• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
why does this show look worse than clone wars

Eh, it does and it doesn't. The mature tone of CW is gone, in favor of the more fun and campy OT tone. It'll take some getting used to but I'm starting to realize it isn't significantly worse, based on the trailers.

Animation is gorgeous as usual.

I'd say its pretty significant.

Clone Wars
Rebels

The former had way better character models, more detailed scenes, and much more moody lighting. Rebels in comparison looks very flat and plain. I think the character models are the hardest to swallow. Everyone's clothing is poofy and textureless, and their body parts a lot more rounded and soft. Doesn't look real, looks like toys or clay. Probably a design choice to appeal to a younger audience.

Clone Wars
Rebels

The former had way better character models, more detailed scenes, and much more moody lighting. Rebels in comparison looks very flat and plain. I think the character models are the hardest to swallow. Everyone's clothing is poofy and textureless, and their body parts a lot more rounded and soft. Doesn't look real, looks like toys or clay. Probably a design choice to appeal to a younger audience.

TCW had no problem selling to a young demo, it had the #1 selling boy toy line for 3 years straight. The changes are budget related.

I think you guys are being incredibly hard on it, and just piling on at this point.

Or I'm just like...vision retarded. It looks downright identical to Clone Wars to me. Some of the models look straight from Clone Wars.

My big problem is the writing has taken a clear downturn, and they've put back in witless quips and one liners. They're trying so hard to make that kid cool.

Let's all step back from the ledge.

7 minutes of video that takes place on a barren planet. No real in door shots, no real vegetation.

Extremely excited about the potential of the show. The absense of a billion droids getting cut up in every episode is a plus in my book.

Other than R2, C3PO and whatever the lead droid on this show is, I'm all droided out for a generation.

Probably a design choice to appeal to a younger audience.

The younger audience that's watching clones/stormtroopers getting shot in the chest and blown to bits?

Design choice, yes. For the younger audience though? I doubt that. At least no younger than the Clone Wars crowd.

Clone Wars
Rebels

See:
Doublesith said:
Lucas personally bankrolled TCW. The show lost money throughout its run, and was fiendishly expensive to produce. It's the reason why Disney cancelled it as soon as they bought Lucasfilm.

Yes, I think it's visually pretty shitty compared to the, at times, almost film-quality CGI that TCW pulled off, but Disney isn't the sort to take massive hits on their TV shows.

Over the next month, Disney/LFL will be airing a series of interstitial showcasing the show's characters. These are animated shorts were produced separately to introduce the show's characters and tone. They are meant to be stand alones, and are not a part of any episode proper.

Here's this week's short, featuring Hera, Kanan and Chopper:

"The Machine in the Ghost".

DaveH

Here's this week's short, featuring Hera, Kanan and Chopper: "The Machine in the Ghost".
Loved that! I know some are going to give it flak for the cheesy humor, but it landed for me. I'm still getting used to the more animated and cartoony faces, but Filoni has said that was an intentional choice to distinguish the series from the more rigid, angular, and realistically animated faces of Clone Wars; and to borrow from their Disney brethren (Tangled, etc).

I'm bummed to hear Weisman isn't on Season 2... don't know what the story behind that is. As much as I'm sad to see him go, he keeps bringing me stuff that I love that ends prematurely... maybe they're dodging a curse? :p

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
This week's short features Sabine:

"Art Attack"

I uh.. ok..

stand down or we shoot!

ok shoot.

camera pans to storm troopers who kind of look at each other then the camera pans back and she is gone. it feels like the only reason she escaped is because the camera was not on her not because the storm troopers weren't looking.

am i being too picky? seriously felt off to me.

Here's this week's short, featuring Hera, Kanan and Chopper:

"The Machine in the Ghost".

I really like this one. Definitely has an OT vibe to it and I'm liking Chopper so far.

This week's short features Sabine:

"Art Attack"
This one, I'm not so sure. I'm still not sold on the young, spunky, graffiti tagging, Mandalorian concept. My eyes were about to roll out of my head before she planted the bomb at the end. The tagging was pretty pointless and her running around would have made a lot more sense if she had been placing bombs on all the Tie fighters there instead of just the one.

Rootbeer

Banned
For a show set in the "dark times" it sure doesn't feel like it.

I am digging it but not quite on Clone Wars levels. But I'm definitely going to be sticking with it, I'm sure it'll get better over time. I just hope it doesn't get cancelled after one season before it can reach its stride.

For a show set in the "dark times" it sure doesn't feel like it.

I am digging it but not quite on Clone Wars levels. But I'm definitely going to be sticking with it, I'm sure it'll get better over time. I just hope it doesn't get cancelled after one season before it can reach its stride.

They said the show is going to be more upbeat than Clone Wars.

Rootbeer

Banned
They said the show is going to be more upbeat than Clone Wars.

Well prior to some of the recent shorts it was hard to tell just to what degree. Now it is becoming more clear. I'm also disappointed in how one note and braindead they are portraying the members of the empire so far. Just hard to accept so easily after Clone Wars.

It's just good to have Star Wars back on tv again. It still has a lot to offer.

Einhander

I would've liked them to go back to the hand-drawn art style that the early seasons of TCW used. I loved that.

Rebels looks pretty good, though. Will watch.

Premiere dates:

The 1-hour pilot will air on the Disney Channel on Friday October 3rd at 9:00 pm. (It will be up on the watchdisneyXD app on September 29th)

Regular half-hour episodes start on DisneyXD Monday October 13th at 9:00 pm.

ign.com

Rootbeer

Banned
Premiere dates:

The 1-hour pilot will air on the Disney Channel on Friday October 3rd at 9:00 pm. (It will be up on the watchdisneyXD app on September 29th)

ign.com
Very hyped :)

New Star Wars is almost here! Yay! Just installed the disneyXD app cause i didn't have it yet. Had to sign in through comcast. it has its benefits, at times!

Hamlet

Premiere dates:

ign.com

Nice not too far away.
I'll give it a chance considering The Clone Wars took a while to find its footing.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hmmm well the Disney XD app has EVERY episode of Gravity Falls... nice. I hope they keep a good backlog of past episodes for Rebels so I can go back and watch them anytime instead of buying seasons on iTunes.

Symphonic

The short in the ship was really well done, I'll give the show a shot. Not a big fan of the art direction still, but it certainly looks better than it did when they were first showing it, and it should grow into itself.

Stopmotionkai

Neo Member
I think the show will start a bit slow with establising the characters within the series but it will eventually settle into a comfortable groove. It took the clone wars half a season for me to start really liking it but it get there.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'll watch the shorts when I get home, but just wanted to say that Lego has already started a line for Star Wars Rebels stuff. Think there's only 2 kits out right now:

75048 - The Phantom
75053 - The Ghost
They are great! There's at least one more coming in late December too. There may be more that haven't been revealed yet, plus surely several additional sets per year until the show ends, just like the Clone Wars LEGO sets.

I like this one. Gives you a good idea of the character too. I can already tell the Stormtroopers are going to be extra dumb in this show though.

Stormtroopers have always been dumb. The only decent troops the empire ever had were the Clones.

These shorts have me officially hyped for the new show.

Really liking the music work we are seeing in these clips, with all the little riffs from the OT soundtrack, while doing it's own little twists

There is quite a lot of rebel stuff at the Disney store already. Crazy.

At Star Wars weekends back in May/June Disney had ton of Rebels stuff already. Rebels is also being slapped on pretty much all products they are pumping out now even if it has nothing to do with the show.

They are great! There's at least one more coming in late December too. There may be more that haven't been revealed yet, plus surely several additional sets per year until the show ends, just like the Clone Wars LEGO sets.

I picked both of them up, but only have the smaller set (Phantom) assembled so far. Good stuff!

Concept17

So everyone in the Empire is a complete moron, not just the Stormtroopers. Got it.

I really liked the "Machine in the Ghost" short, but not so much with the other ones. I'll still give the show a few episodes, though.

Yeah, makes me miss the Clones and their badassness.

RPGCrazied

Will watch, might not be that great at the start, but like Clone Wars could get awesome... if it doesn't get canceled, but since Star Wars is owned by Disney now maybe not.

Rootbeer

Banned
Will anyone be making an OT since the series kicks off tomorrow?
Will this be available anywhere online (legally)?
Yes if you have a cable or sat subscription with a supported provider you can stream it for free in their apps or the website. Does that count as free though? Guess it's for you to decide :p

I don't know much about disney XD, I do know that Nickelodeon likes to put full episodes up on their website, sometimes before they even air on TV and they require no login

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom