• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT2| Sorry About The Mess...

ManaByte

194475530_10223655025657448_6752994715987550417_n.jpg

ManaByte

Sung Kang says he's seen Vader and "Jedis" on the set of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Apparently there are Inquisitors in it too.

ManaByte

Ahsoka-Logo.jpeg

For now, What If …? is focusing on characters who have already appeared in live-action. But animation history has noteworthy examples of popular characters who appeared in animation first before making it big in live-action. Harley Quinn debuted in the 1990s Batman animated series decades before debuting in Suicide Squad, while Ahsoka Tano, the fan-favorite Jedi, appeared in animation in 2008 before Rosario Dawson made the jump to live action in The Mandalorian season two. Now, Dawson is leading a live-action Ahsoka spinoff for Disney+, with sources saying Lucasfilm is looking for an actress to star opposite Dawson as Mandalorian warrior Sabine Wren.

It's long been rumored that the Ahsoka series will be a sequel to Rebels, picking up where that series ended 5 years after ROTJ (Ahsoka's episode in Mando is set BEFORE the ending of Rebels) with live-action Ezra and Thrawn, and this seems to be pointing to that if they're doing Sabine as well. They also just showed Hera's origin in Bad Batch.

I am not sure how Anakin is supposed to be in Ahsoka, or OWK for that matter. Those shows take place after ROTJ, so I'm assuming he'll be a Ghost Force or be there through flashbacks.

I'm tired of TV shows. I wish they would announce and develop more movies.
You can probably thank the failure of Solo for that.

There will definitely be more movies but I feel at this point it should be something different - distant past (Old Republic) or in the future.

Besides, I'm glad they're not milking movies like the MCU. Let it take a break. The Mandalorian is pretty good and I'm impressed with the production values. Some of the SFX in Mando look better than some of the big budget MCU flicks.

If they can keep a consistent quality, I wouldn't mind sticking with shows for awhile.

But another movie, which will almost certainly happen, needs to be big while also puting something new on the table.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

There will definitely be more movies but I feel at this point it should be something different - distant past (Old Republic) or in the future.

Besides, I'm glad they're not milking movies like the MCU. Let it take a break. The Mandalorian is pretty good and I'm impressed with the production values. Some of the SFX in Mando look better than some of the big budget MCU flicks.

If they can keep a consistent quality, I wouldn't mind sticking with shows for awhile.

But another movie, which will almost certainly happen, needs to be big while also puting something new on the table.

Yes I agree. While I didnt love Solo I dont think it was bad enough to halt production of movies for so long.

While I agree that Mandolorian is awesome, and has some awesome SFX, there are times when it obviously looks like a TV show filmed on a set, and that stuff I notice.

Kenpachii

this is pretty good

never really spended much time thinking about the politics story in the movies. But its actually well done.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

They are planning more movies, and they are trying to figure out how to do them in the Marvel way where you have A thread B thread and then Thread across multiple films. Where eventually all the threads will come together in an Endgame type of way. build and build and build then ultimately face off against a big bad.

I think the Rian Johnson films are dead as nothing has been said of them in a long time.

Also I hope they get away from the main timeline and move to the old republic, but I bet they are going to do High Republic as they have their dumb book series already there..

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
They are planning more movies, and they are trying to figure out how to do them in the Marvel way where you have A thread B thread and then Thread across multiple films. Where eventually all the threads will come together in an Endgame type of way. build and build and build then ultimately face off against a big bad.

jimmy fallon no GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

This is Star Wars, give me trilogies or stand alone films please.

I wish Rian Johnson stayed at least 100 miles away from anything Star Wars. Like, Lucasfilm should have a restraining order from Rian ever approaching anything related to it.

But hey, no, let's give him more after what he did to Last Jedi.

Now Favreau and Filoni I'm cool with. I heard it's more Favreau setting shit straight than Filoni but whatever. Mandalorian is good and I'm even rewatching it. Those guys need to be more up and center especially with the movies.

Look, there's some stuff I do like about Disney Canon.

+ Jedi Fallen Order and Vader's Castle
+ Mandalorian
+ Rogue One (I initially hated it but warmed to it)
+ More consistent, cleaner canon and continuity

Then there's stuff like High Republic, which concept-wise is very interesting and I like the new ships and different antagonists like space viking and Dark Force plant-monsters rather than just Sith again. Unfortunately though it seems its writers are using to check every diversity checkbox quota.

But man, I would hope the people at Lucasfilm, whether it's Kathleen Kennedy or whoever, would have learned from their mistakes but it almost doesn't seem that way.

Edit: I'm rewatching The Mandalorian and damn, this was a really good show. I only can hope they can be consistent and put out more good SW stuff.

This is what the fans want.

This is the way.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I just watched Star Wars Visions ep2, and that made me feel good. Mid 2000's drama rock band saving their friend through music. Was not expecting that.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Star Wars: Visions ep5 "The Ninth Jedi" is amazing. A throwback to the anime style of feature films like Lensman with some notes of Ghibli sprinkled in. The best story of the series by far from what I've seen.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I guess there’s a quick look at the Obi-Wan Kenobi series that takes place 10 years after RotS on Disney+

They barely advertised this.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

You're not getting Rian's movie or Patty Jenkins'...

...but you're getting three more years of Kathleen Kennedy.

I don't want Rian Johnsons interpretation of Star Wars. Some one somewhere can help Kathleen make a good movie. Jon Favreau has been able to influence some good things out of there with Dave Fillioni. I wish they would just give Fillioni the reins, but you win some, and you lose some.

ManaByte

Do we think the Patty Jenkins film is getting cancelled due to WW84?

The story going around is "creative differences" and not really scheduling like was the original excuse. They're saying Jenkins can't deal with Lucasfilm's "plot point via committee" way of doing things now ever virtually every line has to be vetted as to not piss off people online.

sol_bad

The story going around is "creative differences" and not really scheduling like was the original excuse. They're saying Jenkins can't deal with Lucasfilm's "plot point via committee" way of doing things now ever virtually every line has to be vetted as to not piss off people online.

Creative differences seems to be a big issue with Star Wars. I'm a Kathleen Kennedy supporter but you'd think she would have learnt by now not to announce things until everything is agreed upon story/plot wise.

You're not getting Rian's movie or Patty Jenkins'...

...but you're getting three more years of Kathleen Kennedy.

Not lying when I say I would take a Rian Johnson trilogy in exchange for replacing KK with Favreau pronto. RJ trilogy could actually be interesting IMO if he has good oversight and it takes place in a different place/time/characters. He just can't have carte blanche like he did with TLJ.

KK needs to bounce. How many people have gotten the fuck out because of creative differences? At some point even the nitwit higher ups at Disney have to realize that KK is the common variable and the problem here.

ManaByte

A Lucasfilm employee shared their 2021 company gift in a Star Wars crew gift collector’s group and the box lists all their upcoming projects. One side lists Tales of the Jedi, which hasn’t been announced yet.

GscSUtP.jpeg

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Woah that tales of the jedi logo is the same from the original dark horse comic... I am a huge fan of those comics

So I guess the Rogue Squadron movie got squashed but there's going to be another unknown Star Wars movie project in its place?

I'm thinking it's going to be a High Republic film.

Mike Zeroh, the #1 most trusted source of Star Wars news, will feature scenes involving Obi-Wan Kenobi's home world.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Genuine question. What is it about Post-Disney Star Wars that makes it feel so… un-Star Wars-y? Not from its writing, but from its visual design? It all feels so fake, so plasticY. I can‘t imagine its just because we have better technology and cameras. Mandalorian looks so damn perfect visually as Star Wars.

Genuine question. What is it about Post-Disney Star Wars that makes it feel so… un-Star Wars-y? Not from its writing, but from its visual design? It all feels so fake, so plasticY. I can‘t imagine its just because we have better technology and cameras. Mandalorian looks so damn perfect visually as Star Wars.
Star Wars has a particular aesthetic, yes, and the Mandalorian got it right in a lot of episodes. I don't know enough about film to describe it, but to me the difference seems to stem from how content is produced nowadays. For comparison:

dagobah.jpg

at-at walker GIF by Star Wars

compared to:

rfgRcsFH8EeuXZbZVEYEsKeCF_q3im-r8IFguB6DLpg.jpg

rogue one GIF by Star Wars

To me, the AT ATs on Hoth look better even though I can tell they are miniatures or whatever. It isn't just the "money shots" though - it's the fact that they had to physically create like 90% of everything we see in the OT. It lends itself to a certain aesthetic you notice across every single frame. I think our brains subconsciously notice CGI especially when there are real life objects and people in the same scene. Even though a lot of the puppets/sets in the OT look bad by today's standards, they are actually real things.

It really depends on your preference. Do you prefer to notice puppets, matte paintings and sound stages? Or do you prefer to notice CGI? If you are an OT fan like me, you probably prefer the former.

ManaByte

New 4K Star Wars trilogy sets for the EU. Same discs as in the Skywalker Saga set, not due for release in the US:
FJpsFkiVUAQRsBo

FJpsEGAUcAIn3ze

FJpsE_9VcAAyETd

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I wonder if we will get a big “4K” box set release.

Also wasn’t there rumors going around that Disney would re-release the original cuts of Star Wars? Did that ever happen?

ManaByte

I wonder if we will get a big “4K” box set release.
It's been out for a long time.

R.7b7fe05e62a90598d4657844c972550f

Also wasn’t there rumors going around that Disney would re-release the original cuts of Star Wars?

Literally every time there's a new home video release some clickbait hoaxer will lie and claim it'll include the original cuts. Lucasfilm said they won't do that and won't touch George's cuts.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Well shit! I completely missed it. Is it still available for purchase?

Ive got it. I dont buy physical media really anymore but I figured I downloaded the "despecialized editions" so I figure I would toss them a bone lol.

Come with a letter from Mark Hamil!

Star Wars has a particular aesthetic, yes, and the Mandalorian got it right in a lot of episodes. I don't know enough about film to describe it, but to me the difference seems to stem from how content is produced nowadays. For comparison:

dagobah.jpg

at-at walker GIF by Star Wars

compared to:

rfgRcsFH8EeuXZbZVEYEsKeCF_q3im-r8IFguB6DLpg.jpg

rogue one GIF by Star Wars

To me, the AT ATs on Hoth look better even though I can tell they are miniatures or whatever. It isn't just the "money shots" though - it's the fact that they had to physically create like 90% of everything we see in the OT. It lends itself to a certain aesthetic you notice across every single frame. I think our brains subconsciously notice CGI especially when there are real life objects and people in the same scene. Even though a lot of the puppets/sets in the OT look bad by today's standards, they are actually real things.

It really depends on your preference. Do you prefer to notice puppets, matte paintings and sound stages? Or do you prefer to notice CGI? If you are an OT fan like me, you probably prefer the former.
I wouldn't say post-Disney.

The prequels went in a completely different direction aesthetically, with shiny and sleek and colorful designs and planet-wide ultra high tech cities and ships which was opposite of the rusted, used and utilitarian design of the OT and even ST.

Top Bottom