini was great too. George loved it so much he bought all of the original art.

I was thinking about this today...

How it's the "B-Sides" of Star Wars since Disney purchase that has been great. Vader Comics, Rebels, Rouge One, Fallen Order. The big release stuff (ST, Battlefronts) have been pooh.

So weird

I really like most of the newer films (Solo kind of sucks, but it was predestined to kind of suck). But I’m happy to see that people are bringing up the comics and whatnot as legitimately good, because hell yeah. The Vader stuff especially has just been :messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire:.

Still need to play Fallen Order. And fuck, I wish the new canon would do Shadows of the Empire.

#Phonepunk#

Banned

really nice full analysis of the Empire Strikes Back. he discusses the unusual lighting they use throughout the movie and the heavy use of the color orange for emotional emphasis. for instance, in the Hoth Rebel Base, they are in a dark cave, contrasting to the bright snowy white outside. the set is darkly lit, without using much main lights, all the actors are lit from below or to the side with fill lights. the movie uses a lot of realistic lighting, outside of the choice to shoot our characters lit from below.

leia-1512661264.jpg

latest

this same lighting is used again later on, when our heroes are captured, but rather than standard lighting, the lighting is orange. the color orange is used to light our characters from underneath. this is strong visual language indicating danger.

upon their initial arrival to Cloud City, when they are flying through the Bespin clouds, the sky is filled with the orange of a sunset, itself signifier some sort of danger. notice the Bespin transports are also orange. notice the Falcon, tiny in the frame, heading towards that ominous black cloud.

bespin-bio-1-cropped_c494157c.jpeg

colors are used in other ways as well. in this video he talks all about it, the high contrast and strong shadows used throughout, how scenes are framed, how color is sparingly used, etc. it's an interesting visual survey of techniques used and how they influence the storytelling. there is a lot of great filmmaking that went into Empire. it uses a lot of striking visuals, IMO it is a very comic book, very pulp aesthetic that is a perfect match for the series.

Last edited:

sol_bad

So I decided to go down the rabbit hole of the expanded universe and I'm using this website as a rea/watch order.

I just finished the Dooku: Jedi Lost audio "play" and I have to say that it was just OK. If anyone is interested in reading/listening to this I'll just say upfront you don't actually learn when and how Dooku changes to the dark side or how/when he helped set up the Separatist movement. You do get a lot of his back story of when he was a kid and learning to be a Jedi, a few of his missions and his beliefs about the Jedi Council and the Senate though.

CharlieTuna

Just watched Rise of Skywalker, really enjoyed it, it is much better than I expected it to be, although my expectations weren't high, coming off of the train wreck that was TLJ. I can only imagine how muxh better this movie and trilogy would have been if TLJ wasn't so bad, but alas.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
KOTOR is hard to go back to. Bioware streamlining gameplay for the likes of Mass Effect and Dragon Age was the right choice.

Also the game being set four thousand years before the Empire seems a little long considering how similar the technology is. The Empire was only around for like 30 years so its not even a big deal at that time scale.

KOTOR is hard to go back to. Bioware streamlining gameplay for the likes of Mass Effect and Dragon Age was the right choice.

Also the game being set four thousand years before the Empire seems a little long considering how similar the technology is. The Empire was only around for like 30 years so its not even a big deal at that time scale.

I've always thought it strange how tech works in the SW universe. Of course with the new canon/EU things are still kind of falling into place.

If they change things up TOO much (TOO old looking or TOO new), it won't look like Star Wars.

I've wanted to do a re-play of KOTOR but not sure I have the time/energy for it.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Quick question, anyone else not recognise the Disney Trilogy as canon?

I mean I dont to some extent.

I loved what the expanded Universe did with the Big 3, and I dont like really what the new movies did with Luke and Han. So in that respect personally I prefer the Expanded Universe as my post ROTJ cannon. I like the new movies a lot, they are great, but I am all about the EU.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

I mean I dont to some extent.

I loved what the expanded Universe did with the Big 3, and I dont like really what the new movies did with Luke and Han. So in that respect personally I prefer the Expanded Universe as my post ROTJ cannon. I like the new movies a lot, they are great, but I am all about the EU.

I haven't even seen the last one, I lost all interest after TLJ. The "let the past die, kill it if you have to" was about as subtle as a fog horn, If I'd had my choice I'd have walked out there. Then the Battle of Hoth but recreated in salt was the last straw... nah, not really. it was when they killed off Luke with one movie left to make.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I haven't even seen the last one, I lost all interest after TLJ. The "let the past die, kill it if you have to" was about as subtle as a fog horn, If I'd had my choice I'd have walked out there. Then the Battle of Hoth but recreated in salt was the last straw... nah, not really. it was when they killed off Luke with one movie left to make.

I was the biggest SW fan in the world in high school, but I started to lose interest after the prequels came out. So I kinda already went through the period of losing interest in Star Wars. Thats why I just enjoy the movies for entertainment now, but yes, Luke was always my favorite character and he was treated with such respect in teh EU I thought it was pretty lame to make him a ObiWon/Yoda copy. His character in the EU made him such a badass and someone who really learned from the mistakes of the past (while still making mistakes of his own).

Also they really did Han dirty. Han in the EU is a responsible father, who has to deal with a lot of shit. In these movies he abandoned Leia after Ben turns?

I dont want to get all into it. I liked this new trilogy fine. It was good. I am happy they established some new characters. But I much prefer the general story arc after ROTJ of the EU.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

If you like the EU I would recommend the new movie. They basically take some story elements direct from the EU, and they also walk back A LOT of what the Last Jedi did.

MilkyJoe

I was the biggest SW fan in the world in high school, but I started to lose interest after the prequels came out. So I kinda already went through the period of losing interest in Star Wars. Thats why I just enjoy the movies for entertainment now, but yes, Luke was always my favorite character and he was treated with such respect in teh EU I thought it was pretty lame to make him a ObiWon/Yoda copy. His character in the EU made him such a badass and someone who really learned from the mistakes of the past (while still making mistakes of his own).

Also they really did Han dirty. Han in the EU is a responsible father, who has to deal with a lot of shit. In these movies he abandoned Leia after Ben turns?

I dont want to get all into it. I liked this new trilogy fine. It was good. I am happy they established some new characters. But I much prefer the general story arc after ROTJ of the EU.

All the shittiness aside, the fact that they brought back Palpatine, just to have the Amazing Rey kill him, basically undoing the entire point of the previous 6 movies, was unforgivable. And healing people? If that was a force power Anakin Obiwan could have saved Qui Gon, Anakin could have saved his mother & Padme and then Darth Vader would never have existed... complete trash.

But worry not, I still have all my Star Wars shit, thoe movies are nothing to me.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
All the shittiness aside, the fact that they brought back Palpatine, just to have the Amazing Rey kill him, basically undoing the entire point of the previous 6 movies, was unforgivable. And healing people? If that was a force power Anakin Obiwan could have saved Qui Gon, Anakin could have saved his mother & Padme and then Darth Vader would never have existed... complete trash.

But worry not, I still have all my Star Wars shit, thoe movies are nothing to me.

I think we are on the same page but I would respond to your points as follows;

1. One of my all time favorite EU stories/projects is Dark Empire 1. Clone Emperor comes back and Luke goes to teh dark side. So its hard to talk shit about bringing the Emperor back. Also the Emperor is an amazing character and Ian Mccelum (SIC) an amazing actor. They needed to do soemthing to have a supreme threat after fucking up with Snoke. Also everyone complained that the EU cheapened what happened with the victory of ROTJ but by pursuing this storyline it in a way validated the EU as they now realized you had to continue the story in some way.

2. I agree that this seems way over the top and I think they shouldnt have done it. But an intersting angle is that, maybe Palpatine was right (and this was also touched on in the incredible novel, Darth Plageus), that the force can "create life", but it wasnt a dark side power at all, but a light side power that was just undiscovered??

giphy.gif

3/10 TLJ (it´s ok and Rian at least tried) lead to a huge internal backlash inside Disney but also gave us this turn as the end result of that. Everything about TROS is destined for a worse backlash. Let´s hope it puts the films on break and will leave to a golden nugget. And no more fired directory like 3 times a year. Like WTF?

Best scene: The rebels scrambling to their ships for the final fight. It actually feels like a well done JJ scene (he can be good).
Worst scene: The last one. Too much to list there.

The one total positive: The John Williams score.

Edit: JJ´s usual suspect Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman would have written a better movie (not that I like them) but I don´t fully blame all of this on JJ and Terrio. EVERYONE fucked up here. Especially the editor, if he had the final edit. Which I don´t believe.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

I think we are on the same page but I would respond to your points as follows;

1. One of my all time favorite EU stories/projects is Dark Empire 1. Clone Emperor comes back and Luke goes to teh dark side. So its hard to talk shit about bringing the Emperor back. Also the Emperor is an amazing character and Ian Mccelum (SIC) an amazing actor. They needed to do soemthing to have a supreme threat after fucking up with Snoke. Also everyone complained that the EU cheapened what happened with the victory of ROTJ but by pursuing this storyline it in a way validated the EU as they now realized you had to continue the story in some way.

2. I agree that this seems way over the top and I think they shouldnt have done it. But an intersting angle is that, maybe Palpatine was right (and this was also touched on in the incredible novel, Darth Plageus), that the force can "create life", but it wasnt a dark side power at all, but a light side power that was just undiscovered??

1 - I've never read an EU novel, I just liked the movies, so I guess if you read said novel then you probably wouldn't have been as wtf as the non EU fanbase.

2 - I'm half on the fence that the movie should have ended with Rey being posessed by Palps. Like she didn't knwo who she was because she was nothing, she was just a vessel. It would have explanied her vapid character... Anyway, movie ends and the Sith is re-born. Then start a new Trilogy...

im-rey-who-are-you-rey-who-rey-palpatine-spoiler-67465470.png

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
1 - I've never read an EU novel, I just liked the movies, so I guess if you read said novel then you probably wouldn't have been as wtf as the non EU fanbase.

2 - I'm half on the fence that the movie should have ended with Rey being posessed by Palps. Like she didn't knwo who she was because she was nothing, she was just a vessel. It would have explanied her vapid character... Anyway, movie ends and the Sith is re-born. Then start a new Trilogy...

It was a comic, not a novel. Highly recommended.

latest

il_fullxfull.703942640_pry4.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It was a comic, not a novel. Highly recommended.

latest

il_fullxfull.703942640_pry4.jpg
yeah i loved Dark Empire as a kid. used to read that intro/outro essay on the force over and over imagining the fantasy ST in my mind. it's a fine plot for a comic book spinoff. nobody was saying "oh this comic renders ROTJ pointless" because it was just a comic. it's not really a problem until you base the final film of your 9 movies series on it at the last minute.

ironically it has Luke taking down an AT-AT with the force, the "unrealistic power fantasy" that Rian ripped off for the climax of his film. IMO this is the scene he was directly referencing.

1719332-de2y.jpg

but of course like everything in TLJ, they tease doing something but have some kind of bs twist that makes it actually not the thing. so instead of amazing force Luke crushing AT-ATs we have... amazing force Luke brushing off his shoulder like he's in a Funny Or Die skit.

funny how they ended up doing a poor imitation of DE anyways but with all the fun stuff sucked out.

Last edited:
The film literally lifts total scenes from Dark Empire. I reread it the day after the film and was shocked.
ItgDAulV1aPYOoy_VrGCpW7Vr5nmP1fVLqcccEbZVLE48A3_KKOFiLM9TFTK1GOgkfwOBTxsF61v=s1600

DKLSHKvScqOJ2uFJwe0om8dKRFckEqPNacpJ4qihyp_wrkfZ2FbPcM8OHyE8LftvzCJ0tB6uZ9wL=s1600

There is also stuff in here that is mighty familiar (a good 56 issue read):

DE is a mini-series trilogy. Only the first is good and it is all over the web. George liked DE and pretty much anything by John Ostrander.
Dark Empire was controversial for the EU writers though. Timothy Zahn spoke against it. There is no way he could tolerate TROS.

Edit: I fully believe that Matt Smith played a de-aged Palps in the first cut. So just like in the comic.

Last edited:
but of course like everything in TLJ, they tease doing something but have some kind of bs twist that makes it actually not the thing. so instead of amazing force Luke crushing AT-ATs we have... amazing force Luke brushing off his shoulder like he's in a Funny Or Die skit.
Rian clearly saw this Escape from LA. Me I too of course:

That TLJ scene was actually good if you ask me. Well., the Luke and Kylo bits were.

Last edited:
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker grossed an estimated $24.2M internationally this weekend. International total stands at $511.4M, global total stands at $989.6M.
r/boxoffice

This is crawling over the billion line just as quick as Vader crawling away from the lava on Mustafar. Neither had legs. - BearCalledWinnie
Gold.

This movie will end at roughly one half of The Force Awakens’s worldwide total. That is embarrassing and shows that Star Wars as a brand isn’t just damaged. It’s broken in half. Dallywack3r - Dallywack3r
Silver.

That moment when you realize that Rouge One will be more profitable than TROS, the final film in the Skywalker saga. - nicolasb51942003
Bronze.

A fun and educative sub when the fan wank drama isn´t at an 11/10.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

this is a nice interview with animation legend John Celestri. John worked on the Star Wars Holiday Special animated segment, and was instrumental in introducing the world to Boba Fett. he starts exclusively about the Holiday Special ~29 mins in.

he has had a long, interesting career, getting started with the infamously psychedelic Raggedy Ann & Andy movie, and going on to work on many famous pop cartoons including He-Man, She-Ra, and BraveStarr TV series as well as the Dragon's Lair and Space Ace laserdisc games (he says he loves doing death scenes). always interesting to hear about the making of these great animations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom