• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT2| Sorry About The Mess...

ManaByte

Does the fact that it's from a kids book change anything about the point I'm trying to make? Nope.

Yes it does.

Kids books look like that and this:
5f62a13253a5cb0f4fde64cd_EhlJotrWAAEgKAx-1%20-%20Copy.jpg

But the YouTuber you're parroting who uses that one image to claim is all is High Republic won't show what the normal stuff looks like.

FdcIvBOcuzJBwMvmaWVt4ddh9rDzVzFBw7WCCj4FBqBbqPYQEC-dvxEcPIjgQftFm29wpnRK6eF73j8qhfWbubkBpk5SV5hzdhX97AQxcc8HhaFS-xMrUkwmhDWhcLxiWnQ1hYSGFMHGskOt9lKUTxBKQ1em2q-qFOIwGM2lFYI

star-wars-high-republic-poster-b-0220.jpg

Star-Wars-High-Republic-Villain-Feature.jpeg

elf67il7hou51.jpg

Calcium

Banned
Yes it does.

Kids books look like that and this:

But the YouTuber you're parroting who uses that one image to claim is all is High Republic won't show what the normal stuff looks like.
Who am I supposedly "parroting" here?

You seem to be under the assumption that I'm talking about the art style. I know what children's books look like. I'm saying that aesthetically it doesn't look like Star Wars. Some of the other art for High Republic does look more accurate, but when you are presenting a mass media campaign like this it looks fucking stupid to have aspects so disjointed.

Also, are people really interested in a time period where every character is a Jedi? Personally, I've always found the Jedi Order to be fucking boring. An entire series where the vast majority of characters are emotionless monks doesn't seem even remotely interesting.

ManaByte

Who am I supposedly "parroting" here?

You seem to be under the assumption that I'm talking about the art style. I know what children's books look like. I'm saying that aesthetically it doesn't look like Star Wars. Some of the other art for High Republic does look more accurate, but when you are presenting a mass media campaign like this it looks fucking stupid to have aspects so disjointed.

Also, are people really interested in a time period where every character is a Jedi? Personally, I've always found the Jedi Order to be fucking boring. An entire series where the vast majority of characters are emotionless monks doesn't seem even remotely interesting.

It's a mass media campaign. With products for 5 year olds all the way up to actual novels. You're posting a product for 5 year olds and trying to pass that off as what the whole thing is.

And High Republic isn't about emotionless monks. It's Jedi vs. Space Vikings.

Calcium

Banned
It's a mass media campaign. With products for 5 year olds all the way up to actual novels. You're posting a product for 5 year olds and trying to pass that off as what the whole thing is.

And High Republic isn't about emotionless monks. It's Jedi vs. Space Vikings.
You seem really stuck on the idea that since it's a children's book it doesn't matter what it looks like. A Star Wars product, even one for 5 year olds, should resemble Star Wars. How is that so hard for you to grasp? I'm not talking about the art style.

High Republic isn't about emotionless monks, it's about Jedi....who are typically depicted as emotionless monks. Gotcha.

sol_bad

"Looks like Star Wars"

This is the problem with the fandom sometimes. There's this huge galaxy that can be explored in Star Wars lore. And not only is it a huge galaxy with thousands or millions of cultures that could be explored but you can set the stories at any time point making things different yet again.
Even though there is so much potential, some of the fandom want these stories stuck in the usual Star Wars format with the usual Star Wars setting.

I haven't read any synopsis for the High Republic stuff but what makes you think the characters in this era are emotionless monks?

And Imperius Imperius stop kidding yourself, you have a massive issue with Disney and I doubt you will ever praise anything from them. You can tell this just based on your comment in the Wandavision thread.

Imperius

Banned
"Looks like Star Wars"

This is the problem with the fandom sometimes. There's this huge galaxy that can be explored in Star Wars lore. And not only is it a huge galaxy with thousands or millions of cultures that could be explored but you can set the stories at any time point making things different yet again.
Even though there is so much potential, some of the fandom want these stories stuck in the usual Star Wars format with the usual Star Wars setting.

I haven't read any synopsis for the High Republic stuff but what makes you think the characters in this era are emotionless monks?

And Imperius Imperius stop kidding yourself, you have a massive issue with Disney and I doubt you will ever praise anything from them. You can tell this just based on your comment in the Wandavision thread.
Coco was a fantastic movie.

Calcium

Banned

Yes, wanting Star Wars to look and feel like Star Wars is silly. There is no potential for this shit where the line "for control of the Force itself!" exists. That is a clear display of a creative team that doesn't know what they are doing. You don't "control" the Force, that's fucking stupid.

Because that's what the Jedi are...? Emotion is bad, attachments are bad, etc. The only Jedi that have been interesting have generally been atypical ones.

Last edited:

Calcium

Banned
This is 200 years before The Phantom Menace. Different Jedi.

Have they said that or are you assuming? It seems weird that they'd completely change what a Jedi is because it is set in the past. Jedi are still Jedi in the Old Republic, but in the High Republic they get drunk and bang hookers?

ManaByte

Have they said that or are you assuming? It seems weird that they'd completely change what a Jedi is because it is set in the past. Jedi are still Jedi in the Old Republic, but in the High Republic they get drunk and bang hookers?

I'm reading the novel right now. These are the Jedi that Obi-Wan described to Luke in ANH. Not the blind monks that let Palpatine take over in the Prequels.

ManaByte

How are they different, exactly?

They're not stoic ambassadors that are sent to settle trade disputes. If a system in the Republic sends out a distress signal, the Republic doesn't send a military ship. They send a ship full of Jedi to deal with it. They're basically the Republic military at this point, and celebrities to the point where the peasants read Jedi romance novels.

The High Republic stuff coming out right now is set 200 years before The Phantom Menace, about 300 years into the High Republic era. Everything is at peace, so much so that systems don't even have planetary defenses. But then these villains that are basically Vikings show up at the first phase is basically Jedi vs Space Vikings.

Yoda is in the comic that's coming out tomorrow, and he's a teenager at this time.

star-wars-high-republic-yoda-1-1235490.jpeg

starwars-highrepublic-yoda-missionoutfit-700x906.jpg

sol_bad

How are they different, exactly?

I think the Clone Wars does a pretty good set up of saying that the Jedi have their head up their arses and it's easy for me to imagine that the Jedi were not always this way. Beliefs and religion can change over time. I think the Clone Wars Jedi are a twisted form of what the Jedi used to stand for.

Calcium

Banned
They're not stoic ambassadors that are sent to settle trade disputes. If a system in the Republic sends out a distress signal, the Republic doesn't send a military ship. They send a ship full of Jedi to deal with it. They're basically the Republic military at this point, and celebrities to the point where the peasants read Jedi romance novels.

Huh. I'd be interested to know what happened to the Jedi to cause them to change so significantly in just 200 years. Is the Jedi Code mentioned at all? Are characterizations of them at all in line with the Code?

That being said, I'm still not interested enough to actually get into the High Republic. The setting just looks too sterile and generic for me.

Yoda is in the comic that's coming out tomorrow, and he's a teenager at this time.

Please tell me the comic is about Yoda conceiving Grogu. That'd be terrific.

Jethalal

Banned
Huh. I'd be interested to know what happened to the Jedi to cause them to change so significantly in just 200 years. Is the Jedi Code mentioned at all? Are characterizations of them at all in line with the Code?

That being said, I'm still not interested enough to actually get into the High Republic. The setting just looks too sterile and generic for me.

Please tell me the comic is about Yoda conceiving Grogu. That'd be terrific.
Isn't Grogu like 50 years old?

sol_bad

I'm still totally still keen for this. More exciting than Rogue Squadron IMO because we have already seen him play in the Star Wars universe.

Soodanim

I’m late to the party, but I recently went through Mando and started TCW to keep the Star Wars universe stuff going (more interesting than the movies to me). I found a revised watch order here, would you agree with that or recommend just watching them in release order? I’ve only done 2 episodes so far, as I’ve yet to find time for the film.

sol_bad

I’m late to the party, but I recently went through Mando and started TCW to keep the Star Wars universe stuff going (more interesting than the movies to me). I found a revised watch order here, would you agree with that or recommend just watching them in release order? I’ve only done 2 episodes so far, as I’ve yet to find time for the film.

Yeah I'd recommend the chronological order. I watched it in release order and some episodes confused me because they were out of chronological order. I'll be watching the show again soon and will do chronological order.

Soodanim

Yeah I'd recommend the chronological order. I watched it in release order and some episodes confused me because they were out of chronological order. I'll be watching the show again soon and will do chronological order.
Cheers, good to know. Looking at the list it stops jumping about so much after a while, which is nice.

I’ll do Rebels after unless someone tells me it’s bad. I’d never even heard about it until I saw it on D+.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I told ya'll, she ain't going anywhere. 4 out of the 5 films she green lighted made over a billion dollars and Mandalorian is a massive success.
:D

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think that light saber thing is pretty cool. I have read it is essentially a tape measure mechanism. I will still probably get one.

ManaByte

Disney is selling the Rey Skywalker saber hilt at Galaxy's Edge now, and of course the Reylos on social media are all upset.

Top Bottom