• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been seeing posters for this on the Disney World shuttle buses. Please tell me that the main character isn't using a fucking laser slingshot, because that looks like a laser slingshot.

Of all the things in Star Wars...

Christ, I love Star Wars but that looks so bad. The animation is terrible. They should have kept Clone Wars going.

I agree they should have kept the Clone Wars going ... but what does that have to do with the animation quality? The level of animation seen in this new show is on par with Clone Wars. Not this new shows fault that it also looks like a 1st gen PS3 game.

I've been seeing posters for this on the Disney World shuttle buses. Please tell me that the main character isn't using a fucking laser slingshot, because that looks like a laser slingshot.

It's a laser slingshot. From what I saw he isn't much successful with it and to get any real work done (killing Stormtroopers) he requires the other crew members with the bigger guns.

That's just stupid.

Hes a kid, has a slingshot, lot of stupider things in SW. They show it doesn't really work as a weapon already, and we know that he upgrades to a lightsaber in the show eventually.

Christ, I love Star Wars but that looks so bad. The animation is terrible. They should have kept Clone Wars going.

Clone Wars was supposedly most expensive CG cartoon on TV, and it basically was fueled by merch sales. All the licensees putting out Clone Wars products no longer wanted to support the show as it's sales were declining steeply, so they had no choice. No merch sales to go with it, no funding for the show. Rebels will be same way, how it improves and how long it lasts will all depend on merch.

SykoTech

Tomorrow, eh? Nice. Might watch unless you need to register and jump through hoops or something.

I'm expecting a rough start that will get better as the show finds its groove, sorta like The Clone Wars. But hopefully it is much more consistent than the Clone Wars. Some episodes made it seem like the best Star Wars show ever, while others (particularly the "filler"-type ones) bored me to no end. That one arc with the droids and the tiny general comes to mind. This show sticking with a specific team gives me hope that there will be none of that.

Sucks to hear that Greg Weissman left though.

Rootbeer

Banned
Still no OT? I don't have time to make a decent one :(

The 1 hr first episode is live as of a couple hours ago. i watched it and I was really impressed. I'm not sure they could have created a better pilot for the premise they are working with. Really felt like the OT, and not as contrived as I feared it might have turned out to be. Felt very fresh. Guess my only complaint is the
Wookies
looked a little strange... Clone Wars definitely had way better looking versions. Overall though the animation looks good to me.

ghostmind

Also impressed by the first episode. Agreed that
the wookies looked a little goofy, especially the young one
, but the overall tone feels right. Stormtroopers get shot on camera and don't get back up again. If you go in expecting the grand scale of The Clone Wars, you might come away disappointed. This feels like it is going to be on a more personal small-scale, albeit in desperate times.

This is something new, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

reactions behind spoilers (will probably be talking about this at length on Full of Sith)

The visual aesthetic is literally "toys." I don't even think that's a bad thing. the characters looked like animated toys. Considering the subject matter, and the audience it's aimed at - that's fuckin brilliant, honestly.

Ezra wasn't done all that well. Hopefully he'll grow like Ahsoka did, but basically, his voice acting wasn't convincing, and they didn't animate him all that well, either. there were 2 or 3 moments total where he felt like an actual character.

Which is more than Kanan got. He was kinda backgrounded.

Zeb, however: I know that Firefly was inspired by Star Wars, but this character is straight up Jayne. I refuse to believe Simon Kinberg didn't have that character in mind when he was writing him.

Holy SHIT did they rely on Williams to carry that weight. Again - not a bad thing. If the show looks like a toybox come to life, the fact Kiner made it sound like a Williams mixtape can only help. So many classic cues dropped at just the right time. That, plus the sound effects - it's hard not to get caught up.

Sure didn't waste any time making any/all Stormtroopers completely disposable. Made me wonder why we bothered with droids in the prequels at all.

Basically - if this show moves along the same curve as the Clone Wars, it's already off to a way better start and should achieve "legit decent viewing" within the season, as opposed to Clone Wars, which took about 2 1/2 seasons before it became reliable

Also, anyone else notice Greg Weisman is persona non grata w/r/t this show? He got ONE credit, he's been completely minimized in the publicity for the show, and the actors are already saying he's not coming back for s2.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The music is pretty terrible in this. It's using cues from the film score, but in bits and pieces so as to not completely steal from the score entirely. I get using the big theme as your opening, but come up with new themes at least. It's really distracting.

Sucks to hear that Greg Weissman left though.

that's wack. i'm watching young justice again and it's amazing. great pacing, humor and action in a cartoon series. tbh i think i prefer this show over avatar too.

couldn't really get into clone wars. so dave filoni winning over greg is a big loss for me. will check this out over the weekend.

Watched the first episode, it wasn't bad at all. The animation ranged from decent to terrible (those wookies could use another pass, that's for sure) but I think it'll be fine. They went all in with the callbacks to the movies, I really hope they've gotten that out of their system. I'm sure they're all jazzed to be working on something so closely tied to the OT but there is no need to lay it on too thick. I'm excited about the new ground they can explore with this series, I really hope they embrace the opportunity and do something fresh with it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Only 1 episode and i already hate this Ezra kid much more than Ahsoka. Ugh.
They have a thing with precocious Jedi children I suppose.

Watched the first episode, it wasn't bad at all. The animation ranged from decent to terrible (those wookies could use another pass, that's for sure) but I think it'll be fine. They went all in with the callbacks to the movies, I really hope they've gotten that out of their system. I'm sure they're all jazzed to be working on something so closely tied to the OT but there is no need to lay it on too thick. I'm excited about the new ground they can explore with this series, I really hope they embrace the opportunity and do something fresh with it.
Obi-wan literally said "A New Hope" at the end of the damn episode.

obin_gam

Why did they make the Wookies look like hairy penises? That kid wookies smile. Stuff of nightmares.

The kid character I hope dies horroibly. What a terribly annoying and uneccessary person.

I dont know if it was the voice actors or the script, but the majority of the dialog was atrocious. Completely awkward and it didnt feel like anyone was in the same room.

I also feel they should have started with a text crawl explaining WHERE and more importantly WHEN all of this start to take place.

The story was quite enjoyable though... that's something...

Rootbeer

Banned
Why did they make the Wookies look like hairy penises? That kid wookies smile. Stuff of nightmares.

The kid character I hope dies horroibly. What a terribly annoying and uneccessary person.

I dont know if it was the voice actors or the script, but the majority of the dialog was atrocious. Completely awkward and it didnt feel like anyone was in the same room.

I also feel they should have started with a text crawl explaining WHERE and more importantly WHEN all of this start to take place.

The story was quite enjoyable though... that's something...

I don't share your desire but I wonder what their plans are for these characters... are any of them even alive during the events of Episode IV? Going to be interesting to find out...

Cheebo

Banned
I don't like the idea of a Jedi (and apprentice now!) running around publicly fighting the Empire a mere 5 years before A New Hope. Part of what made Luke A New Hope was he was the LAST hope (well, with Leia as the "other.

I don't like the idea of a Jedi (and apprentice now!) running around publicly fighting the Empire a mere 5 years before A New Hope. Part of what made Luke A New Hope was he was the LAST hope (well, with Leia as the "other.

Doesn't the mere fact of being the LAST hope suggest there were others before him who tried and failed?

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah I'm about 20 minutes in and I want to kick his ass lol...

They don't have to be killed, they could get captured by the Empire and frozen in carbonite.

The Empire has been trying to wipe out the Jedi. Kill them. They wouldn't "capture them". rebels sets up a storyline that can't be properly resolved in a Disney Channel cartoon.

Eggbok

The Empire has been trying to wipe out the Jedi. Kill them. They wouldn't "capture them". rebels sets up a storyline that can't be properly resolved in a Disney Channel cartoon.

Well true, but we don't know how involved Palpatine and Vader will be in this series. If and when they manage to take down the Inquisitor I don't doubt that Vader would try to capture Ezra or Kanan. Wouldn't be surprised if he tried to convert them or find out if they know where any other Jedi are. So even if it's not carbonite or anything the possibility of them being captured does exist.

Rootbeer

Banned
That was unbelieable rough and amateurish....

Damn man, I so totally don't agree. I feel like it looked very polished most of the way. And being the pilot they will probably continue to refine it further over time to look even better.

Honestly I really feel like it's more of a change of art style than a change of animation quality. They went with something that looks a little smoother and cartoony, was it for budget reasons? Frankly, if it lets them get more episodes out faster I really don't care. It looks quite good to me!

Boem

This was (and looked) better than I expected it to be from the trailers and the shorts. I won't be watching every week, but I might check it out again after the first season has ended, depending on the reception. It looked great for what it was trying to be. It was very much an introduction episode though, I wonder how they're going to keep each episode interesting.

DodgerSan

In the our real world we have guns. Kids have BB guns or nerf guns. Or slingshots.

In Star Wars they have many types of lethal energy weapons. Why wouldn't there be lower-rated versions for kids/sports?

The scenarios we've seen in the films so far haven't shown us anything like this, because it doesn't make sense for adult resistance fighters to use.

But for a street rat on a planet under lockdown where weapons are likely highly restricted, a kids/sporting weapon makes sense.

Loved the episode. It was what I wanted this series to be and I'm happy it turned out well.

Only thing that really stuck out to me was how much Ezra reminds me of Aladdin. They called him a street rat on multiple occasions, he kinda has a similar face and his speech/mannerisms are similar.

That first episode was pretty enjoyable I thought. I couldn't smell the stench of the prequel trilogy from it at all. It's nice to have a completely new cast of characters.

I never got into The Clone Wars series because I felt even if the characters were better/more fleshed out than the prequels, the only content that really mattered were the movies. With that said, I think I'm going to get behind and watch Rebels. Maybe, the appeal is that the characters are brand new so they can do interesting things that they couldn't do with the strict restrictions on the main characters of the movies, I'm sure we'll get some cameo's by some of the movie characters at some point, but I like what I saw in the pilot so far with the music and characters.

So worked as a stormtrooper at local theater premier event, was real neat to get to see this then on the big screen. Lot of kids but they loved it and cheered at the end.

As for Rebels, think it's decent. Animation is not as good as Clone Wars, but it actually wasn't bad, it's not as stiff animated as CW S1 was if you look back, it's fairly smooth, the obvious main difference is in the detail. As been mentioned, Wookies being very rough and flat looking instead of as nice and detailed with all the fur highlights we got to see in later CW eps.

The action adventure of the show was quite good, Imperials can't hit shit of course. Was surprised by the level of violence, so glad about that. I think the show has lot of promise, it was enjoyable. The dialogue was extremely hit or miss, which to me is same as how CW started. Just rewatch the movie and early eps with Asohka and how awful the acting was. Some of the characters did real good, like Zeb and Hera.

The two minute trailer for the season we got to see after the premier has me hyped, this looks like it could be some fun.

Also really liked all the use of OT sound effects and original soundtrack bits, mixed with the new stuff. Much better sounding show than TCW actually so far

Phoenix

Damn man, I so totally don't agree. I feel like it looked very polished most of the way. And being the pilot they will probably continue to refine it further over time to look even better.

Honestly I really feel like it's more of a change of art style than a change of animation quality. They went with something that looks a little smoother and cartoony, was it for budget reasons? Frankly, if it lets them get more episodes out faster I really don't care. It looks quite good to me!

I agree. While the style is different than Clone Wars, I definitely wouldn't describe any of that as rough and amateurish. I was actually pretty surprised at how well it looked given where they are with the series. I think people need to be reminded of how rough CLONE WARS looked when it first came out. It got progressively better over time, but it was hardly consistently that good looking from its inception.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
It didn't officially air, only the online early premier and the premiers going around the nation at select theaters. It premiers on the Disney channel on Oct 3. Series then on Disney XD channel Oct 13

Awesome! Thanks! I'm going to make sure I see it when it officially airs.

OK, i just saw the first Episode and it was MUCH better then i thought it would be. It's very Star wars with it felling much closer to the original trilogy then the prequels.

I'm not sure why people are hating on Ezra. He's much like annoying then Luke was in Episode 4. Ezra is kind of a punk but Luke was a whiny twat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom