• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Squadrons... you played it? Does it warrant a sequel?

Does Star Wars: Squadrons merit a sequel

• Yes, Motive Montreal are on to something with this game

Votes: 58 47.9%
  • No, move on and try something different

Votes: 63 52.1%

• Total voters

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Seeing as a n64 game blows it away… no .. no it doesn’t .. horrible controls and forgettable stages.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
It was a solid $40 game, advertised as such and true to their word. It does prove that they could do a proper Tie Fighter or X-Wing Alliance remake or sequel, if they really wanted to...

It's a great game for me (I played it in vr) but I think it's main issue is the management of shields thrust and fire power during a combat. You have to decide where address the ship energy and in the mean time you have to fly think a strategy and survive. I died 9 times on 10. It's over complicated without reason. Also you have to grind to much to unlock ship upgrades and when you have unlock it It's not clear which component fit better your ship and which are the best combination for every ship. Maybe on reddit there are explanation but I should not rely on external info to enjoy a game

Unk Adams

Banned
The gameplay is decent, but everything around it is bland and uninteresting. I can't see myself spending valuable gaming time on a sequel if they decided to release it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What's interesting about this game is that it got tagged "Surprisingly good" by media and then 2 weeks after release no one remembered it came out.

"Surprisingly good" was a MiB mind wipe.

Last edited:

OldBoyGamer

Banned
I went into it thinking this was finally an update to the x-wing/tie fighter series. And whilst the general game is…. It just lacked that SW magic for me.

The story and characters all felt like fanfic to me. If they made a sequel where I got to play some of the big SW movie battle set pieces I’d be interested. But to put me in an x-wing and a tie fighter and NOT let me play at least the battle of the Death Star? Massive fail for me.

Also the vehicles can be really finnicky to control. The sensitivity for Gamepad just wasn’t good enough for me.

Its sitting on my PS5 waiting to start, but its really low on my backlog, its just there because it was free on PS+ really. Maybe if someone comes over who is really into Star Wars (unlike me, its good fun but I'm not hot on it, I'm guessing since I never saw the originals as a child) I'll boot it up and have a go but it didn't seem like it matched the things its referencing let a lone surpassed them so I'm not in a hurry to play it.

It kinda pains me to say because I would like more variety in gaming and more arcade style generally, but I say focus on Jedi: Fallen Order, just because they seemed to do better there. I reckon the first Jedi: Fallen Order sequel will be better but the 2nd will really nail the gameplay probably so I'm excited to see what they do there.

I think the most important question is this though: Can you get ponchos for the ships in Squadrons?
They should make an FPS Jedi game. Imagine how cool that would be.

Fbh

I'd only be interested in a sequel if they improve the controls, add a third person option and vastly expand and improve on the single player (maybe with optional coop).

The gameplay and missions weren't particularly fun, and the multiplayer felt lacking in content and kinda got stale after a week.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
So what do you think of Star Wars: Squadrons? Should it be a 'one and done' or should Motive put all their eggs in one basket and risk a sequel?
It was really unexciting/dull for all the reasons you already listed.
Which makes the visuals - which are a step above everything else in the genre - kind of a waste, since it's just a pretty stage backdrop in the end.

Fixing core gameplay design & loop would be nice - but with first game that alienated core audience (people that thought this was going to be revisiting X-Wing/Tie-Fighter like experience), sequel would have its work cut-out to bring people back for another ride. I know I'm in no rush to jump back, especially since EAs last decade StarWars track record is incredibly bland to begin with (especially narratively) so there's no real redeeming qualities on the face of it to look forward to.

I played it in VR and being able to see the interiors of these ships I've loved for years, was incredible. They put so much detail into the ship interiors. I looked back in a Uwing and could see the entire cargo area. Was amazing. But actually playing the game was kind of meh. Lots of examples of stupid AI. I saw and Xwing get stuck on asteroid geometry for several minutes. Never took damage or exploded. Story was dumb. Not sure what's so special about a ship with a really strong tractor beam. And where normally inclusion doesn't bother me, why do I even know that one of these male TIE fighter pilots has a husband? Characters were really annoying. Scale seemed off as well with some of the larger ships, but that may have been an issue created with VR?

Overall, graphics were incredible in VR. Gameplay and story was really poor. It completely failed to capture what I really enjoyed in Xwing, TIE fighter, and Xwing VS TIE Fighter on PC.

Last edited:
I loved the game in VR and would love to see a sequel where they bring back more elements from x-wing alliance, but I agree with others here that the game can get quite stale really quick.

jonnyp

Only played some of the SP and found it incredibly boring. But not really a fan of the genre anyway

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Hell No. I really hated it

Had more fun with the barebones flying missions in Battlefront 2015

PsyEd

If it's like a part of the next BF3 game...then yes but definitely not a stand alone. I stopped buying EA games....thanks to amazon prime, got it free and just got boring for me real fast. Got it free again via PS+...VR was nice for 10 mins. Anyway I hope the game is not by EA.

DCDW

I honestly didn't give it enough time. I would say having more levels on planets or with more focus yc flying around areas or things in space would help. Everytime I played a an open area map in space, the dogfights felt like it boiled down to spinning in circles like a jackass. I know there's more to it than that (using brakes, etc), but I just didn't enjoy it to get much further in to it. Having things to fly around helped reduce the spinning dog fights but when it happened, I just hated the game.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Great gameplay, but gof awful story. Too much talking from uninteresting peopl while all you wanna do is get on with the next mission. Was frustrating.

It needed far more missions and less story. Just send me out to shoot shit, I have no interest in your obsession with trying to make me feel something.

Also, noy every map needs a huge setpiece. It's okay to just be in open space.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Only played a few missions in VR. Thought the game was pretty fun and impresive.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I still want a fully focused single player SW sim. I'm aware squadrons had some single player, but it wasn't the main focus. It's been forever and games like rogue squadron and x-wing vs tie fighter are a weeeeee bit dated now, though I still love them.

Bartski

Gold Member
There is always something about the controls in space fly shooters that kills all the fun for me, I tried Squadrons on game pass and quickly uninstalled it by the end of the first mission.

I'm just here to simp for Chorus really, it's so damn good. Don't sleep on it if you like this type of stuff. Demo in the link.

Hari Seldon

Just checked and I ended up logging 52 hours in the game. Pretty nice for $40. The single player was weak but the multiplayer was fun and would have had more legs with me if there were more modes and maps. I would love an expanded sequel. It beats yet another FPS or BR game for sure. We probably won't though, just another boring linear single player cinematic game which I won't give a shit about.

Batiman

Banned
It was ok. I like that it was pretty challenging (or I was just shit?). Was playing it on normal and it was kicking my ass. Maybe I’ll give it another shot now that I got an X. I want to see SW in next gen.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
All I do in these games is hit breaks, turn until a target is in front of me, fire...over and over and over again.

Are there any flight games that ask you to do more than "Here come 8 enemy ships! Shoot them all down and then we'll send another batch your way!"

I had the same feeling with the latest Ace Combat game.

CuNi

I always hoped, and most likely will keep on hoping, for a true "Rogue Squadron"-Sequel, maybe even with VR Support.

Gp1

I'm playing this game "almost" the way it should be played. Flight stick and track ir. (edti: which fells pretty dumb, since... THE GOODMAN TIE FIGHTER HAS ONLY ONE CENTRAL FRONT WINDOW. When you stop to think, it's one o the dumbest fighters design ever.)

The gameplay is somewhat good but SP still miles behind Xwing alliance upgraded / Tie fighter reimagined. The writing it's just... uninspired at the best. The 'inclusion squadrons' are bland and one dimensional as hell, even if they addressed a common complain about the Disney movies and included a bunch of aliens, they are just boring. I "loved" how they creatively named the black rebel captain "Laindo". :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Didn't touched the MP yet.

Until now... The verdict is just buy the old games for peanuts and mod them.

All I do in these games is hit breaks, turn until a target is in front of me, fire...over and over and over again.

Are there any flight games that ask you to do more than Here come 8 enemy ships! Shoot them all down and then we'll send another batch your way!"

The real flight sims where you have some sort of energy management.

Last edited:
It's like they made the foundation for a good game and just didn't care about content or giving it any life...and I know they were promoting the multiplayer side of it a bit more but even that felt pretty empty...Hell the Singleplayer campaign really just felt like a tutorial for the empty multiplayer mode lol.

If you want a good single player 3D Space shooter try out Chorus...Got 8/10's on tons of sites out there, and was a really dope sleeper that came out right at the end of the year.

Yup, they are trying to recreate the hangers from the older games as well as Wing Commander. It's just that in VR you have a sense of space and want to walk around and look at everything. You can move around a ship to look at it from different angles, but you can crawl under it and example every detail.

Motion sickness will vary person to person, but I didn't find it bad. Cockpit games are normally easier games to get into since you're not moving around. It's VR games where you are moving around large distances than create a vision/brain/actual movement disconnect that can cause sickness.

With a cockpit games it closer to just normal motion sickness like in a car or plane. But since you aren't actually moving it might effect you less
It made me quite queasy, however I seem to recall there was a VR refresh rate issue initially.

I too would prefer the more zen like feeling of approaching, finding and fighting with stretched of space to cover. Also, I would really like for them to create a sense of belonging and urgency - that is no skipping sides and less focus on the player being in huge encounters. Let us cover some points, do some scouting, scan some ships etc.

Would probably try a sequel.

Last edited:

SScorpio

It made me quite queasy, however I seem to recall there was a VR refresh rate issue initially.

I too would prefer the more zen like feeling of approaching, finding and fighting with stretched of space to cover. Also, I would really like for them to create a sense of belonging and urgency - that is no skipping sides and less focus on the player being in huge encounters. Let us cover some points, do some scouting, scan some ships etc.

Would probably try a sequel.
I would be surprised if the press and Youtubers didn't complain "most boring game ever" if they did release something like that.

If you do want something like that and are OK with the more basic graphics. There's a TIE Fighter total conversion mod of X-Wing Alliance that supports VR.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/tie-fighter-total-conversion-tftc

Reactions: Gp1

Spacefish

Space sims were among my favourite genres. I have been asking for a new one for 2 decades. I got this game for free and haven't downloaded it because it looks like shit, I don't want anything from these B-teams at EA.

tylrdiablos

Sequel if they can get new writers.
This.
It's rare for me to skip cut-scenes/dialogue, but holy shit, the conversations between missions drove me up the wall with how tedious they were.
After 3/4 missions I was spamming the ESC/skip button, I just didn't care. Let me into the next mission so I blow things up.
Once I'd finished the campaign I uninstalled the game because I was so eager to get away from it.

Sentenza

1- If you aren't going to play it with a flight stick don't even bother. But that's true for any pseudo flight-sim (or "light-sim" as I like to call them).
2- It's pretty much a simplified, dumbed down take on past glorious titles like X-Wing and Tie Fighter. Not even bad per se, but the campaign was clearly a low effort thing.
3- A short, fairly dull campaign with some uninteresting writing didn't allow the core gameplay loop to shine properly.
4- The multiplayer was fairly amusing and even a blast on the short term, but A) not particularly balanced B) too poor in content to have long legs.

Play Freespace 2 with mods if you have a PC and a flight stick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

OrtizTwelve

OK game. I wish they would have added a 3rd person view to see your ship like the OG rogue squadron games. I didn’t like the default 1st person view despite that being the point of the game.

Top Bottom