• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is wiggle room here... last of the Jedi known to YODA, that is. Even if Kanan and Ezra die before the events of Episode VI when Yoda says that, how would Yoda even know they were the last? And if they don't die before him, he may not even know they exist.

Surely Yoda can't sense every trained force user in the galaxy. If he can, what is stopping dark force users or Sith from doing the same and making it easier for them to hunt them down? Kanan would surely show up and he'd have been killed long before the events of Rebels.

When something really bad happens to a life form or group of life forms, it seems to send a ripple out into the force and those attuned to it can sense that, but otherwise I don't think they really have the ability to sense who does/does not exist. So I believe Yoda was just being practical in his assumption when telling Luke that.
There is additional wiggle room if you consider they may not be formal Jedi with titles and all that. I believe Kanan's backstory is that shit when down before he could become a full-fledged Jedi Knight (in other words, he is merely a former padawan), and we don't know the extent of Ezra's training. It is possible Kanan's knowledge of the Jedi is incomplete, and he can only mentor him in the "ways of the Jedi" and not actually train him to become an actual Jedi. This would be unlike Luke, who was formally trained by THE Jedi-in-chief and became a Jedi Knight.

GPsych

There is additional wiggle room if you consider they may not be formal Jedi with titles and all that. I believe Kanan's backstory is that shit when down before he could become a full-fledged Jedi Knight (in other words, he is merely a former padawan), and we don't know the extent of Ezra's training. It is possible Kanan's knowledge of the Jedi is incomplete, and he can only mentor him in the "ways of the Jedi" and not actually train him to become an actual Jedi. This would be unlike Luke, who was formally trained by THE Jedi-in-chief and became a Jedi Knight.

There is also a possibility that Kanan and Ezra are both sort of mediocre force users. Kanan might be the same tier as that Jedi whom Jango easily blasted in Episode II. Yoda wouldn't bother to give him the "you are the child of destiny" speech as he really wouldn't have a chance against Vader and The Emperor. Probably a better idea to just have him hide.

Rootbeer

Banned
true he was a padawan during the events of Order 66, but there are quotes from behind the scenes videos that give us clues too:

"They need each-other. Ezra will never become a Jedi without Kanan, and Kanan will never reclaim his status and become a Jedi Knight without Ezra."

I'm not sure what they are implying is that Kanan is not a real Jedi until he has his own Padawan... based on the prequel trilogy I don't think it works that way (it certainly was not required of Luke), but it is true that he went so underground after Order 66 that he essentially abandoned his Jedi ways so in a sense he was not a Jedi.

They have lot of wiggle room since the EU is also gone. And the EU already itself was full of Jedi characters being around the OT and little before it. But the movies never specifically state the Jedi were all extinct, or that force sensitive people no longer existed. Lot of assumptions were made that were never stated that somehow every Jedi was gone or that there couldn't be anymore outside of Luke. Obi and Yoda hid themselves, why not others in such a huge galaxy?

Rootbeer

Banned
I myself hate the theory that Luke is the only Jedi left in the galaxy, something that you'll even hear pop up in Episode VII rumor threads. What a very boring way to go. Thankfully after Rebels it's clear that Disney isn't going to be that restrictive about it.

I loved it, thought it nailed the feel of the first 3 films well.

Agree...but after seeing it twice...the violence doesn't seem to fit the art style.

It's not that I don't think the violence belongs, because I feel that the show is targeting a teen audience as the youngest target group, with an older audience being the main targeted demograph.

The art style is very young looking though.

Still...like the premiere a lot.

true he was a padawan during the events of Order 66, but there are quotes from behind the scenes videos that give us clues too:

"They need each-other. Ezra will never become a Jedi without Kanan, and Kanan will never reclaim his status and become a Jedi Knight without Ezra."

I'm not sure what they are implying is that Kanan is not a real Jedi until he has his own Padawan... based on the prequel trilogy I don't think it works that way (it certainly was not required of Luke), but it is true that he went so underground after Order 66 that he essentially abandoned his Jedi ways so in a sense he was not a Jedi.

Kanan probably never under went the trails.

I was skeptical about the crew. When the big guy left the kid and the whole voting, i kinda like it. Its not dumb to just go back because we're the good guy
Its lame how he joined the group but it makes the story go fast

Not bad episode 1

That Stormtrooper yell. Lol missed that sfx

BLACKLAC

Pretty damn good so far.
ghvj55yak.gif

We've known they've been working on a second season already, but today DisneyXD made it official that they've ordered a new season:

One day ahead of a highly-anticipated television premiere, Disney Channels Worldwide President and Chief Creative Officer Gary Marsh announced plans to produce a second season of the animated series Star Wars Rebels from Lucasfilm.

Marsh said, “The global expectations for this series could not have been any higher. And I am proud to say that the team at Lucasfilm has delivered something that has surpassed even that incredibly high bar – artistically and thematically.”

Also in the press release is official confirmation that Greg Weisman is no longer part of the show:

The creative team behind the second season of Star Wars Rebels includes Executive Producers Simon Kinberg and Dave Filoni, and Co-Executive Producer and Supervising Writer Henry Gilroy.

http://www.starwars.com/news/disney-xd-orders-second-season-of-star-wars-rebels-ahead-of-television-premier

Toy sales have been pretty weak actually. Disney needs this though to establish XD. Max Steel was a programming and merchandising flop. And their early 2000's CN toons knock offs aren't doing much better.

Wonder what Greg is up to.....

Source on that? Rebels merch only recently hit shelves in force and we haven't gotten any financials.

I watched it this evening and actually really enjoyed it. I like the art style and the cast seems solid enough. I expected to find Ezra a little grating but I'd warmed to him by the end of the episode. I have a feeling Zeb's going to be my favourite character, he's grouchy like me. Overall, much better start than the Clone Wars. Hopefully the entire series is as good.

Rootbeer

Banned
Rebels' toys aren't even really out yet.

At Toys R Us as of about a week ago you can find the 3 pack (Kanan, Ezra and a hidden figure which is Obi-Wan in hologram form) for around $20, you can also find the larger figures by Jakks Pacific but I'm not into them. Also various stuffed toys, vehicles, board games...

But it's true the actual action figures, aside from the TRU exclusive, don't seem to have hit anywhere.

Oh and let's not forget the LEGO sets (The Ghost & The Phantom which combine!), I own them and they are worth looking into.

yencid

So is there going to be an OT for this or are we going to use this thread for it?

im actually really excited about this.

Rewatching with my son. He's really into it. Already asking if I can buy the toys.

oh and I am reading A New Dawn. Should we make a spoiler thread for the book because it reveals somethings...

At Toys R Us as of about a week ago you can find the 3 pack (Kanan, Ezra and a hidden figure which is Obi-Wan in hologram form) for around $20, you can also find the larger figures by Jakks Pacific but I'm not into them. Also various stuffed toys, vehicles, board games...

But it's true the actual action figures, aside from the TRU exclusive, don't seem to have hit anywhere.

Oh and let's not forget the LEGO sets (The Ghost & The Phantom which combine!), I own them and they are worth looking into.

I was in 3 Walmarts, 2 Targets and TRU today(looking for Arkham Knight figures)
And other than the weird figure that is like 2 feet tall they had nothing new.

When is the 2pack with Sabine supposed to release?

Rootbeer

Banned
Episode guide is now up at http://www.starwars.com/tv-shows/star-wars-rebels-spark-of-rebellion, including '"Rebels Recon", a weekly recap/behind-the-scenes video series.

Also, the next episode, "Droids in Distress" is already up at watchdisneyxd.com
Well I know what I'll be watching in a little bit!
I was in 3 Walmarts, 2 Targets and TRU today(looking for Arkham Knight figures)
And other than the weird figure that is like 2 feet tall they had nothing new.

When is the 2pack with Sabine supposed to release?
I don't know... soon? Action Figures don't have very solid release dates. They just trickle out until all the stores have them.

Action Figures don't have very solid release dates. They just trickle out until all the stores have them.
Thats not how it works.
Waves have general shipment dates, Sabine isn't in wave1.
Hasbro normally lays it out and would say W2 in late Nov/Dec for example.

They have shown her 2 pack but I don't think it even has a wave announced yet.
It will likely release before Christmas but I was just wondering if Hasbro had given any eta on that set, hopefully not spring.

(though this is all barring you don't have an item that doesn't sell)

Rootbeer

Banned
I did not research if she was in a future wave, I assumed wave 1. Otherwise, yes it does work that way, toys can arrive at wildly different times at different stores, sometimes showing up many weeks earlier than at other stores due to many factors. It's not a mystery why you see some figures show up very early on eBay from local (not Chinese) sellers, it's because there are people who are good at taking advantage of this.

Now I'm going to eat and watch Episode 2 (and then watch S03E01 of TMNT!)

Absolutely loved the first episode. Captured the feel of the original trilogy perfectly, and was no where as kiddie as the first few seasons of Clone Wars. It's shaping up to be even better than I hoped.

TCRS

Banned
where can I watch this in Germany or UK?

I wanted to ignore it but it doesn't seem to be that bad after all.

Absolutely loved the first episode. Captured the feel of the original trilogy perfectly, and was no where as kiddie as the first few seasons of Clone Wars. It's shaping up to be even better than I hoped.

That's exactly how I felt. It really exceeded my expectations and that seems to be the general consensus.

You can watch it on Disney XD in the UK TCRS. I don't have it so I managed to find somewhere online.

I'm planning on getting A New Dawn sometime this week but I think I'll have to get it on Amazon as it doesn't seem to be in any of my local bookstores.

eshwaaz

Watched the premiere twice with my 7 year old son. We both really enjoyed it. Surprisingly good for the first episode in a new series, and I agree that it captures the tone and feel of the original trilogy well. Really excited to see the show evolve.

Boem

A friend gave me his copy of A New Dawn. Only managed to read the first 3 or so chapter so far, and they're still setting the story up. Normally I don't bother with tie-in books and comics, and I was never too deep into Star Wars beyond really loving the original movies as a kid and enjoying a couple of Clone Wars eps, but it's pretty fun. I know the general internet reaction to Disney resetting the expanded universe was quite negative, but I'm actually interested in exploring that stuff for the first time now. Feels a lot less intimidating. I might just get that Luke Skywalker book when it comes out, just to hype myself up a bit for the upcoming movies.

The book seems fine so far, not far enough at the moment to really judge it. It's a pretty quick read, which is fine by me after a pretty heavy book on the North Korean concentration camps. Still not sure if the tv show is for me. It seems like it's mostly aimed at a younger audience, which isn't a problem at all because there's nothing wrong with well made children's television, but it feels more like something I'll watch when the first season is completed rather than watching it every week.

Loving this show a LOT hope they keep this up to for the season I'd say I love the fact the tone is inspired by the OT and they've nailed the tone so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom