• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Production has begun on Star Wars Rebels, an exciting, all-new animated television series based on one of the greatest entertainment franchises of all time. Scheduled to premiere in fall 2014 as a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel, it will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.

Leading the development of the series is a creative team of exceptional talent. Screenwriter/producer Simon Kinberg (X-Men: First Class, Sherlock Holmes, Mr. & Mrs. Smith) is an executive producer on Star Wars Rebels and will write the premiere episode. He is joined by Dave Filoni as executive producer, who served as supervising director of the Emmy nominated Star Wars: The Clone Wars since 2008. Executive producer Greg Weisman brings with him a wealth of animation experience with credits such as Young Justice, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Gargoyles.

Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer, Disney Channels Worldwide, said, "The entire team at Lucasfilm has provided extraordinary creativity and innovation for over three decades, and we're thrilled to be bringing the expansive and imaginative world of Star Wars to Disney XD's viewers."

"I couldn't be more excited to explore new corners of the Star Wars universe," said Kathleen Kennedy, president, Lucasfilm. "I think Star Wars Rebels will capture the look, feel and fun that both kids and their parents love about Star Wars."

The action-filled series is set between the events of Episode III and IV -- an era spanning almost two decades never-before explored on-screen. Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape. Details about the show are a closely guarded secret at this point.

Star Wars Rebels will be produced by Lucasfilm Animation, featuring many of the key talents that made Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Fans attending Star Wars Celebration Europe will be the first to get an exclusive look at the new series. Casting will be announced at a later date. More information about this developing project will be found on StarWars.com and on Facebook at facebook.com/starwarsrebels.

http://starwars.com/news/new-animated-series-star-wars-rebels-coming-fall-2014.html

Awesome that Weisman is involved!

WillyFive

After over a decade, we are finally moving forwards in time (to before where we were in Episode 4). I wonder if we will see Starkiller.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This seriously sounds like they just re-tooled the live-action Star Wars TV series that had been in development hell for years into an animated series.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Someone once posted a quick youtube vid of a group of Empire Tie Fighter pilots fighting rebels fighters. I wonder if his work ever got picked up?

Great! But oh it still hurts how they axed TCW when it was at it's peak.

From how quickly this developed, I'm guessing TCW was only cancelled in the sense that it empowered Disney to quickly get rid of any contractual deals Lucasfilm still had with WB regarding distribution etc., and hence, to allow them to fully own this series from the ground up.

Cheebo

Banned
We are still getting most of season 6. They are completing a number of season 6 arcs that will still be released (either straight to dvd/br or streaming online).

They have confirmed and showed footage from at least 4 of the arcs from season 6 we will get:

Anakin/Padme arc
Yoda arc
Sifo-Dyas arc
Order 66 arc

So we are getting at least 12-16 episodes from season 6. TCW is far from over.

methane47

We are still getting most of season 6. They are completing a number of season 6 arcs that will still be released (either straight to dvd/br or streaming online).

They have confirmed and showed footage from at least 4 of the arcs from season 6 we will get:

Anakin/Padme arc
Yoda arc
Sifo-Dyas arc
Order 66 arc

So we are getting at least 12-16 episodes from season 6. TCW is far from over.

Thank god

Moff

from the same people that made TCW?
damn, this sounds far more interesting. disney seems to make good decisions.

I've always been way more interested in this era than I ever was about the Clone Wars era. Though this kind of kills my theory that they killed off TWC to focus on the Episode 7 time period.

Moff

Clone wars was a good show.
but if we get the same level of quality but set in a time period with the emperor, the empire, tie fighters, star destroyers, vader, grand moff tarkin and probably see the birth or the rebellion with mon mothma and many new characters, this will be amazing. And i wont miss TCW the slightest bit.

strafer

aOdToY2.jpg

I've always been way more interested in this era than I ever was about the Clone Wars era. Though this kind of kills my theory that they killed off TWC to focus on the Episode 7 time period.

Lot of folks had crazy notion that they were trying to ignore everything for their new trilogy era.

Splatt

The Marvel relaunch of Spidey and Avengers has me scared of this news.

edit:

Just seen that Weisman is in charge. No worries then.

Tom_Cody

Just checked out the video.

Their talk of directly applying the original Ralph Mcquarrie concept art sounds like the best thing ever. I can wait to see the first footage.

URNwuL0.jpg

Ushae

Banned
INteresting, so this is what they cancelled Clone Wars for? Sounds like a very interesting time period to tell the story for.

Disney are really hauling ass on breathing new life into the franchise. Can't wait for Abrams Episode 7 + 8 + 9 .. and the inevitable spin off movies.

TCRS

Banned
Just checked out the video.

Their talk of directly applying the original Ralph Mcquarrie concept art sounds like the best thing ever. I can wait to see the first footage.

Yeah, I'm actually pretty excited now after watching the video. This could be great.

Odoul

So Young Justice and Clone Wars were offered as sacrifice so that this may live.

It better be good, it's got a lot to live up to.

He made the best Spidey cartoon and he made a fantastic DC show- I'll be buggered if Weissman can't spin gold out of Star Wars.

So is this them taking all those scripts Ronald D. Moore banged out for the live-action series and remixing/repurposing them for Disney XD animated? Or something completely new.

I don't think this is so much "prequel-era" stuff as it is a back-door into mining more Original Trilogy nostalgia. It's a Young Empire television show, essentially.

So is this them taking all those scripts Ronald D. Moore banged out for the live-action series and remixing/repurposing them for Disney XD animated? Or something completely new.

It doesn't sound like this has anything to do with the live action project. That was all about the Coruscant underworld; this seems to focus on the early days of the Rebel Alliance. They might mine some concepts/plotlines, but it won't be animated versions of live action scripts.

It doesn't sound like this has anything to do with the live action project. That was all about the Coruscant underworld; this seems to focus on the early days of the Rebel Alliance. They might mine some concepts/plotlines, but it won't be animated versions of live action scripts.

Thanks!

And people thought Lucas milked this series. Disney is going to take milking to a whole new level.

Again - if you just spent four billion on a dairy, you'd be milking like a motherfucker too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom